ADVERTISEMENT

IT'S JEFF DRISKEL MUST SEE TV NIGHT IN AMERICA!!!!

sadgator

Bull Gator
Jan 9, 2002
Copper Monkey 30 minutes prior to kickoff
sadgator hopes all you folks get FS1 and/or have your DVR's ready to go!

What do you think the odds are on whether JD will throw for at least 300 yrds tonight?

sadgator will take the over.

sadgator is also imagining numbers sitting at home on his couch gently caressing his foam TV brick in anxious anticipation.

Not so fast. Muschamp has the night off with time to pull out his JD voodoo doll.

images

My girl wants me to watch Frozen with her tonight, I think that will somehow end up being more enjoyable than watching Driskel QB a team.

Reactions: GatorNation79
My girl wants me to watch Frozen with her tonight, I think that will somehow end up being more enjoyable than watching Driskel QB a team.

Hey it has similarities between Frozen and Driskel. When he was first talking about transferring most of Gator Nation sung "Let him go, let him go"

He will be facing one of the worst defense overall in football last year, even he might not be able to somehow be worse than Vandys QB was last week.

Reactions: sadgator
He will be facing one of the worst defense overall in football last year, even he might not be able to somehow be worse than Vandys QB was last week.
Isn't Tech playing WKU? If so, they have a pretty dynamic qb. Should be an interesting game.

Nice article on Jeff HERE. Holtz kind of calls out our previous coach.

I don't expect him to say any different but it still amazes me that people think Driskel would have been some stud with better coaching. They can't get past his physical gifts or his high school ranking apparently, as if he's the first highly ranked QB to bust. The kid simply didn't have the head to play the game. Who here remembers him doing stuff like running out of bounds behind the marker and losing huge yardage as opposed to throwing it in the stands and saving the yardage? You learn stuff like that in pop warner yet he was still doing it here, that's not a coaching issue. The game just moved way too fast for him. Oh and he wasn't a great QB in HS either. He barely completed 50% of his passes and threw for like 1600 yards his senior year or something like that, which is awful. He got a high rating because of his physical gifts, which can't be question. Too bad that's not the only thing that determines how good a QB is going to be.

Who here remembers him doing stuff like running out of bounds behind the marker...
UMMMMMM...Don't you remember that EVERY player ran out of bounds behind the marker under Muschamp?
Look, sadgator might be wrong...and he ain't sayin' the kid is gonna win the Heisman, but there is no way he should have been made the scapegoat he was. And there is no doubt that he was not developed properly. His numbers this year will speak for themselves.

The kid just couldn't calm his nerves during the game. He was so damn panicky it drove me crazy.
The majority of his mistakes were directly related to his inability to relax on the field.

I'm sorry Sad, but that young man just didn't have the moxy for big boy football. Was not an alpha male.

I agree with you in that he may have taken too much of the blame, but best believe he was a large part of our issues. And I disagree with you in full about the development part, he didn't have it upstairs and that's the most important part about playing QB. And again, he wasn't good in HS either which is what people keep missing with the 'development' talk. He was big and fast and basically was a full time running back in HS. He ran over and around defenders that he was way bigger, faster, and stronger than. He couldn't pass then either. The issue is everybody is athletic and the top level of D-1 and when he couldn't just be a full time running back he was lost.

Another thing to consider, Weis despite his faults as a HC is one of the best QB developers around. Roper is in the same boat and is now in the NFL. That's just two of the coaches who worked with him and he did the same dumb stuff under both. Ain't enough development in the world to turn him into a good SEC caliber starting QB, he was overmatched on this level. Beating up on a bunch of overmatched defenders at a lower level won't prove that he somehow is a great QB.

The kid can't even simply read an all out blitz coming any different from a prevent. There's no excuses for him, he was just that bad.

UF led the SEC in DROPPED PASSES. :eek: From WR-U to the toilet bowl they went... :confused:

That just might cause some QB nervousness, even some loss of confidence maybe... o_O

And then being scapegoated by everyone around him was just plain ole bs imo. :mad:

He's moved on and so have I and my Gators, so I wish him well in his future. :cool:
(I wouldn't wish his recent past on anyone) :oops:

I think it's funny that people want to blame everything on Muschamp so much that they refuse to believe Driskel was an abomination at QB.

I think it's funny that people want to blame everything on Muschamp so much that they refuse to believe Driskel was an abomination at QB.

Ummm well I think Muschump was the "tool" to make JD that bad. I think JD was/is/could be a good QB if he had the right "tools" in place.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

But the reason many blame Muschamp is because he started Driskel over Brissett and Murphy. So maybe these two QB's were a bigger abomination than Driskel was. In his lone start in 2012 Jacoby did nothing to impress me. Once Murphy faced stiff competition he struggled.

But then those two guys move on, become starters, and play pretty good. One even made an NFL roster.

If Jeff performs well for LA Tech and possibly makes an NFL roster...then shouldn't Muschamp possibly be the reason to catch blame?

Will Muschamp is a 10-13 coach at UF without Dan Quinn. Lets be honest, Muschamp is bad enough to take blame for everything. (Psst.....GaSouthern)

I have no issues with Driskel. Not a great QB but was dealt a crap hand and handled it as well as anyone could. I wish him well.

Reactions: GatorGray
If Muschamp would have kept his hands off the offense he would still be at UF today. He is a very, very good defensive Coach but he is not an offensive guy whatsoever. I know a Coach who is a defensive guy and he does not mess with the offense. He gave tips to the offensive coordinator but never put himself above offense. This is where Muschamp failed big time and it's called micromanagement. I don't know if a previous boss caused this or this is his philosophy. But I can say just by listening to McElwain's post game interview he tops Muschamp 100%.

Driskel is having another good game. I hate to say it but he is a much better QB than people think.

It amazes me that people still can't see that Muschamp affected every single player on the offensive side of the ball in a negative way due to his flawed way of thinking on the offensive side of the ball.

I said it the last several years that the talent on offense was much much better than what it looked like on the field. Again you will see and you have already seen it. Just look at Brissett, Murphy and now Driskel.

Muschamps offensive philosophy was seriously flawed to the point where players had no confidence and where afraid to make a mistake to the point that all they did was make mistakes and bad plays.

he's throwing the ball 4 yards at the furthest, are any of you watching or just stat glancing? WKU is absolutely abysmal

He looks exactly the same

No he doesn't. He played against much worse teams than Western Kentucky with UF talent around him and didn't do as well as he has done through the first 2 games. How did Driskel do against the cupcakes on UFs schedule when he was here. He's going to have more yards passing in 2 games than UF accumulated in a whole season under Muschamp. LOL

His yards are coming from YAC yardage from the defense missing tackles on passes at the line of scrimmage sideways. Watch the coverages WKU is playing, its hilarious. If you can't see that he looks exactly the same then I don't know what you are watching. He's taking a year to throw the ball too late to guys open and he's already stared down about 3 that have almost been picked. The funniest part is guys are acting like im hating, he looks exactly the same. Let oozie watch this game and he will tell you the same thing. He's throwing all the short screens and hitches that he only completed against bad teams just like this at UF. Even the TD he threw was so far behind the WR and the defense is SO bad it was still caught on his back shoulder for a TD because the defender was beat so bad over the middle of the field. At least he's doing better than Vandys QB though because he got them beat turning it over inside the 5 multiple times.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

But the reason many blame Muschamp is because he started Driskel over Brissett and Murphy. So maybe these two QB's were a bigger abomination than Driskel was. In his lone start in 2012 Jacoby did nothing to impress me. Once Murphy faced stiff competition he struggled.

But then those two guys move on, become starters, and play pretty good. One even made an NFL roster.

If Jeff performs well for LA Tech and possibly makes an NFL roster...then shouldn't Muschamp possibly be the reason to catch blame?

The first part is right. Muschamp isn't to be blamed for Driskel's poor play, he's to be blamed for the philosophy on offense, picking the wrong QB and running off all his competition, an then being too stubborn to bench him when it wasn't working. People keep ignoring that Driskel was an abysmal passer in HS too, he never had it in that department. And he simply wasn't gonna be able to run around and out-athlete defenders like he did in HS on the college level, hence he was forced to be a passer and his shortcomings were glaringly apparent.

With regard to those other QB's, I remember it completely different. Brissett was the best QB in camp according to a lot of people close to the team, players included, but we went with Driskel because he could run and our o-line was thought to be bad that year. The funny thing is Driskel's lack of pocket presence actually hamstrung the o-line more than anything. And the one game Brissett started that year was the one in which we had like 3 o-line starters out and had a whole bunch of injuries to our other skill guys, which is why we almost lost to an FCS team. And even with that his numbers in that game were not bad. The same was true with Murphy, he was noticeably better in 13' until he blew out his shoulder against LSU then it all went downhill. His performance against UT and UK were better than anything Driskel had shown to that point. So it shouldn't be of any surprise that those guys showed good elsewhere, they were good to begin with and just never got the chance.

and as I type that, to start the 2nd half he finally throws two balls down the field and both are floating and should be picked off as he takes too long and just lobs them up. If you don't see the same exact player you are trying to see something else that's not there. Even against the worst of worst defenses at this level

Good for him. Muschamp screwed over every player that ever played on the offensive side of the ball under him.

With the exception of Matt Jones...and to a lesser extent Mike Gillislee.

He should have had Gil as a feature back his junior season. Not Demps and Rainey.

IMO he should have had Jones as a short yardage back, not the every down back. Jones is the lone player who he promoted on offense.

That last 3 play sequence was all anyone needed to see from the same old driskel. 2nd and 1 and they don't pick up a first down because they blitz both corners on 2nd down and he has no clue and doesn't make them pay and has to throw it away while getting mashed in the grill, 3rd down he gets them stuffed because he doesn't check out of the play or change the cadence against an 8 man front.. and then 4th down gets it batted down more than Treon to finish the game off for sure. Same old s*** QB folks

That looked exactly like his possessions here, eerily identical.

He had a pretty good game. Over 300 yards passing. Back to back 300 yard passing games. Heck I'm not even sure we had 2 300 yard passing games in 4 years under Muschamp.

Driskel had over 400 yards of total offense tonight. He threw 2 TDs and ran for 1 TD.

Sorry but Muschamp made offensive players worse than they really are. Yes Muschamp really was that bad of a coach. Is Driskel all of a sudden a good QB? Nope but he certainly looks better now in a different jersey than a UF one. Same goes for Brissett and Murphy.

I wanna know when, if ever, the last time it took the #1 HS recruit at QB 4 years to throw for his first 300 yard game.

I wanna know when, if ever, the last time it took the #1 HS recruit at QB 4 years to throw for his first 300 yard game.

Hmm, Bobby Sablehaus? Did he even throw for 30 yards?

I'm think it took Brock Berlin 4 years. But don't forget this is year 5 for Driskel.

I don't disagree with you with the breakdown of his play. However how much of that stat can be blamed on Muschamp and previous coaching?

I mean oozie touched on it earlier, Muschamp is to blame for the scheme and what he was trying to do on offense, or not do. But you can certainly see Driskel is still so limited as a QB, I can't believe they didn't run him more in the game but the thing that pissed me off with Driskel is he even had trouble reading the read option right. He misread it at least three times tonight as well that cost them big chunks and one would have been a footrace with a flat footed CB with AWFUL technique that was blitzing weak side. He still has so much trouble getting the ball out on time without needing the WR to be standing there wide open for 3 seconds even on a 6 yard hitch. His deep balls are still so inaccurate and he just can't read defenses and check off into what needs to be audibled. He still shows no confidence, he's the ultimate example of how big it is for a QB to have it between the ears no matter how talented you are, because physically this kid could have been a John Elway with much better wheels and im serious. Those two possessions in a row in the 4th that ultimately lost the game were just exactly what we've seen for years losing us games once you put it in his hands. That whole sequence that I posted earlier was just bad, and then the throws he got away with that WKU just outright dropped not to mention the INT he had and then just handed it right back to the LT WR. If that pass had been intercepted his stats at the time would have been something like 21-40 with 2 INT's, and that looks pretty familiar doesn't it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT