ADVERTISEMENT

Why Tampa shouldn't draft Winston

Russell Wilson was a 3rd rd pick and is better than Jameis will ever be. How is he going to be once he is rich? Jamarcus Russell Part 2. Fat and out of shape and then the NFL.

Originally posted by gatorshime:
Russell Wilson was a 3rd rd pick and is better than Jameis will ever be. How is he going to be once he is rich? Jamarcus Russell Part 2. Fat and out of shape and then the NFL.
Of course Russel Wilson is better than Winston right now, he's been in the NFL 4 or 5 years now?

Fat and out of shape with 20 a million dollar signing bonus sounds pretty sweet.

Another reality is that being a first round QB, let alone first overall, comes with a very high expectation. Even a moderately successful career can be a disappointment.

Originally posted by gatorshime:
Yikes

It says to me you're already somewhat lazy in the offseason now and you're broke, what type of work will you put in once you have a few million guaranteed?

Looks like JW read your post, oozie.

LINK: Jameis Winston runs gassers with the offensive linemen

Logan Mankins
is being propped as the new leader of the team's offense, or at least their offensive line. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers can't shut up about the way he's worked this offseason, supposedly resculpting his body and motivating the rest of the line to work harder and harder. Which is all well and good but, as noted before, won't matter one bit if Mankins can't actually play well on the field.

One thing Mankins has been doing is pushing the linemen to run gassers after practice, and whenever they make mental mistakes. But the linemen don't run alone: their new, young quarterback has started joining them. Yes, Jameis Winston now runs gassers with the offensive linemen when the line makes mistakes. All of that via JoeBucsFan:

Then suddenly, Mankins heard strange footsteps as he and the rest of the offensive linemen began stomping away.

And then Mankins heard a voice from the footsteps, "No, we're a team!" the voice said, as the non-offensive lineman began hoofing it with the linemen running the gassers.

Who was it? None other than "America's Quarterback," Bucs signal-caller Jameis Winston. Since then, every time the offensive line ran gassers for mistakes, Jameis ran right alongside.

This is just more confirmation of something we've known for a long time: Jameis Winston's work ethic and approach to the game are impeccable. If that were the only thing that determined NFL success, the Bucs have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
I knew I should have checked this thread sooner.

dannole, you are banned. Read the post noticed at the top of the board. If you don't like how Gator posters talk about Nole players, hang out at Warchant and watch Noles talk about Gator players the same way, and much worse than we allow here. Be sure to insult all the Nole posters for it. If you want to come back, and think you will be able to make some attempt to reduce the volume of your moral and ethical preachings, feel free to e-mail in a couple of weeks.

Igloo, you're about an eighth of an inch from being banned again, for a long time.

For the other Noles in this thread, read my lips: THIS IS NOT YOUR BOARD. I AM NOT KIDDING.

I still haven't read the thread closely, so more bannings may be coming.

Man, I miss this place!!!!

Looking back at this thread is some good reading. It turned out that Winston ended up being a bust when all was said and done.

Looking back at this thread is some good reading. It turned out that Winston ended up being a bust when all was said and done.

If his career ended tomorrow, he would be a bust. No question.

But going to New Orleans was a good move, if they can teach him how to throw the ball to the wrong team a bit less. There have been a few QB's who were like Winston, gunslingers with a tendency to throw INT's, who in the second half of their career settled down and found success, so the jury is still out. But right now 11 are voting bust and the other one is wavering, so he needs to bring some new evidence in his favor.

If his career ended tomorrow, he would be a bust. No question.

But going to New Orleans was a good move, if they can teach him how to throw the ball to the wrong team a bit less. There have been a few QB's who were like Winston, gunslingers with a tendency to throw INT's, who in the second half of their career settled down and found success, so the jury is still out. But right now 11 are voting bust and the other one is wavering, so he needs to bring some new evidence in his favor.
Yes he is a TO machine and too careless with the ball. That would be priority #1 that needs to be fixed. I agree at least as of right now the Saints aren’t a bad team to end up on but that could change quickly because it is the NFL and teams go from good to bad in a hurry and vice versa.

Yes he is a TO machine and too careless with the ball. That would be priority #1 that needs to be fixed. I agree at least as of right now the Saints aren’t a bad team to end up on but that could change quickly because it is the NFL and teams go from good to bad in a hurry and vice versa.
Favre was a TO machine too, but they won. If Winston went 30 for 30 (30 TDs, 30 INTS and 5K yards), but took them to the play-offs, would this be a discussion? I don't know.

Brett Favre vs Jameis Winston - Stats

Last edited:
Favre was a TO machine too, but they won. If Winston went 30 for 30 (30 TDs, 30 INTS and 5K yards), but took them to the play-offs, would this be a discussion? I don't know.

It's about more than stats. Winston doesn't just throw too many int's, he throws them at critical moments. Favre was famous for throwing the Pack into holes with int's, then digging them back out with 4th quarter heroics. 4th quarter GW touchdowns make up for a lot of sins.

Favre threw his fair share of pics but he also was an 11 time pro bowler and won a Super Bowl. Winston just doesn’t throw picks but he throws pick 6s. Favre is also mentally much tougher than Winston.

Comparing Winston to Favre is laughable at best as well.

Somehow, Jameis Winston has thrown more career interceptions than Aaron Rodgers.

Let’s run it all down:

Winston, the first overall pick in the 2015 draft, has thrown 88 career interceptions. Rodgers, the 24th overall pick in the 2005 draft, has thrown 84.

Winston has played in 71 career games. Rodgers has played in 181.

Winston has attempted 2,543 career passes. Rodgers has attempted 6,061.

In 2019, Winston threw an NFL-high 30 interceptions. Over the last five seasons, or since Winston joined the NFL in 2015, Rodgers has thrown 27 total interceptions. Winston’s 30 interceptions represent over a third of Rodgers’ career total.

Over the last two seasons, Winston tossed an NFL-high eight pick-sixes. Rodgers had six totalinterceptions the last two seasons and only two career pick-sixes.

Winston averaged 17.6 interceptions per season during his five seasons as the Buccaneers starter, while Rodgers has never thrown more than 13 interceptions in a single season (2008, his first season as the starter).

Winston became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw 30 touchdown passes and 30 interceptions in a single season, while Rodgers holds the NFL record for touchdown-to-interception ratio. Winston’s career interception percentage is almost three times as high as Rodgers’.

Winston has thrown at least 10 interceptions five straight seasons to start his NFL career, while Rodgers is riding a streak of nine straight seasons with eight or fewer interceptions. The last time Rodgers threw double-digit interceptions in a season was 2010, when Winston was 16 years old and a high school player in Alabama.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT