ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Georgia QB commit Carson Beck explains how he used Florida to land Georgia offer

As I said in the other thread, I'd end any recruitment of Beck and pull his UF ship offer if it were up to me, but I'd continue to recruit the now un-committed Richardson. He and RB Lee are still welcome at UF imoho while Beck is now persona-non-grata in my book.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Not sure why it matters to be honest. There is one position I’m not worried about anymore with Dan Mullen and that is the QB position.

He truly is a QB guru. Just look who he has coached/developed.

Not sure why it matters to be honest. There is one position I’m not worried about anymore with Dan Mullen and that is the QB position.

He truly is a QB guru. Just look who he has coached/developed.

Do we get to add Felipe Franks to CDM's QB list now or do we have to wait till end of 2019 season ?

Was pretending to be from Jacksonville part of his plan?

Did you hear that from the same source as the mileage from Pensacola to Chicago? :cool:

He was always another snotty rich kid from Mandarin, not Jacksonville.
Doh! Wait, they are the same place,,, just 12-13 miles apart with different names... ;)

The headline is a stretch. If you read the article, he never said that.

And even if he did say that exactly - so what? People use leverage every day - big deal.

The thing is gbo, I'd rather have 3-4 stars that WANT to be Gators, than 4-5 star entitled drama queens that need 'leverage' to get what they want. Beck should fit right in with UGly/Dummy, he seems to know how to play the 'Field.' in recruiting... :D

I hear you - thing is everyone does this. How many teams tell xxxx recruit - if you don't sign, we're taking this other guy. This is just the business side of things...big whoop.

Yep, and ole Hobard Nevil knows that Micanopy is literally a neighborhood in Gainesville... :cool:

Then I guess Ole Hobard is an idiot because the corporate boundaries of Gainesville is nowhere close to Micanopy - I guess ole Hobard doesn’t comprehend the differences between county, incorporated cities/towns, and neighborhoods

I hear you - thing is everyone does this. How many teams tell xxxx recruit - if you don't sign, we're taking this other guy. This is just the business side of things...big whoop.

No, sorry gbo, but everybody does not do it.
"But everybody does it." -- Is the all time biggest excuse for losers imo... :rolleyes:
And even those that do some of it, don't all do it to the same degree.
Open back and forth information is not always attempts at 'leverage.' :cool:

The ones that want to be Gators and sign their LOI's will be Gators. :)
The rest will just be more Gatorbait in the end... o_O

Haven’t read it but it wouldn’t be a good reflection on him imo

The title is misleading because he didn’t use those exact words, but by what he did say it’s pretty clear that’s what he did. Thing is gatorbuilder is right it happens all the time, but he comes off douchey saying it publicly. You got what you wanted just shut up and move on. Especially when him and his father are STILL claiming they had the best relationship with Mullen. If that’s the case why admit publicly that you basically used him to get what you wanted? If I’m close with somebody I’m not saying that to the world, even if it might be true.

Reactions: GwinnettDawg
He clueless moe-ron troll, go back to pokin' your dog, you're boring... Zzz

I’m sorry if the facts you choose to ignore bore you

I’ll try to remember to make them less boring by inserting gifs!!

200.gif

An 'inserting' dog-poker.... :eek: Now that's funny.... :D

I'll bet that you morons really think that 'a piece of paper marriage licence' is what makes a marriage too.... :cool:

Your 'cheap lawyer chatter' will never change the geographic realities... o_O

As I said in the other thread, I'd end any recruitment of Beck and pull his UF ship offer if it were up to me, but I'd continue to recruit the now un-committed Richardson. He and RB Lee are still welcome at UF imoho while Beck is now persona-non-grata in my book.

Agree Insta,

Not a conspiracy theorist, but from what I read, Beck basically came on to Gators.

I never did like the thought of dropping Richardson & going after Beck. CDM has an offensive style & I did Not feel that Beck fit that style. I thought that Richardson did.

Many articles talked about Anthony Richardson being a "better athlete than QB".

In his 6 TDs game he showed that - passed for 241 yards and two touchdowns, and ran for an additional 157 and four scores in a 62-27 Rams victory.

But lets be honest, Franks was not lighting things up before Mullen & Brian Johnson arrived. Any QB who needs to work on his game will be fine. Like asking if Nick Savage can help a player get stronger - foregone conclusion.

If Gators able to recruit 1 top flight QB a year who fits their offensive system, they will be fine. Four QBs provide plenty of competition & backup in case of injury.

If Richardson willing to follow same course as Emory Jones & use 4 game RS rule, he will learn better passing mechanics & be a great QB in CDM's system.

GO GATORS !!

Last edited:
Reactions: seffnergator
Agree Insta,

I never did like the thought of dropping richardson & going after Beck. CDM has an offensive style & I didn't feel that Beck fit that style. I thought that Richardson did.

Many articles talked about Richardson being a "better athlete than QB" 6 TDs in one game showed that. But lets be honest, Franks was not lighting things up before Mullen & Brian Johnson arrived.

If Gators able to recruit 1 top flight QB a year who fits their offensive system, they will be fine.

If Richardson willing to follow same course as Emory Jones & RS his 1st year & learn better passing mechanics, he will be heck of a QB in CDM's system.

GO GATORS !!

Beck’s QB coach said UF never dropped Richardson. Said at the junior day they were on both hard and it was hard for him to tell who they wanted more. The Richardson decommit caught the staff off guard.

Richardson and Beck are different style QB's. Either would do well under Dan/Brian coaching.

I've liked Richardson all along, but Dan (nor I) would promise him that he'd be the only QB recruited or taken in the class, and Richardson has said that he welcomes competition, so I don't see where Beck should have been a problem for him. I hope that AR is not letting the outsider 'noise' shift him away from UF. :cool:

I was happy with just getting E.Jones in 18. I was happy just getting J.Jones in 19, and I'd be happy with just getting A.Richardson in 20. At UF, you only need to be the starter for 1 solid season at any position in order to move on for a chance in the NFL.

Another thing is this, a HS recruit that comes in as a QB doesn't always move on to the NFL as a QB. There are probably a dozen players currently on the UF roster that played QB in HS. QB's Reed and Burton went to the NFL as TE's. Starting QB T.Harris xfer out to TnSt and has moved to WR. QB-dt Toney will likely go to the NFL as a WR/RB and/or return man.

Most recruits know that the combination of UF and the UAA can put them in position to succeed in both areas of student/athlete. Their own combination of aptitude and effort will determine the outcome for them. o_O

Beck has made his 3rd commit now, 1-UF Baseball, 2-UA Football, 3-UGly Football. At this point, I'd say that where he ends up is still uncertain, given his history... :confused:

And Anthony will eventually do what he thinks is best for him, which is fine with me,,,, Gator or gatorbait..... ;)

Because of the two Joneses you have most top rated dual threat QBs are going to be apprehensive about going to a full locker room. One Jones has redshirted. The other Jones likely redshirts this year and Franks is a total question mark on being back next year. But highly highly likely he’s back in 2020. That’s a lot of stability for a program that was like the college version of the dolphins after Marino retired. Any qb recruit you get in this cycle has to accept that it may be three years before they are handed the reigns and accept that now. And most top rated QBs are too competitive to accept that.

Because of the two Joneses you have most top rated dual threat QBs are going to be apprehensive about going to a full locker room. One Jones has redshirted. The other Jones likely redshirts this year and Franks is a total question mark on being back next year. But highly highly likely he’s back in 2020. That’s a lot of stability for a program that was like the college version of the dolphins after Marino retired. Any qb recruit you get in this cycle has to accept that it may be three years before they are handed the reigns and accept that now. And most top rated QBs are too competitive to accept that.

You’re right but stuff can change quick. As crazy as it sounds Franks said he almost left after this year. If he’s back in 2020 I can’t see Emory or Trask staying and riding the bench another year. So I think UF will be at two QB’s this time next year one way or another.

I think Trask transfers since it seems like Emory has a firm grip on #2. Then either Franks leaves after this season or he comes back another year and Emory leaves. I don’t see a scenario where four QB’s are on the team come next spring.

You have to wonder if Trask sticks around for you guys unless he goes D2 or FCS. He wasn’t highly regarded in hs and has he finished a season uninjured for UF yet? Doesn’t bode well if you can’t finish a season healthy as a backup QB. He may be happy just being at a D1 school.

Totally agree though, a lot can change. It’s up to the staff to sell that hope. I shudder to think what your offense is going to look like with a legit dual threat guy. If Franks is supplanted by either Jones with their wheels it’s going to be a great year for you. I say that because beating Franks out will not be easy. He’s no slouch like he was in 2017. Like any qb, consistency will decide his fate.

We didn’t drop Richardson for Beck. Richardson is still a high priority. To be honest I’m not really worried about the QB position much anymore.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
You have to wonder if Trask sticks around for you guys unless he goes D2 or FCS. He wasn’t highly regarded in hs and has he finished a season uninjured for UF yet? Doesn’t bode well if you can’t finish a season healthy as a backup QB. He may be happy just being at a D1 school.

Totally agree though, a lot can change. It’s up to the staff to sell that hope. I shudder to think what your offense is going to look like with a legit dual threat guy. If Franks is supplanted by either Jones with their wheels it’s going to be a great year for you. I say that because beating Franks out will not be easy. He’s no slouch like he was in 2017. Like any qb, consistency will decide his fate.

Yea Trask would be interesting. On the one hand you might think he’d hang around since he wasn’t highly recruited and doesn’t have much actual on field play to sell to anybody. But at the same time you gotta think he’d wanna start at some point in his career. Can’t omagine any real competitor would be cool sitting the bench in HS and college.

And agree with you on Franks. He’d have to have a garbage spring and fall to lose the job I’d think. He’s the safe bet until/if he has a stretch of bad play.

Entering Spring - QB speculation abounds.
Nobody knows how the O&B QB depth chart finishes.
And nobody knows how the Aug 24th depth chart will look.

1. Franks rsJr
2. Trask rsJr
3. E.Jones rsFr
4. J.Jones Fr
-----
5. QB-pp Nick Sproles 6-2 215 rsJr - P-WO
Played in 3 games as the backup 3rd string QB.

6. QB-dt Jaylin Jackson 5-8 171 rsFr - P-WO
WR/ST's in 2 games as a tFr. -- Went 30-5 as a FL HS QB-dt.

This could be a pretty interesting Spring at several positions, but it's still just Spring practice.

We didn’t drop Richardson for Beck. Richardson is still a high priority. To be honest I’m not really worried about the QB position much anymore.

Agreed - listened to the Gator podcast with David Waters and they had Beck's coach (happens to be AR's as well) and he basically said that although Beck chose UGA he (the coach) didn't feel it was a "miss" by Florida per se. He just mentioned there's a ton of top guys that fit Mullen better than Beck does.

Now that's the diplomatic thing to say and I'd only argue that Mullen DID want this guy pretty back by all reports - but overall I think what that guy said made a lot of sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT