ADVERTISEMENT

Carry over to Gator 2023-24 Basketball :-)

Georgia just didn't use it as much as LSU did. Speaking of LSU, they beat the Cocks in their own house
Yep. But as has been said, better to learn how to deal with the zone before tournament time. :playing zone against bigs bigger than you never works out well for any team, ever. It's a matter of recognizing what they are doing and exploiting it.

I've been saying for a while now that Haugh should be getting some of Kugel's playing minutes, at least until and unless Riley manages to return to his freshman level of play.... Riley's 50/50 effort and performance is just not good enough to earn more minutes at this point.

Of course and as always, JMOHO's....

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Haugh is not exactly the ball handler that Kugel is. Kugel still has his moments but I do see the reduction in his bone head plays.

I've been saying for a while now that Haugh should be getting some of Kugel's playing minutes, at least until and unless Riley manages to return to his freshman level of play.... Riley's 50/50 effort and performance is just not good enough to earn more minutes at this point.

Of course and as always, JMOHO's....
You can usually tell at the start of the game if Riley is on or taking the night off. If he is on, play him a ton, if he is off then Aberdeen and Haugh more time. I still would like to see Aberdeen getting more time.

Horrible loss for Women's BB at KY. This team has more individual talent than last year's, but don't play tiogether very well and they've lost several games in the 4th quater where they miss free throws and play too much on on one ball. Disappointing.

I see the gators climbed another seed line in Lunardi’s bracketology. A seven seed now. Big test tomorrow on the road in Tuscaloosa.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I see the gators climbed another seed line in Lunardi’s bracketology. A seven seed now. Big test tomorrow on the road in Tuscaloosa.
Yep - We have 6 games left and we'll be favored in 3, underdogs in 3, I think. 2 vs.Bama and 1 vs. South Carolina they'll be favored: 2 vs. Vanderbilt and 1 vs. Missouri we'll be favored. If we can finish 4-2 or even 5-1, our seed could go even high.

Haugh is not exactly the ball handler that Kugel is. Kugel still has his moments but I do see the reduction in his bone head plays.
I wouldn't expect Haugh to handle the ball like Kugel, but with that being said, Kugel's handle has been really loose this year.

I wouldn't expect Haugh to handle the ball like Kugel, but with that being said, Kugel's handle has been really loose this year.
I’m handing it to coach Golden as far as Haugh. What a hustler. If he continues to improve he has a high ceiling. Undoubtedly coach knows potential when he sees it.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Nobody expects the Gators to beat Alabama on their home court. But if our guys play together and up to their potential, they can be anybody anywhere. Limit turnovers, play tenacious defense and guard the 3-point arc, no stupid fouls, crash the boards and make free throws. Twist our nipples and say "You can do it!"

Nobody expects the Gators to beat Alabama on their home court. But if our guys play together and up to their potential, they can be anybody anywhere. Limit turnovers, play tenacious defense and guard the 3-point arc, no stupid fouls, crash the boards and make free throws. Twist our nipples and say "You can do it!"
Bama can light up the scoreboard but they are a little soft inside. Our bigs have a chance to do some real damage inside if they play well.

Came up short but...

1bf2e4c3-00e0-4a23-9f0e-baabf7da4e7e_text.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: NavigatorII
Tough way to lose. Up 10 and blew it. Samuel is lazy as hell on defense. He barely makes it down the court. Hurt him being lazy on that rebound and not securing it. Refs missed the push in the back on bama offensive rebound.

Tough way to lose. Up 10 and blew it. Samuel is lazy as hell on defense. He barely makes it down the court. Hurt him being lazy on that rebound and not securing it. Refs missed the push in the back on bama offensive rebound.
Samuel certainly gets his shot blocked a LOT.

• Sad
Reactions: gatordad3
Should have kept their foot on the gas with a 10 point lead. I honestly thought they would run us off the floor but UF showed they are every bit as good as Bama.

Reactions: NavigatorII
I missed tonight's game, completely forgot about it. Looks like I missed a barn burner. Winning on the road in the SEC is tough as nails. I think for the first time in years the top half of the SEC is elite once again in college basketball. There will be quite a crop of NCAA selections for the Dance if the selections are fair.

Bama just made a bunch of big plays particularly on offense. When we were up 10 that goofy kid hit two threes in a row. Then their PG just took the game over.

Pretty impressive performance by the Gators. Tough one to lose.

Bama just made a bunch of big plays particularly on offense. When we were up 10 that goofy kid hit two threes in a row. Then their PG just took the game over.

Pretty impressive performance by the Gators. Tough one to lose.
I can’t wait to get them in Gainesville.

Was Kugel hurt or did Golden decide he was going to be lazy tonight early on? I think he only played like 4 minutes.

I think he must have been banged up. He was up the whole game cheering and high fiving from the bench. It didn’t look like he was sulking or anything. It’s happened a couple times this year where he’s barely played but nothing announced. You would think someone would ask golden in the presser.

I think he must have been banged up. He was up the whole game cheering and high fiving from the bench. It didn’t look like he was sulking or anything. It’s happened a couple times this year where he’s barely played but nothing announced. You would think someone would ask golden in the presser.
True. He was definitely not pouting on the bench. Looked into the game.

Did anyone else catch the forearm to the head of Condon? How in the hell was that not a flagrant 2 ejection? Best part is the called the foul on AC...SEC has to step in and hand down some type of suspension. We know Oates most likely won't do it based on the Miller incident last season.

Home court advantage with the SEC Refs is total BS IMOHO.

That's nothing more than an excuse for bad/biased officiating and it should have no place in a true competition. Having a 'home crowd advantage' is one thing and that's perfectly acceptable, but when the game officials get involved then it ends a game and turns it into nothing more than entertainment and an exhibition....

It's just like when a baseball umpire is using two different strike zones for the teams in a game....
When they turn college sports into nothing more than 'professional wrassling'
it kills my interest in watching it.

And anyone that couldn't see the difference in how things were being called is blind to reality imo.

I didn’t think the refs cost us the game. The worst call was the foul on Richards when he poked the ball away from their PG. it was clean but it looked awkward. The refs reversed that goaltending call on handlogten, which was probably correct but very very close. They shot 2 more free throws than we did.

We lost the game on the boards. They out rebounded us by 10, including the bucket that put the game away.

I guess you missed them dropping a shoulder or throwing a forearm on drives and not getting called for fouls, while they did call fouls on Gator hard drives. Or when a Gator was double or triple teamed and getting mugged, no foul calls, but not the same when it was the other way around.

Team 1 commits 10 fouls and is called on 10.
Team 2 commits 20 fouls and are called on 10.
Since there were 10 fouls called on both teams,,,
then it must have been called fairly... 🙄

We've let so many teams off the hook this year when we had significant leads midway through the 2nd half and just couldn't put them away, then let them get back into the game. Down the stretch we get away from the things that built us the lead - dribbling around way too much, not having multiple passes per possession, one-on-one play to try to be the hero. Last night they whipped us in the paint, both scoring in the paint and in rebounding, which I don't think has happened all year. We had 2 shots in the last 30 seconds or so that could have won the game in regulation and just missed them - both wide open. The refs no doubt missed the flagrant foul on Condon, which should have been an ejection, 2 technical free throws, plus the ball. But overall I thought the game was very physical, up and down the court, and called pretty well. When we had a 10 point lead, they went on a tear of hitting some huge 3's, I think 4 of 5, which we had guarded against very well up to that point. That got them back in the game. Tough loss, but I can't and won't blame it on the refs. Others may choose to do so and that's fine.

We've let so many teams off the hook this year when we had significant leads midway through the 2nd half and just couldn't put them away, then let them get back into the game. Down the stretch we get away from the things that built us the lead - dribbling around way too much, not having multiple passes per possession, one-on-one play to try to be the hero. Last night they whipped us in the paint, both scoring in the paint and in rebounding, which I don't think has happened all year. We had 2 shots in the last 30 seconds or so that could have won the game in regulation and just missed them - both wide open. The refs no doubt missed the flagrant foul on Condon, which should have been an ejection, 2 technical free throws, plus the ball. But overall I thought the game was very physical, up and down the court, and called pretty well. When we had a 10 point lead, they went on a tear of hitting some huge 3's, I think 4 of 5, which we had guarded against very well up to that point. That got them back in the game. Tough loss, but I can't and won't blame it on the refs. Others may choose to do so and that's fine.
I agree. I think overall the officiating was pretty even. My biggest complaint is the missed push in the back in overtime that allowed the bama guy to grab the offensive rebound when we were down 1. But that single play or the Condon play not why we lost. Up 10 at the 8 min mark and up 9 at the 6 min mark...got to close those out. Need 2 more wins in these last 5 to be a tourney lock.

The Gators are still not picking up the ball handler and putting pressure on him as he crosses mid-court. This allows them to set up their 1/2 court offense and run it. The games they have lost, the other team was putting constant very tight pressure (fouls) on the Gator guards.

Do unto others, as they are doing to you,
(and getting away with it)......

Did anyone else catch the forearm to the head of Condon? How in the hell was that not a flagrant 2 ejection? Best part is the called the foul on AC...SEC has to step in and hand down some type of suspension. We know Oates most likely won't do it based on the Miller incident last season.

It appears Nate Oats is the POS lowlife who teaches these tactics. The thug who gave Condon a cheap shot was given just a one game suspension vs Kentucky.

The way Oates handled the Miller situation last year, then with some of the things that have happened this year, I'm starting to think he's a walking turd.

Reactions: gatordad3
The way Oates handled the Miller situation last year, then with some of the things that have happened this year, I'm starting to think he's a walking turd.
He’s a total weasel. His press conference rationalizations were the most embarrassing part of the whole Miller ordeal for Bama. Even Saban shaded him for the whole “wrong place wrong time” comment or whatever it was. He’s a good coach though.

Reactions: Countygator1
Kugel wasn’t hurt in the Bama game, golden said. Kugel is just a total space cadet apparently.
I read on another thread that he was sick. He was on the bench and involved in the game cheering on his teammates. Judge not that ye be not judged, my friend.

Well then, what happened to Shimmy?
He was supposed to be back in mid Dec?
PF Aleks Szymczyk 6-10 250 Fr.

Golden said Kugel wasn’t hurt. Said he wasn’t “locked in.” I’m not judging anyone, but if you’re ok getting benched in a game like that while your team loses in OT, you’re a space cadet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT