ADVERTISEMENT

Franks v. Trask v. Jones in 2020?

And on another note: ol @instaGATOR was spot on about Trask and Chip Kelly.
It seriously is one of the most remarkable developments in the past 17 years on this Board...

Insta absolutely nailed it...and some people just refuse to accept it...

For the record...sadgator was a Trask skeptic, but has been completely won over this season...sumbitch has played beyond sadgator’s wildest expectations and is an exceptional passer...

Reactions: SwampLander
I just looked hard at his HS film, listened to his fellow QB and players, and took his HS coach's comments seriously. Go in with an open mind, look closely, and it seemed pretty obvious to me. Him being 6-5 230 and a 4.0 student and citizen was the icing on the cake for me. Just imagine if this was his 4th year with Dan.

On Monday, Kyle Trask was asked about his (NFL) conversation with Mullen and what his plans were for after the season. The redshirt junior seemed to be taken aback by the question.

"Like my personal decision?" Trask said after a pause. "I mean, I still have a whole another year here, so I don't plan on leaving. But it's great seeing how just being informed, I'm glad coach Mullen does that, just to let us all know how it works."

According to Mullen, Franks' rehab has gone well from his broken and dislocated ankle, but it is very unlikely that that he will be ready to go by spring practice. IF everyone else stays, it's a 4 QB room....

https://florida.rivals.com/news/gators-qb-kyle-trask-i-don-t-plan-on-leaving-

As to Cow-Chip Kelly, he was a turd of a person to Tebow with the Eagles.
To his intelligence, he chose Badford and the Sanchise while cutting Tim, proving him a clueless moron to me. :cool: (the Eagles agreed with me eventually and fired his loser azz)

Reactions: seffnergator

For the record...sadgator was a Trask skeptic

Yep and yep, glad to be wrong. He can sling it but with some better pocket awareness it's very good. All things considered happy for the player. He's a great kid and a great story.

Yep and yep, glad to be wrong. He can sling it but with some better pocket awareness it's very good. All things considered happy for the player. He's a great kid and a great story.
After two more games this season, offseason reinforcement, and spring and fall practice, I'm thinking a huge season out of Trask next year. His passing touch and decisionmaking are great. Like Spurrier said, he throws a very catchable ball in the right spots too. Spurrier would love to call plays for Trask.

What this means for Franks and Jones, I don't know. Jones will still have 2 more years after Trask is gone. ARich will have 2 years after Jones is gone.

It seriously is one of the most remarkable developments in the past 17 years on this Board...

For the record...sadgator was a Trask skeptic, but has been completely won over this season...sumbitch has played beyond sadgator’s wildest expectations and is an exceptional passer...

Yep I was a skeptic also but Trasks HS film looked pretty good but we know that doesn't always translate.

Yep I was a skeptic also but Trasks HS film looked pretty good but we know that doesn't always translate.

And that's why I didn't go on just his HS film. o_O
They ran a full on read/run spread option offense, and 1A was a QB/RB type player.
Kyle's fellow QB said; "we never saw Kyle as the #2 QB, we were 1A and 1B."
His HS coach raved about him and played him in the 3rd and 7th series of their games.
He finished HS throwing for 72%, 17 TD's, ZERO interceptions. :eek:

And that's why I didn't go on just his HS film. o_O
They ran a full on read/run spread option offense, and 1A was a QB/RB type player.
Kyle's fellow QB said; "we never saw Kyle as the #2 QB, we were 1A and 1B."
His HS coach raved about him and played him in the 3rd and 7th series of their games.
He finished HS throwing for 72%, 17 TD's, ZERO interceptions. :eek:

Also that QB is pretty good.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Also that QB is pretty good.

Kyle Trask - SEC / Florida
2019 came in for injured Franks, already a rsJr but will stay at UF for 2020.

D'Eriq King - AAC / Houston
2019 injured in game 4, taking a redshirt and will play for Houston as a rsSr in 2020

I would not trade Trask for King, nor play Jones instead of Trask, but that's me... :cool:

Last edited:
Kyle Trask - SEC / Florida
2019 came in for injured Franks, already a rsJr but will stay at UF for 2020.

D'Eriq King - AAC / Houston
2019 injured in game 4, taking a redshirt and will play for Houston as a rsSr in 2020

I would not trade Trask for King, not play Jones instead of Trask, but that's me... :cool:
It's probably just me but, didn't D'Eriq King suck as a starter?

It's probably just me but, didn't D'Eriq King suck as a starter?
Last year he was 7-3 as a starter. Passed for just a hair any under 3000 yards 36 TD's to 6 INTs. Rushed for another 679 yards and 14 TD's before going down with an injury. In 2017 he didnt start until midway through the season and passed for 1,260 TD's to 2 picks and rushed for 379 yards and 8 TD'S. His freshman year he was set to redshirt but injuries to multiple WR's he played WR caught 29 balls for 228 yards and a TD. Over his career he has played WR, QB, and rerurned kicks/punts. Even played a little RB his freshman season.

His senior year he did start 1-3 under a new coaching staff before redshirting. Two of those games were against Wazzu and Oklahoma. In those 4 games he had 663 passing yards and 312 rushing yards.

His junior year numbers were just under Kylar Murray and Dewayne Haskins.

This past spring you could have gotten 200-1 odds on Joe Burrow winning the heisman.

If trask is on the odds Board in this coming spring...it might be worth a Benjamin...just sayin’...

Damn that would have been a good bet with them installing that new offense.

18 Ath/WR/QB D'Eriq King 5-9.5 170 ***

He was a great QB-dt for a HS team.
He was recruited to Houston as a WR/Ath.
He was forced into playing QB by Houston team injuries.
He's played very well when healthy, but his physical size is his biggest drawback.

Most schools saw and recruited him as a 'Toney' type player. Super Athlete, but not as a Power-5 QB.

His Best Offers: Houston, aTm, Baylor, Clemson, Mizzou, Okla, Tx, UCLA.
He chose to stay home and play for nearby Houston. (good for him)
While only rated a 3-star, he's a very solid all around young man.
I would have also recruited him to UF as a WR/Ath, like Toney.

Mullen can impress me by getting recruiting where it needs to be and actually winning the things we need to win to get back in the mix again.

6-2 in the SEC with two close losses is in the mix.

I just don't understand your belief that UF should be Bama and anybody that doesn't turn us into Bama (immediately) should be fired.

6-2 in the SEC with two close losses is in the mix.

I just don't understand your belief that UF should be Bama and anybody that doesn't turn us into Bama (immediately) should be fired.

No I don't think it has to happen the first 2 years but I think the gap may be bigger next year talent wise with GA.

No I don't think it has to happen the first 2 years but I think the gap may be bigger next year talent wise with GA.

I will tell you what I told them. Their depth chart shows 9 upperclassmen on defense this year, and 6 of their top 8 DL are seniors, so massive turnover on defense next year. If Fromm leaves they have a freshman at QB. You sure the talent gap widens?

https://dawgpost.com/georgia-football/depth-chart

I will tell you what I told them. Their depth chart shows 9 upperclassmen on defense this year, and 6 of their top 8 DL are seniors, so massive turnover on defense next year. If Fromm leaves they have a freshman at QB. You sure the talent gap widens?

https://dawgpost.com/georgia-football/depth-chart

They have a bunch behind the people leaving but QB could possibly be an issue for them if Fromm leaves.

As far as us we will be less talented than 2018 and 2019 it appears.

All Quality Recruiting ends in August, so the Gators are already doomed to fevered brain failure.... :rolleyes:

They have a bunch behind the people leaving but QB could possibly be an issue for them if Fromm leaves.

As far as us we will be less talented than 2018 and 2019 it appears.

In 2006 we won a national title. Remember that? We won with an awesome defense that all went pro. In 2007 our defense was terrible. In 2008 our defense was great, full of future pros.

Except in 2007, our defense was also filled with future pros, but it wasn't very good because there was too much turnover from year to year.

I don't care if UGa has future pros in the wings, if they lose too many guys at once they won't be very good.

You guys thunk Fever is insufferable now, you better hope FSU doesn’t hire Norvell

But for aomw reason he doesn’t seem to be on their radar so we may be safe

After two more games this season, offseason reinforcement, and spring and fall practice, I'm thinking a huge season out of Trask next year. His passing touch and decisionmaking are great. Like Spurrier said, he throws a very catchable ball in the right spots too. Spurrier would love to call plays for Trask.

What this means for Franks and Jones, I don't know. Jones will still have 2 more years after Trask is gone. ARich will have 2 years after Jones is gone.

I hope you are right.

However, pocket awareness and red zone decision making are hard to teach.

and again, if we go with Trask, great. But then we have to hold off on the ‘its year 3 Mullen has his guys’. Mullen will ‘have his guys’ once we have a DT-QB starting. Until then we will not fully see Mullen

In 2006 we won a national title. Remember that? We won with an awesome defense that all went pro. In 2007 our defense was terrible. In 2008 our defense was great, full of future pros.

Except in 2007, our defense was also filled with future pros, but it wasn't very good because there was too much turnover from year to year.

I don't care if UGa has future pros in the wings, if they lose too many guys at once they won't be very good.

Our 07 young defenders just needed an off-season in the weight room as it was easy to see the talent there.

I just think we have a little dropoff in talent on both sides next season. Hopefully the O line will be able to run block a little unlike this year.

EJ will be. Needs to gain about 15 lbs though.
That kid stays he will be Mullen best QB he ever coached. Yes. I said it. Let the debate begin.
And to the poster EJ has a stronger arm than
Trask. Trask ratings are very good though.
CDM knows what he’s doing and what he wants for as his featured QB. SEE Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Ravens.

Go Gators!!!

Reactions: Michi_Gator
Nm. Lamar Jackson reference. Let’s just say Jake Fromm and Justin Fields as a comparison. No Brisset and Driskel. Well.. you get my point.
Trask will flourish in a pro-style offense and good in CDM offense but EJ will be better than Trask and Franks..

Go Gators!!!

Actually Dan chose Franks

Proving that Dan's not perfect... ;) -- :D

Franks was the previous year's starter and I believe that the team got a little input on Dan's decision,,, who they were already comfortable with.... :rolleyes:

But tell me, will Dan bench Trask for either Franks or Jones in 2020? :cool:

As to who the 2020 QB is, that will be sorted out between Jan and Aug. by the 3-4 QB's that are available.

rsSr Trask
rsSr Franks - not projected back for Spring.
rsSo Jones

Early Enrollee incoming QB-dt
Anthony Richardson 6-4 230 4.5/40, CANNON arm. (70+ yds)
Offers: UF - UGA, Mich, PSU, UL, VaTech, UCF, USF, etc....
Anthony is such an athlete that he'll sometimes switch out and play WR.
See his leaping one handed catch here...
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/204777/featured/videos

At any rate, the competition will be open again for 2020, and as always, may the best QB win the job, while all of the others continue to improve.... :)

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT