ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like our former coach...

Since Spurrier came home I've been thinking about something. The word is that the HBC "recommended" muschamp to SCar and endorsed his hiring. We all know Steve can be a me-monster. He has a legendary ego. What if he did that just to insure that he would be sorely missed by the cocks? It was a sure bet that muschamp would make them miss the old HBC

Yeah, ole Smart was flexing his coaching muscles today. That uga vs SCar game is going to be the game of the century. Maybe McElwain can take notes......

Smart must have photocopied one of Richt's old game plans. No need to work too hard when you have Jacob Eason and Nick Chubb to carry the team.

So going into the 2nd half, the team that lost to South Alabama last week is up 24-0.

Muschamp has a total of 90 yards.

7 of which came from his pride and joy rushing game

Reactions: GatorNation79
So the MSU QB just set the single game rushing record.

Just curious, what's the feeling around here these days about Mullen? Most thought he wouldn't fit as the head man at UF when we hired mudlump.

So the MSU QB just set the single game rushing record.

Just curious, what's the feeling around here these days about Mullen? Most thought he wouldn't fit as the head man at UF when we hired mudlump.

He's a douchebag who is a barely above .500 coach.

And he lost to USA.

Surely we aren't touting his coaching ability because he just beat a Muschamp coached USCe team.

No. But he is doing a nice job at a program that has maybe the smallest budget in the SEC.
The USA loss was horrific, but he doesn't have a history of those. He went 5-7 his first year but has had a winning record every year since.

I guess he's just grown on me over the years. The fact that he has stayed at State and built up the program and had the best 6 year run in MSU history has to be worth something. I was just wondering if folks around here had any change of heart about him. Nothing more

safgator has always respected Mullen. He gave us that '08 title. No hard feelings. But he rubs others the wrong way.
Yeah that's what I hear. Don't know him personally, but I've heard he is a jerk a million times from Florida people.
I do however know a ton of Mississippi coaches and players who have dealt with him. I don't hear from these people that he is a jerk. I have heard numerous times that the MSU baseball coach, Cohen, is a colossal A-hole. So that makes me think if they had bad things to say about Mullen I would have heard. My son is a HS senior LB, he has met Mullen through recruiting. Several friends of his have gone to MSU, they don't have negative things to say.
Also I don't remember many bad things being said from within the program. Players seemed to like him well enough. I don't know, sitting here watching tonight just got me thinking about it.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Mullen is a good coach. His problem is he's taken that program as far as it can go and he shoulda got out maybe 2-3 years ago. He's become a better coach since leaving UF though.

Yeah Mullen gave us that 2008 title.

Dominant defense with offensive players like Tebow, Harvin, Hernandez, the Pouncy's, Riley Cooper etc.

Must be tough to coach.

Yeah Mullen gave us that 2008 title.

Dominant defense with offensive players like Tebow, Harvin, Hernandez, the Pouncy's, Riley Cooper etc.

Must be tough to coach.
I can tell you from first hand experience that it's easy to be a great coach when you have the best players.
I think Mullen deserves more credit for some of the things he's accomplished at MSU than for what he did at Florida.

Reactions: sadgator
I can tell you from first hand experience that it's easy to be a great coach when you have the best players.
I think Mullen deserves more credit for some of the things he's accomplished at MSU than for what he did at Florida.

I'll agree with that.

I don't think he's a guy that would fair too well at a big school that needs their boosters kept happy.

Not really sold on Mullen as some great coach. He has beaten their non SEC competition for the most part but I think he only has one winning SEC year since he has been there.

sadgator has long-maintained that if Mullen doesn't come back to the bowl in '08, we don't win that title.

Lots of variables in that game, but he did us a solid for sure.

And tonight he bitch slapped Mustard, so he had tons of credit of goodwill with sadgator.

I cant but help to laugh when people discredit his record at MSU.

Nobody has won at MSU ethically as far back as I can remember which is somewhere around 1980.

Jackie Sherrill won ONE west title. That's when Tater Tot Bowden was one step out the door at Auburn, Tommy Tuberville was preparing to take over at AU all while coaching a probation riddled Ole Miss, Freaking Mike Dumbose was at Bama, hell who was at LSU? DiNardo? And Texas A&M was in the Big 12....oh and Houston Nutt (twice fired coach) was coaching the Hogs. Sherrill won that year by a lot of close games with a ton of luck. Plus we remember how ethical he was, right?

Mullen has done more with less, coaching in the best division against some top notch coaches. Or a top notch cheater when mentioning Hugh Freeze.

Has anyone not paid attention to the history of MSU? Spurrier gets all this credit for what he did at SCar but we are discrediting Mullen at MSU in the same breath.

Sure he may crap the bed this year but he has made MSU a factor instead of a homecoming opponent.

Reactions: keyzer soze
I cant but help to laugh when people discredit his record at MSU.

Nobody has won at MSU ethically as far back as I can remember which is somewhere around 1980.

Jackie Sherrill won ONE west title. That's when Tater Tot Bowden was one step out the door at Auburn, Tommy Tuberville was preparing to take over at AU all while coaching a probation riddled Ole Miss, Freaking Mike Dumbose was at Bama, hell who was at LSU? DiNardo? And Texas A&M was in the Big 12....oh and Houston Nutt (twice fired coach) was coaching the Hogs. Sherrill won that year by a lot of close games with a ton of luck. Plus we remember how ethical he was, right?

Mullen has done more with less, coaching in the best division against some top notch coaches. Or a top notch cheater when mentioning Hugh Freeze.

Has anyone not paid attention to the history of MSU? Spurrier gets all this credit for what he did at SCar but we are discrediting Mullen at MSU in the same breath.

Sure he may crap the bed this year but he has made MSU a factor instead of a homecoming opponent.

Sherrill had 3 winning SEC seasons and a West title and Sherrill also upset Spurrier a few times.

Mullen has a terrible record against ranked opponents. I think 2014 was about the only time his teams beat ranked opponents. He did beat us in 2010 but we didn't end the season ranked. That may be the stat something like he never beat a final top 25 ranked opponent despite all those chances except in the 2014 season - his lone winning SEC season.

We just disagree I guess. Not calling him a bad coach but I certainly dont consider him a very top level coach at all.

We need Ghost in here to once again share with us the Mullen Play Calling Wheel.With the retort; "How quickly we forget."

Reactions: keyzer soze
Sherrill had 3 winning SEC seasons and a West title and Sherrill also upset Spurrier a few times.

Mullen has a terrible record against ranked opponents. I think 2014 was about the only time his teams beat ranked opponents. He did beat us in 2010 but we didn't end the season ranked. That may be the stat something like he never beat a final top 25 ranked opponent despite all those chances except in the 2014 season - his lone winning SEC season.

We just disagree I guess. Not calling him a bad coach but I certainly dont consider him a very top level coach at all.
How many more times does it need to be said that Sherrill was a cheater.

How many more times does it need to be said that Sherrill was a cheater.

He may have been caught cheating but Sherrill didn't have some huge talent advantage over all the teams in the West those years looking at players that were drafted.

My main point is Mullen has not been good in the bigger games and he has had quite a few players drafted to the NFL since after the 2011 season.

Maybe I am just prejudiced against Mullen but I doubt any of us change the other person's mind on this subject.

Last edited:

I don't think he is top level either. However I don't think he is below average. I think he has done a descent job at a school with such small resources playing against some giants in the SEC West. Sherrill did pull off some upsets against Spurrier and had MSU highly competitive for two/three years. He had some bad losses as well.

We laugh about his play calling wheel while here at UF but in the same breath speak of our once vaunted offenses from the same time frame. Some downgrade how Mc couldn't adjust to having Treon as a starter but speak the great adjustment of the Meyer area and Chris Leak running a system he wasn't fit for midway through 05 and all of 06.

It was very close, but in the only thing that really matters SC squeaked out a 10 second time-of-possession victory.

Yet Dak Prescott acredited much of his NFL success to being prepared so well at MSU. And we also dogged Addazio whose team handled UMass like we should have.

Yep, no doubt about it, Michi, you are losing it. I guess we should just go ahead and hire Addazio now, or should we wait until the end of the season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT