ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Wingo...

oozie7

Bull Gator
May 28, 2008
Now rated a 5-star and one of the best linebackers in the country. Glad we got on him early before he blew up. Similar to Hopper who was a 3-star last year when we took his commit and ended up top 150. Solid validation for the coaches here.

If holds it would be UF’s first composite 5-star since 2015 I read.

But wait,,, I thought that Dan & staff can't recruit, especially after August???
:rolleyes: - ;) - o_O -- :D

Ivey and CeCe were 5-stars.
Wannie, VJ, Polite, Perine, Bucanan, and others were 3 stars...
Trask was only a 2 star... :rolleyes:

What Dan and staff think of them means more, and always will, than what any recruiting service rates them at. :cool:

That said, Dan's 1st 2 classes are winning and improving. I expect the 2020 class to continue that Gator Standard, moving forward with Dan at the helm. :)

If holds it would be UF’s first composite 5-star since 2015 I read.
It helps for sure but we are getting quality players that are getting developed. Mullen/Staff are doing a great job. The direction of the UF program is going great and recruits are paying attention. If we can just get Fever on board then we can't be stopped! Lol

Now rated a 5-star and one of the best linebackers in the country. Glad we got on him early before he blew up. Similar to Hopper who was a 3-star last year when we took his commit and ended up top 150. Solid validation for the coaches here.
Wingo is a stud. Christian Robinson is a great guy as well.

Reactions: SwampLander
We have some very good recruiters, but Knox is questionable , and in an area of greatest need...

We have some very good recruiters, but Knox is questionable , and in an area of greatest need...

We definitely need better recruiters in some spots. But reality is we were gonna have to win before getting more attention from high profile players.

The last time we won the SEC the current recruits were 7. They’ve grown up watching us suck. In the 5 years before Mullen we went 4-8, 7-5, 10-4 (and lost our bowl game by 34), 9-4, and 4-7. Throw in the fact our facilities sucked and there was no reason for any 5-star to come to UF when they’re getting recruited by schools playing for and winning championships. That tide is starting to turn even if it’s slower than a lot of people want.

We definitely need better recruiters in some spots. But reality is we were gonna have to win before getting more attention from high profile players.

The last time we won the SEC the current recruits were 7. They’ve grown up watching us suck. In the 5 years before Mullen we went 4-8, 7-5, 10-4 (and lost our bowl game by 34), 9-4, and 4-7. Throw in the fact our facilities sucked and there was no reason for any 5-star to come to UF when they’re getting recruited by schools playing for and winning championships. That tide is starting to turn even if it’s slower than a lot of people want.
That's what's up. People have to be patient. I've been saying it for years...until Mullen came back we've been pretty bad. Can't turn it around over night but #7 last year and top 10 this year is pretty great.

We (entire team and fans) want championships. That's a yearly given... o_O

But I'd go a fairly long time without firing a HC that won 10 games and took us to a NY-6 Bowl game every year.... This is the SEC, not some also-ran league. :cool:
Graduate student-athletes. Train good citizens. And win an occasional championship is my standard for HC'ing success. :)

In the GOAT's 11 years as the ole HBC, he played for 2 NC's and won 1. o_O
He also won 7 SEC-C's, but the league has changed since then.

We (entire team and fans) want championships. That's a yearly given... o_O

But I'd go a fairly long time without firing a HC that won 10 games and took us to a NY-6 Bowl game every year.... This is the SEC, not some also-ran league. :cool:
Graduate student-athletes. Train good citizens. And win an occasional championship is my standard for HC'ing success. :)

In the GOAT's 11 years as the ole HBC, he played for 2 NC's and won 1. o_O
He also won 7 SEC-C's, but the league has changed since then.
Agree, Spurrier dominated and won 6 titles in the SEC and won 1 National Title in 10 years and is one of the GOAT. Mullen is doing a great job. Fans have to chill.

Last edited:
Reactions: sadgator
Mullen has accomplished more than anyone could have reasonably expected in his short time here. sadgator is a fantasy-world dreamer with totally outlandish expectations, and he has pretty much met those...

Most importantly, our program feels like Florida again...he gave us our identity back...considering where we’ve been...it really means everything....

Agree, Spurrier dominated and won 6 titles in the SEC and won 1 National Title in 10 years and is one of the GOAT. Mullen is doing a great job. Fans have to chill.

Steve and I will always give 'on the field' SEC-C (7) credit to the 1990 team, no matter what the SEC or the NCAA says about it... ;) -- :p -- :cool:

That's the sad state of the cell phone generation these days. These 5* players in the top 10/25/40 or whatever all pretty much are staring at the top 4 or 5 teams out there and don't consider any others. Couldn't even tell you every team in said conferences or divisions of those 4 or 5 leaders if you asked them, that's how out of touch they are. All they know is, this program is in the top 5 the past few years, so that makes my decision easy.

Look back at recruiting the past couple years, since CFP came around at any rate. Generally nearly all of the 5* players are gobbled up by the top 5 or so teams. You NEVER saw any team getting more than 2 or 3 of these kinds of players back 10 years ago and before. The wealth was spread around better when the kids were better informed and it wasn't such a damn money grab for the networks and schools. This is basically a self fulfilling prophecy where the public at large is stuck watching the same hated teams play year after year for the CFP. There's no variety and we only have finally gotten a victory this year in kicking Alabama out of the playoff.

5-Star LB's = Cox (xfer) & Wingo

4-Star LB's:
Mohamoud Diabate
Khris Bogle
Ty'Ron Hopper
Lloyd Summerall
Jesiah Pierre
Diwun Black (taking academic JuCo route before UF)
Amari Burney
David Reese

Plus Moon, Miller, Houston, Brunson, and Chatfield are still here.
Looks like more than enough quality & depth to cover LB/BUCK/DE to me.... ;)

Don't I recall someone here bitching about not getting or having any good LB'ers?

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Named player of the year in Florida. And I agree I like our linebacker recruiting because it’s built for the modern game. Burney is 220 and athletic enough to play safety, Hopper came in at 215 and played some safety and corner on his high school team and Wingo is 215 now and ran an electronic 4.5. Much better athletes than what we’ve had the last few years. Loved Reese against the run but he was always a liability in coverage and maybe ran a 4.8.

Grantham’s scheme is generally good for DLineman and LBs. It’s the secondary and our pass defense is the concern his scheme.

Named player of the year in Florida. And I agree I like our linebacker recruiting because it’s built for the modern game. Burney is 220 and athletic enough to play safety, Hopper came in at 215 and played some safety and corner on his high school team and Wingo is 215 now and ran an electronic 4.5. Much better athletes than what we’ve had the last few years. Loved Reese against the run but he was always a liability in coverage and maybe ran a 4.8.

If we can get them up to 235 and keep the speed they will be beasts.

It's good to have speed, but you don't want them pinballing off of big strong RB's, need enough lower body strength to shove them back.

If we can get them up to 235 and keep the speed they will be beasts.

It's good to have speed, but you don't want them pinballing off of big strong RB's, need enough lower body strength to shove them back.

Agree with you. I think they all play at 230 ish eventually.

For their positions: JMOHO

CB-FS - Speed/Power/Size

DE-LB -- Power/Speed/Size

DT - Best combo of Size/Power/Speed

NT-MLB-SS -- Size/Power---Speed

There are of course special players that don't seem to fit their positions mold, but instead make their own mold up as the go and then fill it with their smarts & heart.

Grantham’s scheme is generally good for DLineman and LBs. It’s the secondary and our pass defense is the concern his scheme.

C.J. joins Pitts-Reese-Greenard on the All SEC Lists.

CB C.J. Henderson *** Jr - 9 Gms - 33 Tkls (26 solo), 3 TFL , 11 PBU's, ,1 Sack
A Coaches 1st Team ALL SEC (3x),,, A semi-finalist for the Thorpe Award.
(yet another 3 star early departure to the NFL,,, McShay projected Top 10 pick.)

The Gators defense ranks 2nd Nationally in opponent Red Zone conversion, allowing only 20 scores in 31 red zone trips this season (64.5%), and 10th in Total Defense, allowing under 300 yards per game.

All SEC at all 3 defensive levels, DB-LB-DL,,,, plus a Top 3 TE in the Nation imo.

EDIT ADDITION -- CB Kaiir Elam was named to the All SEC Freshman Team.

Last edited:
Good to see you sir. One of the few Georgia posters who isn't hiding. You still own us for another year, so I tip my hat on that.
I don't hide my lack of love for the Gators... just as you guys feel for the Dawgs, but there's a lot of good guys on here that makes the back and forth fun. I'd buy a lot of you guys a beer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT