ADVERTISEMENT

Football Judging Napier in 2024: Two seasons, two grades

grandhavendiddy

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2007
I was going to post this in response to BBlake's "I promise", but thought it was worthy of a separate post.

I view us as having two very distinct schedules. The first one - up through UGA which looks like our schedules in years past. Tough opponents, but one where we should win the majority of our games. Let me break down my thoughts and expectations for this first segment:

Miami (Home) - this is a MUST win for us. We have an experienced (and very effective) QB and are at home. Ward will be good, but it will take him time. This should be a win.
Samford (Home) - this is an "apprenticeship" game for us. Play DJ. Play Baugh. Get reps for depth.
TAMU - again, a MUST win and a can win. They have a new staff there and are on the road. This should be a win.
Miss State - if you are paid $8M+ a year at Florida, you beat MSU. Win. 4-0
UCF - at home, you simply cannot lose this game to a Directional Florida team. Hopefully we allow DJ to get meaningful reps. Win 5-0.
@UT - tough. Very tough. UT on the road is brutal. I call this a toss up with.... Call in 5-1
UK - ...need to win this one. 6-1 and Bowl Eligible by October 19th. Call it 6-1

If we get to this point where we are bowl eligible by UK, then I call this season a success and the program doing the things that we would expect of it.

Now to the brutal part. This requires it's own separate criterion and grade. Could easily go 2-3 or 1-4 at worst.

UGA - loss. Just keep it within 28 points. Best team in the country. 6-2
Texas (on road) - loss. Very, very good team, on the road. I will be there. Lose by 21 points. 6-3
LSU - win. Napier needs to win ONE of these "elite" games. Jaydon Daniels is gone (thank god). We are at home. 7-3
Ole Miss - win. This is a "must win" for optics reasons. Many (including myself) wonder if Lane would be better for UF than Napier. I could be right, or wildly wrong. If Lane boat races Napier here, the chorus for change will be loud, regardless of what happens above. If Napier wins, and assuming a 6-7 win season to this point, Lane is removed from the discussion. Maybe 8-3 or 7-4
@FSU - really tough as well. On the road. It's doable though. 8-4 or 7-5.

If we can go 6-1 in the "front 9" and then 2-3 on the "back 9", this season is a wild success. Even if we go 1-4 on the "back 9" with a 7 win record, it's a success for Napier.

Either way, I think we will do well for ourselves to view this in two segments, and for us golfers a, "front 9" and "back 9".

Hoping for the best, my friends. Enjoy the weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.