ADVERTISEMENT

ALLEY EXTRA: What I'm hearing...

michael l

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Sorry if I've been really gone for a long time guys but between all these diaries and preparing for this big game with Byrnes vs. STA I haven't had a lot of free time. However, here are a few items I've heard according to my sources.

Based on the vibes I've been getting the Florida Gators are have started to emerge in good shape with two five star prospects in Ronald Powell and Treasure Coast LB Jeff Luc. Based on what I've heard if I was putting together a Gator projection class both would be in there. Florida still is in very good shape with Pahokee WR Chris Dunkley. Dunkley speaks with the staff on a regular basis. Florida is also edging their way up the list for St. Thomas Aquinas DB Lamarcus Joyner but I would still give the Seminoles a slight edge. However, if their struggles continue on the field that could change.

Nothing really has changed with Quinton Dunbar and Lynden Trail. If the Gators want these two in my opinion they will probably land them. Now in regards to Tampa Catholic athlete Christian Green the Gators have slipped a tad but despite people calling him a lock for Tallahassee I don't see that as the case, at least not yet. The Green family feels very comfortable with the Florida staff but I get the impression that Christian still hasn't warmed up completely to them. The next visit for Green will go a long way in how strong of a factor Florida is for Christian.

Jonathan Dowling is absolutely tearing it up out there guys. My staff saw him the other night and keep in mind we've been doing this for over 15 years and one of the staff members stated in their evaluation that it's like a man among boys watching Dowling in action. He plays defensive back but to be honest it wouldn't totally shock me if he played receiver at Florida once he arrives there.

Matt Elam is a freak, no shocker there. Whoever came up with this notion that he was overrated needs their head examined for an evaluation. I haven't seen a kid this size that hits like Elam since Ernie Sims out of high school. Both Dowling and Elam will be moving up in the next FV Top 100 which will take place in probably two weeks.

Leon Orr is also doing well but just needs to work on his technique. He has freakish athletic ability but at the same time has to work on getting under his defender better with his blocks.

As far as the most dominant player all around that distinction belongs to Dwyer junior DE Curt Maggit. This kid explodes off the ball faster than any DE in the 2010 class much less the 2011 class. Out of any defensive end our staff has seen for this year, next season, or the year after Maggit has the most upside. Gators look to be in strong position here as well.

That's all I have for now guys. Hope everyone has a great week and we will have complete coverage of STA/Byrnes, along with Northwestern vs. BTW on Saturday for those interested.

Michael

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.