ADVERTISEMENT

Football Grits notes..

SpaceGrits

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2022
It’s so hard to judge progress in this type of game; a pissed-off Gator team against an overmatched, out-talented opponent. You watch a good play by the Gators and you ask yourself “Is that improvement or is that Samford?”. It’s some of both, but which one is which?

The deep ball to Badger was a great play and Badger will be a good player for us but if that’s Mizell or Tre that’s a touchdown. Still, Badger catches the ball and doesn’t go down easy. He almost looked like Kadarius Toney on that long pass in the first quarter.

OL and DL played better than last week but again, was that progress or was that Samford? I know which way I lean. The perimeter defense looked better.

Best player name: Samford DB Midnight Steward

Tackling, especially in the open field, definitely looks better than last year.

Young players who I thought played well: George Gumbs, Michael Boireau, and Greg Smith. Who didn’t: Kam Waites.

That personal foul on Jason Marshall was pretty iffy. The two helmet–to–helmets that should've been called on Samford were not.

Dez Watson made a “tackle” by grabbing the running back at the line of scrimmage and just standing there. Neither the RB nor the lineman trying to push him moved Big Dez an inch, LOL

What’s happened to Marcus Burke?

There must be a reason we don’t use Tre Wilson as a downfield receiver and I’d love to know what it is. He finally broke one Saturday night but I don't understand this throwing sideways to him most of the time.

Let the record show that 8-year veteran Jemarkus Weston finally made a play. Let the record also show that Steve Addazio is a very “meh” announcer.

Derek Lagway Jr, a.k.a. “DJ”. Similar to “Danny” and “Timmy”, 20 years from now you can just say “DJ” and everyone will know who you’re talking about. DJ is AR with better “QB” skills. “Too soon!” you say? “AR was generational!” you say? After the spring game, people told me that Baugh would make us forget about ETN so yeah, I get to do it too. DJ is everything we thought he would be and more. It looked like one of his high school games. The offense looks different with him, the receivers (who looked like they were running in mud last week) suddenly looked swift and elusive. We’ll have to see if it transitions to the SEC schedule, opposing DC’s now have a full game of tape on him to start scheming for him. Texas A&M is going to be interesting to see how DJ responds to an SEC defense.....speaking of that game…

You cannot start DJ over Graham, not yet. That wouldn’t be fair to Graham and it’s not best for DJ either. Graham didn’t suddenly become bad because DJ suddenly looked great. Yes, GM struggled against UM but we all know he’s better than that and he’s the 6th year senior. A mix of the two of them is great for the Gators and I think we’ll see that going forward. If Graham suddenly starts struggling again then you can make the case for DJ to take over. Just not yet.

I enjoyed Saturday night and I saw some progress. I also saw some Samford.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.