ADVERTISEMENT

Hotty Toddy/Nolies game thread

FSU has a good future at QB
FSU still has one of the best RB's in the nation.
FSU has capable WR's and what appeared to be a descent TE
FSU's DB's left a lot to be desired
FSU OL appeared to be below average

UF seems to have a functional QB
UF WR's after Callaway and Powell are still a question mark until we see them vs quality competition
UF needs more discipline in defense to cut out the ignorant penalities
UF RB's are still a question mark
UF OL appeared to be below average.

Jimbo has an impressive record vs UF. You can't deny that.

We going to bicker and argue all week?

FSU has a good future at QB
FSU still has one of the best RB's in the nation.
FSU has capable WR's and what appeared to be a descent TE
FSU's DB's left a lot to be desired
FSU OL appeared to be below average

It was annoying seeing McFadden drop two INTs (1 of which deflected into a TD), but the 3 INTs they did make, as well as the 5 sacks collected, demonstrate good things happening. From a passer perspective, that was probably the best QB FSU will face this season. The biggest remaining threats are guys with wheels like at Clemson and UL.

It was annoying seeing McFadden drop two INTs (1 of which deflected into a TD), but the 3 INTs they did make, as well as the 5 sacks collected, demonstrate good things happening. From a passer perspective, that was probably the best QB FSU will face this season. The biggest remaining threats are guys with wheels like at Clemson and UL.
Indeed, and don't ever count out that funky triple option offense Ga Tech runs.

Sometimes stopping whoever their QB is, is easier said then done. I'm sure FSU will handle them.

Doesn't Miami still have that same stud QB? I haven't even looked over their roster this season.

FSU blew some coverages but some of those throws were just really good. Kelly's second TD was pretty lucky but the one to Engram to make it 21-3 was an NFL throw. Same with his last TD. He was throwing his receivers open. Those OM receivers are pretty darn good, too.

Not worried about the OL. We had a starter out and some guys making their first start against a very talented DL. They'll improve.

Penalties were bad. Way too sloppy.

Your DC is not very good but whatever makes you happy.

You know what makes me happy, when I look back at Alabama and FSU's last 3 common opponents (UF, Clemson, and Ole Miss) and see that the FSU defense outperformed the Alabama defense in each of those contests...

Who is 'very good' in your book?

You know what makes me happy, when I look back at Alabama and FSU's last 3 common opponents (UF, Clemson, and Ole Miss) and see that the FSU defense outperformed the Alabama defense in each of those contests...

Who is 'very good' in your book?
Yes which team won the NC? By beating the team that beat FSU?

Stupid argument on your part.

Yes which team won the NC? By beating the team that beat FSU?

Stupid argument on your part.

The discussion is about the relative efficacy of the FSU defensive coordinator. Someone suggested that FSU's DC is 'not very good'. To which I simply pointed out if you compare the performance of Kelly's defense against Alabama's and their three most recent shared opponents, his defense has outperformed.
Your contribution that Alabama won the national title is helpful, as it focuses attention on the fact FSU held Watson and Co. to 23 points at home, while Alabama allowed 40 against the same team. Furthering the point that something is being done right on the defensive side of the ball at FSU.
If Coker hadn't been worried about riding the bench behind Winston I don't think 23 points would have been enough for Clemson to win that game, but he transferred and as you pointed out, won his natty elsewhere. I can't find fault in Charles Kelly for any of that.
Heck, the Bama defense even let the UF offense score, something FSU did not do last season...

Reactions: CharlieBrown88
The discussion is about the relative efficacy of the FSU defensive coordinator. Someone suggested that FSU's DC is 'not very good'. To which I simply pointed out if you compare the performance of Kelly's defense against Alabama's and their three most recent shared opponents, his defense has outperformed.
Your contribution that Alabama won the national title is helpful, as it focuses attention on the fact FSU held Watson and Co. to 23 points at home, while Alabama allowed 40 against the same team. Furthering the point that something is being done right on the defensive side of the ball at FSU.
If Coker hadn't been worried about riding the bench behind Winston I don't think 23 points would have been enough for Clemson to win that game, but he transferred and as you pointed out, won his natty elsewhere. I can't find fault in Charles Kelly for any of that.
Heck, the Bama defense even let the UF offense score, something FSU did not do last season...
giphy.gif

Bama was sandbagging for the playoffs :cool:

oH. The calculus of common opponents is probably one of the insipid, and useless kinds of analysis one can do.

Things like this, "which team won the NC? By beating the team that beat FSU?" are pretty insipid and useless when making relative determinations of the quality of a team's defense, I'd agree. But I think when you look at 3 games against common opponents in less than a year, and in all three cases one team holds those opponents to less points, yards, and generates more turnovers, a picture begins to emerge about the relative strengths of their defense.
I can understand why someone would not want to see that picture, but I'm still curious what is 'very good', when doing better than Bama isn't...

Charles Kelly is not a very good DC. It is what it is.

If FSUs defense was as good as Bama's you would be winning national titles like Bama is and your not. Unless you think it is the FSU offense that is underachieving? You make the call.

And yet somehow DC Kelly held down QB Kelly better than Alabama did last year.
Chad Kelly had a worse completion%, fewer yards on more attempts, more sacks (5 v 2), more INTs (3 v 0), and more fumbles (1 v 0) than against Saban's crew...

Gotta love how no one watches games. Did FSU turn it over 5 times last night?

I didn't know I walked into an FSU circle jerk.

But I assume that's how it works now.

Get one black QB and then let another one replace a white guy, and all of a sudden you're not French Rapists lead by a grown man with a toddler's nickname.

But I assume that's how it works now.

Get one black QB and then let another one replace a white guy, and all of a sudden you're not French Rapists lead by a grown man with a toddler's nickname.

After reading this post I'll just assume you're an alcoholic and a drug addict.

Charles Kelly is not a very good DC. It is what it is.

If better results than Bama against the same teams isn't 'very good', what is?
Do you expect the FSU defense to outscore UF, not just hold them scoreless?

If FSUs defense was as good as Bama's you would be winning national titles like Bama is and your not.

Last season we were struggling at QB, not like some teams, but certainly by recent standards.

Unless you think it is the FSU offense that is underachieving? You make the call.

I do think Coker is a better QB than Maguire.
You can appreciate the difference a QB makes, right?

Things like this, "which team won the NC? By beating the team that beat FSU?" are pretty insipid and useless when making relative determinations of the quality of a team's defense, I'd agree. But I think when you look at 3 games against common opponents in less than a year, and in all three cases one team holds those opponents to less points, yards, and generates more turnovers, a picture begins to emerge about the relative strengths of their defense.
I can understand why someone would not want to see that picture, but I'm still curious what is 'very good', when doing better than Bama isn't...

Whatever ever you need to believe to make you feel better about yourself.

They had a nice win. An impressive comeback win against a decent team, for that matter. Even with all that, they still apparently need to come over here to get our approval. I say apparently because half of these little shits have never been here before, and the other half have been gone for some time.

Of course, they will try and dispute their Stuart Smalley personas, but with every post, with every protestation, they will go a long way to reinforcing it.

I think the two WR you mention have already played, and played well against good competition. As have the RB's

I was saying Powell and Callaway are proven commodities. Those behind them from the freshmen to the upper class men have not yet.

Scarlett has shown signs here and there but yet to show a consistent every game type of back just yet. Pretty much the same case for the other Jordan but he has shown a little more. Mark Thompson has not shown too much of anything just yet.

I think that was the first thing I articulated. That you did not realize that is not very surprising.

Much like most other physics majors who went to a now defunct, no name mid-western school and latched on to a D1 program to root for, you probably overthink just about everything.

Reactions: goldmom
I was saying Powell and Callaway are proven commodities. Those behind them from the freshmen to the upper class men have not yet.

My mistake then. I guess I misread it.

Scarlett has shown signs here and there but yet to show a consistent every game type of back just yet. Pretty much the same case for the other Jordan but he has shown a little more. Mark Thompson has not shown too much of anything just yet.

Scarlett is a good back. Probably our best one overall. For short yardage, I might go to Thompson. He has only played one game for us thus far, but looks like a bruiser.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT