ADVERTISEMENT

Football I Was Invited To Practice in Mid-August...

Gators300

Gator Great
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2004
Let me just preface this post by saying I can provide proof to Jason that I was there for this event/practice if required.

I don't post here much, but I do lurk and have obviously been a supporter of the University of Florida football program for several decades now, (and on this site for 20 years now). I've been active on the site, in spurts, when the situation has warranted it.

The purpose of this post is simply to recount my experience at an event/practice viewing that I attended around mid-August. I was there with 3-4 others to meet & greet, tour, and attend practice. This was the week before "game week" so there weren't any Miami-specific things being implemented, (and as far as I could tell Miami was never mentioned by anyone - players or coaches - which I felt was odd).

Warmups took place in the indoor practice area. About 15 minutes and varying levels of "buy in" depending on the player. Nothing surprising, to be honest. Once practice started there was an intense flurry of activity as position groups went to their specific coaches/areas of the field. About every 10-15 minutes music would blare and all of the players would move elsewhere. There were several mini-scrimmages that took place over the course of several hours.

The entire thing was run like a well oiled machine. Support staff scurrying to set up the next drills, provide drinks, water, (snacks/fruit at one point) all the while there were others monitoring the vitals of the players, video taping practice, etc. If you had never attended a football practice run by a big time football program, this would be incredibly impressive. If you had never played football before, I imagine it would be the same.

The thing is, though, that I had attended a Meyer football practice. And, though I am reluctant to admit it, I played football in Middle and High School in Ohio and Florida. I played with AJ Hawk, (when he was still a running back) and then for a 5A school in Florida. I wasn't any good, but that doesn't matter in the context of this post.

Outside of the end of warmups I did not see a *single* player step up and be the leader of the team. No hype, no encouragement, no positive, (or negative) reinforcement, just players going through the motions.

Mertz had 7 straight incompletions at one point. Lagway threw at least 1 pick and should have had another 1 or 2 if our defense could catch. The offensive line allowed significant pressure no matter the quarterback. The running game looked lethargic, though without actual tackling, plays get blown dead quickly.

Special teams was the highlight, if you can believe it. A significant amount of time was dedicated to the kicking/punting game. Otherwise, everything else looked average to mediocre. So much so, that when I watched us against Miami I was not at all surprised. This was essentially the same team I saw in practice.

What was Napier doing the entire time? Well, he was with the QBs for the most part. The rest of the team did their own thing with their coaches and he was with Mertz and Lagway. I only heard him raise his voice a few times. A lot of the time he had his headset on and, (I presume) was communicating with the QBs in their helmets in preparation for the season, since the in-helmet comms are new.

The entire practice was a by-the-numbers affair with dozens of people running around, catering to the players' every need, asking what we needed (?) and other various tasks. Meanwhile, players that were injured were either in the gym/weight training or in the health complex getting treated.

All in all, it was not an especially impressive display outside of the army of people running around completing various tasks. The football aspect, (the most important part) was lacking enthusiasm, grit, desire, intensity, and leadership.

All of that being said, (and I understand this comes across as Monday morning quartbacking after what we've seen) I didn't run here to post my doom and gloom observations for a few reasons.

First, I played football and while I was certainly underwhelmed by what I saw, I also remember the doldrums of summer practice. You're simply exhausted from all of the practices, conditioning, and going against your own teammates. There are days you just phone it in.

Second, we were there. I'm sure there's routinely visitors at practice, but I certainly realize that Napier isn't implementing anything new with random bystanders lurking.

Third, we were asked not to share any videos or photos, but I got the impression they meant really anything about practice at all. Understandable, of course, though I suspect most of these people I interacted with will no longer be employed by UF shortly.

Fourth, and most importantly, Napier was visibly and audibly upset with the effort of the team. At the conclusion of practice he made it clear that it was not a winning effort and that he was disappointed.

However, I still remember attending a Meyer practice, and the culture, leadership, and intensity was 100x greater than what I experienced. I understand that times change, but it was certainly an eye opening comparison for me.

Ultimately, I decided not to say anything because it was just one practice. It really could have just been one bad day where nothing worked, where energy was low in the last stretch of the summer, and when things just didn't "click" like they should.

Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.