ADVERTISEMENT

Ugh, the SEC is hard enough....

Big10 will hold at 18 until we figure out if the ACC is going to collapse. If that's the case, then you'll probably see the SEC go ahead and take Clemson and FSU.

Expecting the Big12 to add Arizona, Arizona State and Utah to go with Colorado. If a total collapse happens and those three go to 20 teams, then I'll expect the Big10 to add Syracuse and one of Pitt/Virginia/Louisville.

SEC probably adds Miami and VTech.

Could see the Big12 then adding Washington State, Oregon State, GTech and Louisville (if UL doesn't go to the Big10.).

I think the ACC would have to grab teams to stay relevant and add Liberty, LaTech, JSU, and maybe even WKU.

PAC-? Adds schools for markets and grabs Hawaii, Boise State, Utah State, Nevada, UNLV, New Mexico, NMSU, SMU, CSU, Air Force, Wyoming, to go along with Cal, Stanford, SDSU, San Jose, and Fresno.

It’s amusing how FSU is trying to whine and bully it’s way out of the acc with literally zero leverage…

It would be funny as hell if the SEC and B1G eventually told them to go piss up a rope…

We have been talking to the big since last September. We have a spot 100%. They can't come out and say it since we are in a contract. We are not going to the sec. I'm not sure if they are going to announce before Aug 15th or before next yrs Aug 15th. I've been told the target date is 2025 but 2026 seems more likely

Last edited:
How big is the Big 10 willing to get? Oregon and WA are heading there now apparently.
The big 10 wants 20 teams. The last 2 are fsu and Clemson. Apparently they said they would be willing to expand to 24 if the right 4 other teams showed up but that would HAVE to include ND. They won't expand for shit bags like NC state or Miami

• Wow
Reactions: Gator Fever
Big10 will hold at 18 until we figure out if the ACC is going to collapse. If that's the case, then you'll probably see the SEC go ahead and take Clemson and FSU.

Expecting the Big12 to add Arizona, Arizona State and Utah to go with Colorado. If a total collapse happens and those three go to 20 teams, then I'll expect the Big10 to add Syracuse and one of Pitt/Virginia/Louisville.

SEC probably adds Miami and VTech.

Could see the Big12 then adding Washington State, Oregon State, GTech and Louisville (if UL doesn't go to the Big10.).

I think the ACC would have to grab teams to stay relevant and add Liberty, LaTech, JSU, and maybe even WKU.

PAC-? Adds schools for markets and grabs Hawaii, Boise State, Utah State, Nevada, UNLV, New Mexico, NMSU, SMU, CSU, Air Force, Wyoming, to go along with Cal, Stanford, SDSU, San Jose, and Fresno.

Imo adding those teams to the SEC won't improve each SEC team's payout when it comes to future deals being negotiated. TX and OK will but I don't think FSU or Clemson would.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Imo adding those teams to the SEC won't improve each SEC team's payout when it comes to future deals being negotiated. TX and OK will but I don't think FSU or Clemson would.

Agreed. But we've entered the final countdown. We'll add them to keep them from the Big10. That would be two more markets for them. That's why we would also, if we go to 20, take VTech and probably a Carolina school, for the markets.

It is what it is. Big10 is going to end up with more money than us other their coast-to-coast market now, you almost have to consider taking Miami, GTech and Louisville into the league as well just to keep them away from the Big10.

I don't like it but I'm serious. We don't really have anywhere to expand to outside of North Carolina and Virginia. The Big10 played this game better than us.

Hmmm I’d let the Big10 have GT, Miami and Louisville if they really want them. My guess is the big 10 doesn’t want them either and those 3 schools end up in the Big 12 at best. The SEC is going to look at the Virginia and North Carolina states and look at UNC and Virginia as the top 2 choices but may have to take VT and Duke as well to make it a package deal which VT and Duke wouldn’t do much for me.

Love them or hate them but the SEC pulling in Texas was about the biggest move/adder that could have been done. There wasn’t a bigger move out there than that.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
The big 10 wants 20 teams. The last 2 are fsu and Clemson. Apparently they said they would be willing to expand to 24 if the right 4 other teams showed up but that would HAVE to include ND. They won't expand for shit bags like NC state or Miami
I've followed this B1G expansion and it sounds like it could be 24 down the road. the key one that they want is Notre Dame.

TV equates to CF money and profits, and with the addition of Portland and Seattle today, the Big Ten will now control over 50% of the CF eyeballs in their markets - that's their strategy and it's staggering.

Start with NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, D.C, Baltimore, Detroit, Milwaukee, Columbus, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Los Angelas, and I know I've left out a few more. Those are all multi-million markets. Now they've got Seattle and Portland. Huge money for the conference members. They're not adding teams just to get bigger - it's most definitely about $$$$$. Miami - with their putrid support - will not be invited

So Notre Dame doesn't want to join a conference, but something no one seems to be talking about is that as these conferences expand...18-20 teams, the independent status makes no sense.

Every traditional team they play from the Big10 and Pac12 are now combined. When you have 18-20 teams on a conference, they'll have to play a 10 to 12 game conference schedule.

Who is Notre Dame going to play?

They're being very short sighted on this.

Hmmm I’d let the Big10 have GT, Miami and Louisville if they really want them. My guess is the big 10 doesn’t want them either and those 3 schools end up in the Big 12 at best. The SEC is going to look at the Virginia and North Carolina states and look at UNC and Virginia as the top 2 choices but may have to take VT and Duke as well to make it a package deal which VT and Duke wouldn’t do much for me.

Love them or hate them but the SEC pulling in Texas was about the biggest move/adder that could have been done. There wasn’t a bigger move out there than that.
Disagree. People need to quit thinking about the name of the programs and concentrate on CF eyeballs on TV - or MONEY and PROFITS. Bigger than that was the Big Ten strategy on the West Coast and pulling in USC and UCLA which initially gave them the L.A market and inroads into the whole darn West Coast. which after today with the addition of Portland and Seattle, is now a reality. Keep in mind, Texas U - although the flagship school - has to somewhat share the state with a handful of other schools

So Notre Dame doesn't want to join a conference, but something no one seems to be talking about is that as these conferences expand...18-20 teams, the independent status makes no sense.

Every traditional team they play from the Big10 and Pac12 are now combined. When you have 18-20 teams on a conference, they'll have to play a 10 to 12 game conference schedule.

Who is Notre Dame going to play?

They're being very short sighted on this.
You hit the nail on the head - ND will have no choice but to join a conference - probably the Big Ten - if they want to stay relevant, especially with their future schedules. They're just being stubborn, arrogant a-holes right now

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Disagree. People need to quit thinking about the name of the programs and concentrate on CF eyeballs on TV - or MONEY and PROFITS. Bigger than that was the Big Ten strategy on the West Coast and pulling in USC and UCLA which initially gave them the L.A market and inroads into the whole darn West Coast. which after today with the addition of Portland and Seattle, is now a reality. Keep in mind, Texas U - although the flagship school - has to somewhat share the state with a handful of other schools

Depends on the school also. Some big markets the people are more likely to be watching the bigger game than the closest school.

Hmmm Texas probably has the most money than any program in the country. Whether you like them or not they are the biggest pull you could make of anyone in the country not already in the SEC or Big 10. I mean they have their own TV network for crying out loud. Yes USC has the LA allure but California and LA don’t really care about college athletics that much. It’s a professional sports state/city.

Does anyone in LA watch college football? Texas and OU were much bigger gets. UCLA draws what, 40k fans? USC draws more but still basically mid tier for a power 5.

If you don't understand that it's about markets, then you haven't been paying attention for a decade.

The Big10 is about to be able to have football games on from the early morning to the late evening without terrible overlap. They go East coast to West coast.

The Big12 is going to have that as well.

Not the SEC though. We'll have a very regional group.

There's going to be more money l, and we are in an arms race.

Oregon and Washington joined for half the revenue the other B1G schools get. We are at the point where the revenue pool is diluted by division. When you combine that with the ACC exit fee and grant of rights, you can conclude that the “expansion” thing has reached its max. At least under the current tv deals.

They joined for half because the other half is going to pay our exit fee lol we are about to use Oregon and Washington Moneey in the big to escape to the big

They joined for half because the other half is going to pay our exit fee lol we are about to use Oregon and Washington Moneey in the big to escape to the big
They joined for half because if they didn’t join then they wouldn’t be in a competitive conference at all because there is nothing left of the Pac-12. They had no choice but to get out because the alternative wasn’t a good one for their future. Everybody is running from the PAC-12 right now and will leave for just about anything.

If you don't understand that it's about markets, then you haven't been paying attention for a decade.

The Big10 is about to be able to have football games on from the early morning to the late evening without terrible overlap. They go East coast to West coast.

The Big12 is going to have that as well.

Not the SEC though. We'll have a very regional group.

There's going to be more money l, and we are in an arms race.
BINGO ! Why is this so hard for some to comprehend?

I just read that - with the addition of Portland and Seattle - the Big Ten now controls 51% of the CF markets - population. LET THAT SINK IN! That's just one conference. Start with NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Los Angelas, Pittsburgh, D.C. Baltimore, Detroit, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Milwaukee and on and on. I know I've probably missed a couple more. Those are all multi-million markets. The Big Ten will be on TV form morning to late night - coast to coast. Those guys are killing it and aren't done yet

Reactions: goldmom
It’s now about matchups not markets. Yes, the B1G has two of the biggest markets in NYC and DC. Absolutely no one is clamoring to watch Rutgers vs Maryland. When the ACC accepted BC, they bragged about getting the Boston market, but didn’t think of the fact no one in Boston (or the NE for that matter) cares a lick about cfb.

It’s now about matchups not markets. Yes, the B1G has two of the biggest markets in NYC and DC. Absolutely no one is clamoring to watch Rutgers vs Maryland. When the ACC accepted BC, they bragged about getting the Boston market, but didn’t think of the fact no one in Boston (or the NE for that matter) cares a lick about cfb.
You're missing the point. Rutgers will bring in teams like OSU, Michigan, MSU, and Penn State which really gets the eyeballs in the NJ-NYC area. In fact, OSU played at Rutgers 3 or 4 years ago and the TV ratings on Saturday went through the roof. It was the most watched CF regular season game in N.Y.C history.

Oregon and Washington joined for half the revenue the other B1G schools get. We are at the point where the revenue pool is diluted by division. When you combine that with the ACC exit fee and grant of rights, you can conclude that the “expansion” thing has reached its max. At least under the current tv deals.

I didn't know that about WA and OR. I agree it doesn't make sense for the SEC to add FSU or Clemson. If the ACC did fall apart maybe someone like NC would make sense.

You're missing the point. Rutgers will bring in teams like OSU, Michigan, MSU, and Penn State which really gets the eyeballs in the NJ-NYC area. In fact, OSU played at Rutgers 3 or 4 years ago and the TV ratings on Saturday went through the roof. It was the most watched CF regular season game in N.Y.C history.

That is why OSU @ Rutgers games are aired on the BTN and not even the national networks. No one nationally where the big ratings come from cares about a game like that.

That is why OSU @ Rutgers games are aired on the BTN and not even the national networks. No one nationally where the big ratings come from cares about a game like that.
Not arguing but the point is to bring in the local TV audience whether it's on BTN or national. My point is NYC's interest in CF is up since Rutgers entered the Big Ten and much of it has to do with marquee teams like OSU and especially PSU who draws a ton on the East Coast.

Like it or not, the Big Ten gobbling up all of the MAJOR national markets is concerning to the rest of CF.........they're right around 50% now.

Last edited:
Not arguing but the point is to bring in the local TV audience whether it's on BTN or national. My point is NYC's interest in CF is up since Rutgers entered the Big Ten and much of it has to do with marquee teams like OSU and especially PSU who draws a ton on the East Coast.

Like it or not, the Big Ten gobbling up all of the MAJOR national markets is concerning to the rest of CF.........they're right around 50% now.
Something tells sadgator that Greg Sankey ain’t too worrried about Indiana v. Maryland airing in Los Angeles….

The tv market thing is overrated…

Something tells sadgator that Greg Sankey ain’t too worrried about Indiana v. Maryland airing in Los Angeles….

The tv market thing is overrated
Well, of course not. You're using extremes and it probably won't be on TV at all. Good God. How about OSU vs USC ? The Big Ten will now be on TV from the early afternoon till well into Saturday evening - coast to coast - they've never had this kind of national exposure before

And TV markets are overrated ? Here's a news flash ----TV is the driving force and controls CF and it's projected the the Big Ten will be shelling out $90 to 100 million by 2025 - 2026 to its members and guess where that money is coming from? Yep, TV and those overrated markets.

Reactions: fsu939913
Over-inflated value.

Can’t wait to see the overnight ratings in Seattle for Iowa v. Illinois….

paul-lynde-whoop-de-doo.gif

We have been talking to the big since last September. We have a spot 100%. They can't come out and say it since we are in a contract. We are not going to the sec. I'm not sure if they are going to announce before Aug 15th or before next yrs Aug 15th. I've been told the target date is 2025 but 2026 seems more likely
Is Clemson in the same situation as FSU in regards to joining B1G?

Well, of course not. You're using extremes and it probably won't be on TV at all. Good God. How about OSU vs USC ? The Big Ten will now be on TV from the early afternoon till well into Saturday evening - coast to coast - they've never had this kind of national exposure before

And TV markets are overrated ? Here's a news flash ----TV is the driving force and controls CF and it's projected the the Big Ten will be shelling out $90 to 100 million by 2025 - 2026 to its members and guess where that money is coming from? Yep, TV and those overrated markets.
It's ratings not markets. My bet is on Saturday more people in the state of Alabama spend all day watching CFB than they do in NYC, Portland etc. If it was all about markets then professional soccer would be way more popular. Ratings drive TV dollar value. Big 10 has done a great job of staying relevant and this thing it going to be a two conference race.

Is Clemson in the same situation as FSU in regards to joining B1G?

Honestly, I've always thought they were. The big wants fsu and Clemson to be the final 2 teams to make 20. If not Clemson than UNC.

ND is the wild card, if they pull a 180 and say they want in, that's where things could get interesting. I've always heard both Clemson and fsu were going to "move together"

I've heard heard they want fsu and Miami as well (a good Florida market) but they would rather have Clemson

Honestly, I've always thought they were. The big wants fsu and Clemson to be the final 2 teams to make 20. If not Clemson than UNC.

ND is the wild card, if they pull a 180 and say they want in, that's where things could get interesting. I've always heard both Clemson and fsu were going to "move together"
I've also read that there's a possibility that the Big Ten could go to 24 teams. A ton of possibilities TBD yet.

Reactions: fsu939913
You hit the nail on the head - ND will have no choice but to join a conference - probably the Big Ten - if they want to stay relevant, especially with their future schedules. They're just being stubborn, arrogant a-holes right now

• Former coach at Notre Dame, Pete Cordelli under Lou Holtz, was talking about this on the Bill King radio show this past Friday morning. He actually said that the SEC would be a better fit for Notre Dame instead of the SEC and he could see it happening one day.
This guy knows a lot and has hilarious stories on Friday mornings with Bill King. He told a story about when Lou Holtz was a defensive coach at Ohio State under Woody Hayes. They were playing against Southern Cal and O.J. Simpson. USC is on their own 20 and O J. breaks off a 80yard touchdown run. Woody Hayes is furious and goes up to Holtz and says "why did he run 80 yards for a touchdown?". Holtz says "because they were on the 20 coach. If they had been on the 10 he would have run 90 yards " 😁

• Former coach at Notre Dame, Pete Cordelli under Lou Holtz, was talking about this on the Bill King radio show this past Friday morning. He actually said that the SEC would be a better fit for Notre Dame instead of the SEC and he could see it happening one day.
This guy knows a lot and has hilarious stories on Friday mornings with Bill King. He told a story about when Lou Holtz was a defensive coach at Ohio State under Woody Hayes. They were playing against Southern Cal and O.J. Simpson. USC is on their own 20 and O J. breaks off a 80yard touchdown run. Woody Hayes is furious and goes up to Holtz and says "why did he run 80 yards for a touchdown?". Holtz says "because they were on the 20 coach. If they had been on the 10 he would have run 90 yards " 😁
sadgator listened to that. Cordelli was entertaining.

It cannot be understated the amount of info and importance of what is discussed on that show…

Huge fan…

http://wnsr.com/live-shows/the-bill-king-show

Reactions: wwforest
They joined for half because if they didn’t join then they wouldn’t be in a competitive conference at all because there is nothing left of the Pac-12. They had no choice but to get out because the alternative wasn’t a good one for their future. Everybody is running from the PAC-12 right now and will leave for just about anything.
The Rose Bowl may be the biggest loser in all of this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT