ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly Epic Bust!

ericandi

Rowdy Reptile
Dec 8, 2004
Orlando
UCLA hasn’t won a game yet and they are currently ranked 85th in the 247 Recruiting Class Team Rankings with only 8 commitments and ranked behind powerhouse schools Ball State, Old Dominion, Western Kentucky, Central Michigan, Troy, Northern Illinois, Toledo, Western Michigan, Louisiana Ragin Cagins, Texas State, North Texas, Southern Miss, Kent State, Temple, Miami Ohio, at least a dozen other G5 schools, and dozens of bottom tier P5 schools.

Wow did Florida dodge the largest bullet ever! Kelly may not win a game this season and he may quit or get fired after just 1 or 2 seasons at most.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
One issue with Kelly is that is correct he’s not a very good recruiter at all. We will see if he can still get good enough athletes at UCLA to be successful. He doesn’t have Nike money and changing uniforms every game like he did at Oregon. Kids loved that stuff.

You have to not be putting an effort into recruiting to have results like that so far. If that doesn't turn around big time quickly I could see Kelly resigning as coach after just 2 years possibly. He must have a staff that can't recruit also.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
UCLA hasn’t won a game yet and they are currently ranked 85th in the 247 Recruiting Class Team Rankings with only 8 commitments and ranked behind powerhouse schools Ball State, Old Dominion, Western Kentucky, Central Michigan, Troy, Northern Illinois, Toledo, Western Michigan, Louisiana Ragin Cagins, Texas State, North Texas, Southern Miss, Kent State, Temple, Miami Ohio, at least a dozen other G5 schools, and dozens of bottom tier P5 schools.

Wow did Florida dodge the largest bullet ever! Kelly may not win a game this season and he may quit or get fired after just 1 or 2 seasons at most.

Frost is also 0-4. Certain posters here wanted both of them before Mullen.

Kelly was always a bad idea, even if he had come to Florida, he would have been gone the first time he got any decent college OR pro offer west of the Rockies. He likely would have been an even bigger culture mismatch than McElwain was.

Luckily, fans don't make the calls. Mullen is doing great and Florida is lucky to have him.

What is your hang up on this? Probably 95 percent of this board would have taken either before Mullen. Probably that same number would not trade Mullen for either now. So what?

Props to the 5% that were smart before, laughter to the 5% now that still don't get it.

Luckily, fans don't make the calls.

You are aware that the AD wanted Frost or Kelly ahead of Mullen as well?

I think Mullen is doing a great job and am happy with the way it worked out. It just seems like an odd thing to keep going on and on about. Like, you really have a chip on your shoulder toward people who disrespected Dan Mullen.

Reactions: Homosassie Gator

I think Mullen is doing a great job and am happy with the way it worked out. It just seems like an odd thing to keep going on and on about. Like, you really have a chip on your shoulder toward people who disrespected Dan Mullen.

Likewise, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about my posts ever since you saw that I was pro-Trump.

Difference is, I don't care about your hangups, this is about the 3rd time you've gotten upset about mine.

Likewise, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about my posts ever since you saw that I was pro-Trump.

Difference is, I don't care about your hangups, this is about the 3rd time you've gotten upset about mine.

I'm not upset about anything, I'm just curious as to why you feel the need to chime in with this as often as you do. Presumably, it increases your sense of self worth to have been right about the Florida coaching search? Sad!

I'm not upset about anything, I'm just curious as to why you feel the need to chime in with this as often as you do.

"I'm not upset about anything, I just want to know why you can't let this go???"

Haha. And FTR I've been right about far more when it comes to Trump. Here's another gem: This time next year you'll love him as much as I do.

Those of us who have done our homework, know what's coming...

I would still take Frost. He will get Nebraska turned around.

Maybe. I'm less and less convinced of that every game. I'll be curious to see what his ceiling at Nebraska ends up being. I think they'll give him 4 years but I'm not sure he'll hit 10 wins. Nebraska is already tough enough these days with the disadvantages it has and I'm not sure he's mature enough yet for he stage he's been put on.

I would still take Frost. He will get Nebraska turned around.
I wouldn’t take Frost with that coaching staff he has right now. With the resources he would have had at Florida and even Nebraska for that matter he should have put together a better coaching staff with more Power 5 experience when it comes to coaching and recruiting. I like Frost. I don’t like the staff he put together.

Maybe. I'm less and less convinced of that every game. I'll be curious to see what his ceiling at Nebraska ends up being. I think they'll give him 4 years but I'm not sure he'll hit 10 wins. Nebraska is already tough enough these days with the disadvantages it has and I'm not sure he's mature enough yet for he stage he's been put on.

He appears to have a mess on his hands but I think he can after a few years. Like you say he is at a disadvantage with how OSU and Penn State etc. are pulling in the recruits however as far as getting to the very top of the conference. Being in the West helps him some however as far as making the conference championship game.

Yea this is where I’m at. My order of preference was Kelly, Frost, then Mullen...same as the AD. But I never looked at Mullen like a typical third choice. The day he was hired I celebrated and said he would do great things here. They’re all very good X’s and O’s coaches and program builders, and all ran an offense that fit our recruiting base. So either or was good with me. I don’t get the need to put down the other two? Don’t care about either except with a passing interest. Mullen doesn’t need them to fail to look better, he’s already doing great things.

Was listening to the CBS pregame show maybe two weeks back and Neuheisel said it best...even the 2nd and 3rd tier athletes in Florida are better than the options available to a school like Nebraska in today’s environment. There’s not a lot of talent in the Midwest, and the talent that is there gets scooped up by teams like Ohio St., Michigan, and Notre Dame first. Then teams like Wisconsin and Michigan St. and Penn St. get the leftovers. So Nebraska is left competing with teams like Iowa for 3rd and 4th tier recruits that can’t compete with recruits from Florida, Georgia, California, etc.

I get it’s his alma mater but I have no idea how he’s gonna consistently find elite speed skill players to fit that offense up there. His mistake was in going there to begin with. He’ll get them winning 8-9 consistently and more some years but there’s a ceiling on that place for what he wants to do. Would have been better off staying at UCF and waiting for a spot like USC to open up.

Yep basing things off the 1st year is crazy when it comes to wins and losses anyway. Just look at Mac here and Pell when we didn't win a game in 79 and how those 2 situations changed after that. Kelly I say we dodged a bullet now because the guy appears to not have his head in the game like he should looking at things besides wins and losses with a new team.

Some schaedenfreude but if either of them were coaching the Gators do you think we would be 0-5? I don’t and am very happy with Mullen but would suspect Nebraska especially improves a lot the next few seasons.

Was listening to the CBS pregame show maybe two weeks back and Neuheisel said it best...even the 2nd and 3rd tier athletes in Florida are better than the options available to a school like Nebraska in today’s environment.

Then let's see what UCF's recruiting rankings were under Frost:

2017 - 53rd
2016 - 57th

So he's got much more talent now at Nebraska.

90% of the non Power 5 programs have bad facilities, bad talent and bad coaching. So if you are even an average coach, you can go to a non-Power 5 school and start winning immediately.

So hiring winning coaches from non Power 5 schools is always a crapshoot. You might be getting the next Jim Tressel, you might be getting the next Jim McElwain.

This is why I never understood the fascination with Frost among some Florida fans, since he was an unproven non-Power 5 coach, just like the guy Florida had just fired.

Kelly I get, he at least had a track record of winning big in college. But he also has a track record of wanting to work out west, so he was going to bolt at the first opportunity.

Of the three, Mullen was the smart pick. Frost might end up being a great coach, but Florida is too good a program to roll the dice on finding out.

Yea this is where I’m at. My order of preference was Kelly, Frost, then Mullen...same as the AD. But I never looked at Mullen like a typical third choice. The day he was hired I celebrated and said he would do great things here. They’re all very good X’s and O’s coaches and program builders, and all ran an offense that fit our recruiting base. So either or was good with me. I don’t get the need to put down the other two? Don’t care about either except with a passing interest. Mullen doesn’t need them to fail to look better, he’s already doing great things.

Yeah, I would have taken either ahead of Mullen. I thought Kelly was an absolute sure thing to light things up in Gainesville and I was tired of flipping coins on coordinators. And Frost had a little Urban Meyer vibe as the possible next big thing from outside the Power 5.

I was happy with Mullen though. I actually wanted Mullen instead of Mac. We were lucky to get him. Pretty good when your third choice has seven years experience, turning an also ran into a competitive SEC program.

As it stands now, no way I would trade Mullen for Kelly or Frost. Problem with Kelly is that you just never know if he's going to say F this and head back to New Hampshire or wherever. And Frost very well could be just another in a long line of hot coaching hires that don't make it.

2017 - 53rd
2016 - 57th

90% of the non Power 5 programs have bad facilities, bad talent and bad coaching. So if you are even an average coach, you can go to a non-Power 5 school and start winning immediately.

So hiring winning coaches from non Power 5 schools is always a crapshoot. You might be getting the next Jim Tressel, you might be getting the next Jim McElwain.

This is why I never understood the fascination with Frost among some Florida fans, since he was an unproven non-Power 5 coach, just like the guy Florida had just fired.

Kelly I get, he at least had a track record of winning big in college. But he also has a track record of wanting to work out west, so he was going to bolt at the first opportunity.

Of the three, Mullen was the smart pick. Frost might end up being a great coach, but Florida is too good a program to roll the dice on finding out.

Your assumption is recruiting rankings= talent which is the first mistake. UCF would beat Nebraska by 30 right now even though per you Nebraska has more talent. How could that be? Nebraska has no one QB remotely in the same stratosphere as Milton and not a single one of their skill guys would play at UCF. Same goes for the opposite side of the ball where for all the talk about UCF’s bad defense their defense was actually better than Nebraska’s last year and produced a 1st rounder. Nebraska had no such players, yet they’re more talented.

And to Bradley’s point, I don’t get your hang up with who Florida fans wanted, who cares? Our AD chased Kelly and Frost first too despite having a long-standing relationship with Mullen, so it wasn’t just a fan thing. They’re all good coaches, we’ll see who produces the best long-term. Florida hasn’t more advantages and should be better than both UCLA and Nebraska. Again we don’t need to shit on Kelly and Frost to prop up Mullen, his resume can stand on its own. He’s very good and we’re lucky to have him.

2017 - 53rd
2016 - 57th

Yes you need to have more talent to win in a big conference over years as TCU and Utah etc. have learned after joining Power 5 conferences. Not so easy to get those 1 loss and undefeated seasons with the physical games you have most weeks.

I still see Frost getting Nebraska on the right path and making the conference championship game

Your assumption is recruiting rankings= talent which is the first mistake. UCF would beat Nebraska by 30 right now even though per you Nebraska has more talent. How could that be?.

In this case it would be because Nebraska's players don't have much faith in Scott Frost and they are about 2 more bad losses away from quitting completely on him.

In this case it would be because Nebraska's players don't have much faith in Scott Frost and they are about 2 more bad losses away from quitting completely on him.

A few of the more senior guys may have attitude issues because of the new coach. This 1st year on the field doesn't mean much as far as how Frost will do there after a couple of years. By year 3 it will probably be almost all of his recruits that are playing mostly. Mac was probably the worst coach we have had here since before Spurrier looking at everything and he managed to go 10-2 in the regular season his 1st year.

Too much is being made of the win/loss record of Kelly. That situation (and the situation at Neb) is totally different than what exists at Florida.

Kelly is a good coach, but he was absolutely not the right fit for Florida....
Please explain how u could consider him a good coach with embarrassing losses to Cincinnati and Fresno State?? None of his losses were even close this year.. A good coach at least has his team in the ballgame.. He's nothing more than an egotistical maniac who can't coach and we dodged a HUGE bullet!!!

A few of the more senior guys may have attitude issues because of the new coach. This 1st year on the field doesn't mean much as far as how Frost will do there after a couple of years. By year 3 it will probably be almost all of his recruits that are playing mostly. Mac was probably the worst coach we have had here since before Spurrier looking at everything and he managed to go 10-2 in the regular season his 1st year.

Entirely possible. I've said all along that Frost may end up being a stud at Nebraska.

I'm just being honest about how bad he's in over his head there right now. He sucks. Out loud. Maybe that changes at some point, maybe it gets worse. I do think some of the excuses being made for him are amusing. When you're 0-4, you just gotta own that at some point.

Oozie...you and I agree on Frost except for the coaching staff thing....and I'll be honest, that concerned me.

I've talked about that before.

But look at their schedule. They have 1-2 winnable games left....unless they just catch fire and start upsetting people.

I know he didn't walk into a good roster, but in a generally weak division, he's getting blown out right now.

Blown out.

I don't think he was ready for this. What kind of foolish person, 4 games into the season, says "we're at rock bottom."

Dude....they got blown out the NEXT week. And hey sbabe lol have all kinds of difficult games coming up.

He doesn't know what rock bottom is yet.

I personally think he's not ready....and I think he knew he wasn't ready, which is why they had to go full court press on him and tug at the Husker heart strings to get him there.

You may disagree, but a guy like him who decides to insist that his entire coaching staff from a tier 2 school join him at what is a "blue blood" football program is pretty bad. WAAAAY too much loyalty, and also, I wonder if he fears that he needs them too much ....I wonder how much he considers his success due to them.

A lot of red flags in my mind on the guy.

I don't think Kelly gives a shit about anything anymore unless it personally makes him happy.

I wouldn't be shocked if he quit this year.

No joke.

Are you still butthurt that I mocked you for posting under the wrong name? Maybe you should be mad at yourself for being so careless.
You done been busted again ericandi...I mean BigGator24...I mean obvious lee...I mean malone!!! LMAO!!!! How many more do you have??

Starting new threads with the same drivel under different user names after other posters asked you to stop with the drivel isn't very bright. Then again no one has accused of that, right.

Last edited:
You done been busted again ericandi...I mean BigGator24...I mean obvious lee...I mean malone!!! LMAO!!!! How many more do you have??

Starting new threads with the same drivel under different user names after other posters asked you to stop with the drivel isn't very bright. Then again no one has accused of that, right.

I knew all it would take was a couple of well-timed Likes and you would get careless. Again.

Your emotional need for get-back betrayed you once again. So easy :cool:

I knew all it would take was a couple of well-timed Likes and you would get careless. Again.

Your emotional need for get-back betrayed you once again. So easy :cool:
Well timed likes? LOL! More like key words and phrases that only you use...misspelled words and all!!! GD son back to the dugout!!! Is your next thread going to be about Taggart? Les Miles? Livin' rent free in yo head!!

Well timed likes? LOL! More like key words and phrases that only you use...misspelled words and all!!! GD son back to the dugout!!! Is your next thread going to be about Taggart? Les Miles? Livin' rent free in yo head!!

Hopefully Florida wins tomorrow, and if so my next thread will be celebrating ANOTHER big win for Mullen's Florida team.

You always avoid those threads, for some reason. :cool:

Oozie...you and I agree on Frost except for the coaching staff thing....and I'll be honest, that concerned me.

I've talked about that before.

But look at their schedule. They have 1-2 winnable games left....unless they just catch fire and start upsetting people.

I know he didn't walk into a good roster, but in a generally weak division, he's getting blown out right now.

Blown out.

I don't think he was ready for this. What kind of foolish person, 4 games into the season, says "we're at rock bottom."

Dude....they got blown out the NEXT week. And hey sbabe lol have all kinds of difficult games coming up.

He doesn't know what rock bottom is yet.

I personally think he's not ready....and I think he knew he wasn't ready, which is why they had to go full court press on him and tug at the Husker heart strings to get him there.

You may disagree, but a guy like him who decides to insist that his entire coaching staff from a tier 2 school join him at what is a "blue blood" football program is pretty bad. WAAAAY too much loyalty, and also, I wonder if he fears that he needs them too much ....I wonder how much he considers his success due to them.

A lot of red flags in my mind on the guy.

I don't think Kelly gives a shit about anything anymore unless it personally makes him happy.

I wouldn't be shocked if he quit this year.

No joke.

His staff may prove to not be good long-term but I don’t think him wanting to bring them all is a huge red flag. It would be if they had been mediocre, but he just had wild success with that staff doing stuff that’s never been done before, they work well together clearly, and he trusts them. Why not bring them? Just because they’re not well known doesn’t mean they aren’t good. We should know that more than anybody...a big name isn’t always the right fit or the best choice. Look at Weis. Or Nuss, he was a championship coordinator making 1 million a year at Michigan...stud hire according to all the talking heads. Those guys had the name and sucked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT