ADVERTISEMENT

Best QB to Target - when/if he hits the Transfer Portal ?

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Reshaping the Florida Gators 2023 Quarterback Target Board​

Analyzing the standing of the Florida Gators quarterback board following Jaden Rashada commit to Miami.
https://www.si.com/college/florida/...iting-reshaping-2023-quarterback-target-board

Brandon Carroll's article examines high level uncommitted QBs around the country, possible flip candidates (Marcus Stokes & others), & QBs who may lose a QB competation & enter the transfer portal in the near future.

For every uncommitted QB Carroll mentioned, Gators, at this time, do not seem to be in contention. Most of them have announced commitment dates in the near future, but as we saw with Rashada, commit dates are changeable & ESD isn't until mid December.

The same goes with flip candidates.

Carroll feels that the Gators' efforts to recruit another quality QB1 will likely mirror their overarching recruiting strategy.

They will start from within the state and work their way out. I agree, more likely to get a spark from a Florida player who grew up wanting to be the next Tim Tebow.

"...Perhaps the transfer portal can once again be the Gators saving grace as it pertain to the stabilization of a quarterback room that contains very little promise for the future barring an unexpected jump from one of the current players occupying a spot on the (Gators') depth chart."

"...But, with crowded quarterback rooms around the country presenting a reason for players to depart, the exodus of high-caliber talents who failed to edge out their competation elsewhere will surely be looking for new homes to shine following the 2022 season."

Teams to watch for departing backups include Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama and GEORGIA.
Laugh all you want, bring out all the negatives from his switch to Georgia, but what about Dawgs #15 - Carsen Beck ?

Stetson Bennett, a 6th year player, is absolutely gone after this season. Stockton is a true Fresh, Vandagriff a RS Fresh, Beck a RS Soph - little time left on his clock at UGA.

Does anyone think he will beat out the No. 4 prospect in the 2021 class - 5* Brock Vandagriff ?

4* Gunner Stockton also seems to be ahead of him though he may be a transfer candidate also.

If Beck loses out to Vandagriff, he would have no chance to start at UGA - what does he do & where does he go ?

On his 1st Transfer he would be instantly eligable. Could he leave at the end of fall camp, learn the offense, & be ready for his Jr year at UF.

Recently, several UGA players have made the transfer from Athens to G'ville; Coaches can not talk to Beck about tranfering, BUT players already on our roster, who know him, can.
  • POSITION QB
  • HEIGHT 6-4
  • WEIGHT 215
  • CLASS Redshirt Sophomore
  • HOMETOWN Jacksonville, Fla.
  • HIGH SCHOOL Mandarin

Last edited:
If we don't land a highly rated QB recruit in this class we will probably need to target a top backup somewhere that has played enough to show they are legit. If Richardson leaves we definitely need them here for the Spring. Depending on the offense we show this season it possibly could limit who is willing to come here though.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
If we don't land a highly rated QB recruit in this class we will probably need to target a top backup somewhere that has played enough to show they are legit. If Richardson leaves we definitely need them here for the Spring.

Depending on the offense we show this season it possibly could limit who is willing to come here though. AGREE
Fever,

You read my mind before I could post it.

Basically we have few good options & are looking under rocks hoping to find buried treasure. LOL

A transfer from UGA would already be familiar with a run-heavy offense & since they ran that offense when Beck commited to the dawgs, he would hopefully be comfortable with it.

Realistically, Beck - my candidate, has shown little so far while in Athens. So may not be any better than Jack Miller.

BUT, born in Jacksonville, has the size & the arm strength, so who knows ?

From his underwhelming dawgs' bio -
2021: Beck completed four of 10 passes for 88 yards, with one TD, in first extensive action of his career vs. UAB...saw 1.5 quarters of action at QB vs. Vanderbilt, completing one pass for 11 yards...quarterbacked three offensive series vs. Charleston Southern, completing five of 10 passes for 77 yards and a TD...completed 22 of 31 passes for 236 yards and a pair of TDs in the annual G-Day spring game.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatordad3
Beck -- I just played Florida in order to get a committable offer from Georgia....
Now he's a washed up rsSo 5-star bust at UGly....

The iG: As to the lying, backstabbing, PoS Carson Beck,,,, JUST SAY
NO....

Then follow that up by saying, NO FREAKIN' WAY.....
🤓

And enough already with the xfer-in QB's at UF... 🙄

Beck -- I just played Florida in order to get a committable offer from Georgia....
Now he's a washed up rsSo 5-star bust at UGly....

The iG: As to the lying, backstabbing, PoS Carson Beck,,,, JUST SAY
NO....

Then follow that up by saying, NO FREAKIN' WAY.....
🤓

And enough already with the xfer-in QB's at UF... 🙄
Insta,

Respect your thoughts on Beck & agree with you that NO transfer QB has done anything of note at UF & transfers at this late date are probably a waste of time !

Which is why Miller's 13-for-23 for 121 yards & an end zone interception did not surprise me.

Beck pissed everyone on this board off, including myself, Big Time !

Was merely bored & playing Devil's Advocate here, in the talking season - LOL !

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
Nice OP. I think Gunner Stockton if he gets beat by Vander will leave as well. I would try to get him.

I am surprised Beck didn't already transfer again since Bennett was left as the starter.
Fever,

Don't think he has ever transfered, but see your point.

IMO, Vandagriff has already passed Beck on the depth chart but I guess that is up to Todd Monken & Kirby.

I am sure there will be a huge competition in the fall for Bennett's backup between all three QBs on the roster. J T daniel & his Heisman Transfered to West Virginia & Arch got lost on his way to Athens, so that leaves a little space in Dawgs QB Room.

After Bennett won the Nattie & came back for his sixth year (which I thought was great); don't see them pulling him unless he gets injured.

If Beck isn't Bennett's backup this year & getting meaningfull snaps with the 1st offense, I don't see him coming back next year for another QB competition.

Don't know the Transfer Portal rules & dates, but Beck's time at UGA is running out; if he isn't QB2 this fall, he might transfer out this year in mid season.

Don't know what he can do; if he wants to keep playing CFB, likely he downsizes & transfers to a smaller school. May depends on where he is with his academics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Fever
Fever,

Don't think he has ever transfered, but see your point.

IMO, Vandagriff has already passed Beck on the depth chart but I guess that is up to Todd Monken & Kirby.

I am sure there will be a huge competition in the fall for Bennett's backup between all three QBs on the roster. J T daniel & his Heisman Transfered to West Virginia & Arch got lost on his way to Athens, so that leaves a little space in Dawgs QB Room.

After Bennett won the Nattie & came back for his sixth year (which I thought was great); don't see them pulling him unless he gets injured.

If Beck isn't Bennett's backup this year & getting meaningfull snaps with the 1st offense, I don't see him coming back next year for another QB competition.

Don't know the Transfer Portal dates, but Beck's time is running out; if he isn't QB2, he might transfer out this year in mid season.

Don't know what he can do; if he wants to keep playing CFB, likely he downsizes & transfers to a smaller school. May depends on where he is with his academics.

Yep I got confused on the transfer thing. I was thinking of J.T. Daniel.

If we don't land a highly rated QB recruit in this class we will probably need to target a top backup somewhere that has played enough to show they are legit.
Fever,

You mean someone like Miller from tOSU ? LOL

After his disaster in the O&B game I have been extremely hard on Miller; perhaps unfairly.

Transfering into a new environment with you & the entire team trying to accustom themselves to a new HC & a new staff, trying to learn a new offense, etc had to be extremely difficult.

Napier is the CEO of gator football & has many demands on his time, so the majority of summer QB development work falls on Ryan O'Hara - Offensive Analyst (Quarterbacks) & anyone working with him.

One thing about this huge new support staff, is there must be several people who can help the entire QB room learn the offense & polish their skills; if not hire another one.

Realize their first priority was/is AR15, but as Urban showed when he won the Nattie with Cardale Jones (who ?), his 3rd string QB, you have to be ready for adversity.

Of course, Ezekiel Elliott rushing for 246 yards and four touchdowns in the NC game may have had something to do with tOSU's win.

AR15 has been injury prone, but if you believe the rumors, with a good season this year, he will probably get drafted.

So far, AR15 has shown little, in terms of winning games, but he has the curse of potential & enormous physical talent.

The NFL, like MLB, has shown itself willing to spend money on potential so we may have to replace AR15 sooner than we would like to.

Last edited:
Fever,

You mean someone like Miller from tOSU ? LOL

After his disaster in the O&B game I have been extremely hard on Miller; perhaps unfairly.

Transfering into a new environment with you & the entire team trying to accustom themselves to a new HC & a new staff, trying to learn a new offense, etc had to be extremely difficult.

Napier is the CEO of gator football & has many demands on his time, so the majority of summer QB development work falls on Ryan O'Hara - Offensive Analyst (Quarterbacks) & anyone working with him.

One thing about this huge new support staff, is there must be several people who can help the entire QB room learn the offense & polish their skills; if not hire another one.

Realize their first priority was/is AR15, but as Urban showed when he won the Nattie with his 3rd string QB, you have to be ready for adversity.

AR15 has been injury prone, but if you believe the rumors, with a good season this year, he will probably get drafted.

So far, AR15 has shown little, in terms of winning games, but he has the curse of potential & enormous physical talent.

The NFL, like MLB, has shown itself willing to spend money on potential so we may have to replace AR15 sooner than we would like to.

Not sure how Miller will turn out but he hasn't played squat in real games. We need to target someone who has and showed they can play if we dont get a top QB recruit this class especially if Richardson is going to leave after this season.

Xfer QB's,,,, JUST SAY NO!

The Gators are good to go for the 2022 season.
Work on getting a quality QB in the 2023 class.
==========

As listed on the current 2022 Gator Roster:

Anthony Richardson 6-4 232 rsSo
Jalen Kitna 6-4 208 rsFr
Jack Miller III 6-3 211 rsFr
Max Brown 6-3 200 Fr
Note: Wuerffel, Leak, and Tebow all played as true Fr....

I just hope that ole Nappy is not the kind that will waste more time on Miller, while ignoring the other 2 QB's, just to try to prove that he didn't screw the pooch when taking in the xfer....

----- Just for fun: BTW, neither of these 2 WO's are dummies...

The iG would rather spend some time with the WO's than take in yet another xfer.
Just like I'd rather spend the time on Kitna & Brown, rather than wasting more time on....

QB Jack Anders 6-2 203 rsSo - Germantown, MD - 2X SEC HR
Keeping in mind that this was just his Soph season.

QB/Ath Kyle Engle 6-1 190 rsSo - Fort Lauderdale, FL - 2X SEC HR
Helped St. Thomas Aquinas to the 2018 FHSAA Class 7A State Championships, finishing as runner up after a 13-2 season… Completed 67%, 9 TD's, 0 Ints. as a senior… Selected to the 2018 Broward County All-Star Game… Received the 2018 FHSAA Class 7A Scholar Athlete Award and the 2018-19 Miami Dolphins Scholar Athlete Award… 2X Maxpreps Offensive Player of the Game… Also competed in lacrosse, becoming a three-time letter-winner… Named to the 2019 First Team All-County and First-Team All-Region for lacrosse, and helped St. Thomas Aquinas to the 2017 State Championships.
I included this link for his Hudl highlights.

Not sure how Miller will turn out but he hasn't played squat in real games. We need to target someone who has and showed they can play if we dont get a top QB recruit this class especially if Richardson is going to leave after this season.
"We need to target someone who has showed they can play."

Fever,

Easier said then done. If they could play, probably not in Transfer Portal. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
"We need to target someone who has showed they can play."

Fever,

Easier said then done. If they could play, probably not in Transfer Portal. LOL

If South Carolina can get one so can we imo. Heck there were a few this transfer cycle but I am sure Southern Cal had to give that one a nice NIL deal. Not sure what that guy got to go to South Carolina. But like was mentioned earlier our offense this season might dictate whether certain transfers would consider us. Hopefully someone on the depth chart ends up being pretty good to solve the issue if Richardson bolts for the NFL.

Last edited:
NO to xfer QB's in 2022!

QB-dt Max Brown 6-3 200 Fr

Two won a Heisman, and the other was a Top 3 finalist for the award. The one that didn't get the Heisman, won the NC by beating the snot outta the one that was given the Heisman in 2006. UF 41 - 14 tOSU.

Jeff & Fever, show me a QB's football stats that are better than these:

Max Brown - 14 Games: 13-1, 6-0 District - 3A Holland:
Passing
- 167 of 235 71.1% for 2,750 Yds, 16.5 Yds/Comp, 41 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 142.6

Rushing
- 95.9 Yds/Gm - 173 for 1,343 Yds, 7.8 YPC, 20 TD's, 1 LPF

Total Offense 14 Gms - 4,093 Yds, 61 TD's, 5 TO's

Let's just do a Comparison - Tim Tebow's Sr season, 3A Nease:
On the season stat totals, keep in mind that Tim played one more game's worth of stats, so the %'s are the comparisons to note.

Tim Tebow 15 Games: 13-2, 4-0 District - 3A Nease
Passing
- 216 of 340 63.5% for 3,302 Yds, 15.3 Yds/Comp, 31 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 121.0

Rushing
- 89.5 Yds/Gm - 183 for 1,163 Yds, 6.4 YPC, 21 TD's, 0 LPF

Total Offense 15 Games: - 4,465 Yds, 52 TD's, 4 TO's

================

I'm putting my coaching time & money into Max Brown, not yet another flunky QB that couldn't make it where he's at....

Max Passing - 71.1%, 16.5 Yds/Comp, 41 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 142.6
Tim Passing -- 63.5%, 15.3 Yds/Comp, 31 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 121.

Max Rushing - 95.9 Yds/Gm, 7.8 YPC, 20 TD's, 1 LPF
Tim Rushing -- 89.5 Yds/Gm, 6.4 YPC, 21 TD's,
0 LPF

Last edited:
NO to xfer QB's in 2022!

QB-dt Max Brown 6-3 200 Fr

Two won a Heisman, and the other was a Top 3 finalist for the award. The one that didn't get the Heisman, won the NC by beating the snot outta the one that was given the Heisman in 2006. UF 41 - 14 tOSU.

Jeff & Fever, show me a QB's football stats that are better than these:

Max Brown - 14 Games: 13-1, 6-0 District - 3A Holland:
Passing
- 167 of 235 71.1% for 2,750 Yds, 16.5 Yds/Comp, 41 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 142.6

Rushing
- 95.9 Yds/Gm - 173 for 1,343 Yds, 7.8 YPC, 20 TD's, 1 LPF

Total Offense 14 Gms - 4,093 Yds, 61 TD's, 5 TO's

Let's just do a Comparison - Tim Tebow's Sr season, 3A Nease:
On the season stat totals, keep in mind that Tim played one more game's worth of stats, so the %'s are the comparisons to note.

Tim Tebow 15 Games: 13-2, 4-0 District - 3A Nease
Passing
- 216 of 340 63.5% for 3,302 Yds, 15.3 Yds/Comp, 31 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 121.0

Rushing
- 89.5 Yds/Gm - 183 for 1,163 Yds, 6.4 YPC, 21 TD's, 0 LPF

Total Offense 15 Games: - 4,465 Yds, 52 TD's, 4 TO's

================

I'm putting my coaching time & money into Max Brown, not yet another flunky QB that couldn't make it where he's at....

Max Passing - 71.1%,16.5 Yds/Comp, 41 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 142.6
Tim Passing - 63.5%,15.3 Yds/Comp, 31 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 121.

Max Rushing - 95.9 Yds/Gm, 7.8 YPC, 20 TD's, 1 LPF
Tim Rushing -- 89.5 Yds/Gm, 6.4 YPC, 21 TD's,
0 LPF

I can show you a bunch that never panned out with stats like that. Hopefully one does but if we don't land a top one this class and it looks like Miller time would mostly lead to just drinking more beer in frustration we might need to get one with real experience.

I can show you a bunch that never panned out with stats like that. Hopefully one does but if we don't land a top one this class and it looks like Miller time would mostly lead to just drinking more beer in frustration we might need to get one with real experience.
What I can show you on panning out is this:

Luke Del Rio - dud
Austin Appleby - dud
Malik Zaire - dud
While Kyle Trask was repeatedly left to rot on the bench.

Jack Miller III - dud
While Kitna and Del Rio-Wilson were left to rot on the O&B bench.
Leading to Del Rio-Wilson going portal because of crappy xfer Miller III.

Hell, crappy Miller would never have even beat out Emory for the job, much less AR... But one crappy xfer-in a year is not good enough for you, you want a 2nd....

This is not just my speculation, but one QB xfer cluster after yet another....

My alternative is an incoming Fr QB that had better HS Sr stats than Tebow had, but you don't seem to want to address that...

Maybe I should do an in-depth eval of Browns highlight reel, on his different throws to different routes, and his runs?

As to seeing a full game against his toughest opponent, he only lost 1 game, for the 3A Championship. Max was the better QB, but the other guys had a slightly better team, especially their secondary.

As to the 2023 Class, it's a no worries mate condition imo.
Kitna / Brown will carry the load next season, only IF AR bolts.
Nappy needs to work on a top quality HS QB for 2024.

BTW, they still need to cut from the roster, not add more to it....

Last edited:
What I can show you on panning out is this:

Luke Del Rio - dud
Austin Appleby - dud
Malik Zaire - dud
While Kyle Trask was repeatedly left to rot on the bench.

Jack Miller III - dud
While Kitna and Del Rio-Wilson were left to rot on the O&B bench.
Leading to Del Rio-Wilson going portal because of crappy xfer Miller III.

Hell, crappy Miller would never have even beat out Emory for the job, much less AR... But one crappy xfer-in a year is not good enough for you, you want a 2nd....

This is not just my speculation, but one QB xfer cluster after yet another....

My alternative is an incoming Fr QB that had better HS Sr stats than Tebow had, but you don't seem to want to address that...

Maybe I should do an in-depth eval of Browns highlight reel, on his different throws to different routes, and his runs?

As to seeing a full game against his toughest opponent, he only lost 1 game, for the 3A Championship. Max was the better QB, but the other guys had a slightly better team, especially their secondary.

As to the 2023 Class, it's a no worries mate condition imo.
Kitna / Brown will carry the load next season, only IF AR bolts.
Nappy needs to work on a top quality HS QB for 2024.

BTW, they still need to cut from the roster, not add more to it....

Can't say that on Miller yet until we see him in real games though that spring game didn't do him any favors

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT