ADVERTISEMENT

joey wants a 44+% capital gains tax

No, I asked you were you an expert. once again YOU DON"T ACTUALLY READ MY POST.

I can't with you. If you refuse to read my post, then why bother.
“Guess on experts on everything should be allowed to vote”

1) *only, please try to use English like a native speaker would…there’s literally at least one typo or misspeak on a majority of your posts
2) You’re accusing me of acting like an “expert” “on everything”

And this isn’t an either or argument. Knowing what capital gains taxes are and being a tax expert are different.

Do you know what a transmission in a car is? Does that make you a transmission expert?

You really, really suck at this.

Ah yes, anyone that disagrees with you is a liar.

Setting that aside for a moment.

The written word provides little context or tone.

I could point out ten posts in this thread where imprecise language caused a misunderstanding.

Punctuation is a thing whether you believe it is or not.

So is precise language.

Are we kicking it in the hood? No, I don't believe we are.

Do you talk the same way to a loan officer as you do to your boys?

I should hope not since the banker would think you were ignorant and your friends would think you were being bougie at the very least.

You sound like an idiot when you misuse common phrases and idioms.

So do most rappers these days. Back in the day, Mc had a thorough command of the language but I'm not getting into that just now. I'm guessing that people who say dumb shit like throwing shots don't know any better. You do.

Generally if you can't manage to not mangle the grammar of the only language you speak, it's hard to get anyone to pay attention to your point.

I don't know if you've noticed, but you're already fighting uphill.

I'm not even going to dignify your last statement with a response.
There wasn't a disagreement. SO, that's an inaccurate statement. Like I said, I will say phrases or express myself based on my up bringing and culture. We use double negatives and say things that make people like mad regularly. I won't apologize for growing up in the black culture and I won't correct it to please you or anyone on this board. If it bothers you, then that is a, you problem. You hear or read bad grammar, my people hear normal. I am ok with that.

I don't need to be professional or proper on a Florida message board.

The way I talk and write has not stopped me from growing in my career. I am making 6 figures at a top pharma company; I think I am doing ok. I don't need your suggestion/advice on this but thanks.

“Guess on experts on everything should be allowed to vote”

1) *only, please try to use English like a native speaker would…there’s literally at least one typo or misspeak on a majority of your posts
2) You’re accusing me of acting like an “expert” “on everything”

And this isn’t an either or argument. Knowing what capital gains taxes are and being a tax expert are different.

Do you know what a transmission in a car is? Does that make you a transmission expert?

You really, really suck at this.
Like I said, until you learn to read my post and respond to what I actually wrote. Ill ignore you. I can't spend majority of my time saying, "I didn't say that", "did you read it" what are you talking about".

I don't have those issues with other people. The one thing I respect about lord is that he will actually read and respond to what you wrote. Shit, even Orange will reply correctly, if he remembers to reply.

Entitled is a strong word but I don't have issues with paying taxes to improve or sustain what makes America, America,

I do hate paying taxes on my damn bonus though.
That's a start. And you're right, entitled is the wrong word.

You don't pay taxes, they take them.

Why do you hate paying taxes on your bonus?

You're almost there.

• Haha
Reactions: Mdfgator
That's a start. And you're right, entitled is the wrong word.

You don't pay taxes, they take them.

Why do you hate paying taxes on your bonus?

You're almost there.
I think bonuses should be taxed over a certain amount, thats why i hate it. When I reach that amount then I'll be ok with it. So I'm not anti taxing bonuses.

Yes they take taxes.

• Haha
There wasn't a disagreement. SO, that's an inaccurate statement. Like I said, I will say phrases or express myself based on my up bringing and culture. We use double negatives and say things that make people like mad regularly. I won't apologize for growing up in the black culture and I won't correct it to please you or anyone on this board. If it bothers you, then that is a, you problem. You hear or read bad grammar, my people hear normal. I am ok with that.
We discussed this at length if I recall.

I don't need to be professional or proper on a Florida message board.
You are the one always talking about optics. If you enjoy being perceived as stupid when you are not, in point of fact, stupid I believe that's on you.

The way I talk and write has not stopped me from growing in my career. I am making 6 figures at a top pharma company; I think I am doing ok.
Assuming that's all true, counterpoint.

My formal schooling ends at high school. Other than military and law enforcement training which is designed with passing as opposed to weeding out in mind, I imagine you have far more schooling.

I often find myself in the company of people who are for more educated, cultured, and successful than I. I have to interact with them and I don't like being talked down to or dismissed because of my appearance or occupation, I have to do a little extra work to hold up my end of the conversation.

That requires research, visual feedback, body kinesetics and not a small amount of bullshit.

The appearance of intelligence and competence is just as useful as those qualities themselves up to a point.

I fail to see the point of education and success if you're going to continue to act like you did before you came up5, for what? Cred? so people you outpaced long ago won't think =you've change?

Ask yourself, if I really didn't care what these folks think about me, why amI here? You dont seem masochistic bit I'm not a shrink.

I don't need your suggestion/advice on this but thanks.
I'm sure you don't but we both know that it's offered for a reason even if it's unheeded. Contrary to popular opinion you can learn valuable life lessons from other peoples life experiences.

I think bonuses should be taxed over a certain amount, thats why i hate it. When I reach that amount then I'll be ok with it. So I'm not anti taxing bonuses.

Yes they take taxes.
This is crux of the matter. Bonus i_ for going above and beyond your job description, perhaps an incentive to innovate or find new revenue streams.

Yet the government gets a piece of that too.

So if the government only starts taking above X amount, what's you're incentive to work for any higher than that if you are keeping slightly more than half for your efforts.

Last edited:
We discussed this at length if I recall.

You are the one always talking about optics. If you enjoy being perceived as stupid when you are not, in point of fact, stupid I believe that's on you.

Assuming that's all true, counterpoint.

My formal schooling ends at high school. Other than military and law enforcement training which is designed with passing as opposed to weeding out in mind, I imagine you have far more schooling.

I often find myself in the company of people who are for more educated, cultured, and successful than I. I have to interact with them and I don't like being talked down to or dismissed because of my appearance or occupation, I have to do a little extra work to hold up my end of the conversation.

That requires research, visual feedback, body kinesetics and not a small amount of bullshit.

The appearance of intelligence and competence is just as useful as those qualities themselves up to a point.

I fail to see the point of education and success if you're going to continue to act like you did before you came up5, for what? Cred? so people you outpaced long ago won't think =you've change?

Ask yourself, if I really didn't care what these folks think about me, why amI here? You dont seem masochistic bit I'm not a shrink.

I'm sure you don't but we both know that it's offered for a reason even if it's unheeded. Contrary to popular opinion you can learn valuable life lessons from other peoples life experiences.
I don't believe in optics on a message board.

I never experienced being talked down to. When I am in a room, I always hold my own with my knowledge on the topic. Science is my life and that's all the people around me care about in my work environment. Nobody will correct me or look down upon me if I use have/has wrong but they will if I explain Mabselect or chrom 3 wrong.

I've been to many conventions and spoke. I actually went to one last wed in Manhattan. I get great reviews and comments. When I have to be proper or professional, yes I do make more conscious effort to speak and/or write properly but I'll never do it for this board. I barely even read my post before hitting "posy reply".

Offering advice only helps if I have a problem. My career and life suggests that I don't. I have a problem with this message board and it's irrelevant to my career and life. I literally gain nothing but being on this political message board.

I don't believe in optics on a message board.

I never experienced being talked down to. When I am in a room, I always hold my own with my knowledge on the topic. Science is my life and that's all the people around me care about in my work environment. Nobody will correct me or look down upon me if I use have/has wrong but they will if I explain Mabselect or chrom 3 wrong.

I've been to many conventions and spoke. I actually went to one last wed in Manhattan. I get great reviews and comments. When I have to be proper or professional, yes I do make more conscious effort to speak and/or write properly but I'll never do it for this board. I barely even read my post before hitting "posy reply".

Offering advice only helps if I have a problem. My career and life suggests that I don't. I have a problem with this message board and it's irrelevant to my career and life. I literally gain nothing but being on this political message board.
Logic forces me to ask why you're here, I can't see that as a good use of your time.

And good God man the stuff I tell you is specifically dealing with your interactions on this board. When I start telling you how to do your job or how to invest your money or tips on how K should live his best life, you best check me with a quickness.

This is crux of the matter. Bonus i_ for going above and beyond your job description, perhaps an incentive to innovate or find new revenue streams.

Yet the government gets a piece of that too.

So if the government only starts taking above X amount, what's you're incentive to work for any higher than that if you are keeping slightly more than half for your efforts.
I have found, working in this area for a very long time, that this argument doesn't really hold water. My clients worked just as hard if they paid 40% tax or 20% because they are still better off making more money even if it's taxed at a higher rate. And I have seen all kinds of tax rates over the years.

However, I am generally in favor of lower capital gains taxes......the reason is that the guys making cap gains are often the movers and shakers in the economy. If they only get taxed 20% on a capital gain they generally invest the 80% back into the economy which is good for all of us. The problem is that these guys are almost always pretty wealthy people......and its how Warren Buffett can sometimes ultimately pay a lower tax rate than his secretary.......which is a problem.

Wow, you are doing yourself no favors here credibility-wise ...
At least he is being honest Fresno, and most on here are not. As someone who has worked in this area most of his life I can tell you a lot of the stuff on here is incorrect info from people who pretend they know more than they do.

Reactions: kalimgoodman
At least he is being honest Fresno, and most on here are not. As someone who has worked in this area most of his life I can tell you a lot of the stuff on here is incorrect info from people who pretend they know more than they do.
That may be, but that is stunning naivete, especially when a 30 second google search can provide a basic framework for what is being discussed ...

That may be, but that is stunning naivete, especially when a 30 second google search can provide a basic framework for what is being discussed ...
Yes, but do you really think a 30 second google search gives you enough knowledge to discuss this with any confidence or depth? I prefer that Kalim just own up to it like he did.

I have found, working in this area for a very long time, that this argument doesn't really hold water. My clients worked just as hard if they paid 40% tax or 20% because they are still better off making more money even if it's taxed at a higher rate. And I have seen all kinds of tax rates over the years.

However, I am generally in favor of lower capital gains taxes......the reason is that the guys making cap gains are often the movers and shakers in the economy. If they only get taxed 20% on a capital gain they generally invest the 80% back into the economy which is good for all of us. The problem is that these guys are almost always pretty wealthy people......and its how Warren Buffett can sometimes ultimately pay a lower tax rate than his secretary.......which is a problem.

your second paragraph illustrates my point and contradicts your first.

The government shouldn't be the highest sector of job creation and they suck at running everything.

These people, unlike the government, didn't get rich by wasting money.

I'd rather Soros keep more of his money than the government give it to Ukraine or illegals.

Bygones.

Do you think the government is entitled to 44 percent of your investment return? But a lower rate if you write it off as loss? That's money they already taxed you on when you earned it.

If so why, and kindly show your work.
more so than they are entitled to 50+ from successfull workers. the idea of taxing capital at least on par with labor should be obvious. Who do you idiots think make the laws in the country? the poor? nope. the middle class? nope, the people that make a 1mm in ordianry income?? nope.. or the ultra wealthy that live off of their capital, most of which has never been taxed?? most mens and womans wealth are in the present value of thier lifetime earning capacity. why on earth would we have much higher rates on earnings?? i wonder why the power structure wants a moat around their spot in society. 44.6% wont pass because these poeple will never let it pass, wont happen. dust off simpson boles and lets get some sanity back into the system.

Yes they take taxes.
they take from the powerless to give to the powerful, the code isnt written for you or me its written for donald trump and his crowd, obviously. they make it as hard as possible to get into the country club. they dont tax 70%+ of the country so its not a voting issue, they know how to hide the ball...

more so than they are entitled to 50+ from successfull workers. the idea of taxing capital at least on par with labor should be obvious. Who do you idiots think make the laws in the country? the poor? nope. the middle class? nope, the people that make a 1mm in ordianry income?? nope.. or the ultra wealthy that live off of their capital, most of which has never been taxed?? most mens and womans wealth are in the present value of thier lifetime earning capacity. why on earth would we have much higher rates on earnings?? i wonder why the power structure wants a moat around their spot in society. 44.6% wont pass because these poeple will never let it pass, wont happen. dust off simpson boles and lets get some sanity back into the system.
So remind me again why you don't vote to change the tax code?

Personally i'm a big fan of eliminating it but I'm an extremist.

So remind me again why you don't vote to change the tax code?

Personally i'm a big fan of eliminating it but I'm an extremist.
because the tax code wont change, the country is run by th eultra wealthy. trump made the code worse not better, it put less accountability where its needed, not more. he made the code more progressive and less broad based than it was. biden didnt change trumps code. the sheep like their free shit and the ultra wealthy know who is coming for them..

I could point out ten posts in this thread where imprecise language caused a misunderstanding.

So is precise language.

I should hope not since the banker would think you were ignorant and your friends would think you were being bougie at the very least.

So do most rappers these days. Back in the day, Mc had a thorough command of the language but I'm not getting into that just now. I'm guessing that people who say dumb shit like throwing shots don't know any better. You do.

Generally if you can't manage to not mangle the grammar of the only language you speak, it's hard to get anyone to pay attention to your point.

Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

Reactions: fatman76

So is precise language.

Obama was a master at tailoring his speech to his audience.

• Haha
If this ever comes to fruition, this will make the stock market crash. Many will pull out of the market before the higher tax rate takes place.
all it does is increase the discount rate so younger people and those trying to accumulate wealth can get in more inexpensively. they need to do away with all the stimi in the housing market too, expensive housing is what prevents people from attaining the american dream. stimi only helps the haves in the system already. all the stimi from covid, 99% of it, went to the top 10% simply making life more difficult for 90%. its not the american way.

he knows. zero chance these people ever pay anything close to what those directly below them pay, not a chance in hell.

Like I said, until you learn to read my post and respond to what I actually wrote. Ill ignore you. I can't spend majority of my time saying, "I didn't say that", "did you read it" what are you talking about".

I don't have those issues with other people. The one thing I respect about lord is that he will actually read and respond to what you wrote. Shit, even Orange will reply correctly, if he remembers to reply.
You're deflecting.

It's obvious because I literally quoted you. I know exactly what you said because I repeated it.

Answer my questions:
1) Do you think our Corp tax rate should be higher than China?
2) Now that you know what a Capital Gains tax is, does 44% seem fair?
3) Do you know what a transmission in a car is? Are you a transmission expert?

• Haha

Why is the tax rate a problem? He is paying millions in taxes and his secretary is paying thousands.

• Haha
Why is the tax rate a problem? He is paying millions in taxes and his secretary is paying thousands.
The story is complete BS. It always has been. Our tax code is highly progressive, Buffet reduces his % with massive capital gains (taxed at a lower rate)...but regardless based on income levels it's impossible she paid 30%.

He has me on ignore, show this to him.

• Haha
your second paragraph illustrates my point and contradicts your first.

The government shouldn't be the highest sector of job creation and they suck at running everything.

These people, unlike the government, didn't get rich by wasting money.

I'd rather Soros keep more of his money than the government give it to Ukraine or illegals.
It doesn't contradict my first paragraph at all. They are separate points.

And I am not in favor of big government in general. But we have to have some balance. A completely market driven economy results in a few huge castles and a bunch of little shacks. That's not good for anybody except the castle owners.

And I am not in favor of big government in general. But we have to have some balance. A completely market driven economy results in a few huge castles and a bunch of little shacks. That's not good for anybody except the castle owners.
You're equating capitalism with feudalism now?

Then explain how the gov't is growing exponentially, tax revenues have never been higher, our tax code is getting more and more progressive....but the income inequality gap is rising?

I will give you a specific example. In 2023 the tax rate for a single individual gets higher than the capital gains rate once they get over $44,725 of taxable income. So lets assume Buffets secretary has $50,000 of taxable income and Warren Buffet has $50 million of taxable income in 2023.

Lets then assume that the secretary gets a $10K Christmas bonus in December and Buffet also makes an extra $10K capital gain in December, what tax is due on that income? I will assume Buffett is paying 20% on his capital gains because that is the basic rate.....some folks with pay 23.8% but I suspect Buffett will qualify for 20% on a lot of his deals.....but that is really an unknown.

So Buffett pays $2,000 on his capital gain and walks away with $8K profit.

The secretary pays $2,200 on her bonus in income tax. But there is a kicker, she also has to pay FICA/Social security tax on her earnings and Buffett doesn't. That's an additional 7.65% in tax.

So on her $10k bonus the secretary walks away with $7,035 in cash compared to Buffets $8,000. This is what Buffet is talking about....the marginal tax rates they are both in. Does this seem equitable to you?

Also note the numbers get much worse if the secretary is getting paid, say, $250K.....because then she pays 37% income tax instead of the 22% in my example. Someone in that situation would only walk away with only $6,155 of the $10 grand after taxes.

Its good to be Warren Buffett.

Last edited:
I will give you a specific example. In 2023 the tax rate for a single individual gets higher than the capital gains rate once they get over $44,725 of taxable income. So lets assume Buffets secretary has $50,000 of taxable income and Warren Buffet has $50 million of taxable income in 2023.

Lets then assume that the secretary gets a $10K Christmas bonus in December and Buffet also makes an extra $10K capital gain in December, what tax is due on that income? I will assume Buffett is paying 20% on his capital gains because that is the basic rate.....some folks with pay 23.8% but I suspect Buffett will qualify for 20% on a lot of his deals.....but that is really an unknown.

So Buffett pays $2,000 on his capital gain and walks away with $8K profit.

The secretary pays $2,200 on her bonus in income tax. But there is a kicker, she also has to pay FICA/Social security tax on her earnings and Buffett doesn't. That's an additional 7.65% in tax.

So on her $10k bonus the secretary walks away with $7,035 in cash compared to Buffets $8,000. This is what Buffet is talking about....the marginal tax rates they are both in. Does this seem equitable to you?

Also note the numbers get much worse if the secretary is getting paid, say, $250K.....because then she pays 37% income tax instead of the 22% in my example. Someone in that situation would only walk away with only $6,155 of the $10 grand after taxes.

Its good to be Warren Buffett.
You're cherry picking a bonus vs a capital gain. This is insane.

In 2011 when this claim was made her baseline federal tax rate (at $50k) was 6.8%.

Buffet made $62MM that year at a tax rate of 22.6%.

So when you add in her bonus she earned $60,000 in income and paid $5,600 in taxes. Her federal taxes were 9.3%.

Buffett paid $14,014,000 in taxes (after paying the 20% on the $10k capital gain) on income of $62,010,000. His tax rate was 22.6%. The $10k with the "tax benefit" wouldn't move the needle at all.

It's statistically impossible for him to have ever been lower than 9% when both income types are taxed at 20% or higher. Now were there massive losses and write offs? Who knows, but those would have been pretty devastating to get his tax liability below 10%.

Here's my source for tax rates based on income. And at that time $250k was taxed at 19.6%, not 37%.

The dems have pounded the drum for years that the rich need to pay their "fair share." But when asked what is the fair share or what percentage would be the fair share, not once have I heard any dem give a direct answer. Who exactly determines what's fair. The dems act like the concept of fair share is a fact rather than an opinion.

The dems have pounded the drum for years that the rich need to pay their "fair share." But when asked what is the fair share or what percentage would be the fair share, not once have I heard any dem give a direct answer. Who exactly determines what's fair. The dems act like the concept of fair share is a fact rather than an opinion.
It's socialism every time they use this talking point.

The top 1% pay 47% of all Federal Tax revenue.

The top 50% pay 97.7% of all Federal Tax revenue.

You read that right...about half of the working population pays ~2% of the Federal Tax revenue.

How much more do you want the rich to pay? How much more of a break can you give the bottom 50%?

Reactions: Orangeclad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT