ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Baseball & Softball Thread

17 strikeouts by their starter will not work. We just have to do better.

I feel really really good about Waldrep tomorrow and we’ll just go from there.

Their pitchers were way more efficient than ours and their batters were way more disciplined at the plate than ours. Our hitting has just been horrible of late, but give them credit for keeping the pressure on us until we finally broke. Just have to regroup and come back tomorrow. LSU hasn't won it yet. Florida has won 2 straight many times this year.
Ocala,

Agree

I listened to the game on TuneIn Radio.

LSU's batters keep extending their at bats by fouling off pitches. In 4 innings, they pushed Sproat's pitch count up to 115.

Cags not disciplined at the plate; not a professional hitter.

On Cags last at bat (strikeout) the announcer said that Cags, on his last strike, swung so hard that he just about came out of his shoes - not a compliment.

That was the 10th Inning - score tied - runner in scoring position; all we needed was a base hit ! But Cags wanted the Walk Off HR & ended up with a SO.

Tonight's game - Cags - 5 AB, 1 Hit, 1 RBI, 2 SO

Have to give Floyd credit he pitched a HELL of a game -
in 8 full innings - 17 Ks, 1 Walk, 5 Hits, 1 HR, 3 ER.

His 17 Ks (2 by Cags) set a MCWS record for a 9 inning game.

https://www.espn.com/college-baseball/boxscore/_/gameId/401553551

If you have to raise your arms above your head to hit the baseball I’m positive it is not a strike. Ridiculous swings tonight.

Swinging for the fences. Just put the ball in play.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
If you have to raise your arms above your head to hit the baseball I’m positive it is not a strike. Ridiculous swings tonight.

Swinging for the fences. Just put the ball in play.
Steven,

Agree
Going for the ego satisfaction of a HR (especially Cags) instead of making contact Cost us the game.

10th Inning - Langford & Cags both showed lack of discipline at the plate; a sac fly by Langford would have won the game; any sort of hit by Cags would have done the same.

Fouling off pitches & making Floyd work harder would have helped.
Instead, Floyd, in 8 innings, gets 17 Ks - a CWS record for 9 innings.

QUOTE FROM SULLY -

"...Offensively, we struck out 20 times tonight.
They only walked two.
I just think our swings were a little bit big tonight.

Tonight, offensively I think we kind of got caught up in it a little bit and that kind of resulted in the strikeouts.

There were some swings with two strikes that were maybe a little bit too big, swings that we hadn't taken in the past or in a while."

No Kidding !

Sully NOT stupid - he saw what everybody else saw - Cags & others playing for ego aggrandizement; not to win the game as a team.

In a park that big - pretty stupid.

Crews - likely #1 pick in upcoming MLB draft - stat line -
3 AB, 1 run scored, 2 BB, 1 SO -
He was content to do whatever was needed to win the game.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...-series-gators-game-score-kevin-os-212050017/

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Another person with a brain - Benjamin Henderson

Plate discipline must be better for Gators​

Florida Baseball: Sometimes you need to walk rather than run​

LSU had eight walks to two for Florida and 11 hits to the Gators’ six.

Brandon Sproat only lasted four innings after throwing 111 pitches. His stuff wasn’t bad or that poorly located,
but
LSU did a phenomenal job of either fouling pitches off or laying off pitches that Sproat had gotten a swing-and-miss on all season.

Had this been against Missouri, Sproat goes eight innings of shutout baseball.

The contrast was evident as Ty Floyd struck out 17 Gator hitters in eight innings of work.
And while Florida was able to scratch across three runs over those eight innings and was five outs away from winning the game,
too frequently the Gators lacked zone discipline, especially considering the strike zone was incredibly tight from the home plate umpire (until it magically wasn’t in the bottom of the 11th).

Specifically, Florida hitters went chasing fastballs above the zone and never caught up.

Confirms what Steven Orr said -

"If you have to raise your arms above your head to hit the baseball I’m positive it is not a strike.
Ridiculous swings tonight."

https://hailfloridahail.com/2023/06/25/florida-baseball-plate-discipline-must-better-gators-emerge/

Last edited:
Man, our starters really have not done well this series, regarding control. It's such a shame that we came in this series having a pitching advantage and now are burning our relievers like this.

Ocala,

Agree

I listened to the game on TuneIn Radio.

LSU's batters keep extending their at bats by fouling off pitches. In 4 innings, they pushed Sproat's pitch count up to 115.

Cags not disciplined at the plate; not a professional hitter.

On Cags last at bat (strikeout) the announcer said that Cags, on his last strike, swung so hard that he just about came out of his shoes - not a compliment.

That was the 10th Inning - score tied - runner in scoring position; all we needed was a base hit ! But Cags wanted the Walk Off HR & ended up with a SO.

Tonight's game - Cags - 5 AB, 1 Hit, 1 RBI, 2 SO

Have to give Floyd credit he pitched a HELL of a game -
in 8 full innings - 17 Ks, 1 Walk, 5 Hits, 1 HR, 3 ER.

His 17 Ks (2 by Cags) set a MCWS record for a 9 inning game.

https://www.espn.com/college-baseball/boxscore/_/gameId/401553551
17 K's record to 24 runs record, what a difference a day makes.

Well it looks like Skenes will pitch tomorrow. The question is how many outs are they hoping to get out of him. Will be very interesting. Much better plate discipline after the 3rd inning. Need to keep that up. Throw strikes and don't swing at balls.

Cags vs Skenes ?​

Monday night, two of the most storied programs in the sport, LSU and Florida, play for a trophy and put an exclamation point on what will be remembered as the greatest College World Series ever played.

For LSU and its tens of thousands of fans who once again made Omaha “Baton Rouge, Midwest,” a 7th national championship, won by one of the most compelling groups of players to ever play the sport, awaits.

For Florida, the chance to make NCAA history and become the first athletic program to win MULTIPLE Division I national championships in the 3 revenue sports of football, men’s basketball and baseball.

Will Paul Skenes, LSU’s generational talent at pitcher, throw for the Bayou Bengals on just 3 days’ rest? And, if so, how much?

Skenes will want to go out a champion, regardless of the fact he’s thrown an insane 243 pitches in the past 9 days.

In regular-season time, Skenes would be throwing a bullpen Monday anyway, and while that might just be a 40-pitch outing, it suggests that there is at least something in the tank for the LSU All-American on Monday night.

For the Gators, the story starts and potentially ends with dual-threat star Jac Caglianone, the mountain of a man otherwise known as Jactani who gets the baseball with a chance to add to his growing legacy.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...jac-caglianones-moment-may-define-the-winner/

Jac Caglianone, Wicked 97mph Fastball - "That is coming straight to a PitchingNinja video. That was disgusting."​

Cags vs Skenes ?​

Monday night, two of the most storied programs in the sport, LSU and Florida, play for a trophy and put an exclamation point on what will be remembered as the greatest College World Series ever played.

For LSU and its tens of thousands of fans who once again made Omaha “Baton Rouge, Midwest,” a 7th national championship, won by one of the most compelling groups of players to ever play the sport, awaits.

For Florida, the chance to make NCAA history and become the first athletic program to win MULTIPLE Division I national championships in the 3 revenue sports of football, men’s basketball and baseball.

Will Paul Skenes, LSU’s generational talent at pitcher, throw for the Bayou Bengals on just 3 days’ rest? And, if so, how much?

Skenes will want to go out a champion, regardless of the fact he’s thrown an insane 243 pitches in the past 9 days.

In regular-season time, Skenes would be throwing a bullpen Monday anyway, and while that might just be a 40-pitch outing, it suggests that there is at least something in the tank for the LSU All-American on Monday night.

For the Gators, the story starts and potentially ends with dual-threat star Jac Caglianone, the mountain of a man otherwise known as Jactani who gets the baseball with a chance to add to his growing legacy.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...jac-caglianones-moment-may-define-the-winner/

Jac Caglianone, Wicked 97mph Fastball - "That is coming straight to a PitchingNinja video. That was disgusting."​

Gators can't focus on whether or not Skenes takes the mound. They have to worry about their own staff limiting walks and hit batters, plus keeping their momentum at the plate from the last 7 innings yesterday. I would imagine Skenes' family and agent will have a lot to say about whether or not he pitches tonight and, if so, how much. He's looking at a mega-million contract in a couple of weeks and having thrown 243 pitches over the last 9 days like you said, 120 of those on Thursday night, I doubt they're willing to risk his future on 1 game no matter how important. And I don't think his coach will either. He's a big, strong dude, no doubt, but I'm guessing that no matter how badly he wants to help his team, other voices are going to insist on "No" or very little. We'll see. My guess is LSU starts Thatcher Hurd, with Griffin Herring the next guy up in the pen. My concern is mainly on Caglionone consistently hitting the zone and not walking and hitting guys. That's what gets him in trouble, as he doesn't give up many hits.

Gators can't focus on whether or not Skenes takes the mound. They have to worry about their own staff limiting walks and hit batters, plus keeping their momentum at the plate from the last 7 innings yesterday. I would imagine Skenes' family and agent will have a lot to say about whether or not he pitches tonight and, if so, how much. He's looking at a mega-million contract in a couple of weeks and having thrown 243 pitches over the last 9 days like you said, 120 of those on Thursday night, I doubt they're willing to risk his future on 1 game no matter how important. And I don't think his coach will either. He's a big, strong dude, no doubt, but I'm guessing that no matter how badly he wants to help his team, other voices are going to insist on "No" or very little. We'll see. My guess is LSU starts Thatcher Hurd, with Griffin Herring the next guy up in the pen. My concern is mainly on Caglionone consistently hitting the zone and not walking and hitting guys. That's what gets him in trouble, as he doesn't give up many hits.
Crazy Ocala but I saw a stat that LSU has left 30 men on base the first two games. Wow! You make a great point, we need to limit the walks. I also saw that Gator pitching has given up 16 walks and 5 hit batters. That's 21 free passes in 20 innings. Ugly stat.

Gators can't focus on whether or not Skenes takes the mound. They have to worry about their own staff limiting walks and hit batters, plus keeping their momentum at the plate from the last 7 innings yesterday.
Agree
I would imagine Skenes' family and agent will have a lot to say about whether or not he pitches tonight and, if so, how much. He's looking at a mega-million contract in a couple of weeks and having thrown 243 pitches over the last 9 days like you said, 120 of those on Thursday night, I doubt they're willing to risk his future on 1 game no matter how important.
$8MM last figure I read
And I don't think his coach will either. He's a big, strong dude, no doubt, but I'm guessing that no matter how badly he wants to help his team, other voices are going to insist on "No" or very little. We'll see. My guess is LSU starts Thatcher Hurd, with Griffin Herring the next guy up in the pen.
My knowledge limited; Trust your thoughts on Baseball
My concern is mainly on Caglionone consistently hitting the zone and not walking and hitting guys. That's what gets him in trouble, as he doesn't give up many hits.
BINGO

Ocala,

Would like to think we will have a repeat of last night & Gators will be so far ahead, Skenes doesn't take the mound
BUT
Doubt that will happen ! LOL

Cags. when pitching, generally his own worst enemy.
BUT
He overcame his batting problems - too focused on HR record ?
AND
Now, I hope, he has a clear head to pitch his best game of the season.

Gators will need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocalaman
Whether or not Skenes pitches, we just need to make them throw strikes. If he does pitch and has 40-50 pitches in him, all the more reason to work counts.

As for Cags, as has been said, he just has to throw strikes! I would leave the slider in the dugout and just pump 98 mph left handed heaters anywhere in the zone. Easier said than done, as we all know.

CAGS - “The season could come down to me,”

With the National Championship Series knotted at a game apiece between Florida and LSU, the Gators will hand Caglianone the ball in hopes that he can offer just one more shut down performance en route to stardom. And as he has all year, he’ll bat for himself, too.

“It's kind of funny how things work out,” O’Sullivan said.

But Caglianone wouldn’t have had it any other way.

In fact, he practically predicted it would happen almost five months ago when he held his phone and took that deep sigh before professing his love for his team and stating in no uncertain terms that his goal was to win it all for the group, not himself.

“The season could come down to me,” he said prophetically.

Indeed, it will.

And he’s been ready for it.

“I’d do anything for this team,” Caglianone said before the season. “I’ll pitch, I’ll hit, whatever they need from me I’ll do it. I just hope it helps us win a ring.”

https://247sports.com/college/flori...e-gators-college-world-series-nati-212108421/

Last edited:
Reactions: bradleygator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT