ADVERTISEMENT

Manuel to Sign Scholarship Agreement Instead of an LOI - Anyone know the difference ?

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Would love to have Manuel at UF. Hopefully his academics are now in order. We will see what happens.

Info From Rivals Article - https://florida.rivals.com/news/flo...manuel-won-t-sign-in-feb-has-officials-coming

On academic status: "I have everything good, passed my tests and everything."

Signing plans: "I'm not signing in February. I'm going to wait. I'm not sure yet, but I know I'm going to wait.

From 247 - Manuel said the plan is to sign April 1. If he waits that long, he would be signing a scholarship agreement with the school he chooses rather then a letter of intent.

I am not completely sure what the difference is, but here is what I found out.

"...Athletic Aid Agreements are Athletic Scholarship Contracts
Most athletes think a National Letter of Intent is your scholarship. That is not the case. The actual scholarship contract is known as an Athletic Aid Agreement. This contract outlines how much your scholarship will be worth and covers what you must do in order to keep your scholarship. Each school is slightly different, but below is an explanation of each section of these contracts.

Conditions for Athletic Scholarship Eligibility
You need to be a student of the school, meet the NCAA eligibility standards and also meet the guidelines set forth by each school’s student athlete handbook. The conditions section covers a wide range of topics from NCAA eligibility to meeting the strength and conditioning guidelines. Most of the terms in this section cover what you must due in order to get your scholarship, not necessarily what you need to do to keep it."
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/example-athletic-aid-agreement.htm

On the recruiting front, Manuel committed to Florida a year ago but didn’t sign in December and won’t sign in the upcoming February Signing Period either. He said his commitment to the Gators is still solid but he does have a few other schools on his list and two official trips locked in.

Along with Florida, Manuel said Baylor, Mississippi and Oregon are on his list as well. He said he’ll officially visit Oregon (Jan. 24) and Ole Miss (Jan. 31).

“I just wanted to take a look at some other schools and make sure I’m doing the right thing. That’s why I put out a top four recently. I don’t want to be blindsided by anything, this is a big decision and I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing.”

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ks-Florida-Oregon-Baylor-Ole-Miss--142259693/

Last edited:
I think the difference is the LOI is locking in the “intent” to enter into the scholarship agreement later, whereas if he waits until UF has the scholarship agreement prepared, there’s no reason to sign an LOI ..... you go ahead and sign up

I think the difference is the LOI is locking in the “intent” to enter into the scholarship agreement later, whereas if he waits until UF has the scholarship agreement prepared, there’s no reason to sign an LOI ..... you go ahead and sign up

Irish.

Sounds reasonable

Looks as thought, we will have to continue recruiting him, but if I am reading his Rivals' article correctly, Manuel is saying that he is good to go on all his academic work.

Manuel & Shorter together, could add a little something to the WR room.

Jan 24th could still end up with the 1st three or four recruits are Gators, & the rest are out of luck !

Thanks

Last edited:
If Manuel signs an LOI but academics do not allow him in, he still counts towards the 29 schollies available. Signing him earlier could result in a complete loss of that scholly in such a scenario. From what I have heard/read, his grades' outlook are still unknown and will remain so till March at the earliest.

If Manuel signs an LOI but academics do not allow him in, he still counts towards the 29 schollies available. Signing him earlier could result in a complete loss of that scholly in such a scenario. From what I have heard/read, his grades' outlook are still unknown and will remain so till March at the earliest.

SwampLander,

Good thoughts,

That is probably why he is saying he will wait & sign a Scholarship Agreement April 1st.

If he qualifies, is there any real difference in admission date between Manuel signing in April or even later, in June ? His academic situation should be fully resolved by then.

If we wait & he doesn't qualify, tough to get another HS player that late, but the scholarship counter could still be used for a transfer right ?

Thanks for insight,

Last edited:
Signing a LOI doesn't just lock in the recruit to a school. It also locks the school into a ship for the recruit, his guarantee that he has a place at the school for the next academic year.

So, IF UF gets another top WR's commit with LOI on NSD, then Manuel may be forced to look-go elsewhere. :cool:

This is also why Manuel is releasing his Top 4 while committed to UF. He's just being realistic with where he stands and I like the fact that both he and Mullen are being pretty straight with each other.

Definitely want him in the class and at school. Cant' teach height/length and athleticism.

I think this is correct. I think if you sign after NSD, it's no longer a LOI you sign.

Let him go wherever the hell he wants to. If he doesn't want to sign in February then look for someone that wants to sign and play. NO need to have to beg this kid to come to Florida.

Let him go wherever the hell he wants to. If he doesn't want to sign in February then look for someone that wants to sign and play. NO need to have to beg this kid to come to Florida.

Tebow,

Imagine, it's Jan 24th, Mullen, Coaches, Football Staff, & all the recruits on OV are sitting around after a great meal.

Mullen, has a strange smile on his face !

A staff member, with pen & paper in hand, walks over to stand by each recruit on OV; Coach Rat is standing by Avantae Williams.

Mullen's smile gets even bigger when he says -

"The first four who sign are Gators, the rest of you can start packing !
Paybacks are HELL !"

A dream I have been having !

Agree with you to a point...it's not always that simple. Lots of factors. If he's a baller then get him into school if you can. A lot of guys transfer and sit for a year...can't build a program based on today most of the time. I'm sure Mullen will do the best thing for the moment but really you don't know what you have, sometimes for years.

I think you are missing this - UF also doesn't' want him to sign in Feb.

If he signs and doesn't qualify it costs UF a counter. By April he'll know for sure if he'll qualify to get into UF, is my understanding.

It's best for UF for him NOT to sign in Feb.

SwampLander,

Good thoughts,

That is probably why he is saying he will wait & sign a Scholarship Agreement April 1st.

If he qualifies, is there any real difference in admission date between Manuel signing in April or even later, in June ? His academic situation should be fully resolved by then.

If we wait & he doesn't qualify, tough to get another HS player that late, but the scholarship counter could still be used for a transfer right ?

Thanks for insight,

If he signs an LOI, that spot is then reserved for him and only him. If he does not make it in, the scholly is lost, period. It can not be used for anyone else including a transfer.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
We're finally getting back to a point where we are getting what we want and need again at every position. Heck...even Bama struggles with what they need every year, who leaves early, who gets hurt and having a "young group" every few years...and sometimes you just get exposed in a game.

Things are trending our way. We're stacking talent....can't believe that when people talk about this football program (our homers) that they aren't talking about how we were a few plays away from being in the CFP after being 4-8 a couple of years ago. Mullen is building a monster...I haven't been this excited since him and Meyer were in Gainesville.

How many more transfers do you guys expect? Every team is going to have them after the spring. It seems like every coach would be able to sign 1-3 over expecting normal attrition that happens every off season. Player wants more PT, disciplinary problems, or invited to look elsewhere.

I think you are missing this - UF also doesn't' want him to sign in Feb.

If he signs and doesn't qualify it costs UF a counter. By April he'll know for sure if he'll qualify to get into UF, is my understanding.

It's best for UF for him NOT to sign in Feb.

That was my thought, too. It is entirely possible - maybe probable - that it is the coaching staff not wanting him to sign a LOI in a couple of weeks.

That was my thought, too. It is entirely possible - maybe probable - that it is the coaching staff not wanting him to sign a LOI in a couple of weeks.

The Feb signing date is the "earliest" you can sign...he's planning to sing on the last day April 1 (yes fool's day I know) so he/the coaches have a better idea of the grades.

How many more transfers do you guys expect? Every team is going to have them after the spring. It seems like every coach would be able to sign 1-3 over expecting normal attrition that happens every off season. Player wants more PT, disciplinary problems, or invited to look elsewhere.
I wouldn't know but several of the guys that have transferred from UF lately seem to be guys that are getting shown the door because of PT, can't qualify and are making room for better talent. We've needed to take chances on some guys because of talent/depth but even the best teams do it. Either way...I'm super happy with the 'state of the nation' at UF's football program.

The Feb signing date is the "earliest" you can sign...he's planning to sing on the last day April 1 (yes fool's day I know) so he/the coaches have a better idea of the grades.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you. It certainly makes sense that Mullen would not want to use a slot for a guy who is iffy academically.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
If he signs an LOI, that spot is then reserved for him and only him. If he does not make it in, the scholly is lost, period. It can not be used for anyone else including a transfer.

For a while. But it can be used for a transfer eventually.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT