ADVERTISEMENT

Football An Attempt To Be Rational

TheShining

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2021
This isn't a keep Napier thread. At all. But given the situation we are getting the best possible outcome right now. Our coach is on a "put up or shut up" week to week audition, our team is playing hard and improving, our young talent is getting a ton of playing time, and we keep the program together while every other coach is auditioning for us. Not only will UF be a highly sought after job because it's UF and a top 10 job, But because we have a potential heisman winner and 1st round pick in place for at least the next two years. Make no mistake, every coach in America wants to coach DJ Lagaway.

Finally - not only a win, but a fun win. It was really great to see some smiles on our sideline last night. Coaches and players and staff. Good for them. Regardless on what happens down the road. I believe we have people in place who love the university, love the team, and are working their butts off. They deserve to have a little sunshine on their asses too. So I'm going to give them credit. You get the blame when we play poorly and you get the credit when we show improvement and play well.

After what can only be considered a disastrous start to the season the team appears to be finding itself a bit. Yes the past three wins have come against MSU, UCF and UK but we kicked the crap out of UT on the road. Something Bama was not able to do. Not even for small stretches. The team could have folded after A&M, they could have finger pointed, guys could have quit, guys could have decided to sit out or even announce their intentions to transfer, but that hasn't really happened. Give Billy A TON of credit for this and the leaders on the team too.

Our offensive capabilities are clearly different with DJ under center. He's incredibly accurate on deep throws. You can't teach it, he just has it. And that changes how defenses have to play us and creates opportunities in the run game. The threat of the QB run, and zone read also forces teams to account of for the QB and that's meaningful as well. I'm giving Billy a ton of credit for the way he's handles the QB situation and brought DJ along. I would expect UGA to be super aggressive and dare us to beat them over the top. We'll have to hit on those early in the game in two weeks again, but if we can, watch out.

The defensive progrèss has been pretty remarkable as well. We'll know a lot more after UGA but we are playing the run a lot better from all three levels, and our tackling is much improved. Playing aggressive is a much better style for us. Let's hope Marshall isn't out for UGA, and maybe it's just a minor shoulder separation. If he's out, we need to get the rest of the secondary healthy in a hurry.

Portal guys - BCD, Badger, Dike, Pup, Bridges, C Jackson, Gumbs, J Jackson, all playing extremely well right now. Great additions. The catches Badger made yesterday were not easy - great balls but also great catches. BCD continues to be solid and seems to have gotten his feet under now in the SEC. Dike does everything. Bridges has changed our secondary play. A lot of good pickups.

My opinion on Napier staying hasn't changed. But I like the way the team is playing right now. I'm excited to see DJ. I'm excited to see if we can continue to play well.

Go Gators.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.