ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical question

kcflagator

Chomp Artist
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2021
You are the athletic director at a blue blood power five school. You’ve narrowed your coaching search for your next men’s basketball coach to two candidates: Hurley and Staley.

Who do you pick?

Reactions: Bmcgatorfan
Hurley will be an NBA coach soon IMO just like his friend Billy. Dawn is phenomenal and would stay at the program for awhile. Plus I’d take her as a LB coach as well lol

Hurley. I’ve coached both women’s and men’s basketball, albeit it just at the high school level. Men’s is much more difficult to coach for a number of reasons. Not saying Staley is a bad coach, but men’s is more difficult. Much faster and have to make decisions in game much quicker. Boys are also more difficult to coach than girls.

All this is just in my experience.

Hurley. I’ve coached both women’s and men’s basketball, albeit it just at the high school level. Men’s is much more difficult to coach for a number of reasons. Not saying Staley is a bad coach, but men’s is more difficult. Much faster and have to make decisions in game much quicker. Boys are also more difficult to coach than girls.

This 100%. Auriema might have a chance but would be huge adjustment. His game plan against Iowa was great. Iowa should have won that easily but UConn D was phenomenal.

Hurley. The women's game isn't in the same stratosphere as the men's game, and there's much less parity of talent/teams in the women's game. Watching a little of Clark the last couple of weekends just for curiosity sake, and my take has been that she's really good and the rest of the players on the court play the game at a JV boys level.

Reactions: Vinny B
Hurley. I CAN’T STAND Dawn Staley, I pull for every team she’s playing against ( LFG Hawks!!)
Yeah, whole heartily despise a Hall of Fame woman who has won us 3 Olympics gold medals for our country. Who also was elected to carry the United States Flag at the opening ceremony of the 2004 Summer Olympics. I hope she is fired for being so dam successful.

Hurley. The women's game isn't in the same stratosphere as the men's game, and there's much less parity of talent/teams in the women's game. Watching a little of Clark the last couple of weekends just for curiosity sake, and my take has been that she's really good and the rest of the players on the court play the game at a JV boys level.
I did the same and came to the same conclusion.

Yeah, whole heartily despise a Hall of Fame woman who has won us 3 Olympics gold medals for our country. Who also was elected to carry the United States Flag at the opening ceremony of the 2004 Summer Olympics. I hope she is fired for being so dam successful.
No need to be sarcastic. I didn’t say she was a bad coach, I dislike her actions and the things that she says.
She worse than Kim Mulkey?
Umm.. not sure if one is worse than the other but I’m not a fan of hers either. Her outfits are ridiculous and she plays the damn victim role too.

A racist social misfit? I’m interested in an explanation for this claim?
Well she creates false racism narratives to fit her narrative and perpetuate her USCE women’s basketball vs the world crap…. 2 recent examples were going off on Iowa coach Lisa Bluder ahead of last years FF matchup for comments that weren’t racist at all, then there were the 2 games she cancelled vs BYU because a Duke volleyball player made false racist claims against BYU…when confronted with facts on both scenarios questioning her actions/decisions she doubled down or continued to play the victim….in the BYU case it was actually a family member of the Duke player who was making racist remarks etc

I do not follow basketball like some on the boards.....I know of Hurley and Staley.....I do not know what kind of person Staley is off the court, I do not know how good she is coaching, though her team is undefeated and will likely remain that way, but I can see by the talent she has on the court, she must be one heck of a recruiter!
That said....If I could hire any Coach to handle the Women's program, I would hire the Coach from UConn! That guy has done some serious coaching this past season, making it to the final 4 with a team that lost 5 starters during the course of the season! AWESOME job by him! On the Men's side, I truly believe Coach Golden will win championships at Florida!

Reactions: vacate
Danny Hurley. His father was a legend. That family breaths basketball. Not surprised to see him thriving as a college coach. Would have loved to have him as the Gators coach.

Just because someone is/has been successful in life doesn’t mean you have to like them, support them and/or want them to be your coach.

Reactions: vacate
No need to be sarcastic. I didn’t say she was a bad coach, I dislike her actions and the things that she says.

Umm.. not sure if one is worse than the other but I’m not a fan of hers either. Her outfits are ridiculous and she plays the damn victim role too.Good Lord, choosing which of the two is worse is a touch choice but my vote goes to Staley.
This 100%. Auriema might have a chance but would be huge adjustment. His game plan against Iowa was great. Iowa should have won that easily but UConn D was phenomenal.
Gino is too old and set in his ways to do the NBA thing. Women's basketball has caught up to him in some ways but he's still one hell of a coach and usually in contention in the big tournament.

Umm.. not sure if one is worse than the other but I’m not a fan of hers either. Her outfits are ridiculous and she plays the damn victim role too.
Boy that's a hard choice but my vote goes to Staley.

Reactions: emekz1 and bblake08
Watch her interviews during the season and get back to me.
Cite some examples man. Calling someone racist regardless of skin color or gender isn't something to be taken lightly.

You ain't gotta like her as a person but going straight to racist and social misfit? Elaborate please.

I was with you until you said boys were more difficult to coach. I would not say that, but it does depend on your personality. I personally find guys easier to coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT