ADVERTISEMENT

Its Not Going to Be Chip

Honestly, it is probably for the best. This thing is so out of control. We probably need somebody who is not as big of a rockstar. There is just too much drama around our program as it is. Somebody lower key ( like a Frost or Norvell) would probably bring a better sense of peace to us if they could just make it work.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Honestly, it is probably for the best. This thing is so out of control. We probably need somebody who is not as big of a rockstar. There is just too much drama around our program as it is. Somebody lower key ( like a Frost or Norvell) would probably bring a better sense of peace to us if they could just make it work.

Norvell is not near the top of our list. Also have heard he is not real interested. If its not Kelly or Frost expect Mullen.

And I firmly believe it is SOS blocking the Chip hire

Norvell is not near the top of our list. Also have heard he is not real interested. If its not Kelly or Frost expect Mullen.

If we end up with Mullen I will be disappointed big time. Its going to be Kelly I think - 99% chance. If Tuesday gets here and he isn't our coach by then I will be getting nervous about what is going on.

Mullen would be perfect too. A little lower key, yet still an accomplished guy who can work with Stricklin well. He’ll get it done. Everybody will acknowlege a good fit, and the world will leave us alone for a while.

The “Chip” thing was just too much on top of all the other sh!t our program has had to deal with. Florida could use a little “me” time out of the spotlight to work on itself.

Sounds to me like Chip will be coaching somewhere. Why shouldn't it be at UF? We've got as much money to offer as anyone, better recruiting. If he's as competitive as his reputation, where else gives you a better shot at a national title? If we don't get him, he better not go to Tennessee. That would be a big-time disaster and just the cherry on the f'in cake of the last eight years. I think Stricklin's going to get him. He got Ben Howland at MSU, so he has a track record of chasing and getting the big name.

Reactions: rdgtr
Sounds to me like Chip will be coaching somewhere. Why shouldn't it be at UF? We've got as much money to offer as anyone, better recruiting. If he's as competitive as his reputation, where else gives you a better shot at a national title? If we don't get him, he better not go to Tennessee. That would be a big-time disaster and just the cherry on the f'in cake of the last eight years. I think Stricklin's going to get him. He got Ben Howland at MSU, so he has a track record of chasing and getting the big name.

Spurrier doesn’t want him

And by the way...Steve couldn’t even get Mac and Zoo Crew to run a 20 yard pass play...ain’t nobody holding up a coaching hire because of the HBC.

The truth of the matter is that we are all so starved for any positive news about our disaster of a program that we all got taken for a ride by internet rumors and speculation that had absolutely no foundation in reality. If we had just done as Stricklin admonished us to do, we wouldn’t even be in this position. Kelly likely was not and is not coming here and we all look like a bunch of imbeciles for waiting for some phantom announcement to occur.

Pure speculation that SOS is blocking it, doesn't want him, or even has the power to do so. SOS probably has more influence over what happens at USCe than UF, even now.

Pure speculation that SOS is blocking it, doesn't want him, or even has the power to do so. SOS probably has more influence over what happens at USCe than UF, even now.

I doubt he is pushing hard not to hire him even if he did actually make it known he would rather have someone else. I hope none of the big boosters are foolish enough to let Foley influence them to put pressure on the AD if he opposes hiring Kelly. You would think they wouldn't want Foley having hardly anything to do with it.

I doubt he is pushing hard not to hire him even if he did actually make it known he would rather have someone else. I hope none of the big boosters are foolish enough to let Foley influence them to put pressure on the AD if he opposes hiring Kelly. You would think they wouldn't want Foley having hardly anything to do with it.

Yeah....I don't think we have any evidence that the Bull Gators don't want Kelly and that they are willing to give any influence to Foley. I mean really, after Foley's last two hires why would anyone give a shit who he wants?

And by the way...Steve couldn’t even get Mac and Zoo Crew to run a 20 yard pass play...ain’t nobody holding up a coaching hire because of the HBC.

The truth of the matter is that we are all so starved for any positive news about our disaster of a program that we all got taken for a ride by internet rumors and speculation that had absolutely no foundation in reality. If we had just done as Stricklin admonished us to do, we wouldn’t even be in this position. Kelly likely was not and is not coming here and we all look like a bunch of imbeciles for waiting for some phantom announcement to occur.

I disagree that there's nothing there. I think there's some legitimate smoke as far as Chip coming to Gainesville. Everybody just got carried away with the "it's a done deal/happening today" stuff. It's a complicated negotiation. You've got salary, staff, recruiting to negotiate. Plus Chip has a whole system he's put in elsewhere, daily urine tests, monitoring sleep and hydration. All that stuff needs to be discussed to figure out if they're on the same page. At this point, I think the overreaction has swung in the opposite direction. It was never going to get done in an afternoon.

It makes a lot of sense for both sides. I don't know that UF can afford to roll the dice and wait until the offseason. You don't even know who will be available, much less whether you can definitively get them and whether they will be successful in the SEC. And if they don't lock him up, you have to be very worried about where he goes. Imagine looking up at UT for the next five years while they put up 50-60 a game. Can't happen. I think Stricklin knows it. He's putting his neck out hiring him, but he's putting his neck way out not hiring him.

There is as much substance to the Chip Kelly rumor as there is from a dude trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. Absolutely nothing.

Could he come here? Perhaps...but there is no reason to believe that any affirmative actions to make that happen have occurred at all.

It's not going to be Chip, just sayin

Michi-troll to suicide watch, while iG is busy LHAO... :D

=============

So tell me, if you were the AD or UAA, would you invite SOS to loose his razor sharp tongue on you? o_O -- I'd at least give him a 'respectful listen' to what he has to say about anything football related. :cool:

Just like no long time Gator fans like or respect SOS or his opinions, :oops: which is of course why they made him UF's first official Ambassador, while also naming the football field after him... :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

But as to him actually 'blocking' a hire, I doubt that. Although they hired him and have asked him for his opinion, but it's still just one of many opinions that are given to the AD before any hire is made.

Just like Foley made the hires (so the buck stops there), but he first listened to a lot of quality input from a search committee, among others... AD's don't make those decisions in a vacuum... :cool:

The truth of the matter is that we are all so starved for any positive news about our disaster of a program that we all got taken for a ride by internet rumors and speculation that had absolutely no foundation in reality. .

Nope, not ALL of us... :p ----- :D

It's still probably going to be Chip, don't get too excited there, Insta. We all know you loved McElwain and want that dope Charlie Strong hired, who bombed historically bad at powerhouse Texas, so sorry if we think you don't know anything about football, because you don't.

90% probability Kelly is the hire. It's just small things with the contract that need to get worked out. if Stricklin actually wants him, it will get done.

It's still probably going to be Chip, don't get too excited there, Insta. We all know you loved McElwain and want that dope Charlie Strong hired, who bombed historically bad at powerhouse Texas, so sorry if we think you don't know anything about football, because you don't.

90% probability Kelly is the hire. It's just small things with the contract that need to get worked out. if Stricklin actually wants him, it will get done.

Sorry, but WEALL is just as FoS as usual, about what is and what isn't.

I thought that both Mus and Mc were good coaches, and I still do. I had some problems with some of their 'specific' decisions, but that's true for any Gator coach in my long history as a Gator fan. NBD

No where have I said that I wanted Strong for the new HC. I have said that he's on a long list of those that would be 'acceptable' to me, but he's not my own choice for the job, so you're a liar with that bs.... o_O

As to what I know about football, I've already forgotten more than you're ever likely to learn, dweeb. :cool:

Reactions: kellylexy
We all know you loved McElwain and want that dope Charlie Strong hired, who bombed historically bad at powerhouse Texas, so sorry if we think you don't know anything about football, because you don't.

So, exactly how Full-O-Chit are you, especially with your 'cherry-picking' of the facts while calling Charlie Strong a DOPE?

Wanna see the list of Gator HC's that also think that you're the Dope when it comes to the quality of coach that Strong has proven to be?
For the ignorant and/or brain-dead mouthing off here:

Charlie Strong, just his UF coaching history:

1983-84 GA with Pell - SEC-C & NC

1988-89 OLB with Hall - Winning seasons

1991-93 DE with Spurrier - SEC-C

1994 AHC/DT with Spurrier - SEC-C

2003-04 DC/DE with Zook - Winning seasons

2004 Interim HC after Zook's firing

2005-07 AHC/Co-DC/LB with Meyer - 2 SEC-C - 2 NC's

2008-09 DC/LB with Meyer - Winning seasons
==========

As a Head Coach - Overall W/L 61-38 (.616)
Bowls 3-3 including a double-digit record win over 11-2 UF.

2010-13 Louisville - 25-14 (.641) - 2-1 in Bowls
Big East Conf. Champs 2011 & 2012
Twice named the Big East Coach of the Year, 2010 & 2012.

2014-16 TX - 16-21 (.432 -- 5-7 seasons)
Never given full support from those in and around the program.
Way worse than the constant chit that was heaped on Mus & Mc at UF.

2017-present - #23 USF - 8-1, 5-1 AAC

Reactions: rdgtr
Charlie Strong did a great job as an assistant coach at Florida and was an excellent HBC at Louisville. He was a bad fit at Texas, as many of their big money people didn't want him and did everything to undermine him while he was there. At least that's what I've read and heard. He is a great recruiter, a good man and a solid coach and I think he'll do well at USF. But I just don't think he would be a good fit at Florida at this moment in time. Basing that solely on my gut and personal opinion.

It's going to happen, unless something catastrophic happens RE contract negotiations. Paco appears to be the only one who posts here that sources his opinions and doesn't go on raw emotion.

Paco definitely knows more than I do. I am just becoming skeptical as the date keeps moving combined with the rumors of people on the inside not wanting Chip (SOS and Folly)

Paco definitely knows more than I do. I am just becoming skeptical as the date keeps moving combined with the rumors of people on the inside not wanting Chip (SOS and Folly)

The latter is untrue, Foley and spurrier's influence only extends so far as SS asking them for advice, which may or may not have happened. This thing could fall apart, but right now it's 99% in favor of CK.

Is this something you are hearing from someone you trust?

Yes, as i said there is a chance it doesn't happen, but internally it's overwhelmingly in favor of it happening right now. I am not in the room, so i don't have special knowledge, but I got this from a very solid source.

Yes, as i said there is a chance it doesn't happen, but internally it's overwhelmingly in favor of it happening right now. I am not in the room, so i don't have special knowledge, but I got this from a very solid source.

I have read two different people in a similar situation to you say the talk on the inside is ALL Chip. So its nice to hear another

If it's Chip, they need to iron out the details and get it done. Why continue to drag it on? That said, there is way too much smoke coming from numerous directions for it not to be him.

"But the bottom line is this: at this point, the only way Florida does not hire Chip Kelly is if the University receives negative results in its vetting process of his wish list of assistant coaches, will not allow Kelly to bring one or more of them on as an assistant, and if this disagreement happens in a fashion that pisses Kelly off so much that he decides he doesn’t want to coach under this administration."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT