ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Baseball & Softball Thread

ocalaman

Bull Gator
Sep 4, 2002
Seasons are fast approaching. Here's some links to get it started:

Last edited:
Reactions: PacoGator19
Gators ran into a hot Oklahoma team last year. I think we will be better on the bump but maybe not as strong offensively this season. Not sure what to make of softball this year.

I think Riopole and Langford are as good as anyone at bat and Cags may end up being the best hitter on the team. Rivera is solid. So they just need depth around those guys. Just get traffic in front of those guys.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Gators ran into a hot Oklahoma team last year. I think we will be better on the bump but maybe not as strong offensively this season. Not sure what to make of softball this year.
The softball team lost 3 key players - a 4 year starter at 2nd base in Hannah Adams, a consistent OF in Cheyenne Lindsey, plus an experienced above average pitcher in Natalie Lugo. They return a solid team with a lot of speed. They picked up a very good OF in the transfer portal in Pal Egan. They have a lot of talent and experience returning, plus get potential HR threat Baylee Goddard back from a year long injury and have a Top 20 freshman recruit in Kaila Pollard who could step right in at 2nd base. The key to me is going to be pitching, as the defense will always be elite and the offense will be very good again, with hopefully a little more power to go with the excellent speed. Elizabeth Hightower pitched last year with nagging injuries and she wasn't as effective as her All America year in 2021. She's back for a final season and if she can return to form it will be a big bonus. Sophomore Lexie Delbrey was the #2 pitching recruit in the country and was very good last year as a freshman. If she takes a reasonable jump from 1st to 2nd year, she could be an All-SEC type pitcher. Rylee Trlicek was emerging as our best pitcher during her true freshman year when COVID shut the season down. In 2021 and 2022 she didn't show development, but at times last season she was exceptional. She, also, was a Top 5 pitching recruit and has the potential to be a star in the circle. And we have freshman Olivia Gigante, who can pitch, hit with power and play 1st base. She, apparently, has potential as a power pitcher. We have the top rated recruiting class coming in for next year, with 6 elite players, plus the potential for the top class in 2024. Here are links to the 2023 class:
So this year is really a bridge season between last year's WCWS team and next year's team and we're starting off ranked #5. Not bad, huh?

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Four Florida softball players were named to preseason Top 100 lists by D1Softball, Extra Inning Softball and Softball America ahead of the upcoming 2023 season.

Redshirt-junior #4 SS Skylar Wallace, graduate senior #3 3B Charla Echols, sophomore #7 OF Kendra Falby each garnered Top 100 rankings from all three outlets, while graduate transfer Pal Egan earned rankings from Softball America and D1Softball.

In 2022, Wallace put together a historic season as she is the only known player in NCAA Division I history to post at least:
70 hits (71),
70 runs (79),
50 RBI (53) and
50 stolen bases (52) in a single season......

Popped out to me, Team Stolen Bases = 132 / 149 -- Combined Opp's 39 / 47

https://floridagators.com/news/2023...several-national-preseason-top-100-lists.aspx
==========

My only questions involve the pitching roster.
RHP Natalie Lugo 5th Sr (IP 88.1) - Eligibility Expired
RHP Marissa Mesiemore Grad-Sr (IP 24.2) - Eligibility Expired

Returning: 2023 Pitching Class
RHP Elizabeth Hightower Grad-Sr (IP 167.0) Starter
RHP Lexie Delbrey So (IP 111.1) 2022 Starter
LHP Rylee Trilicek Sr (IP 41.0)
LHP Haley Pittman Jr (IP 18.2)
Newbees:
RHP Samantha Bender Grad-Sr - Tenn xfer
2022 - 5 appearances with 6.0 innings pitched and 2 strikeouts

IB/RHP Olivia Gigante Fr
2022 Alliance Fastpitch National Champions

PS - I'm really gonna miss one of my all time favorites, 2B Hannah Adams....
But OF Kendra Falby is fast becoming my newest favorite to watch play....

Gator's 2023 Roster:
https://floridagators.com/sports/softball/roster/2023
==========

Pitching help is coming in the 2023 recruit class: 😲

RHP/1B Ava Brown
2022 Texas Gatorade PoY
2022 Max Preps First Team AA

RHP Keagan Rothrock
2022 National Gatorade Softball PoY
2022 Indiana Gatorade PoY
2022 USA Today National HS PoY
2022 Extra Innings Softball PoY
2022 Indiana 4A State Champion
2022 NFCA High School AA

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Four Florida softball players were named to preseason Top 100 lists by D1Softball, Extra Inning Softball and Softball America ahead of the upcoming 2023 season.

Redshirt-junior #4 SS Skylar Wallace, graduate senior #3 3B Charla Echols, sophomore #7 OF Kendra Falby each garnered Top 100 rankings from all three outlets, while graduate transfer Pal Egan earned rankings from Softball America and D1Softball.

In 2022, Wallace put together a historic season as she is the only known player in NCAA Division I history to post at least:
70 hits (71),
70 runs (79),
50 RBI (53) and

https://floridagators.com/news/2023...several-national-preseason-top-100-lists.aspx
==========

Newbees:

IB/RHP Olivia Gigante Fr

Gator's 2023 Roster:
==========

RHP/1B Ava Brown
2022 Texas Gatorade PoY

RHP Keagan Rothrock
2022 NFCA High School AA
Good job, man!!!

Reactions: instaGATOR
The softball team lost 3 key players - a 4 year starter at 2nd base in Hannah Adams, a consistent OF in Cheyenne Lindsey, plus an experienced above average pitcher in Natalie Lugo. They return a solid team with a lot of speed. They picked up a very good OF in the transfer portal in Pal Egan. They have a lot of talent and experience returning, plus get potential HR threat Baylee Goddard back from a year long injury and have a Top 20 freshman recruit in Kaila Pollard who could step right in at 2nd base. The key to me is going to be pitching, as the defense will always be elite and the offense will be very good again, with hopefully a little more power to go with the excellent speed. Elizabeth Hightower pitched last year with nagging injuries and she wasn't as effective as her All America year in 2021. She's back for a final season and if she can return to form it will be a big bonus. Sophomore Lexie Delbrey was the #2 pitching recruit in the country and was very good last year as a freshman. If she takes a reasonable jump from 1st to 2nd year, she could be an All-SEC type pitcher. Rylee Trlicek was emerging as our best pitcher during her true freshman year when COVID shut the season down. In 2021 and 2022 she didn't show development, but at times last season she was exceptional. She, also, was a Top 5 pitching recruit and has the potential to be a star in the circle. And we have freshman Olivia Gigante, who can pitch, hit with power and play 1st base. She, apparently, has potential as a power pitcher. We have the top rated recruiting class coming in for next year, with 6 elite players, plus the potential for the top class in 2024. Here are links to the 2023 class:
So this year is really a bridge season between last year's WCWS team and next year's team and we're starting off ranked #5. Not bad, huh?
Excellent info Ocala. Love the incoming class. Looks loaded. Pre-season 5 not too shabby. Looking forward to the start of the season. Someone needs to dethrone Oklahoma.

70 hits (71),
70 runs (79),
50 RBI (53) and

==========

Newbees:

IB/RHP Olivia Gigante Fr

Gator's 2023 Roster:
==========

RHP/1B Ava Brown
2022 Texas Gatorade PoY

RHP Keagan Rothrock
2022 NFCA High School AA
Good info Insta

Sully has in the past emphasized pitching with the players who pitch and play a position. I really hope he lets Cags hit. Think the lineup needs him more than the staff. When Cags became a lineup regular is where we caught some traction last year.
I don't think there's any doubt Caglionone will be a 2-way player, probably our best since Brad Wilkerson. Normal full recovery from Tommy John surgery is 24 months and he's only 18-19 months removed, so Sully will be careful not to put too much strain on his throwing arm. He'll probably have a pitch limit to be brought along slowly. But the kid has been impressive on the mound by all accounts, consistently hitting the upper 90's with his fastball and locating it well. He'll probably play 1st base when not pitching, possibly DH'ing some, and will be a major part of the batting order, IMO. But he is going to pitch as well and from what I've read, he's competing with Pierce Coppola to be the Sunday starter. If Coppolla gets the nod, he'll probably start some midweek games and/or be a reliever on the weekends.

Reactions: bradleygator
I don't think there's any doubt Caglionone will be a 2-way player, probably our best since Brad Wilkerson. Normal full recovery from Tommy John surgery is 24 months and he's only 18-19 months removed, so Sully will be careful not to put too much strain on his throwing arm. He'll probably have a pitch limit to be brought along slowly. But the kid has been impressive on the mound by all accounts, consistently hitting the upper 90's with his fastball and locating it well. He'll probably play 1st base when not pitching, possibly DH'ing some, and will be a major part of the batting order, IMO. But he is going to pitch as well and from what I've read, he's competing with Pierce Coppola to be the Sunday starter. If Coppolla gets the nod, he'll probably start some midweek games and/or be a reliever on the weekends.
He was a big time pitching recruit. We might never have seen him hit if he hadn’t got injured. I defer to Sully, but we need his bat in the lineup. He’s an animal.

Sully has in the past emphasized pitching with the players who pitch and play a position. I really hope he lets Cags hit. Think the lineup needs him more than the staff. When Cags became a lineup regular is where we caught some traction last year.
I agree Bradley...dude was a spark for our offense last season. Keep the bat in his hand.

I’m predicting Cag will be our best hitter.

Interview with Tim Walton. Go to about the 28 minute mark of this Podcast to listen. He does a good analysis of the competition for catcher, 2B & DH and says this team has a good chance to be special offensively. Great analysis of last year and the special season Skylar Wallace had, plus excellent analysis of Charla Echols and Kendra Falby. He says Lexie Delbrey will miss the beginning of the season and that Hightower and Trlicek will get the bulk of the innings in the circle. He says the pitching staff needs to get better for them to make it back to the WCWS. Good interview if you have 30 minutes to listen.

Reactions: Countygator1
I just watched Part 1 of Steve Russell's interview today with Tim Walton. A point of emphasis for this season was working in the weight room and in the batting cages to increase power numbers, as the OBP and batting averages were good last year, but they need to get more power from the team and feels they will do that this year. He said Sarah Longley had a great fall camp and is now playing catcher for the first time since middle school and it's good to have an athlete like her behind the plate. Russell asked if any positions were pretty well locked in and he mentioned Echols at 3rd, Wallace at SS, Goelz at 1st and Kistler, Falby & Goddard in the OF. He said he's still trying to figure out 2nd, but said Egan, Pollard, Roe & Wilkie will get a lot of playing time at different positions early on, as he has a lot of depth and will move a lot of players around early in the season. On the pitching side, he said Delbrey hasn't thrown in live action since the WCWS, but is working hard and making steady progress in getting her pitch count up to be able to contribute ASAP. He said Trlicek has improved a lot and Hightower is an AA looking to have a big year and that Gigante and Bender will, also, pitch a lot, especially early in the season and he has confidence in all of them.

Great stuff Ocala
Thanks. As you can probably tell, CG1, I LOVE Gator baseball & softball. Football plays 12-13 games a year, while the diamond teams play over 60 games when you count post season. And I watch as many as I can and go to a few here and there. Here's the newest article that hit today about the softball team:

I love gator baseball. I think a lot of gator fans miss the boat. SEC baseball is big time ball, maybe a more dominant league top to bottom than SEC football. And sully is running the last men’s program (revenue sports) that still is being run at 1990-2010 UF standards.

I can’t get into the softball as much. But I enjoy following it here on this board and respect the program Tim Walton is running.

I love gator baseball. I think a lot of gator fans miss the boat. SEC baseball is big time ball, maybe a more dominant league top to bottom than SEC football. And sully is running the last men’s program (revenue sports) that still is being run at 1990-2010 UF standards.

I can’t get into the softball as much. But I enjoy following it here on this board and respect the program Tim Walton is running.
You're right about the quality of SEC baseball - D1 Baseball has 7 SEC teams in the pre-season Top 10, with LSU #1, Tennessee #2, Ole Miss #4, Texas A&M #5, Florida #7, Arkansas #8 & Vandy #10. Alabama & South Carolina are in the Top 25. That's insane competition.

Thanks. As you can probably tell, CG1, I LOVE Gator baseball & softball. Football plays 12-13 games a year, while the diamond teams play over 60 games when you count post season. And I watch as many as I can and go to a few here and there. Here's the newest article that hit today about the softball team:
Crazy to think Walton has coached 17 seasons at UF. Take way the 2020 cancelled year, he has taken the Gators to 11 CWS in 16 seasons. That is unbelievable consistency.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT