ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s talk defensive personnel changes

johnhinson

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Sep 28, 2015
I really don’t understand why everyone wants the defensive GAME PLAN/PHILOSOPHY to change.

We had a stud defense the last 2 years with it.

To me it is truly a personnel issue. I argue we don’t have the Jims and the Joes necessary to be successful on defense currently in the starting line-up.

Think about it.

Now before I start. Apparently, I have to say that I personally have nothing against any of these young gentlemen. I wish all the success and happiness in the world for them. This is merely my opinion/perspective of them as a football prospect. I think it is truly sad I have to point that out before offering my opinion on a fan based football message board, but I guess that is just the sad world we live in now.

Now back to the actual purpose of the thread.

DB Shawn Davis - 3 star - we were battling Miami for him. A school that at the time was struggling to become bowl eligible in the ACC.
DB Donovan Stiner - 3 star - I think McElwain offered him on NSD because he missed out on everyone else. We weren’t battling anyone significant for him.
Brad Stewart - 4 star true - However, LSU didn’t offer him for a reason. McElwain was literally getting LSU’s leftovers.
Marco Wilson - 4 star - Freshmen stud who just hasn’t been the same since his injury against UK a few years ago. I have stated I thought it was a dirty play. I feel terrible for him, but now he is the worse DB in the entire SEC right now. We all have to move on.
Ventrell Miller - 3 star - I want to say this was another UF/Miami battle. We weren’t battling any studs for his services.
James Houston - 3 star - I don’t remember any kind of significant battle here at all.
Jeremiah Moon - 4 star - A LB from the state of Alabama that neither Alabama team wanted.

There were some good battles for current starters on the DL. I think the lack of depth and certain players playing out of position is killing their production. I believe with Campbell coming back there will be noticeable improvement for sure.

I will state Mullen needs to get over not playing freshmen for a significant amount of reps. We don’t have the depth for that stance this year. Get over it. Literally, my only critique for him as a coach. Mullen is the coach to lead us to our next national championship. He is a coach all about preparation though. He is not a wing it kinda guy. So Covid is gonna hurt him more than most coaches.

Meaning Humphries, Wingo, Hopper, Hill, Kimbrough, Johnson, and Torrence all need way more snaps.

Move Carter back to SDE. Have Gervon Dexter back him up this year. We need that added size on the edge desperately.

We should never have Cox or Moon with their hand in the dirt. Both are way too small and thin framed for that task. Greenard and Zuniga would whoop those boys in any kind of strength test, and I would have them pinning them down in a wrestling match in under 60 seconds.

If I am the opposing coach and I see those dudes with their hand in the dirt. I am running the ball right at them, which has been happening quite frequently btw for a ton of yardage.

To me I would play a more traditional 4-3 this season with Moon at SLB. He plays well in space. He isn’t much of a pass rusher. I think it would work well and add some good bulk to the front 7. I know this is the LB that comes off the field in Nickel, but to me DIABATE and Cox offer more as a pass rusher at the BUCK position. Bogle I would rotate in at SDE on more obvious passing down situations. Maybe rest Moon at SLB (if necessary) with Diabate. In those situations Bogle can rotate in at BUCK.

Miller has been very feast of famine at MLB. Honestly, I think we are just gonna have to live with that this season. Let him become more consistent. Maybe start rotating Wingo in there to get him some reps. He is the future IMO.

I’m tired of moving around Burney. I believe that is what has killed his development, but at the same time I don’t think he is a WLB. I think he is a strong safety that happens to weigh 230 lbs. He is faster and covers better than any of our current starting Safties. Who cares if he is that big. Isn’t that a good thing?

Hopper and Wingo IMO should be rotating at WLB.

I’m done with Houston as well. He can come down hill ok, but his lateral movement just isn’t there for an SEC LB IMO.

Starting line up...

Buck - Diabate or Cox
NT - Slaton/Dunlap
DT - Campbell/Humphries
SDE - Carter/Dexter

SLB - Moon/Diabate/Bogle
WLB - Hopper or Wingo
MLB - Miller/Wingo

CB - Elam/Kimbrough
CB - Hill/Kimbrough
NB - Johnson/Wilson
FS - Torrence/Johnson