ADVERTISEMENT

March Madness poll

Game is on the line. You need a 3. Who do you pick?

• Chris Chiozza

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike Miller

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Lee Humphrey

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • Bradley Beal

• Teddy Dupay

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Brett Nelson

• Jason Williams

• Matt Bonner

• Anthony Roberson

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Other, too many to list!

• Total voters
Our top 2 all-time most accurate 3 point shooters were Joe Lawrence (.504) and Andrew Moten (.445). Humphrey was 3rd at .444, but he hit so many clutch shots during those championship runs I'd take Humphrey any day.

Our top 2 all-time most accurate 3 point shooters were Joe Lawrence (.504) and Andrew Moten (.445). Humphrey was 3rd at .444, but he hit so many clutch shots during those championship runs I'd take Humphrey any day.
How good was their accuracy while under pressure? That does make a difference.

LOL Brett Nelson. From what I remember, he ended his career a shell of his former self.
Yeah, poor Brett Nelson. he had a decent freshman year and solid sophomore and junior years. But his senior year he was not very good and lost playing time to Anthony Roberson. Overall he is the 20th all time career scorer, 4th all time in made 3 pointers, a career .398 shooter from long range. He was .825 from the foul line, but had a bad assist to turnover ratio, with 406 assists to 301 turnovers. That's worse than Kasey Hill!!! I wouldn't have Nelson on my list of all time point guards or clutch players. Decent career, but not elite.

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
LOL Brett Nelson. From what I remember, he ended his career a shell of his former self.

Yeah, poor Brett Nelson. he had a decent freshman year and solid sophomore and junior years. But his senior year he was not very good and lost playing time to Anthony Roberson. Overall he is the 20th all time career scorer, 2nd all time in made 3 pointers, a career .398 shooter from long range. He was .825 from the foul line, but had a bad assist to turnover ratio, with 406 assists to 301 turnovers. That's worse than Kasey Hill!!! I wouldn't have Nelson on my list of all time point guards or clutch players. Decent career, but not elite.

With 10 seconds and down by 2..
He would not be the guy I throw the ball in to and hope he drives in for a layup or passes the ball to the final score.

However if he was wide open on the wing with 3 seconds left...I wouldn't hesitate at all to let him shoot that shot.

How about Craig Brown (circa the 1994 tournament). Hit some big ones...Should not be forgotten...Dan Cross too.
When you look back at Gator basketball, I would say that other than Kentucky we've been the best program in the SEC. Lots of quality players have come through the program. The 1st gator basketball game I attended was in February 1969 (my senior year in high school) where I watched Neal Walk lead UF to an 82-81 win over Dan Issell and Kentucky. I've been a Gator BB fan ever since. Walk averaged almost 18 rebounds and 24 points per game that year on his way to being the 2nd player picked in the NBA draft. His junior year his rebounding average was almost 20 per game, leading the NCAA.

Reactions: Panhandle Slim1
Scan10043.JPG

I remember being at the SEC tourney back in like 2000 or maybe 01. Teddy and Brett made about 40 threes in a row in warm ups between the two, those guys are sharp shooters the way Humphrey was too. I think maybe people forget, or haven't been watching that long either most likely.

Billy had some dudes that could stroke it

I’d take Mike Miller or Bradley Beal. They both can create their own shot and are also able to pull up over a defender. Humphrey may be the best pure shooter but he’s not a guy that can create his own shot or a player you draw plays for. Humphrey didn’t run off a lot of screens. As good as a shooter he was Humphrey as to be very thankful that he was on a team with Noah and Horford. 2 big men you had to respect that opened up the perimeter.

Game on the line and I need a 3 I’m running a play for Mike Miller or Brad Beal.

I’d take Mike Miller or Bradley Beal. They both can create their own shot and are also able to pull up over a defender. Humphrey may be the best pure shooter but he’s not a guy that can create his own shot or a player you draw plays for. Humphrey didn’t run off a lot of screens. As good as a shooter he was Humphrey as to be very thankful that he was on a team with Noah and Horford. 2 big men you had to respect that opened up the perimeter.

Game on the line and I need a 3 I’m running a play for Mike Miller or Brad Beal.

Yeah...wouldn’t really need to “create his own shots” on an All-Time team.

I loved Andrew CeClercq. What a hustling, all-in player.
Da Meat Hook, the Thin Fin, the Norwegian Collegian...

That team had it all, plus incredible nicknames and they just went on a run for the ages. sadgator actually attended that regional final in Miami against B.C. Still to this day, that was the most exciting and enjoyable Gator sporting event sadgator has ever attended...and it isn’t even close. Miami Arena was raucous and deafening, and we were in awe of what was happening...

sadgator loves gator hoops deep in his soul, man.

Da Meat Hook, the Thin Fin, the Norwegian Collegian...

That team had it all, plus incredible nicknames and they just went on a run for the ages. sadgator actually attended that regional final in Miami against B.C. Still to this day, that was the most exciting and enjoyable Gator sporting event sadgator has ever attended...and it isn’t even close. Miami Arena was raucous and deafening, and we were in awe of what was happening...

sadgator loves gator hoops deep in his soul, man.
Wasn’t that the game where Declerq had that amazing block?

I think the question is who do you want shooting a three point shot at the end of a game? There is no question there are a lot of former Gators that were more athletic and were far better at creating their own shot than Lee. But he was the best clutch three point shooter in Gator lore. I think he still holds the all time NCAA tournament record for threes.

Wasn’t that the game where Declerq had that amazing block?
sadgator doesn’t remember one particular block, but Craig Brown hit three consecutive three pointers as the game came down the stretch to pull away which sent the crowd into orbit.

Given our hoops success since then, it doesn’t seem like a huge deal, but at the time, it was simply unfathomable that we were actually going to the Final Four...

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I think the question is who do you want shooting a three point shot at the end of a game? There is no question there are a lot of former Gators that were more athletic and were far better at creating their own shot than Lee. But he was the best clutch three point shooter in Gator lore. I think he still holds the all time NCAA tournament record for threes.
Exactly!

Why I defended putting Brett Nelson on the list. I wouldn't want Brett trying to create his own shot but he'd be in my top 5 or so to take the 3 if needed.

If talking about creating their own play I'd have to seriously look at Dupay, Brewer, J Will, and Roberson...plus the two you mentioned.

If you are the coach and you have Beal and Hump on the same team, you tell Beal to pass to Hump if he is wide open..

Lee Humphrey made 47 3's in 15 NCAA tournament games, most ever. Shelvin Mack of Butler is 2nd with 43 in 13 games, followed by Bobby Hurley of Duke with 42 in 20 games. Mr. Clutch in my book.

Lee Humphrey made 47 3's in 15 NCAA tournament games, most ever. Shelvin Mack of Butler is 2nd with 43 in 13 games, followed by Bobby Hurley of Duke with 42 in 20 games. Mr. Clutch in my book.

Man...Bobby Hurley played in 20 games? The most you can do is 24. That’s impressive.

Makes sense though when you go to three straight final 4 and win 2 of them.

Still don’t know how that 93 Duke team managed to get bounced before the Sweet 16 in 93. They had Bobby Hurley and Grant Hill for God’s sake. That was a team that won it in 91 and 92, was the runner up in 90 and 94 and went to the final every year from 88 through 92.

Tangent, I know, but strikes me as odd.

Lee set a record for 3's in the Dance and they won 2 Championships.

Dupay and Nelson went something like 3 of 22 vs MichSt to lose a Championship.

Humps the man imo, but like with so many other things, each to his own... :cool:

Everybody forgot to mention Michael Frazier holds the single game 3's SEC record with 11 vs South Cackalacky only 3 or so years ago. He was en fuego that game.

Frazier also had 118 threes that season, which was the most in a single season of any Gator. Humphrey had 113 in each of the two title seasons for 2nd most in a season.

Everybody forgot to mention Michael Frazier holds the single game 3's SEC record with 11 vs South Cackalacky only 3 or so years ago. He was en fuego that game.

Frazier also had 118 threes that season, which was the most in a single season of any Gator. Humphrey had 113 in each of the two title seasons for 2nd most in a season.
Hence the "other" option to vote. You didn't mark other.

Reactions: instaGATOR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT