ADVERTISEMENT

Have they fired Charlie yet????

He surely will be fired, and deservedly so. I'm as big a Charlie Strong as there is and wanted him at UF instead of Muschamp, but 3-4 in year three at UT in hat garbage conference is completely unacceptable. He'll get a good coordinator gig somewhere and probably do a great job.

I like Charlie, the Texas job didn't seem like the right fit from the beginning. Hes a good coach and should land on his feet.

Reactions: sadgator
I like Charlie Strong, but he arguably wouldn't have gotten the UT job if it wasn't for Teddy Bridgewater.

Can't you say this about every coach that wins? They all have great players.

That rationale is overplayed anyway. Louisville was 6-6, 5-7, and 4-8 the three years before he got there. That turnaround didn't happen because of one player. Louisville has actually had a ton of dudes drafted as of late, all lower ranked kids that were found and developed by Strong. He should have just never gone to Texas to begin with, they didn't want him and he had no contacts over there.

I like Charlie Strong, but he arguably wouldn't have gotten the UT job if it wasn't for Teddy Bridgewater.
Same argument could be made about jimbo and jamie. Charlie did a nice job at the ville. He recruited some solid players and turned the program around quickly.

Strong and Texas just isn't/wasn't a good fit. I really like Charlie as a DC just not sure about his head coaching abilities. He'll be just fine no matter what.

Texas is a very political place and you need a coach that can play the game with the big time boosters. I don't even think Saban would last there.

Texas is a very political place and you need a coach that can play the game with the big time boosters. I don't even think Saban would last there.
I think this is right. That said, a good friend is a big Texas fan, fairly well connected. According to him, Charlie has apparently done a poor job with building the HS relationships he needs to be a successful recruiter. Plus he reported that Charlie's head coaching organizational skills are sorely lacking.

Strong should've stayed at Louisville.
Petrino should've gone to Miami (and I'm quite thankful he didn't)
Mark Richt should've gone to UT. He's not an elite coach, but he is an elite schmoozer and would have fit in well with the boosters and locals. Combine all of that with easy peasy recruiting, even a 4/5 star coach would have done well in Austin.

Strong should've stayed at Louisville.
Petrino should've gone to Miami (and I'm quite thankful he didn't)
Mark Richt should've gone to UT. He's not an elite coach, but he is an elite schmoozer and would have fit in well with the boosters and locals. Combine all of that with easy peasy recruiting, even a 4/5 star coach would have done well in Austin.
Yep, don't disagree with this.

Not sold on strong as being some real good head coach. Watching Louisville he struck gold with that QB. Didnt pay attention to his recruiting at Texas to see if that went well or not.

Not sold on strong as being some real good head coach. Watching Louisville he struck gold with that QB. Didnt pay attention to his recruiting at Texas to see if that went well or not.

The irony is sadgator it will be garbage defense not offense that will have cost Webster his job in Asstin

Last edited:
His recruiting at Texas was below average and ultimately cost him. He did not establish good relationships with the Texas HS coaches and did too much recruiting in FL (his comfort zone).
He is done!

They should keep him regardless but they won't. The class Mack Brown left him was the first in something like 60 years to not have a player drafted. They hadn't had a QB since McCoy either. In three years Strong has stacked that roster and now they got a stud QB. They're a very young team. Their center is a true freshman for example. They'd probably be favorites to win the Big 12 next year.

I don't understand why Charlie is getting so much heat in Texas. The Mack Brown regime completely fell asleep at the wheel with that program. Strong has restocked the shelves with a young and fairly talented roster.

I don't understand why Charlie is getting so much heat in Texas. The Mack Brown regime completely fell asleep at the wheel with that program. Strong has restocked the shelves with a young and fairly talented roster.

Because their fanbase is delusional. If not for Vince Young carrying them to a title they wouldn't have a championship since the 60's despite all their money and in-state talent. You'd think that would tell them that the way they do things isn't working.

They should keep him regardless but they won't. The class Mack Brown left him was the first in something like 60 years to not have a player drafted. They hadn't had a QB since McCoy either. In three years Strong has stacked that roster and now they got a stud QB. They're a very young team. Their center is a true freshman for example. They'd probably be favorites to win the Big 12 next year.

I don't disagree. But I think they are paniced about losing Herman. They could land a very good class this year too. And he is undefeated at home. But at the end of the day I think he is out.

Beating that joke ass baylor team or WVUs joke ass team gets no respect from me from either team. The big 12 is an absolute embarrassment

Well he just knocked off Baylor and it looks like the Texas fans sure were happy about it. I don't think WVU is going to be that tough as their undefeated (till today ) run was mostly smoke, mirrors, and a very weak first half of a schedule.

Am I reading this thread correctly?

Let's pretend that some of you don't have a bizarre soft spot for Charlie...you would take these results at Florida in year 3?

Really?

As mich of a mess as Mac inherited, I was nothing compared to what Charlie got. He was handed a MAC roster, if that. Add to it I think he dismissed something like 8 players from the team right away.

Am I reading this thread correctly?

Let's pretend that some of you don't have a bizarre soft spot for Charlie...you would take these results at Florida in year 3?

Really?

All situations ain't the same. Even when it comes to Mac I've said over and over the only thing I wanna see is competence on his side of the ball and better recruiting. I generally don't judge harshly until year 3-4.

Texas' roster was absolute dogshit. The QB they had, Swoopes, had like a 2-8 record in HS or something ridiculous. Mack Brown left a class that resulted in no players being drafted at one point. All the best players on Texas' team are true freshmen or sophomores. It's gonna take time when that's the case. And I don't have a soft spot for him, wasn't a huge fan of him when he was here.

Yea, Charlie inherited a bad football program. Mac inherited a great defense and a bad offense.

I like Charlie Strong but things haven't improved at Texas. It wasn't a good fit.

He's in year 3, right?

Shouldn't Charlie be judged off his own players by now?

The rules some of you make for different things is astounding.

He is being judged by his own players? They're one of the 5 youngest teams in the country. How many teams don't lose games with a true freshman QB? Put another way, if Mac had to start Jake Allen next year what would your expectation for the season be?

He is being judged by his own players? They're one of the 5 youngest teams in the country. How many teams don't lose games with a true freshman QB? Put another way, if Mac had to start Jake Allen next year what would your expectation for the season be?
Yet some guys do not give McElwain/Nuss the same room for error. Our offense is, I do believe, on of the youngest in the the SEC, if not the nation

Then tell me again how Charlie's problems are due to things Mack Brown did years ago.

And when you guys are finished defending him, you can get back to bashing Mac, who is 16-5 and working on back-to-back division titles.

Yet some guys do not give McElwain/Nuss the same room for error. Our offense is, I do believe, on of the youngest in the the SEC, if not the nation

Be accurate. I've said repeatedly I've seen enough from Mac to know he's a damn good coach between the white lines. His staff is a weakness though, namely Nuss. That and his recruiting. Outside of that, I haven't been critical.

Through six games, UF has played 14 true freshmen and 22 newcomers. In the season opener against UMass, 17 of the 51 players (33.3%) that saw action were making their Florida debut.

In 2016, true freshmen have 23 tackles thus far.

• In 20 total games under head coach Jim McElwain, true freshmen have accomplished the following…
• 164 total games played | 39 starts on offense/defense | 16 total touchdowns | 129 rushes for 657 yards | 65 receptions for
1,172 yards | 76 tackles, 11.5 tackles-for-loss, 5.5 sacks
• In 2016, Florida returned 50 letterwinners and 16 starters. UF has the third-fewest seniors in the country with 15

Then tell me again how Charlie's problems are due to things Mack Brown did years ago.

And when you guys are finished defending him, you can get back to bashing Mac, who is 16-5 and working on back-to-back division titles.

Why quote my post if you won't address anything in it? It's like y'all are attempting to play 'gotcha' instead of responding to what's there.

Yea Mack Brown left a bad roster, you don't set records for draft futility if that's not the case. Even with Muschamp's 'shit' recruiting classes we were top 5 in the country in players drafted as a point of comparison. So because of that, in year 2 his entire first class got the bulk of PT. They had something like 19 underclassmen in their two deep last year and started as much as 7 true freshmen on defense. Now in year 3 his second full class (the true freshmen) are playing with or backing up the true sophomores. So yea it's all related.

And I'm not seeing why you're comparing Strong to Mac except to play some silly gotcha game. I wasn't a big fan of Strong when he was here, didn't want him at UF when people were saying we should have gotten him instead of Muschamp, and wouldn't take him now either. And nobody has 'bashed' Mac either all I've said from jump is his side of the ball needs to become competent and he needs to recruit better. How terrible.

Through six games, UF has played 14 true freshmen and 22 newcomers. In the season opener against UMass, 17 of the 51 players (33.3%) that saw action were making their Florida debut.

In 2016, true freshmen have 23 tackles thus far.

• In 20 total games under head coach Jim McElwain, true freshmen have accomplished the following…
• 164 total games played | 39 starts on offense/defense | 16 total touchdowns | 129 rushes for 657 yards | 65 receptions for
1,172 yards | 76 tackles, 11.5 tackles-for-loss, 5.5 sacks
• In 2016, Florida returned 50 letterwinners and 16 starters. UF has the third-fewest seniors in the country with 15

So?

Once again what point are y'all trying to prove except to play some silly gotcha game. Who has called for Mac's head? If your point is Mac plays as many young guys as Texas, awesome. I'm not nor have I called for his head either, so there's no double standard.

Not trying to play gotcha. Like Danny, I just wonder where the intellectual consistency might be with you and Michi.

On one hand, you guys cut Charlie some slack for inheriting a poor overall team in terms of talent. A point with which I agree. You point out that he plays a lot of young guys and that leads to some incisnsitency.

Yet we do not see that same level of intellectual consistency when evaluating the McElwain offense. Or the Nuss offense for that matter. As the numbers show, the whole Gator team is very young. That is particularly true for the offense.

Wtf are you people talking about? If you're not going to address what I post then don't quote it. I don't speak for Michi and he doesn't speak for me. I've not a single time called for Mac's head and I don't think Strong should be fired either. Some inconsistency.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT