ADVERTISEMENT

How the Republicans lost the midterms

Niall Ferguson has been wrong about so many things its hard to keep a straight face that you're citing him.

Just keep it basic...Biden has been in office for 7 quarters

We’re more than a year-and-a-half into Joe Biden’s presidency, with full second-quarter economic growth numbers from the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis now in hand. Which seems like as good a time as any for another installment in my occasional series comparing growth rates under U.S. presidents — which somewhat to my surprise shows Biden on pace to compile by far the best growth record since Bill Clinton.

I wrote a column last year with a headline to that effect, and heard from readers who felt that it was unfair to Trump because he faced the historic bad luck of a once-in-a-century pandemic. It’s true that the pandemic was bad luck, and that U.S. economic performance during Trump’s final year in office actually stacked up well versus other rich countries. But while growth under Trump before the pandemic was a much more respectable 2.6% annualized for GDP and 2.5% for the GDP/GDI average, earlier presidents also faced economic setbacks not of their own making, and without adjusting for those (and I’m not sure how I would do that) it doesn’t seem right to give Trump special treatment in such a comparison.

Of course, lots can still happen during Biden’s tenure, too. At this point in Trump’s presidency, GDP/GDI growth was 2.8% annualized and GDP growth 3.1%. It slowed after that, even before the pandemic. Whether the U.S. economy falls into recession or not, growth has clearly downshifted this year. So far in the 21st century, U.S. GDP/GDI has grown at a 2% annualized rate and GDP 1.9%. I would guess that the longer Biden is in office, the closer the growth rate will get to those numbers.

Screen_Shot_2022-08-31_at_12.48.37_PM-c1.png

Screen_Shot_2022-08-31_at_12.49.16_PM-c2.png

Niall Ferguson has been wrong about so many things its hard to keep a straight face that you're citing him.

I cite a source, a source from CNBC.com FFS, but that's still not good enough for you?

You don't like the source because it contradicts what you said. The end.

Reactions: nail1988

Just keep it basic...Biden has been in office for 7 quarters

We’re more than a year-and-a-half into Joe Biden’s presidency, with full second-quarter economic growth numbers from the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis now in hand. Which seems like as good a time as any for another installment in my occasional series comparing growth rates under U.S. presidents — which somewhat to my surprise shows Biden on pace to compile by far the best growth record since Bill Clinton.

I wrote a column last year with a headline to that effect, and heard from readers who felt that it was unfair to Trump because he faced the historic bad luck of a once-in-a-century pandemic. It’s true that the pandemic was bad luck, and that U.S. economic performance during Trump’s final year in office actually stacked up well versus other rich countries. But while growth under Trump before the pandemic was a much more respectable 2.6% annualized for GDP and 2.5% for the GDP/GDI average, earlier presidents also faced economic setbacks not of their own making, and without adjusting for those (and I’m not sure how I would do that) it doesn’t seem right to give Trump special treatment in such a comparison.

Of course, lots can still happen during Biden’s tenure, too. At this point in Trump’s presidency, GDP/GDI growth was 2.8% annualized and GDP growth 3.1%. It slowed after that, even before the pandemic. Whether the U.S. economy falls into recession or not, growth has clearly downshifted this year. So far in the 21st century, U.S. GDP/GDI has grown at a 2% annualized rate and GDP 1.9%. I would guess that the longer Biden is in office, the closer the growth rate will get to those numbers.

Screen_Shot_2022-08-31_at_12.48.37_PM-c1.png

Screen_Shot_2022-08-31_at_12.49.16_PM-c2.png
Wait. You don't get off the leash this easily. No comments about the fired corrupt supervisor of elections in Broward County, or the crackhead Gillum???

giphy.gif

I cite a source, a source from CNBC.com FFS, but that's still not good enough for you?

You don't like the source because it contradicts what you said. The end.

Niall Ferguson is a historian that has appeared on every news channel
(MSNBC, CNN, & FOX) and every type of news website in his career

Just because he has an article on CNBC doesn't really mean much to me but I understand that low information types find that to be more important than the content of the article.

I'm sure the next person who disagrees with you cites something from CNBC you & the other "conservatives" here will spend your time criticizing the source and say nothing about the content of the article

You can't help yourself...you are what you are 🤣

Wait. You don't get off the leash this easily. No comments about the fired corrupt supervisor of elections in Broward County, or the crackhead Gillum???

giphy.gif
Crickets?

One you'll like. Makes you Gillum folks feel more at home. 😂

8ec727f19946909a50b7279bd6a71a53.gif

navigator has to reply to himself in an attempt to deflect from the thread topic 🤣

Can any of you provide why you think this is the worst economy in 40/50 years?

The brainwashing you receive from the conservative echo chamber doesn't provide anything beyond the message? Nothing to support the talking points?

navigator has to reply to himself in an attempt to deflect from the thread topic 🤣

The brainwashing you receive from the conservative echo chamber doesn't provide anything beyond the message? Nothing to support the talking points?
Wait, somebody really thinks that? LOL. We’ve had a 33% GDP decrease, 10% unemployment rate, The great Bush Recession which lasted for years and they think this is the worst economy?

That just shows how ignorant the people ITT are about economics. I’ve been saying that for years.

Reactions: RayGravesGhost
Niall Ferguson is a historian that has appeared on every news channel
(MSNBC, CNN, & FOX) and every type of news website in his career

Just because he has an article on CNBC doesn't really mean much to me but I understand that low information types find that to be more important than the content of the article.

I'm sure the next person who disagrees with you cites something from CNBC you & the other "conservatives" here will spend your time criticizing the source and say nothing about the content of the article

You can't help yourself...you are what you are 🤣

LOL, I know who he is.

The point, that you somehow missed, is that his content was posted on cnbc.com and they are typically more friendly to people with your political views.

Did you actually not get this or are you just spinning because your point got destroyed? It's this, isn't it? 😂

It's a bad economy that's still running on .Gov trillions of spending. Unsustainable. Then Diaper Boy tried to throw more gasoline on the fire with student loan forgiveness, further punishing taxpayers.The topic of the thread is the GOP lost the midterms. They didn't. Ding Dong, the wicked witch is dead! :D

70u59y.jpg

Already provided...but you only wanted to discuss Niall Ferguson and who employs him, haha.

It's a bad economy that's still running on .Gov trillions of spending. Unsustainable.

You're referring to the COVID stimulus that trump passed?

Or are you referring to the trump tax cuts?

Or are you referring to the QE that trump was running to keep interest rates artificially low for too long?

Or are you referring to the government subsidizing of the agricultural industry that occurred under trump because of his trade war with China?

Then Diaper Boy tried to throw more gasoline on the fire with student loan forgiveness, further punishing taxpayers.

last anyone with a rational brain checked...student loan forgiveness HASN'T EVEN OCCURRED yet

THAT in your foggy brain has caused inflation inn 2021/2022?

Cool story bro 🤣

The topic of the thread is the GOP lost the midterms. They didn't. Ding Dong, the wicked witch is dead! :D

The GOP lost because they didn't put forward a solution to any issue

Whining & complaining without a solution is just whining & complaining...

hqdefault.jpg

images

Reactions: BSC911

Or are you referring to the QE that trump was running to keep interest rates artificially low for too long?

Or are you referring to the government subsidizing of the agricultural industry that occurred under trump because of his trade war with China?

last anyone with a rational brain checked...student loan forgiveness HASN'T EVEN OCCURRED yet

Cool story bro 🤣

hqdefault.jpg

images
Trying to debate economics with this group is like me debating oil and gas with a car salesman. It’s pointless.

Or are you referring to the QE that trump was running to keep interest rates artificially low for too long?Or are you referring to the government subsidizing of the agricultural industry that occurred under trump because of his trade war with China?last anyone with a rational brain checked...student loan forgiveness HASN'T EVEN OCCURRED yet

Cool story bro 🤣

hqdefault.jpg

images
The free shit student loan debacle was a down payment on buying votes. Doesn't matter if it hasn't happened yet, damn you are dense. Middle class tax cuts? Awesome. Covid stimulus is squarely on Pelosi's shoulders, and every blue state that shut down their economies. Hell, they kept pouring money down the rabbit hole WELL AFTER Trump was out of office. You are delusional. 😂

Reactions: gatordad3
Wait, somebody really thinks that? LOL. We’ve had a 33% GDP decrease, 10% unemployment rate, The great Bush Recession which lasted for years and they think this is the worst economy?

That just shows how ignorant the people ITT are about economics. I’ve been saying that for years.
You’re talking about the 2008 recession that was caused by speculative housing loan practices enabled and abetted by Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, correct? These are agencies that are largely influenced by Democrat politicians to achieve “fair housing” goals and other social Justice objectives that fly in the face of rational economic theory.

You’re talking about the 2008 recession that was caused by speculative housing loan practices enabled and abetted by Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, correct? These are agencies that are largely influenced by Democrat politicians to achieve “fair housing” goals and other social Justice objectives that fly in the face of rational economic theory.
That bullshit started with Clinton, and Bush just let it ride. I believe Greenspan just looked the other way until the collapse was upon us. Free shit has it's consequences.

That bullshit started with Clinton, and Bush just let it ride. I believe Greenspan just looked the other way until the collapse was upon us. Free shit has it's consequences.

Yep I knew that Housing was going to crash (didn't realize it would take the whole economy with it beforehand though) when I saw people I knew here in FL getting these nice houses with payments I knew they couldn't afford and the fact the banks were not verifying the info on their loan applications which would have showed the applications were not truthful. A lot of them ended up getting to stay in those homes for 3 years without paying anything since there was such a backlog on foreclosures. Now we are going to have a lot of people pissed because their homes will be under water for the next 5 years probably until ZIRP policy comes back and really lowers interest rates again. This will be a big drag on the economy for a couple of years I think.

Bush didn't just let it ride (for no reason)...

I think you have conveniently forgotten how bad the economy was after 9/11
Bush started the low interest rate environment as a response

Asset bubble resulted...mortgage industry cratered

Bush would proudly go on TV and talk about home ownership as the bright shiny object of his economy... :rolleyes:

Well, it’s debatable who/what caused it but it’s not debateable that was a worse economy. Which proves my point.

And no one seems to mention Bush I recession that made him a 1 term president... :rolleyes:

When are you MAGA types going to learn lying ain't working?

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...-s-economic-performance-has-proved-unbeatable
Biden's Economic Performance Has Proved Unbeatable
No first-year president going back to Carter comes close to matching the current White House occupant’s No. 1 or No. 2 ranking in each of 10 key measures.

ByMatthew A. Winkler
December 20, 2021 at 5:00 AM EST

The free shit student loan debacle was a down payment on buying votes. Doesn't matter if it hasn't happened yet, damn you are dense.

We're discussing the Biden economy...and navi is talking about voting
And he's calling people dense? 🤣

Rewind that tape...you're repeating the wrong conservative talking point

Middle class tax cuts? Awesome.

Its always hard to prove to people that WANT to be subjects of the super-rich that they got screwed

But will make it simple for you...what do think the has fueled the overspending by the consumer that feeds inflation

What?
Was the tax cut money "different" than the COVID money in stimulating inflation?

Covid stimulus is squarely on Pelosi's shoulders, and every blue state that shut down their economies.

Pelosi can unilaterally pass COVID funding by herself?

Hell, they kept pouring money down the rabbit hole WELL AFTER Trump was out of office. You are delusional. 😂

Way after?

Didn't trump insist on $2,000 dollar checks for everyone as he set fire to the capitol and stole government documents?

And have you watched DeSantis take credit for the stimulus & infrastructure money?

We're discussing the Biden economy...and navi is talking about voting
And he's calling people dense? 🤣

Rewind that tape...you're repeating the wrong conservative talking point

Its always hard to prove to people that WANT to be subjects of the super-rich that they got screwed

But will make it simple for you...what do think the has fueled the overspending by the consumer that feeds inflation

What?
Was the tax cut money "different" than the COVID money in stimulating inflation?

Pelosi can unilaterally pass COVID funding by herself?

Way after?

Didn't trump insist on $2,000 dollar checks for everyone as he set fire to the capitol and stole government documents?

And have you watched DeSantis take credit for the stimulus & infrastructure money?
Question for you Ray, I’m assuming you are not super rich but let’s say you build an empire and become super rich, wouldn’t you want to keep as much money as possible? As a super rich man, are you really going to sit and lie that you would gladly be taxed to death? Would you pay your taxes and write a check to the IRS for more money because you don’t think you paid your fair share? I’ll go out on a limb and say you would change your entire thinking when it’s your money and that you would never write a check to the IRS out of the kindness of your heart because you don’t pay enough.

You do understand that a tax cut is different than printing money and handing out checks as stimulus, right?

You do realize that gold mom and I are both Republicans right? Divided we are easy to conquer. Instead of focusing on conspiracy Theories, we need to unite. Supporting fringe candidates for people that Trump like will no longer work.
We need main stream candidates, the far right will vote for them even if they’re voting against the Democrats, we need to win the middle of the roads in independents like me and gold mom.

The fraud & corruption in our government is destroying (might have already happened) America. The dual justice system and voting fraud can’t stand. However, the only POTUS who tried to fight it has become the single most investigated American in our history. The Swamp can’t be drained- it needs to be eliminated. There is only one way to eliminate The Swamp.

It’s time for a peaceful, respectful, legal divorce of the Red & Blue States. This needs to happen legally at the ballot box (paper), each participating State House & both chambers of The US Congress.

The Red States keep getting “redder” & The Blue States keep getting “bluer”. Florida, GA, AL, MS, AL, MS, LA, TN, SC, KY, TX, SD, ND, OK, have very little in common w Illinois, New York, California, Massachusetts, Nevada…. Those Blue States (and others) along w Washington DC are beyond repair.

When is okay for Keri Lake, who led by >10 points FOR MONTHS, loses an election where her opponent counted the votes - IT IS TIME. This is not about liars or crooks. This shows there is no path back. The bonds that tie America together have unfortunately & sadly been severed beyond redemption. IT IS TIME!

The fraud & corruption in our government is destroying (might have already happened) America. The dual justice system and voting fraud can’t stand. However, the only POTUS who tried to fight it has become the single most investigated American in our history. The Swamp can’t be drained- it needs to be eliminated. There is only one way to eliminate The Swamp.

It’s time for a peaceful, respectful, legal divorce of the Red & Blue States. This needs to happen legally at the ballot box (paper), each participating State House & both chambers of The US Congress.

The Red States keep getting “redder” & The Blue States keep getting “bluer”. Florida, GA, AL, MS, AL, MS, LA, TN, SC, KY, TX, SD, ND, OK, have very little in common w Illinois, New York, California, Massachusetts, Nevada…. Those Blue States (and others) along w Washington DC are beyond repair.

When is okay for Keri Lake, who led by >10 points FOR MONTHS, loses an election where her opponent counted the votes - IT IS TIME. This is not about liars or crooks. This shows there is no path back. The bonds that tie America together have unfortunately & sadly been severed beyond redemption. IT IS TIME!
LOL. Not this again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT