ADVERTISEMENT

Football One problem with UAA

Mt.DoraGator

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2013
This conclusion is just my perception but the statements below are true.
The UAA is a not-for-profit corporation that supports the university's missions. The UAA's mission is to improve and operate the school's athletic programs and facilities, and to support the university's teaching, research, and service missions.
The leader is Scott Stricklin and we don't need to discuss him.
But the real problem may the board of directors of UAA. While all of them may be really good people, do you know who they are and how long they have been at UF?
Amy Hass was placed on the board by Stricklin. She has been at UF since 2006 as general counsel and now she oversee human resources, legal affairs, Title IX Compliance, student health, student academic services and the softball program.
Chip Howard is in his 32nd year with UAA as assistant AD and is in charge of football scheduling (sarcastic thank you) and capital projects ( a recent sincere thank you.)
Dave "Duke" Werner has been with UF for 30 years and deals with basketball, student health injuries and stuff
Lindsey Thomas has been with UAA since 2007 and I'm not sure what she does other than lacrosse.
Mike Spiegler has been with UF since 1987 and he seems to be a jack of all trades.
Do you see the common thread that all of the board members above have been at UF at least 17 years and up to 35 years? How about a little new blood and retire some of the old blook? If I was a mega-donor I would insist on new blood on this board or else that $25 million that might be donated to buy out Napier could be directed to Shands or some other department at UF. Since Meyer left everything has changed in the football football world except this board and they have overseen the demise of this program. This seems to be the last element of "the old guard" and they should be held accountable by being replaced.
Posters have stated they think the UAA should separate from UF but I don't see that happening. First of all wouldn't they lose their tax exempt status if not a part of UF? How many donors will open their checkbooks if their donations are not tax deductible (itemized cash gifts to UAA are tax deductible)? Perhaps one of our lawyer or CPA posters can clarify this.
Once again all of this is my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.