ADVERTISEMENT

Kolozsvary Drafted Ahead of Schwartz

ocalaman

Bull Gator
Sep 4, 2002
Faedo drafted in the 1st round, pick #18. Guthrie pick #173 in the 6th round, Rivera pick #192 in the 6th round and Kolozsvary pick #197 in the 7th round. Schwartz still undrafted.

JJ needs to play his Sr season and show consistency all season.
That, and he and the coaches need to settle on a single position for him to play, either 1B or catcher.

Someone (don't remember who) pointed out that he seems to do better hitting when he's playing catcher. If so, and if Rivera (little Yogi) decides to go, then put JJ as the #1 catcher and maybe get him a pair of batting glasses.... o_O

Could it be possible that with JJ's Dad having MLB connections, maybe he put the word out that JJ was coming back for his senior season to get his degree?

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Doesn't make sense to me. Koloszvary? JJ has shown he's got power everywhere and that he can catch. I would think some team would take a chance and try to teach him a good approach at the plate. I wish he would just drive the ball where its pitched and not try to yank home runs every time up, although it's pretty exciting when he connects. He's hit some big ones lately.

Could it be possible that with JJ's Dad having MLB connections, maybe he put the word out that JJ was coming back for his senior season to get his degree?

If he wants to come back, I'd sure like to have him. He's been my favorite Gator since his freshman year. If he wants to play pro ball, I hope he gets that opportunity too. I'm sure it's tough to scuffle like he has after the numbers he put up as a freshman, but he has kept on working.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Whatever he chooses to do in 2018, I'll always wish him the best.
It just seems that his Soph-slump lasted for 2 years... :confused:

And I'm still not completely sure if he needs the glasses, of if they would be better used if he gave them to the freakin' Ump that's calling the balls and strikes.... o_O

Whatever he chooses to do in 2018, I'll always wish him the best.
It just seems that his Soph-slump lasted for 2 years... :confused:

And I'm still not completely sure if he needs the glasses, of if they would be better used if he gave them to the freakin' Ump that's calling the balls and strikes.... o_O

I mean, he's been one of our two or three best hitters the last two years. He hit some big home runs to get us to where we are. It's just that he looked like Mike Piazza his freshman year, and we all thought he would improve or at least keep it going. But the SEC got a book on him, and he hasn't been able to adjust. I think part of his problem is that he knows he can hit a home run every ab, so he gets caught up trying to do that at times.

His scouting report might be that he's easily pitched now because of his free swinging trying to pull everything, if pitchers know that going in the MLB for a guy making a start there, it could take a long time to start hitting in Minor league ball and up

19th round and still undrafted. Word must have been out that he's returning, otherwise it makes no sense. He had a fifth round grade going in.

Good day for the Gators on draft day. Along with Schwarz likely returning, looks like a couple of our top recruits dodged the draft as well. Hopefully JJ shows them what's up next year.

I mean, he's been one of our two or three best hitters the last two years. He hit some big home runs to get us to where we are. It's just that he looked like Mike Piazza his freshman year, and we all thought he would improve or at least keep it going. But the SEC got a book on him, and he hasn't been able to adjust. I think part of his problem is that he knows he can hit a home run every ab, so he gets caught up trying to do that at times.

AS A FRESHMAN (2015): In addition to being named the Louisville Slugger Co-2015 Freshman Player of the Year and as the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) Freshman Hitter of the Year, Schwarz attained All-American status from the American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA), Baseball America, D1Baseball, the NCBWA and Perfect Game…He also earned Freshman All-American recognition from Baseball America, D1Baseball, Collegiate Baseball, Louisville Slugger and the NCBWA…
~ .332, 16 doubles, 18 HR's, 73 RBI's, slugging % .629 (Nation: 3rd in 2B's, 4th HR's
------------------
Soph Season (2016)
~ .290, 15 doubles, 3 triples, 7 HR's, 60 RBI's, slugging % .456.
Walked 45 times, struck out 54 times.
-------------------
Jr Season (2017) (so far)
~ .271, 11 doubles, 0 triples, 12 HR's, 53 RBI's
Walked 35 times, struck out 55 times.

Pages more data/stats @ http://floridagators.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9890&path=baseball

Why? Clueless here.
Tongue-in-cheek speculations: :cool:
1. His softball NC sister graduated and left UF after his Fr year.
2. Did he get a HOT girlfriend after his Fr year? ;)
3. He will come out breathing flames for his final Sr season and go in the Top 10 of the next MLB draft... :) (iG crosses fingers)

Brady McConnell, 6'2", 175 SS from Merritt Island was ranked as the #75 prospect, JJ was #171. We're now in the 23rd round and neither have been drafted. Tommy Mace, 6'7", 200 RHP from Sunlake HS, was rated the #144 prospect and he wasn't picked until the 12th round, pick #347.

AS A FRESHMAN (2015): In addition to being named the Louisville Slugger Co-2015 Freshman Player of the Year and as the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) Freshman Hitter of the Year, Schwarz attained All-American status from the American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA), Baseball America, D1Baseball, the NCBWA and Perfect Game…He also earned Freshman All-American recognition from Baseball America, D1Baseball, Collegiate Baseball, Louisville Slugger and the NCBWA…
~ .332, 16 doubles, 18 HR's, 73 RBI's, slugging % .629 (Nation: 3rd in 2B's, 4th HR's
------------------
Soph Season (2016)
~ .290, 15 doubles, 3 triples, 7 HR's, 60 RBI's, slugging % .456.
Walked 45 times, struck out 54 times.
-------------------
Jr Season (2017) (so far)
~ .271, 11 doubles, 0 triples, 12 HR's, 53 RBI's
Walked 35 times, struck out 55 times.

Pages more data/stats @ http://floridagators.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9890&path=baseball

Why? Clueless here.
Tongue-in-cheek speculations: :cool:
1. His softball NC sister graduated and left UF after his Fr year.
2. Did he get a HOT girlfriend after his Fr year? ;)
3. He will come out breathing flames for his final Sr season and go in the Top 10 of the next MLB draft... :) (iG crosses fingers)

Maybe this will be a bit of a wakeup call for JJ that he really does need to find an approach at the plate that makes him a little more consistent. Nothing wrong with a few line drives in the gaps in between home runs. How many times do you see him 0-2, chasing breaking balls out of the zone and then go down swinging on a fastball at his eyes? He knows what to do with a fastball strike. He just needs to make them throw it. Anyway, I love the kid. I hope he goes on a kill-crazy rampage, starting Saturday (maybe it started in the Supers?) and running through next year, and gets himself back in the first few rounds where he belongs.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I have to believe he put the word out that he was coming back for his senior season. Frank Rubio & Deacon Liput just got drafted in the 29th round, they're already in Round 32 and JJ still hasn't been taken. MLB draft is more about potential than anything else and he surely has a ton of potential. HAS to be that he & Dad told the scouts he wouldn't sign this year.

A UF degree and another year as a star Gator baseball player, or near total anonymity in triple-a with 1,139 pick money?

Now let me think....... :confused:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT