ADVERTISEMENT

Dilly Dilly in the Swamp?!?!?

When I was in school at UK, a friend invited me to join him and his frat buddies to a night game vs LSU. All was well until about mid-3rd Qtr..... without warning a guy pushed me and I thought he was trying to start a fight. A few seconds later, the dude behind me started puking right where I had been standing. Obviously I thanked him for saving me from humiliation. Like you said, sports and alcohol are an unpredictable mix.

Now that there is a financial incentive, the schools that end up selling alcohol at the games will undoubtedly crack down on people trying to sneak it in. We’ll see...

I attended a soccer game in England once, those guys make Tiger Stadium look tame.. They were drunk and violent hours before the game even started...Of course I didn't call it soccer when I was there.. They treat their club colors like a badge of honor.

I attended a soccer game in England once, those guys make Tiger Stadium look tame.. They were drunk and violent hours before the game even started...Of course I didn't call it soccer when I was there.. They treat their club colors like a badge of honor.

I hope you called it "unamerican football".

Reactions: fsumc
I hope you called it "unamerican football".
In high school, I had a much less endearing term for it. The way they flop, it makes the NBA look like rugby in comparison.. I dated a chick who played tennis, and soccer. I asked her why they just didn't do co-ed teams.. Neither her, or the guys who played soccer found that remark funny.

Reactions: gatordad3
Free flowing alcohol in the SWAMP! --- Now all UF needs is a men's soccer team to play there. Then they can install the chicken wire cages in the stands and expand the emergency rooms at Shands... :rolleyes:

Reactions: fsu939913
In high school, I had a much less endearing term for it. The way they flop, it makes the NBA look like rugby in comparison.. I dated a chick who played tennis, and soccer. I asked her why they just didn't do co-ed teams.. Neither her, or the guys who played soccer found that remark funny.

I played up into college (intramural, I was far from good), and I coached both my daughters for years. Between the two I coached 17 seasons. Not 17 years, there was a lot of overlap where I coached two teams at the same time. I really love the sport.

But I get what you are saying about the flopping. It's not how the game should be played, and I certainly never coached it. Quite the opposite. You should have seen my players get after it. Other than the regular passing, dribbling, etc, I had one drill I called "death match". I would line the kids up in two lines facing each other and place a ball down between them and say "go", and the kids at the front of the line had to charge the ball and win it. Loser had to getit and bring it to me and then they went to the back of the line. We won ALL the 50-50 balls in games. Taught them shoulder barges, heck, I would have taught slide tackles but they were illegal. We also worked hard on things like spacing, but we ran death match every practice.

Did I mention that I started this in the 6-7 year old group? It's something to watch kids that age get after it hardcore. I had opposing parents complain to the league that we were cheating, but the league watched the games and would tell them, no, that's just how soccer is actually played. Ah, good times.

I played up into college (intramural, I was far from good), and I coached both my daughters for years. Between the two I coached 17 seasons. Not 17 years, there was a lot of overlap where I coached two teams at the same time. I really love the sport.

But I get what you are saying about the flopping. It's not how the game should be played, and I certainly never coached it. Quite the opposite. You should have seen my players get after it. Other than the regular passing, dribbling, etc, I had one drill I called "death match". I would line the kids up in two lines facing each other and place a ball down between them and say "go", and the kids at the front of the line had to charge the ball and win it. Loser had to getit and bring it to me and then they went to the back of the line. We won ALL the 50-50 balls in games. Taught them shoulder barges, heck, I would have taught slide tackles but they were illegal. We also worked hard on things like spacing, but we ran death match every practice.

Did I mention that I started this in the 6-7 year old group? It's something to watch kids that age get after it hardcore. I had opposing parents complain to the league that we were cheating, but the league watched the games and would tell them, no, that's just how soccer is actually played. Ah, good times.
As much as I rag on soccer, I respect the conditioning that goes into it.. It is the most popular sport because it is relatively cheap, and entertaining to play.. I was a very untalented safety in high school.. I remember thinking I was in fairly good shape one offseason, I tried to get in on a game down at my local park.

After running up and down the field a few times, I kneeled down and felt like my lungs were about to explode.. These other dudes just kept pressing, I took myself out of the game and drove home.. Although I still contend American Football is superior, I left that field with a newfound respect for the conditioning those guys had.

They also don't have the head trauma issues..

As much as I rag on soccer, I respect the conditioning that goes into it.. It is the most popular sport because it is relatively cheap, and entertaining to play.. I was a very untalented safety in high school.. I remember thinking I was in fairly good shape one offseason, I tried to get in on a game down at my local park.

After running up and down the field a few times, I kneeled down and felt like my lungs were about to explode.. These other dudes just kept pressing, I took myself out of the game and drove home.. Although I still contend American Football is superior, I left that field with a newfound respect for the conditioning those guys had.

They also don't have the head trauma issues..
My brother played soccer and saw the conditioning his teams went through. What I don't envy is the amount of knee injuries that I've seen so many players sustain, including the very young soccer players who suffer knee injuries. A guy who sold orthopedic equipment( I paid him $1200 for a knee brace due to reconstructed ACL) used to tell me his eyes lit up every time he'd drive by parks watching kids playing soccer only because at least half those players would eventually end up as his customers.

I guess I’m weird like that. Drinking beer early in the heat of the day in direct sunlight knocks me out.
Alcohol related heat exhaustion and/or heat strokes are the biggest problem on Gator game days in Sept.There are 50+ in the SWAMP on a hot game day.

Avoid alcohol consumption and heat stroke this summer. One of the main issues you can face if drinking alcohol out in the hot summer sun is heat stroke. Heat stroke is brought on by dehydration, because although you are spending your time drinking to cool off, alcohol will actually lower your body’s ability to tolerate heat.

https://www.lifesafer.com/blog/avoid-alcohol-consumption-and-heat-stroke-this-summer/

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue/Orange
Is this the way you talk to soccer players?

Soccer still a better game than "Chase the Monkey."
I think Eriq La Salle thought it was better than soccer. Especially the way they bounce that ball off their heads.
Another Coming To America quote:
"I appreciate the way handled that dude with the gun. I would have helped you out, but, I had a cup of coffee in my hand."
I'll bet you learned all that from fightin' lions and tigers and sh**."

I think Eriq La Salle thought it was better than soccer. Especially the way they bounce that ball off their heads.
Another Coming To America quote:
"I appreciate the way handled that dude with the gun. I would have helped you out, but, I had a cup of coffee in my hand."
I'll bet you learned all that from fightin' lions and tigers and sh**."

I don't know, he was pretty dismissive of chase the monkey. All I know is every time I start talking about boxing, a white man's got to pull Rocky Marciano out his ass.

I don't know, he was pretty dismissive of chase the monkey. All I know is every time I start talking about boxing, a white man's got to pull Rocky Marciano out his ass.

Yep, and every time we talk 'Whoop Thar It Is" or "Can't Touch This," some white man's got to pull Mozart or Beethoven out his ass too... :rolleyes:

Yep, and every time we talk 'Whoop Thar It Is" or "Can't Touch This," some white man's got to pull Mozart or Beethoven out his ass too... :rolleyes:

Missed reference, misinterpreted tone, response built around a staggeringly sized generalization with vaguely racist overtones... this post may be peak Insta.

How do Justin Bieber and Miles Davis fit into your analysis?

Reactions: ukalum1988
Missed reference, misinterpreted tone, response built around a staggeringly sized generalization with vaguely racist overtones... this post may be peak Insta.

Just as clueless as expected. :rolleyes:
Someone get a crow-bar and remove that hook from dudlygators mouth for him...
:D:p:D

This thread reminded me of that hilarious story of the Longhorns fan that went to the Nebraska football game and then the Arizona B-ball game and got completely wrecked. It's a hilarious read if you haven't already had the pleasure.. Won't post a link since I'm not sure what sites are allowed to be linked from Rivals, but just google "Diary of a Texas fan 1999." It's about a ten minute read, but totally worth it.

As far as alcohol goes- Now that I'm older my tolerance for drunken antics is much lower that it would have been when I was at UF in the early 90s, so I'm conflicted. I get out to about two games every season, and it's much nicer not having to deal with puke all over the bathrooms, and people falling down all over the place, fighting, and just obnoxious in general.

Edit: Found the story on another Rivals-brand site, so will link for the lazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR

It took me a second to remember the quote, so I was pretty close to talking about how I do think Marciano is better but it was a different era.

The , I went "huh, wonder if anybody is going to-"

Then I saw instas post.

Classic.

I'll go back to drinking and ridiculing unamerican football.

Mr Clarence, the landlord:
"Hey Stu! Your rent's due mother f*****! Don't be pulling that falling down the stairs sh**, you hear me!? Now you conscious!"
"There's only one bathroom on this floor so you're gonna have to share it. Got a little insect problem but you boys from Africa are used to that."
"Now, this room, it's real fu**ed up, used to rent it to a blind man. Damn shame what they did to that dog."

Reactions: bradleygator
This thread reminded me of that hilarious story of the Longhorns fan that went to the Nebraska football game and then the Arizona B-ball game and got completely wrecked. It's a hilarious read if you haven't already had the pleasure.. Won't post a link since I'm not sure what sites are allowed to be linked from Rivals, but just google "Diary of a Texas fan 1999." It's about a ten minute read, but totally worth it.

As far as alcohol goes- Now that I'm older my tolerance for drunken antics is much lower that it would have been when I was at UF in the early 90s, so I'm conflicted. I get out to about two games every season, and it's much nicer not having to deal with puke all over the bathrooms, and people falling down all over the place, fighting, and just obnoxious in general.

Edit: Found the story on another Rivals-brand site, so will link for the lazy.
A rivals timeless classic! Thanks for the memories!

Reactions: sadgator
Thank God Danny is back. Where the hell have you been? Please take care of some of these UGA numbskulls for us...

They're completely insufferable. It's been hurting my eyes to read their posts.

Also, I've been on a vodka kick and I now remember why I don't like vodka.

Reactions: sadgator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT