ADVERTISEMENT

Jimbo Fisher crying about having to play Charleston Southern on 5 days rest

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/...ppy-with-early-season-schedule-150158884.html

"Start times for the first four games of Florida State’s 2016 season were announced last week, and Seminoles head coach Jimbo Fisher is not happy about how it all plays out. At a booster event in Tampa on Sunday night, Fisher expressed his distaste for the 12:30 p.m. kick time for FSU’s second game – a Sept. 10 home matchup with FCS Charleston Southern.The reason for the distaste? FSU has a quick turnaround after opening its season just five days prior in a Monday night showdown against Ole Miss in Orlando.

I think it’s a very big challenge,” Fisher said per Warchant.com. “I don’t like that because you’re coming off a Monday night game to a 12:30 game. I think it’s ridiculous in college to ask kids to play on a Monday-Saturday or a Saturday-Thursday – if they’re truly worried about the kids. I think those (quick-turnaround) games are ridiculous. “I think it’s unfair to (the players). It’s not what’s good for the body and everything else.”

Fisher had to know this was a possibility, right? After all, the Ole Miss game wasannounced in November 2014 and hyped up as a Monday night affair. When the contract was signed, Fisher had to know there was a very good chance an early Saturday kick was just around the corner.I bet that reported $3.5 million from ESPN sounded good, too. And no disrespect to Charleston Southern, a team coming off a 10-3 record and an FCS playoffs appearance, but it’s not like the Seminoles are playing Clemson on short rest. It’s an FCS team. At home. Fisher has one of the most talented rosters in college football. The Noles shouldn’t have an issue taking care of business in this one.It’s not like FSU is flying across the country, either. The team will get on its private jet after the game and fly an hour north back to Tallahassee. That’s not even enough time for Jimbo to watch the game film before returning to campus! Would a 3:30 p.m. kickoff really make that much of a difference?

Fisher’s gripes don’t stop there. Florida State’s Week 3 matchup at Louisville has a noon kickoff. That’s three games in 12 days – two fewer than an ordinary schedule. To compensate, Fisher is adjusting his team’s practice schedule.

If it takes an hour to fly from Orlando to Tallycrappy, then they are riding on brooms, not in a jet airplane. The climb and descend times probably take longer than the level flight time does.... :confused:

And maybe he should just let all of his starters take the CS game completely off, while his 2nd & 3rd teamers get some playing time. :rolleyes:

I know you guys don't like him, but he's 100% correct on this one. Monday-Saturday or Saturday-Thursday games for college kids is absurd.

So, does this mean that Jimblow's principles require him to forfeit the game, in the interest of his players safety, or just continue to snivel some more about it? o_O

FSU will be up 3-0 after the end of the first quarter, then win by 55. That's all that happens in these situations

Reactions: BillWesJay
If it takes an hour to fly from Orlando to Tallycrappy, then they are riding on brooms, not in a jet airplane. The climb and descend times probably take longer than the level flight time does.... :confused:

And maybe he should just let all of his starters take the CS game completely off, while his 2nd & 3rd teamers get some playing time. :rolleyes:

So they'll have experience when it's time to give them another shot for the last game of the season?

Reactions: GoFish2
Players and coaches have disliked short rest weeks in both college and pro football for a long time Nothing new.

Whether he has a case or not, and I'm not sure that he does, I could've done without Jimbo complaining about this. It's fodder for threads like these.

Jimbo has a legitimate beef here. sadgator has no issues with him expressing this concern. And no Florida team should have to play a noon or 12:30 start time game in September. It just shouldn't happen.

Disagree. It is an advantage for the Florida schools. They practice in the weather(actually worse in mid August) while the other teams aren't use to the humidity.

So they'll have experience when it's time to give them another shot for the last game of the season?

Correct mommy, so yawl can continue to hope that someday you'll catch up on the W/L record with your big brothers... ;) (always seeking some validation it seems) :D

Jimbo has a legitimate beef here. sadgator has no issues with him expressing this concern. And no Florida team should have to play a noon or 12:30 start time game in September. It just shouldn't happen.

The games at that time aint s*** compared to the practices a month before at these times. Games are always easy, or they should be for football players in shape. Unless you play both sides or something, these big schools have more depth than everyone else and guys should not get blown too bad in any game. The beginning of the game is usually when I got tired then after that the adrenaline dies down and you just get a second wind.

I was there. Wouldn't call it whining. He was asked a question. Legitimate gripe but he also doesn't want a bye week 2 so you have to do it. If the game was a 6pm start I bet he doesn't say anything.

LOL, Jimbo. Who made this game and the Monday Ole Miss game? . Maybe your AD? Get mad at him or maybe you should have told him in advance.

You do realize this game was agreed to back in 2014 when the NCAA was giving teams 2 bye weeks, right?

Equally important, though, to this topic. Does Jim own socks?

0fc1e397e46c792f670f6a706700ad8f.jpg

CBHa2bLVEAAwA82.jpg

McElwain_No_Socks_Prez.0.0.jpg

geeesh

Whether he has a case or not, and I'm not sure that he does, I could've done without Jimbo complaining about this. It's fodder for threads like these.
I doubt he cares if some internet dude tries to use this to post a negative thread. He feels it is hard on kids bodies and wants it to end. Internet dudes just jelly of his success and sore over many whippings since he arrived.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT