ADVERTISEMENT

Ugh, the SEC is hard enough....

Maybe, but the 2 most arrogant fan bases in the Midwest and Central part of the country are Notre Dame and Michigan - by far. Both fan bases think that the CF world revolves around them

And honestly, I think that OSU thumps their asse$ this year anyways, OSU - realistically - is the only Big Ten team that has the firepower and talent to play with or take down an SEC team. Still haven't figured out how Michigan beat OSU - probably better coaches.

I think the two teams that are pi$$ed are Alabama and OSU and it would not surprise me to see them playing for the NC.

OSU has to toughen up as they let Michigan punch them in the mouth pretty hard recently.

Looks like no ACC teams are leaving quite yet. They will have to wait another year. I don’t think many of those programs are wanted by any other conferences right now so it is going to likely hold things up. It doesn’t appear the SEC or Big 10 really want a Miami, Clemson, FSU, UNC at this time.

OSU has to toughen up as they let Michigan punch them in the mouth pretty hard recently.
Agree with this. OSU had 2nd half leads on both Michigan and Georgia and their margarine-soft defense collapsed again. That 14 point lead and 4th quarter collapse against georgia - losing 42-41 was epic and really deflated their fan base.

I think the 2 big unknowns going into 2023 are the Alabama QB and OSU defensive situations. If both can figure it out, we can very well see an Alabama - OSU NC game with Alabama winning 35-31. I just think both programs feel they have a lot to prove

Reactions: Gator Fever
Looks like no ACC teams are leaving quite yet. They will have to wait another year. I don’t think many of those programs are wanted by any other conferences right now so it is going to likely hold things up. It doesn’t appear the SEC or Big 10 really want a Miami, Clemson, FSU, UNC at this time.

No reason for the SEC to take anyone but maybe UNC but if they are only an option with Duke not sure it's worth it to the other teams if they get equal distribution.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Miami won't be taken by the Big Ten or SEC as that program can't even come close to filling their stadium. Yes, Miami is a huge market but...........

I think the buyouts and the assignment of rights to the league through 2036 are preventing ACC teams from leaving.

Have to give the ACC admin credit for locking the schools up like that. As for the member schools, I don’t know how you sign away distribution rights to your brand for TWENTY YEARS, but good job negotiating by the league.

I think the buyouts and the assignment of rights to the league through 2036 are preventing ACC teams from leaving.

Have to give the ACC admin credit for locking the schools up like that. As for the member schools, I don’t know how you sign away distribution rights to your brand for TWENTY YEARS, but good job negotiating by the league.
It's called STUPIDITY.

Miami won't be taken by the Big Ten or SEC as that program can't even come close to filling their stadium. Yes, Miami is a huge market but...........
This is the thing other sections of the country don't understand. It doesn't matter how big your population is, it's the population of college football fans that matters.

Looking forward to half-empty Big-10 stadiums when their schedules are full of schools they don't give a crap about from two time zones away.

This is the thing other sections of the country don't understand. It doesn't matter how big your population is, it's the population of college football fans that matters.

Looking forward to half-empty Big-10 stadiums when their schedules are full of schools they don't give a crap about from two time zones away.
Today's CF money is about TV eyeballs and while the Big Ten is in many major NFL markets (Sunday), many will tune in on Saturday to watch CF. The TV networks aren't throwing that massive money at the Big Ten just to be nice - they know what they're doing

The networks won't be putting on low Big Ten teams but the biggies like OSU, Michigan, PSU etc... and those teams will bring in the eyeballs no matter who they're playing

Last edited:
Today's CF money is about TV eyeballs and while the Big Ten is in many major NFL markets (Sunday), many will tune in on Saturday to watch CF. The TV networks aren't throwing that massive money at the Big Ten just to be nice - they know what they're doing

The networks won't be putting on low Big Ten teams but the biggies like OSU, Michigan, PSU etc... and those teams will bring in the eyeballs no matter who they're playing
Getting bigger won't bring any more eyeballs then they have now, but it will mean splitting the money more ways.

The thing with the Big 10 is they added some schools and some good schools that are likely decent additions (USC/Oregon) at that but it doesn’t make Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue or Wisconsin anymore interesting or attractive. Those are still dud programs no matter which way you slice it.

Yes the Big 10 was the 2nd best conference in football prior to all of this realignment but let’s be honest I think only Ohio St and Michigan have won a national title in the last 2 decades out of that conference. It’s not like the conference was killing it.

The thing with the Big 10 is they added some schools and some good schools that are likely decent additions (USC/Oregon) at that but it doesn’t make Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue or Wisconsin anymore interesting or attractive. Those are still dud programs no matter which way you slice it.

Yes the Big 10 was the 2nd best conference in football prior to all of this realignment but let’s be honest I think only Ohio St and Michigan have won a national title in the last 2 decades out of that conference. It’s not like the conference was killing it.
I don't think anyone is arguing about the SEC being king in football but what many are missing is how many national championships the Big Ten - especially the new Big ten in 2024 - have in all sports....women included. I read a list and the top three - BY FAR - were Stanford, UCLA, and USC who all had something like 110 to 130 national championship teams. The closest one to those three had 60. I believe I read that there were 6 or 7 other Big Ten schools in the top 30 or something like that..... far more than any other conference

And although Stanford has dominated the Director's Cup the last few decades, the Big Ten has several schools in the top 10 listing with yearly top 10 finishes. Kudos to both Florida and Texas as they're right there with outstanding overall sports programs.

I guess the point is that many on here are dismissing the Big Ten as a Mickey Mouse sports conference and nothing could be farther from the truth.

I don't think anyone is arguing about the SEC being king in football but what many are missing is how many national championships the Big Ten - especially the new Big ten in 2024 - have in all sports....women included. I read a list and the top three - BY FAR - were Stanford, UCLA, and USC who all had something like 110 to 130 national championship teams. The closest one to those three had 60. I believe I read that there were 6 or 7 other Big Ten schools in the top 30 or something like that..... far more than any other conference

And although Stanford has dominated the Director's Cup the last few decades, the Big Ten has several schools in the top 10 listing with yearly top 10 finishes. Kudos to both Florida and Texas as they're right there with outstanding overall sports programs.

I guess the point is that many on here are dismissing the Big Ten as a Mickey Mouse sports conference and nothing could be farther from the truth.
Ugh… nobody said it was a Mickey Mouse conference. It’s obviously one of the top 2.

I’m pretty sure the SEC is really good in Director’s Cup as well. SEC isn’t just a football conference obviously and they have a pretty good tradition/history in being good in other sports as well.

CONFERENCE
At the conference level, the SEC leads all Division I conferences with eight institutions in the top-25 – Florida (5th), Tennessee (6th), Georgia (7th), LSU (9th), Alabama (12th), Arkansas (13th), Kentucky (18th) and Texas A&M (24th).

SEC dominates the top 10 as well

PS - Stanford isn’t in the Big 10 nor have they been invited.

Last edited:

Clarification: Mickey Mouse football conference.

Ugh… nobody said it was a Mickey Mouse conference. It’s obviously one of the top 2.

I’m pretty sure the SEC is really good in Director’s Cup as well. SEC isn’t just a football conference obviously and they have a pretty good tradition/history in being good in other sports as well.

CONFERENCE
At the conference level, the SEC leads all Division I conferences with eight institutions in the top-25 – Florida (5th), Tennessee (6th), Georgia (7th), LSU (9th), Alabama (12th), Arkansas (13th), Kentucky (18th) and Texas A&M (24th).

SEC dominates the top 10 as well
Not arguing with you about the SEC being outstanding in all sports but my point was that the Big Ten is every bit as good - in all sports outside of football - as the SEC and many just refuse to acknowledge it. With the addition of UCLA and USC, the Big Ten will have 5 of the top 9 in 2024 with top 10 all-time Director Cup top ten finishes

This is the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread. The BIG is an outstanding athletic conference. Adding Oregon, Washington and the LA schools won't help it from a football revenue or competitiveness standpoint. Neither would adding Miami. Although as a sidenote Miami would be 3rd in 5 year average attendance if it were in the Pac 12. Texas and OU were the crown jewels so to speak in the conference realignment. As to the other sports, all 4 of those schools will help the BIG with competitiveness. I tell you what, the BIG just got way more competitive when it comes to baseball...I wasn't trying to insult the BIG, as in the end it did what it had to and will be one of the top 2 conferences. I still think they should gooble up ND.

You gotta love it. Big 10 is good at more than just football and the SEC is only good at football.

Oops…there is more SEC teams in the top 10 and the top 25 in the Directors Cup Standings than any other conference.

I think a lot of people overlook how good the SEC is at other sports probably because football gets the most attention.

Reactions: bradleygator
Clarification: Mickey Mouse football conference.
OSU is not a Mickey Mouse football program. They lost to Georgia last year - 42 to 41 - but came within a missed last second FG of probably winning the NC. And if they can figure out how to play defense, they could very well win it in 2023

OSU is not a Mickey Mouse football program.
Beg to differ…

b8ad4e3ca963bf84e3bf31e9702c841d.jpg

I don't even watch OSU, UM, PSU when they're playing each other, let alone when they play other B1G teams and I'm not the only one like that. B1G is boring.

Reactions: seffnergator
Sounds like Stanford is telling the ACC they will join them and take no TV money for like 2 years and then a reduced amount. I know they have tons of donor money but it still makes no sense for them to be constantly traveling cross country. Better just to merge with a conference out there already.

Reactions: rrdd2021
Sounds like Stanford is telling the ACC they will join them and take no TV money for like 2 years and then a reduced amount. I know they have tons of donor money but it still makes no sense for them to be constantly traveling cross country. Better just to merge with a conference out there already.
The question is does the SEC or Big Ten want them. They offer very little with the eyeball test and have a very hard time filling their stadium. Same can be said with California. Their biggest issue in joining the ACC is will that conference even be around in 3 to 4 years

The question is does the SEC or Big Ten want them. They offer very little with the eyeball test and have a very hard time filling their stadium. Same can be said with California. Their biggest issue in joining the ACC is will that conference even be around in 3 to 4 years

I think the only states the SEC is interested in now would be NC and VA if the ACC started losing teams. I don't see the SEC taking NC and Duke though if it's true they don't want to be split up.

No way does the Big 10 or SEC want Stanford.

We used to have hubris like this. But only after we actually won something.
The other fan bases out there that are jealous of the winningest program of all-time - the University of Michigan - is over the top. Just send the 2023 NC trophy to Ann Arbor now

Oh, forgot to add, UM is also a top 5 academic institution. It just doesn't get any better.

Last edited:
I’m surprised nobody wants Stanford. About as good an academic brand as there is and pretty competitive sports. Plus in the SF market. Seems like a good fit for the Big 10.

The other fan bases out there that are jealous of the winningest program of all-time - the University of Michigan - is over the top. Just send the 2023 NC trophy to Ann Arbor now

Oh, forgot to add, UM is also a top 5 academic institution. It just doesn't get any better.
Remind me…when was your last NC and what was it in?

Remind me…when was your last NC and what was it in?
If you're talking football title, that was a .5(one half of a title, not undisputed) title which they split with Nebraska. IMO, if Spurrier put the entire team on Fred Taylor's shoulders during the 1997 season, we'd beat Nebraska or Meatchicken for an undisputed national championship.

This is wrong. The plan was never 2024, always 25 and 26 and the big 10 wants fsu and Clemson. This is very well known among fsu boosters/higher ups. August 15th was the deadline for 2024 but 2024 was not the plan because of a few "issues". Some thought we might announce before Aug 15th but I was told if we announced we might not have been able to vote against cal and Stanford which would have created issues for us leaving the acc. In fact, I was told that was a last ditch effort to "muddy the waters" so teams couldn't leave. Look at the four who voted no, that is your clue on who is leaving.

These things take time, it's not like you just call up and say yes. Could I see a scenario where we don't switch? Sure. That could happen. We have been talking to the big for almost a yr though. I was told it takes 12 to 24 months and especially longer if hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake. Fsu and Clemson are leaving the acc, it is not a matter of if, but when. I would say there is a zero percent chance that fsu is in the acc in 2027.

Last edited:
If you're talking football title, that was a .5(one half of a title, not undisputed) title which they split with Nebraska. IMO, if Spurrier put the entire team on Fred Taylor's shoulders during the 1997 season, we'd beat Nebraska or Meatchicken for an undisputed national championship.
Could be. That Nebraska option was pretty strong with Scott Frost and Ahman Green. I actually went to that orange bowl and they completely hammered Peyton and UT to the point where legit the juiced up hillbillies were almost in tears about Tom Osborne running up the score in Mannings last game. It was hilarious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT