ADVERTISEMENT

Carry over to Gator 2023-24 Basketball :-)

"I think sometimes when I missed a shot, I think too much about it," Jones said on Sept. 27, reflecting on his scoring lulls. "But, then again, I wasn't taking every shot [with the] same repetition the whole time. Just trying to rush it. I do think a little bit mental it was. I'd miss like two or three and I wouldn't shoot again later."

B-Ball OC Kevin Hovde -- Golden is the HC/DC

While Todd Golden-coached teams have grown synonymous with a fast-paced, explosive offense, ranking top 40 in scoring at San Francisco in 2021-22, the head man isn't the one controlling that end of the court for the Gators. He still has a say in the operation, namely the tempo, but Golden is deferring the responsibility to assistant coach Kevin Hovde to handle the unit in its entirety.

Their days under current Washington State head coach Kyle Smith at Columbia from 2012-2014 shaped the new face at the helm for UF to assume a defensive focus in his coaching career. Hovde, meanwhile, who played in the Princeton system he now solely commands, occupied a potent role in implementing and sculpting the offensive attack under Smith.

An interesting division of labor/responsibilities that is, but if it works for them, then great and GooooooGATORS!

Reactions: Thomas B
What gives me hope for this years B-Ball team is this:

C Castleton / Jitoboh
PF Fudge / Felder -- SF Lane
The Golden boys defense should be a big step up, IF they can all stay healthy.

The Hovde offense, shooters and ball handlers, is Lay-O-Ded!!!

Injuries were a huge part of MW's troubles imo. Some really rotten luck there.

If you listed all that were injured out for parts of a season, or for most of a season, and a few for an entire season. it would be a very long list, especially among the big guys.

Now the fans, announcers and the press won't have anything to say about Kowacie Reeves hair since he cut it. This sucks!

Gators go to 2-0 Friday night with a tough 88-78 win over a Kennesaw State team that had all 5 starts back and will be a top team in the Atlantic Sun this year. Colin Castleton had a career night, scoring 33 points with 9 rebounds, but the Gators were hampered with point guard Kyle Lofton only playing 24 minutes due to foul trouble, fouling out with about 12 minutes left in the game. Will Richard had 15 points and Kowacie Reeves had 11 in pacing UF. Florida shot 55% from the field, 73% from the free throw line and had 11 assists to 11 turnovers and 10 blocked shots. Next up is a tough Florida Atlatic team Monday night at 7 pm on the SEC Network.

Gators go to 2-0 Friday night with a tough 88-78 win over a Kennesaw State team that had all 5 starts back and will be a top team in the Atlantic Sun this year. Colin Castleton had a career night, scoring 33 points with 9 rebounds, but the Gators were hampered with point guard Kyle Lofton only playing 24 minutes due to foul trouble, fouling out with about 12 minutes left in the game. Will Richard had 15 points and Kowacie Reeves had 11 in pacing UF. Florida shot 55% from the field, 73% from the free throw line and had 11 assists to 11 turnovers and 10 blocked shots. Next up is a tough Florida Atlatic team Monday night at 7 pm on the SEC Network.
Thought we played well offensively tonight and we have a good offensive system. Defense was certainly lacking tonight and Kennesaw did hit some tough shots at times when I thought we did defend well.
Not having a reliable backup PG could be a little tricky as we get deeper into the season.

KSU knocked down some crazy shots tonight. We opened it up late in the game. Took care of business against a team that has a ton of experience.

FAU knocked down 8 threes in the first half. Damn! We are lucky to be tied. Missed several from point blank range, but their speed is killing us.

Struggled defensively in the 1st half but now leading by 9 early in the 2nd half. 4 blocks by Castleton so far.

Team has no shooters again, probably lose as many as they win, new guys are nothing special

FAU on a 19-4 run. Ouch. FAU with lots of uncontested looks from 3 and they are knocking them down. We will need some type of drastic change in the last 7 minutes to get back into it.

Not only is FAU quicker, they are way more physical. I guess this is to be expected against an experienced team. Don't want to make too much out of one game early in the season, but yikes.

Castleton is a stud, although he misses too many shots at the rim. He's the heart of the team and a great leader. FAU outhustled us and we couldn't defend the 3, plus had long scoring droughts in each half. FAU lost to Ole Miss by 13, so they're not THAT good. Better than us tonight. Our new coach doesn't like to call time outs when the other team goes on a run and it snowballed on us twice tonight. The guys seem to still be figuring out their roles on the team and learning to play together.

Reactions: gatordad3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT