ADVERTISEMENT

Egbunu out for the year

That really hurts. And Gak has a foot sprain that will keep him out for 10-14 days. More pressure on the guards and Devin Robinson to carry more of the load, as our rebounding is going to suffer. Hope Hayes & Rimmer can step up and play well without getting into foul trouble.

What's worse is that the tear was reportedly caused by his angst over our guards' substandard first-half performance.

Terrible news for John and the team. I wish him the best of luck in his recovery. This is a big blow to the team.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
With Egbunu, I think we were a legitimate second weekend team and maybe even a FF team.

Not so sure now, especially with the injury to Gak

What's new, only so much positive can finally start going right for Florida sports before something equally bad happens and a big time injury messes things up... Hard to find a school with more bad luck overall the last so many years in everything, or teams that have guys get hurt and be out for the rest of the year at the worst times.

I just said this last week too, with Florida you gotta hope everyone stays healthy even in basketball... and sadly I was right

Reactions: sadgator
Tough break. Others need to step up

The Gak will be back. Hayes and Rimmer, along with the recovering Stone will handle it.

TEAM -- Going into the Auburn game, the Gators ranked 4th in the SEC in scoring at 79 Pts/Gm, yet had no players ranked among the league's top 20 individual scorers.

After scoring 30 @ AU, Barry is now sitting at #20 with 13.4 Pts/Gm.
While 7 players scored in double figures @ AU.

I believe that Mike White will adjust the game plans to compensate fairly well for the loss of Big John, but we'll see soon enough....o_O

I would be surprised if Gak gives us much, although I'd love to see it. It's a tough game for young bigs. Probably Hayes and Rimmer the rest of the way. We might be better offensively with Hayes, but that's a tough knock on our defense and rebounding. Egbunu might have been the best defense and rebounding big in the NCAA.

I feel terrible for Egbunu. I'm sure he would have been drafted.

I would be surprised if Gak gives us much, although I'd love to see it. It's a tough game for young bigs. Probably Hayes and Rimmer the rest of the way. We might be better offensively with Hayes, but that's a tough knock on our defense and rebounding. Egbunu might have been the best defense and rebounding big in the NCAA.

Egbunu - 24 Gm, 19 GS, 22.3 Min/Gm, FG 49.2%, FT 56.7%, RB 6.6 Gm, Blk 36, Stl 8, TO 42 <<.
~~ RB 6.6 + Blk 36 + Stl 8 = 50.6 ---- TO = 42

Net defense 50.6 - 42 = 8.6 -- Pts 7.8

Hayes - 26 Gm, 7 GS, 15.4 Min/Gm, FG 63.6%, FT 68.5%, RB 3.8 Gm, Blk 41, Stl 12, TO 13 <<
~~ RB 3.8 + Blk 41 + Stl 12 = 56.8 --- TO = 13
Net defense 56.8 - 13 = 43.8 -- Pts 6.2

While I like Big John and the TEAM will miss him somewhat, it's not the BIG HIT that some might think that it is,,, if you go by the numbers, and especially if you adjusted it to Min/played.
IF you also compare the difference in their offensive production (shooting %)...

I agree that true Fr Gak is very raw, but the only way to get better/experience is to get on the floor. They only need him for 5-10 minutes per game anyway, and he can at least do that much just as soon as his sprained ankle is better.

Gak is still recovering from a foot injury. He might be back in time of UK.

I agree that losing John is a huge blow defensively.

I have not seen a NBA draft board that had Egbunu going higher than the 3rd round, but I will admit I only looked at one, Draft Express. They have John listed as the #22 ranked junior, which is probably at best a 3rd rounder.

Egbunu - 24 Gm, 19 GS, 22.3 Min/Gm, FG 49.2%, FT 56.7%, RB 6.6 Gm, Blk 36, Stl 8, TO 42 <<.
~~ RB 6.6 + Blk 36 + Stl 8 = 50.6 ---- TO = 42

Net defense 50.6 - 42 = 8.6 -- Pts 7.8

Hayes - 26 Gm, 7 GS, 15.4 Min/Gm, FG 63.6%, FT 68.5%, RB 3.8 Gm, Blk 41, Stl 12, TO 13 <<
~~ RB 3.8 + Blk 41 + Stl 12 = 56.8 --- TO = 13
Net defense 56.8 - 13 = 43.8 -- Pts 6.2

While I like Big John and the TEAM will miss him somewhat, it's not the BIG HIT that some might think that it is,,, if you go by the numbers, and especially if you adjusted it to Min/played.
IF you also compare the difference in their offensive production (shooting %)...

I agree that true Fr Gak is very raw, but the only way to get better/experience is to get on the floor. They only need him for 5-10 minutes per game anyway, and he can at least do that much just as soon as his sprained ankle is better.

We'll see. I think we're going to miss him badly. I don't think his numbers do justice to the way he was playing lately. He really struggled early in the season, but has been a monster the last few weeks as the Gators have played their best ball.

Reactions: SwampMaster

I have not seen a NBA draft board that had Egbunu going higher than the 3rd round, but I will admit I only looked at one, Draft Express. They have John listed as the #22 ranked junior, which is probably at best a 3rd rounder.
Pretty sure there are only 2 rounds (60 picks) in the NBA draft. Draft Express has Devin Robinson as the #14 pick in the 2nd round; Hill & Egbunu not listed. Tankathon.com, NBADraft.net, and Draftsite.com all have no Gators getting drafted.

We'll see. I think we're going to miss him badly. I don't think his numbers do justice to the way he was playing lately. He really struggled early in the season, but has been a monster the last few weeks as the Gators have played their best ball.

Well to fit the uk fans agenda we just lost pippen and jordan all at the same time to make their "post Bama Era" win all the way out to a 1 seed, then win every game until next years final four... They have "tweaked and figured out some stuff" against trash bama and Tennessee at home... While we are breaking new records for points and 3's on the road in the SEC this year.. We have no chance now with Karl Malone that couldn't make a lay up in any game this year out.

Mike White appears to have gotten this team to really bond and buy into what he's teaching. The loss of Egbunu hurts because he was THE big, strong, physical body in the lane. He had games where he couldn't catch the ball and couldn't make 2 foot shots. BUT, he's had other games, especially of late, where he played very well. Hayes is a talent and plays hard and with he and Egbunu rotating we were very solid at the 5 position. Now it'll be Hayes & Rimmer, at least until Gak gets back, with Stone helping out, although he's apparently still having some vertigo issues and has not played well at all since he came back from illness. I hate that the team lost a key player heading down the stretch and am pulling for them to figure out ways to keep winning. They're having a really, really good year and I'm interested to watch how it plays out. Starts tomorrow in Starkville. Go Gators!!

well it's not like we've had any offense from him on that side, he's done more damage on offense than good plenty of games and been outshined by Hayes PLENTY this year down there. Most scores for Egbunu have been dishes for wide open dunks that basically anyone can finish from Chiozza, allen or scourgy hill... It's on defense where the presence will be gone and rebounding, but i'd be a lot more discouraged if we lost Allen or Barry honestly overall. Which im sure i just insured their legs snapping from typing this against Miss State o_O

I believe he is a senior.

Hayes numbers at MsSt were better than Big John's season per game average.
Losing any starter will always hurt some. If you usually only play 5-6, then it can really hurt you. That's not the case here.

Those than can cover some as a group, for losing the starting center are:
C-PF Hayes 6-9 220 So (has played a lot and started some games)
C Rimmer 6-10 250 Sr (has improved since arriving from Stanford)
PF Stone 6-8 240 rsFr (just coming back from a weeks long viral infection)
C Gak 6-11 231 Fr (currently recovering from a sprained ankle)

And thanks to coach White, every single one of them has had some playing time this season....

I wish Big John well, but next man (men) up....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT