ADVERTISEMENT

Mann, Locke, Glover Gone - Who's Next?

And now back to the thread topic....

SF Samson Ruzhentsev 6-7 192 So leaves UF and signs with KK Mega Basket in Serbia.

From an immediate impact standpoint, Florida isn't exactly losing a ton with Ruzhentsev going out the door. In the 2020-21 season, the wing averaged just 7 minutes with 2 Pt's and 0.7 Rb's/Gm, connecting on just 34.1% of all his shots, including only a 46.2% mark from two-point range.

With Johnson, Duruji, and Felder on the roster, he likely wasn't going to see much playing time for at least another year while working to develop some SEC level skills. I think that he saw the writing on the wall and decided to go back closer to home and cash in on what he can right now....

Good luck to him anyway, but mostly AMF.

And now back to the thread topic....

SF Samson Ruzhentsev 6-7 192 So leaves UF and signs with KK Mega Basket in Serbia.

From an immediate impact standpoint, Florida isn't exactly losing a ton with Ruzhentsev going out the door. In the 2020-21 season, the wing averaged just 7 minutes with 2 Pt's and 0.7 Rb's/Gm, connecting on just 34.1% of all his shots, including only a 46.2% mark from two-point range.

With Johnson, Duruji, and Felder on the roster, he likely wasn't going to see much playing time for at least another year while working to develop some SEC level skills. I think that he saw the writing on the wall and decided to go back closer to home and cash in on what he can right now....

Good luck to him anyway, but mostly AMF.
Hate to see him leave. He came in with a reputation as a great shooter and was looking forward to his development between last year and next. According to the article I read, he was rated as the 48th best player and 8th best small forward in the nation coming out of high school. Oh well. Best wishes to he and any other Gators who decide to go down another path. Their lives, their choices.

Play up to what? Being a late 2nd round pick in the NBA draft where everyone knows it's a crapshoot after the top 3-5?
The level of even being considered for the draft, even though it is a crapshoot. I know all pro leagues draft a lot on potential, but Scottie was basically worthless last year in a Gator uniform.

JMOHO -- Lewis lost sight of his priorities during the scamdemic.

He was more interested in promoting the communist based BLM, than honing his own skills as a scholarship player, and helping his team develop as a unit. Wasted potential.

He needs to learn about life, before he tries to tell others how to live their life....

I said months ago that of those that were leaving, I'd only miss Mann, and maybe hot & cold (inconsistent game to game) SG Locke. The other 4 departures were addition by subtraction for various reasons.

Last edited:
The other night I was watching an SEC Network replay of the UF / VU game. One of the commentators mentioned something that I was unaware of and that I found interesting.

As of that game, Mike White was 105-10 in his games at UF where the Gators were leading in the last 5 minutes of the game.
😲

Kinda shoots holes in the haters claim that he loses a lot of games by slowing down the offense late in games.....
🤔

The other night I was watching an SEC Network replay of the UF / VU game. One of the commentators mentioned something that I was unaware of and that I found interesting.

As of that game, Mike White was 105-10 in his games at UF where the Gators were leading in the last 5 minutes of the game.
😲

Kinda shoots holes in the haters claim that he loses a lot of games by slowing down the offense late in games.....
🤔

lol - So because he starts the slow mo mess even earlier than the final 5 mins like he did in our last loss in the tournament it makes it alright? What is his record against FSU with a lead at the 5 minutes remaining mark?

Last edited:
Reactions: gatordad3

😲

🤔
This guy doesn't agree with you.

Reactions: Gator Fever
The UF Admin, the UAA, the AD, and most of the Gator fan base know that the few haters are just insignificant whiners.

Rivals might even encourage or pay them in an attempt to keep their board active and viable....
🤔

See for yourself right here....
The Gators’ average KenPom finish (26.5), 63 conference wins and 6 NCAA Tournament wins all trail only Kentucky in the SEC over the course of White’s six seasons.

~ The Gators have played the toughest schedule of any SEC team, both overall and non-conference, over White’s tenure with an average KenPom schedule-strength ranking of 20.8.
~ In six seasons, the Gators have never played a schedule ranked below 36th.
~ While every other team in the SEC has played multiple schedules outside the top 40.

Last edited:
The UF Admin, the UAA, the AD, and most of the Gator fan base know that the few haters are just insignificant whiners.

Rivals might even encourage or pay them in an attempt to keep their board active and viable....
🤔

See for yourself right here....
The Gators’ average KenPom finish (26.5), 63 conference wins and 6 NCAA Tournament wins all trail only Kentucky in the SEC over the course of White’s six seasons.

~ The Gators have played the toughest schedule of any SEC team, both overall and non-conference, over White’s tenure with an average KenPom schedule-strength ranking of 20.8.
~ In six seasons, the Gators have never played a schedule ranked below 36th.
~ While every other team in the SEC has played multiple schedules outside the top 40.

Reminder that White hasn't even won the SEC Championship while a couple of coaches have with about the same time in as him.

Reminder that White has lost to FSU every year.

Reminder that White hasn't even warranted the nets being cut down.

No reminder needed that the fevered brain wanted both Franks and Jones over Trask.

I think that it's time for me to return the fevered brain to the LLL/DG group of losers that are not worth the time it takes to say STFU moe-ron, so bye-now. And be sure to stand in that circle with them....

No reminder needed that the fevered brain wanted both Franks and Jones over Trask.

I think that it's time for me to return the fevered brain to the LLL/DG group of losers that are not worth the time it takes to say STFU moe-ron, so bye-now. And be sure to stand in that circle with them....

You know dang well I wanted Franks out literally from the time he took over. He was Driskel 2.0 for us.

SG Elijah Kennedy 6-4 180 - Va Beach, VA
He was the VHSCA Class 5 State PoY in 2021 and notched a 37-point outing with NINE 3-pointers in a single game during the 2021 regionals, then went for 27 in the state semifinals and 21 in the championship game.

His HS shared a state championship in 2020 and the state runner-up in 2021.

The 6-foot-4 left-hander is regarded as one of the "purest shooters in the state" according to The Virginian Pilot.
(other Mike White Gators from VaBch - K.Johnson & D.Fenny-Smith)

Welcome!! We need more shooters!
Where would we put any more shooters?
Looks pretty lay-O-ded to me for now....
🤓

SG Phlandrous Fleming Jr 6-5 205 - Grad-xfer - 20 PPG
(One of two in Charleston Southern history to reach 1,000 Pts, 500 rbs, 200 asts, 100 stls and 50 blks. Had 30 20+ Pt Gms, including 7 30+ Pt Gms.)
😲

SG Brandon McKissic 6-3 185 - Grad-xfer - 17.2 PPG
CG Myreon Jones 6-3 175 - Sr - 15.3 PPG, PSU's #1 scorer
-----
CG/SF Niels Lane 6-5 206 - So
(A HS career 1,000-point scorer and 2019 state champion.)

SG Kowacie Reeves Jr 6-6 182 - Fr - HS Sr Ave 27 PPG, 10 Rb/Gm
SG Elijah Kennedy 6-4 175 - Fr - Ave 28.3 PPG in 3 HS playoff Gms.
(He was the VHSCA Class 5A State Player of the Year in 2021 and 5A State Champs)
-----
SG Alex Klatsky 6-4 185 - rsSo W-O
(A 4-year varsity starter and 2-year captain, part of 104 wins in his career.)
CG Jack May 6-4 175 So W-O
(Averaged 10.7 PPG as a HS Sr)

Loo-king GUD....
😎

Last edited:
Where would we put any more shooters?
Looks pretty lay-O-ded to me for now....
🤓

SG Phlandrous Fleming Jr 6-5 205 - Grad-xfer - 20 PPG
(One of two in Charleston Southern history to reach 1,000 Pts, 500 rbs, 200 asts, 100 stls and 50 blks. Had 30 20+ Pt Gms, including 7 30+ Pt Gms.)
😲

SG Brandon McKissic 6-3 185 - Grad-xfer - 17.2 PPG
CG Myreon Jones 6-3 175 - Sr - 15.3 PPG, PSU's #1 scorer
-----
CG/SF Niels Lane 6-5 206 - So
(A HS career 1,000-point scorer and 2019 state champion.)

SG Kowacie Reeves Jr 6-6 182 - Fr - HS Sr Ave 27 PPG, 10 Rb/Gm
SG Elijah Kennedy 6-4 175 - Fr - Ave 28.3 PPG in 3 HS playoff Gms.
-----
SG Alex Klatsky 6-4 185 - rsSo W-O
(A 4-year varsity starter and 2-year captain, part of 104 wins in his career.)
CG Jack May 6-4 175 So W-O
(Averaged 10.7 PPG as a HS Sr)

Loo-king GUD....
😎
Paper vs actually results may vary.....get back to me after this season.

Agree. This team is filled with a bunch of guys who have never played together and those who have college experience haven't played the level of competition they're getting ready to face. Hope it works out and that this team surprises the "experts" who have predicted a very mediocre season. Time will tell.

Sounds good to me, it's always easier to judge a season after it's done and in the books...
So, can we review a similar situation from 2020-21?

You mean like the paper difference between NR Appleby from Cleveland State, and 5 star MickyD AA Lewis?

CG Tyree Appleby 6-1 163 -- Horizon League, Cleveland St - 247 NR
2020 - 25 Gms, 28.5 Min, 3.1 Rbs, 3.3 Ast, 1.5 Stl, 11.3 PPG
-----
2020 - 21 Gms, 25.5 Min, 3.1 Rbs, 1.5 Ast, 1.6 Stl, 7.9 PPG
CG Scottie Lewis 6-5 189 ***** - MickyD AA

Personally, I'm glad that Lewis is gone while Appleby is still here.....
😉

The Florida men's basketball team has added Soph forward Tuongthach Gatkek 6-9 175, the team announced on Friday.

Gatkek comes to the Gators from Trinity Valley (Texas) Community College, where he averaged 10 points, 6.9 rebounds and 2.2 blocked shots per game in 2020-21. ( TOON-sike GAT-kek; Goes by Tuon)
=====

His strong points seem to be scoring in the post, with rebounds, blocked shots, and steals on defense.

Points scored per 40 minutes of game time = 62.9 Pts, FG shooting = 66.3%

Weak points: He's only a 42.4% FT shooter and he will need to put on some muscle weight for SEC play.

I'm not comparing him to Brewer's overall talent level yet at all, just saying that he somewhat reminds me of Corey to look at...

The Florida men's basketball team has added Soph forward Tuongthach Gatkek 6-9 175, the team announced on Friday.

Gatkek comes to the Gators from Trinity Valley (Texas) Community College, where he averaged 10 points, 6.9 rebounds and 2.2 blocked shots per game in 2020-21. ( TOON-sike GAT-kek; Goes by Tuon)
=====

His strong points seem to be scoring in the post, with rebounds, blocked shots, and steals on defense.

Weak points: He's only a 42.4% FT shooter and he will need to put on some muscle weight for SEC play.

I'm not comparing him to Brewer's overall talent level yet at all, just saying that he somewhat reminds me of Corey to look at...

He will have to pack a lot of weight on to have a chance.

=====

Project player. Good practice body

As usual, it will take a few games into the new season for the starters and the depth chart to settle out.
This new roster should be interesting to watch develop across the coming season...

PF/SF Keyontae Johnson 6-5 229 Sr
PF/SF Tuongthach Gatkek 6-9 175 So
PF Anthony Duruji 6-7 209 Sr
PF CJ Felder 6-7 231 Jr

2 Centers, 4 Forwards, 7 Ship Guards + 2 WO Guards, (2PG/3SG/4CG).

If would be wonderful if Keyontae Johnson is able to play and is back at his previous level. Huge boost for the team if it happens.

If would be wonderful if Keyontae Johnson is able to play and is back at his previous level. Huge boost for the team if it happens.
I gotta put this in the wishful thinking category. I can't see him ever being allowed to go really full out in training ever again, and you can't be an elite athlete if you can't push your body to the edge. He's like a vase that's was broken and glued back together. It looks just the same as it always did, but can you ever trust that you can put water in it again?

But hey, who am I to cast stones? I'm the one who was hoping the Jags could somehow draft Trevor Lawrence and Kyle Pitts, who only ended up being drafted 21 spots before the Jags picked again. 🤣

IF they won't let him play at the college level anymore, and IF he still wants to play, he can always do what LB Scott Brantley did when UF/SEC/NCAA shut him out,,,, he can turn Pro and play.
Scot Brantley, a star linebacker in Gainesville from 1976 until a September 1979 afternoon when he took a knee to the head that ended his Florida football career. The doctors and UF would never let him play at UF again. He was then hired by the Bucs and played 8 years in the NFL. >> While Tebow also took a concussion knee to the head, recovered, and continued to play both college and pro. It varies greatly.

KJ would be a tough loss for the Gators, but there is a way out if that's what he wants to do.
In beginning this train of thought, I did a quick search and it seems that others are ahead of me on this.

Others are already talking about it here.
This is just one of the many good comments in their discussion there:

murphree_hall said:
To answer your first question, well... yeah. We hide injuries from the military all the time to do things we want to do. I’m not saying it’s right. Not only that, but I’ve played on a lot of organized basketball teams and most people who were hurt just played through it. You might be in a lot of pain, but if the coach asks you if you are ok, you’re going to lie and say yes. Everyone wants to be on the floor. Once again, I’m not saying it’s right. Yes, the organization has a responsibility and if I know someone is hurt, I’m pulling them out.

Second, I’m not equating the military to sports, I’m equating the mentality of competitive people.

Third, I’m not saying he should be reckless. I’m saying if he is cleared medically, he should play if he wants. You seem to be in the camp of he had this one issue so he should never play to avoid all risk.

We all live our lives differently. You seem to be very risk averse and prioritize a long life over going for what you want. I definitely respect that. But... not everyone thinks like you. I’m trying to live my life as close to the way I want to in the time I have. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. (iG - Amen brother)

Some Good News --

Jitoboh Streamlines Focus, Waistline​

"I know when I look at it I'm going to say, 'Man, why'd I let that happen.'
That's why I'm doing what I'm doing.
I made a commitment to myself and the team."

https://floridagators.com/news/2021/8/23/mens-basketball-jitoboh-streamlines-focus-waistline.aspx
=====================

This is what the 2021-22 Roster looks like to me today:

PG
Tyree Appleby 6-1 163 rsSr (CleSt xfer)
Myreon Jones 6-3 175 Sr - PSU

CG/SF
Phlandrous Fleming Jr 6-5 205 GradSr - CharSo
Brandon McKissic 6-3 185 Grad-Sr - UMKC
Jack May 6-4 175 So - WO

SG/SF
Niels Lane 6-5 206 So
Alex Klatsky 6-4 185 rsSo - WO
Kowacie Reeves 6-6 182 Fr - Macon, GA
Elijah Kennedy 6-4 180 Fr - VaBch, VA

SF/PF
Anthony Duruji 6-7 209 rsSr - (LaT)
Keyontae Johnson 6-5 229 Sr (not yet cleared to play)

PF
CJ Felder 6-7 231 Jr - BC
Tuongthach 'Tuon' Gatkek 6-9 175 Jr - TrinValCC
(from Who's Next, to Who's Last - JuCo xfer - Ave/Gm 9.7 Pts, 6.9 Rbs, 2.2 Blks)

PF/C Colin Castleton 6-11 231 Sr - (Mich)
C Jason Jitoboh 6-11 290 Jr

The first 2022 Gator Basketball Commit.

Narrowing down his 16 offers to 7 on August 1. Then making true of his Sept 1st intentions to choose the program he would continue his basketball career for, he's elected to join head basketball coach Mike White’s roster.

“I chose Florida because of the relationship I built over time with them,” he said. “They've been recruiting me since the beginning of my sophomore year and I have a great relationship with coach White and all the assistant coaches. I also really liked the way they want to play me as a versatile four who can play inside out, come off pick and rolls, and pick and pops.”

“I've looked at the way coach has used guys like Keyonte Johnson and Dorian Finley Smith,” he continued. “He has a good record of good fours that he's coached and he lets them play free, stretch the court out and get to their spots. Also on the defensive side, being able to guard every position.”

PF Malik Reneau 6-8 225 **** - Montverde Academy, FL, one of the most renowned production factories for HS basketball talent in the United States

"Malik Reneau announces he is headed to Gainesville and will play for Mike White. HUGE pickup for the Gators — who beat out Memphis and in-state Florida State and Miami." -- Jeff Goodman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT