ADVERTISEMENT

Grier...

Treon's completion percentage this year is inflated due to 1) he takes off many times unless the receiver is wide open, which he could get away with against NMSU and ECU and 2) very small sample size against subpar competition. Dude was sub 50% last year.

Grier played against those same bad defenses.

When it comes to last year I keep asking this question over and over...this and every other board have claimed that Muschamp was so inept and so bad that he made every offensive player look worse than they were. To the point that people have a Jeff Driskel thread tracking his performance just so they can say 'see Muschamp sucks so much he made him look bad! It wasn't his fault!' Yet those same people insist on judging a true freshman who had to perform under that terrible system with no spring practice, no PT until halfway through the season, and receivers dropping balls all over the place. How does that make any sense? If what y'all say about Muschamp is true, then you should give most every offensive player the benefit of the doubt, especially a true freshman QB. Fact is, under Mac, Treon has been a completely different QB. There's this meme out there that he's late on throws, has a weak arm, is inaccurate, etc., etc. yet Mac who is harsh on both QB's never seem to mention any of that. And things like bailing the pocket early are criticisms he's had for Grier, not the other way around. People see what they wanna see I guess.

.... yet Mac who is harsh on both QB's never seem to mention any of that.

I agree with much of what you say on most football discussions. Including this one. That said, if Mac has not talked about Harris much, he has done one thing that is very telling. He has started Grier for 3 straight games. Once when Grier was nearly overcome with the flu bug.

Harris isn't an accurate enough passer to be an every game starting QB in the SEC. He's just not good enough. This was my opinion when we were recruiting him. I still feel the same today. Maybe he will prove me wrong.

I agree with much of what you say on most football discussions. Including this one. That said, if Mac has not talked about Harris much, he has done one thing that is very telling. He has started Grier for 3 straight games. Once when Grier was nearly overcome with the flu bug.

Right and I think you and I both agreed before though, that had he not been an idiot and gotten suspended, he would have played against UT and Mac's comments after that game sort of pointed to that. And who knows what would have happened from there. Wasn't there talk early in that week he was starting for UT also? Oh well, his loss. Grier took advantage and grabbed hold of the spot and should keep it unless his play fades.

People see what they wanna see I guess.

And people hear what they wanna hear as well.

Good point on the Muschamp/Driskel dynamic. Hopefully we regain our spot where we are regular contenders and a lot of this dumb shit will go away. (Not you)

Right and I think you and I both agreed before though, that had he not been an idiot and gotten suspended, he would have played against UT and Mac's comments after that game sort of pointed to that. And who knows what would have happened from there. Wasn't there talk early in that week he was starting for UT also? Oh well, his loss. Grier took advantage and grabbed hold of the spot and should keep it unless his play fades.
All very true. Which kinda reinforces Mac's decision. Choosing a QB is not always about just physical talent. It is also leadership and making good judgements and coming through in the clutch.

It was indeed fortunate for Grier that Harris made his bad choices. It gave him an opportunity to be a hero, when it might have been Harris that become a hero. That Harris screwed up and Grier performed is notable.

Yep all good points. Grier has swag man, it's the only way I know to describe it. I didn't pick up on that until his press conference after Ole Miss. He just kind shrugged everything off almost as if to say 'yea, I'm supposed to do that.'

Yep all good points. Grier has swag man, it's the only way I know to describe it. I didn't pick up on that until his press conference after Ole Miss. He just kind shrugged everything off almost as if to say 'yea, I'm supposed to do that.'

I missed it...did he say "we scrong"?

LOL thankfully no.

"And den I said if you scrong den i'm scrong and we all scrong den!"

And the intangibles! 5/5 on 4th down to win the game from behind, cannot coach that kind of intangible.

Leadership:
2014 Suspended and missed a game (or 2?).
2015 Suspended and missed a game AGAIN!

Sorry, but I'm not trusting my team's future to that kind of a NON-leader.
It would be bad enough if he was just a stater at another position (CB), but he's a freakin' QB... o_O

This game coming up is the big game for Grier, he has to prove Ole Miss game was not a fluke. Mizzou has an excellent defense, should be a good test

Reactions: GatorNation79

What if we would have put treon in when it all looked lost down 13 with 8 minutes left against UT?

I just wonder if that's when they would have put him in, and I think it would have been the latter when we were forced to throw every down.

If they had put him in that situation he would have failed. But I think most QB's would though, I highly doubt we see what happened in that fourth quarter again, even elite QB's don't have games where they go perfect on 4th down. My guess is that if they would have put him in it would have been in the first half or in the early third.

I was impressed with his progressions this week. First time all year he's done that. Hopefully his improvement will continue. We need Treon to stick. As Ooz mentioned we need the competition at QB.

I'm thinking that we have a TH type already on the roster that could step in and fill his roll.

Treon Harris 5-11 195 So 1L
Highlights: 2014 - Suspended --- 2015 Suspended Again

Josh Grady 6-0 200 rsSr
He completed his only pass and had 2 runs for 21 yds this season.
Solid student, citizen, and backup QB.

Two-year starter at Armwood. As senior QB, he was 182 of 256 passes (71.1%) for 2,109 yards, 24 TD's and just 5 Int's, helping 14-1 Armwood to 4A state finals.

Leadership:
2014 Suspended and missed a game (or 2?).

Sorry, but I'm not trusting my team's future to that kind of a NON-leader.
It would be bad enough if he was just a stater at another position (CB), but he's a freakin' QB... o_O

He was suspended in 2014 for not raping someone.
Have you ever not raped someone?

I think you have worn out your welcome. Time to take out the trash.

The 2014 suspension was based on a false allegation. The kid lost the chance to start his first game at home against LSU. Using that suspension to knock his character or leadership is low rent.

The 2014 suspension was based on a false allegation. The kid lost the chance to start his first game at home against LSU. Using that suspension to knock his character or leadership is low rent.
Sorry. I misunderstood your intent. Your comment could be interpreted in a number of ways.

My bad.

I think you have worn out your welcome. Time to take out the trash.
He was suspended in 2014 for not raping someone.
Have you ever not raped someone?

So I should also just over look the 2014 borrowing a car to speed around on campus, with no drivers license and with weed in the car, taking a couple of other players with me to show my quality leadership?

And having the girl drop the charges, ON THE CONDITION that he stays away from her from now on, is not the same thing as being totally innocent imoho. Bad choices, even when the charges were later dropped.

You probably are a strong crab-man supporter too.... o_O

Interesting stat I read on Grier:

Against the blitz, Grier is 26 of 27 for 302 yards, 4 TDs, 1 int & 3 sacks. Those are Tom Brady numbers.

Reactions: SwampMaster
That's sick! Wasn't a big fan of Nuss but I think he's done a good job in that area. We always have very quick outlets when teams blitz us, whether it's the drag, the WR pops, and even some curls. It gives a nice, safe throw to the QB.

Reactions: 46885
That's sick! Wasn't a big fan of Nuss but I think he's done a good job in that area. We always have very quick outlets when teams blitz us, whether it's the drag, the WR pops, and even some curls. It gives a nice, safe throw to the QB.

It is also a testament to the Summers and the OLine on picking up many of the blitzes.

The TE position is huge for us

Unbalanced line. You know who ran lots of unbalanced lines from Pistol and the gun??? Chip Kelly!

The coaching job this year has been phenomenal...play call has been some of the absolute best in the business. Mac Attack is rolling like a big shot. I know that they mix it up some but I love what we are doing out of the pistol. A lot of coaches talk about playing to their teams strengthens but not a lot of them do it...or they don't do it well. Mac is really not only getting everything that they can out of these kids but the player development has been amazing. I'm calling it now...Mac is going to be National/SEC Coach of the Year this year.

The coaching job this year has been phenomenal...play call has been some of the absolute best in the business. Mac Attack is rolling like a big shot. I know that they mix it up some but I love what we are doing out of the pistol. A lot of coaches talk about playing to their teams strengthens but not a lot of them do it...or they don't do it well. Mac is really not only getting everything that they can out of these kids but the player development has been amazing. I'm calling it now...Mac is going to be National/SEC Coach of the Year this year.

Are you insinuating that running Rainey and Demps between the tackles was not playing to our strengths?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT