ADVERTISEMENT

Maverick is a fantastic movie!

Sorry, saw the previews during commercials that show his old fat face in that helmet and it blew it for me.

The only reason I would watch it is to see how closely they try to follow the original when he actually looked the part.

Reactions: EvilWayz
I am in disbelief that they filmed a movie that celebrates the military and American Exceptionalism.

Tom has some serious pull to get that past Hollywood censors.

It’s an awesome movie!!!!
I've been anticipating this film for 37 years. It better be good.

Reactions: JimGaster
I'm with you, Jim. It was fantastic. Better than the first one for me...more mature. BTW, for those of you who can: SEE THIS IN ScreenX! Freaking unbelievable flight scenes with screens taking up 270 degrees of your vision!!!

EDIT: If you can, I'd suggest IMAX for first viewing and ScreenX for a second. If only one or the other, ScreenX.

I've been anticipating this film for 37 years. It better be good.
maverick-top-gun.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
My wife, older son, and I saw this over the holiday weekend. Definitely recommend it. It has the typical implausible plot threads you see in most action movies, but the flight sequences, special effects, etc were incredible. And, like the OP stated, it was a pro-military and pro-America movie.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
Normally not a huge Tom Cruise fan, but I thought the movie was fantastic. No unnecessary sleazy crap, language was pretty tame considering the first movie and the flight scenes were awesome. Of course the story line was a little far fetched, but nothing approaching Fast and Furious 19 and counting.

Would highly recommend for any aviation fan.

I haven't seen the movie yet so for all of you that have please tell me one thing, is Maverick still flying the same F-14 Tomcat that he flew in the first film ?

I'm glad it stands for something other than wokism, but I cannot ever watch another movie of his for his involvement in Scientology and all the behind-the-scenes crap that went along with it. He's a (excuse me for this) piece of shit!

Reactions: EvilWayz
Conisdering even the new MiG, the Mikoyan MiG-35, which I think only the Ruskies have, isn't going toe to toe with an F-35C. Which is what they SHOULD have been using in the Navy, since they've had 'em since 2019.
Well, considering that they finished filming in April 2019 it's kind of understandable that they filmed using F/A-18E/F's. Gotta remember that the movie was supposed to be a holiday release in 2019.

BTW, for those of you who might be interested...give this a watch. ACTUAL dudes who have been squadron/wing commanders (one was a CAG and one was a Marine aviator who flew 35's) discuss the movie on a panel immediately after watching. Any who think the maneuvers are bogus or impossible...think again.

Reactions: BCSpell
Saw it a few days ago and loved it. Huge adrenaline rush. 8.5/10

Better than the fun, but cheesy original, which we watched again the day before seeing the sequel to prep.

Very little cussing. Maybe one or 2 instances.

Only nod to wokism was the cast of pilots who are "the best there are". They checked every box in the diversity and inclusion playbook. That said, it did not detract from the film.

I don't want to post any spoilers, so I will wait till many have seen it.

One thing about the original bothers me a lot. Iceman holding in the pattern for a shot at the enemy for 20 seconds after Mav told him to get out since he had the shot in the training exercise that killed Goose. Ice's actions imperiled Mav and put them in the jet wash that led to the flat spin. Sure Goose hit his head on the canopy, an accident, but how is Ice blameless in all of this? That is some BS ...

Well, considering that they finished filming in April 2019 it's kind of understandable that they filmed using F/A-18E/F's. Gotta remember that the movie was supposed to be a holiday release in 2019.

BTW, for those of you who might be interested...give this a watch. ACTUAL dudes who have been squadron/wing commanders (one was a CAG and one was a Marine aviator who flew 35's) discuss the movie on a panel immediately after watching. Any who think the maneuvers are bogus or impossible...think again.

The Corps has had F-35 aircraft in operating capacity since 2015. The Marines Corps is department of the Navy, they could have used those. The F/A-18x platform is ancient.

Saw it a few days ago and loved it. Huge adrenaline rush. 8.5/10

Better than the fun, but cheesy original, which we watched again the day before seeing the sequel to prep.

Very little cussing. Maybe one or 2 instances.

Only nod to wokism was the cast of pilots who are "the best there are". They checked every box in the diversity and inclusion playbook. That said, it did not detract from the film.

I don't want to post any spoilers, so I will wait till many have seen it.

One thing about the original bothers me a lot. Iceman holding in the pattern for a shot at the enemy for 20 seconds after Mav told him to get out since he had the shot in the training exercise that killed Goose. Ice's actions imperiled Mav and put them in the jet wash that led to the flat spin. Sure Goose hit his head on the canopy, an accident, but how is Ice blameless in all of this? That is some BS ...
ice-man-topgun.gif

The Corps has had F-35 aircraft in operating capacity since 2015. The Marines Corps is department of the Navy, they could have used those. The F/A-18x platform is ancient.
Great, but were they using F-35 at Navy Fighter Weapons School in 2019? Seems to me that they were simply using what was valid at the time. And don't forget...it might not have been the call of the production team. Navy had the sign-off and provided jets and pilots. Ancient or not, Super Hornets were launching and trapping on flat decks when this film was made.

EDIT: BTW, the Navy's Flight Demonstration Squadron (Blue Angels) didn't transition TO the Super Hornet until 2020, after this film was already in the can.

Great, but were they using F-35 at Navy Fighter Weapons School in 2019? Seems to me that they were simply using what was valid at the time. And don't forget...it might not have been the call of the production team. Navy had the sign-off and provided jets and pilots. Ancient or not, Super Hornets were launching and trapping on flat decks when this film was made.
I'd have to check, but generally, the new tech goes to training assets first.

And in this day and age, using fighter attack assets on the target they were talking about is dumb.

I'd either use a stealth bomber or HALO a SEAL team in and blow it up.

I'd have to check, but generally, the new tech goes to training assets first.

And in this day and age, using fighter attack assets on the target they were talking about is dumb.

I'd either use a stealth bomber or HALO a SEAL team in and blow it up.
It's a movie. Not real life. You seem to want a documentary. This ain't it.

If you feel this strongly perhaps you should write a screenplay.

In any event, please watch the video I linked. Don't worry, it's not ALL in favor of what's presented. Just mostly.

• Haha
Reactions: LordofallSocks
It's a movie. Not real life. You seem to want a documentary. This ain't it.

If you feel this strongly perhaps you should write a screenplay.

In any event, please watch the video I linked. Don't worry, it's not ALL in favor of what's presented. Just mostly.
I am not someone you want to watch a military movie with.

Watching that video now.

Last edited:
They mentioned the F35 in the film and why they could not use them. I did not quite catch the reason.

Its crazy how in the movie Iran has all of the sudden gotten 5th gen fighters. It has to be Iran even though unnamed.

Oh as for the mission can we say Star Wars LOL?

They mentioned the F35 in the film and why they could not use them. I did not quite catch the reason.

Its crazy how in the movie Iran has all of the sudden gotten 5th gen fighters. It has to be Iran even though unnamed.

Oh as for the mission can we say Star Wars LOL?

The Russians were supposed to build and export 5th Gen fighters (SU-57). India would pay the bills, Russia would build them with their expertise. The problem is that Russia doesn't really have the expertise. They can't build suitable engines nor can they produce stealth aircraft on par with the West.

When this movie was made, this was all known but not widely accepted.

Countries like Iran, Syria, NK, Vietnam, Venezuela, former Soviet blocs were going to be customers.

The Russians were supposed to build and export 5th Gen fighters (SU-57). India would pay the bills, Russia would build them with their expertise. The problem is that Russia doesn't really have the expertise. They can't build suitable engines nor can they produce stealth aircraft on par with the West.

When this movie was made, this was all known but not widely accepted.

Countries like Iran, Syria, NK, Vietnam, Venezuela, former Soviet blocs were going to be customers.
100% accurate. I have lived around fighter pilots my whole life (lived at Eglin AFB for over 5 decades)...and Russia's stuff is not NEARLY as good as reported. But do not let that info get out to the defense lobbyists! The mig 25 was supposed to be SO far advanced (was the reason for the F 15 development) , bt when that Russian pilot flew one in to Japan, and we looked at it much closer...that charade was over. NOBODY has airplanes like we do. We are decades ahead of everyone in this area. (yes, even China)

Reactions: BamaFan1137
While a multi-role aircraft, the F-35 has proven problematic in a CAS role below 25,000 feet.
In the situation in the movie, it would be ineffective.

Which is why instead of getting the superhornet's out flying below the hard deck, you use two stealth aircraft, one flying in to jam the radar, the other tactical bombing from high.

Or you HALO drop SEALs in and let them do what they do best, kill people and blow shit up.

Hell, if this is hte facility we know about in Iran, you could drive a Paladin up to the Iraq border and hit it from there.

100% accurate. I have lived around fighter pilots my whole life (lived at Eglin AFB for over 5 decades)...and Russia's stuff is not NEARLY as good as reported. But do not let that info get out to the defense lobbyists! The mig 25 was supposed to be SO far advanced (was the reason for the F 15 development) , bt when that Russian pilot flew one in to Japan, and we looked at it much closer...that charade was over. NOBODY has airplanes like we do. We are decades ahead of everyone in this area. (yes, even China)

They can build tough, they can build cheap and they can build fast but they cannot build high tech nor efficient.

The Mig-25 was a monster with amazing speed but it's range was ridiculously short and its avionics were a joke. The Russians still cannot build a jet engine that creates massive power and long range. They can build one or the other but they cannot combine the two.

Interestingly enough, the SU-27, with which the SU-57 is built upon, was only possible for Russian engineers due to stolen technology from our F-15 program. The SU-57 is a modernized version of the SU-27. Both still suffer from inefficient engines. The 27 was only suitable as a defensive weapon due to its relatively short range. To extend range it has to be loaded with so much fuel that it struggles at takeoff and then there is a tradeoff on how much armament it can carry.

One last nerd point...these engines are also why Russia and China struggle with aircraft carriers. Due to weight and fuel capacity, they've always had to use ski-jump carriers to get their jets off the deck. That limits their abilities from their flight decks and gives us a massive Naval advantage. The Chinese are attempting to rectify this gap but we will see.

While a multi-role aircraft, the F-35 has proven problematic in a CAS role below 25,000 feet.

Which is why instead of getting the superhornet's out flying below the hard deck, you use two stealth aircraft, one flying in to jam the radar, the other tactical bombing from high.

Or you HALO drop SEALs in and let them do what they do best, kill people and blow shit up.

Hell, if this is hte facility we know about in Iran, you could drive a Paladin up to the Iraq border and hit it from there.

Also you use one F35 to jam, another to acquire targets and then you load up legacy aircraft like the Super Hornet and the F15 with munitions at stand-off range. The F35 track targets, the legacy aircraft fire missiles and they get directed on target by aircraft that the enemy cannot track.

Also you use one F35 to jam, another to acquire targets and then you load up legacy aircraft like the Super Hornet and the F15 with munitions at stand-off range. The F35 track targets, the legacy aircraft fire missiles and they get directed on target by aircraft that the enemy cannot track.
Are you a retired Naval aviator or Air Man ??

Are you a retired Naval aviator or Air Man ??

I should have been but I went another route.

My dream was to become a Naval Aviator but I just didn't get it done. It's still a passion so I'm a student of it to this day.

I came close to pulling the trigger but the Navy wanted me to get my degree in Aeronautical Engineering and that did not interest me. The Airforce had no such qualms but as a young man, with a young man's ego, that distinction bothered me. I wanted to land F18's and F14's on floating runways. Stupid...I should have become an Airman. It would have been a perfect fit.

The services have always gone back and forth on who had the best "crap." When I was 17-18, it was clearly the Navy on top. Today the Airforce clearly has the better toys and I would have been a part of that transition with the F22 and the lion share of 35's as well.

Youth I wasted on the young...like young me for example.

Reactions: greyghost14

Yes, but that would spoil the whole premise of the movie.:po_O

I should have been but I went another route.

My dream was to become a Naval Aviator but I just didn't get it done. It's still a passion so I'm a student of it to this day.

I came close to pulling the trigger but the Navy wanted me to get my degree in Aeronautical Engineering and that did not interest me. The Airforce had no such qualms but as a young man, with a young man's ego, that distinction bothered me. I wanted to land F18's and F14's on floating runways. Stupid...I should have become an Airman. It would have been a perfect fit.

The services have always gone back and forth on who had the best "crap." When I was 17-18, it was clearly the Navy on top. Today the Airforce clearly has the better toys and I would have been a part of that transition with the F22 and the lion share of 35's as well.

Youth I wasted on the young...like young me for example.
I know all Naval aviators have call signs, if you want I can nominate yours as “Donut”.
;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT