ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Gator baseball

Pitching was very good. Plenty good enough to win this game. But the bats just didn't come through. 1-11 with RISP, 16 K's, 10 LOB. Wilson, Shelton & Donay just looked overmatched. Maybe they can beat NC State and stay alive Monday afternoon.

Pitching was very good. Plenty good enough to win this game. But the bats just didn't come through. 1-11 with RISP, 16 K's, 10 LOB. Wilson, Shelton & Donay just looked overmatched. Maybe they can beat NC State and stay alive Monday afternoon.
Be careful if any of y’all are in the stands against NCSU.
Consensus is that their fans are WAY worse than Miami’s, which is saying something.

AM pitchers were really working those sliders. A couple of mental mistakes cost us 1 run, but ultimately hats off to the AM staff. Cortez might be the best pitcher at Omaha. No shame for the Gators, just being there is a miracle and shows the strength of the program.

The runs the gators scored off Cortez were like the first runs he’d given up in five appearances.

Today’s game off to a pretty crazy start. Just one inning for cags after 33 pitches in the first inning. Velocity way down again. Maybe dealing with a tired arm.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Gators beat NC State 5-4. They can finish no worse than a tie for 5th. They play the loser of tonight's Kentucky/Texas A&M game in another elimination game on Wednesday. Cags only pitched 1 inning. He gave up 1 run, but his velocity was down and Coach O'Sullivan told the dugout reporter that he had a tired arm. But he hit a 3-run HR in the 2nd inning. Tyler Shelnut got the solo HR that gave us our 5th run and Brandon Neely threw the last 3 innings for the save. Gators only got 4 hits on the game to NC State's 6, plus we struck out 13 times. But a win is a win and at least we didn't go 2 & out. What a run by this team in the post season.

The runs the gators scored off Cortez were like the first runs he’d given up in five appearances.

Today’s game off to a pretty crazy start. Just one inning for cags after 33 pitches in the first inning. Velocity way down again. Maybe dealing with a tired arm.
john-travolta-saturday-night-fever.gif

What a Tremendous win by this team. Neely and Cags are truly Gator greats. And everyone else is doing their part. It is almost a mark of honor that we get 4 hits and strikeout 13 times and somehow win fairly routinely (as routine as it gets in the CWS). That is how we’ve done it all year. Bunch of good defensive plays today. Shelton and Donay in particular have really upped their defensive games.

Just love this team and hope they keep winning for themselves. I’m a happy fan no matter what happens.

So far the Gators have eliminated the the B10 Tournament Champs (Nebraska), the B12 Tournament Champs & National Seed (Okie State) and two National Seeds from the ACC (Clemson & NC State).
It's really not shocking to me. Half the CWS is comprised of UF's regular competition this season. There are a few SEC teams that didn't quite make it that are as good as the other teams in this series. It's a matter of playing your best baseball down the stretch. We lost that A&M game by the length of a foot more on a fly ball at the wall.

Shane Mathews program today - he suggested the thought Cags' arm was either injured or "was shot". He couldn't hardly get to 90 the other day and normally pitches upper 90's.

Might be the last time we see Cags pitch already.

Reactions: gatordad3
I think we definitely get more Neely for the UK game, but we would have had him for a couple innings anyway today. Now maybe we get 4 innings of him tomorrow, but game 2 would be an adventure if we get there. Tough deal to have to win three games in 24 hours against the best teams in the country, but I guess that's life in the loser's bracket. Seems like these guys kind of like having their backs against the wall.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
I think we definitely get more Neely for the UK game, but we would have had him for a couple innings anyway today. Now maybe we get 4 innings of him tomorrow, but game 2 would be an adventure if we get there. Tough deal to have to win three games in 24 hours against the best teams in the country, but I guess that's life in the loser's bracket. Seems like these guys kind of like having their backs against the wall.
The postponement helps us for the first game tomorrow, but hurts us for the potential 2nd game. Oh well, outside of Neely we pitch by committee anyway so maybe it doesn't matter

• Sad
Reactions: gatordad3
Shane Mathews program today - he suggested the thought Cags' arm was either injured or "was shot". He couldn't hardly get to 90 the other day and normally pitches upper 90's.

Might be the last time we see Cags pitch already.
O'Sullivan told the dugout reporter during the NC State game that Jac had a tired arm. I doubt we see him pitch again for the Gators. I think his future in MLB is at 1st base anyway. The Texas A&M coach said Cags was the best defensive first baseman he's ever seen.

O'Sullivan told the dugout reporter during the NC State game that Jac had a tired arm. I doubt we see him pitch again for the Gators. I think his future in MLB is at 1st base anyway. The Texas A&M coach said Cags was the best defensive first baseman he's ever seen.
Yep, I agree. His bat is too valuable.

This game couldn't have worked out any better for Florida. Coppola goes 5 innings and gets his first win as a Gator.
I would have given good odds we wouldn’t win the early game without having to use Neely.

We are locked and loaded for tonight beyond what we would have any right to expect. I wonder if we pitch Peterson to start?

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT