ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on this Florida team moving onto 2024......

"A Florida defense that has allowed an average of 32.25 points and 423.25 yards and has missed 10.75 tackles per game since Week 5, that is now without its leader in tackles in linebacker Shemar James."
But at least there's no 3rd & Grantham, or the offensive incompetence of a cousin Eddie...
😉

Meanwhile, Billy just got another fine OL commit, this time it's a top notch PWO instead of just another 3-4 star.... His recruiting prowess is for sure turning around that weak OL for the incoming wonder QB Lagway next season.... 🙄
And oh BTW....
QB-dt Max Brown 2023 Stats: 6 of 7, 85.7% for 50 Yds, 0 Int, 0 sack, RTG 145.7

PS
This game vs 2-6 Ar-kansas is the Gator's last hope for being eligible to be picked to lose in yet another early Dec. chump bowl with a 6-6 record.....
So a whopping 8.5 ypp for Brown, now I'm impressed and excited, make the change now!

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
So a whopping 8.5 ypp for Brown, now I'm impressed and excited, make the change now!
Why did you leave out Brown's 85.7% completion percentage? 🙄

And you also left out his 7.8 ypc with 1,343 Yds with 20 TD's to ZERO fumbles rushing his Sr Year of HS while being awarded the Okla 3A MVP.
Do you not believe that a dual threat QB would do better behind the current OL than a slow sack statue???

Mertz 5 Year career passing average is 7.3 Yds,
At UF alone it's 8.1, but with 26 sacks, with a current QBR of 68.8
While his rushing at UF is -1.9 ypc....

And I agree with you, this season is already in the toilet, so it's time to move on to the dual thread QB's, Brown & Lesie, and with Lagway on the way,,,, IF he sticks to his commit....

Last edited:
Why did you leave out Brown's 85% completion percentage? 🙄

And you also left out his 7.8 ypc with 1,343 Yds with 20 TD's to ZERO fumbles rushing his Sr Year of HS while being awarded the Okla 3A MVP.
Do you not believe that a dual threat QB would do better behind the current OL than a slow sack statue???

Mertz 5 Year career passing average is 7.3 Yds,
At UF alone it's 8.1, but with 26 sacks, with a current QBR of 68.8
While his rushing at UF is -1.9 ypc....

And I agree with you, this season is already in the toilet, so it's time to move on to the dual thread QB's, Brown & Lesie, and with Lagway on the way,,,, IF he sticks to his commit....

With Napier's offense I think an 85% completion rate would be possible over a season.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
Like I have said earlier that Mertz isnt the problem and maybe some of you who watch the game must be watching on a 19 inch or a black white TV. He put 33 points on the board and that should win most games with a decent defense and special teams. Switching to another QB is NOT gonna help with the problems we have with the OL, defensive brain farts and special teams problems.

Opinions vary,,,, ALWAYS.....

So what....

I don't GaS what you think of mine, and that's likely a vice-versa.....

Last edited:
Nothing personal from me on Graham,,,, or on Billy either for that matter.
Both seem to be decent human beings, from the little that I can see of them in public.
However, they are currently 5-4 and looking to be 5-7 after 3 more games.

If everyone is good with that and where it's going, I'm old enough, and I've seen enough, that the 'It Don't Matter' bs surrounding a game that means NOTHING in the real world.............

Oh spew,,, as Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say,,, Nev-ver Mine......

Reactions: Gator Fever
No I am not happy where we are right now. But Mertz, Pearsall and a few others continue to fight. Mertz’ battle just to remain upright on most plays is valiant. If he had just an average amount of time to deliver his passes who knows what kind of numbers he would put up.

Nothing personal from me on Graham,,,, or on Billy either for that matter.
Both seem to be decent human beings, from the little that I can see of them in public.
However, they are currently 5-4 and looking to be 5-7 after 3 more games.

If everyone is good with that and where it's going, I'm old enough, and I've seen enough, that the 'It Don't Matter' bs surrounding a game that means NOTHING in the real world.............

Oh spew,,, as Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say,,, Nev-ver Mine......

I really hope Napier makes it and turns things around and hopefully we can get a win to make a bowl game which would take a little heat off of him right now but that fact is there has never been a coach in the modern era I am aware of that turned out to be an SEC championship or college football playoff level coach that had 3 mediocre full seasons to start things off. I believe all of them had shown something (8-4 and maybe even 9-3+ regular season) in at least one of those first full 3 seasons. He 100% gets all of next season to turn things around but you cant keep someone around if there is no chance to get to that level no matter the payout. I think his insane payout is 26 million if he was fired at the end of 2024 - its 31 million I think right now. We have the talent to be a 12 team playoff contender next season if the team is coached up. With our schedule 9-3 will have you right in the middle of that conversation for one of the final spots. I think he should be fired if he fails to go 8-4 next season but the reality might be it would take another 6-6 season for them to fire him.

I really hope Napier makes it and turns things around and hopefully we can get a win to make a bowl game which would take a little heat off of him right now but that fact is there has never been a coach in the modern era I am aware of that turned out to be an SEC championship or college football playoff level coach that had 3 mediocre full seasons to start things off. I believe all of them had shown something (8-4 and maybe even 9-3+ regular season) in at least one of those first 3 seasons. He 100% gets all of next season to turn things around but you cant keep someone around if there is no chance to get to that level no matter the payout. I think his insane payout is 26 million if he was fired at the end of 2024 - its 31 million I think right now. We have the talent to be a 12 team playoff contender next season if the team is coached up. With our schedule 9-3 will have you right in the middle of that conversation for one of the final spots. I think he should be fired if he fails to go 8-4 next season but the reality might be it would take another 6-6 season for them to fire him.
$26 million after next season. I think regardless, Napier is here till at least 2025.

Reactions: emekz1
$26 million after next season. I think regardless, Napier is here till at least 2025.

If history is any indication he won't be. No modern championship level expecting team that was a member of the SEC at the time has allowed a coach to make it to year 4 without having an 8-4+ regular season in there the first 3 seasons. Those teams include Florida, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and A&M.

Last edited:
If history is any indication he won't be. No modern championship level expecting team that was a member of the SEC at the time has allowed a coach to make it to year 4 without having an 8-4+ regular season in there the first 3 seasons. Those teams include Florida, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and A&M.
agree with this

If Napier is fired next season, then Stricklin should be fired as well. The only coach I can see out there who can and will fix this is Urban Meyer. There are no other proven P5 coaches other than Harbaugh and Saban.

I also don't want to hear about Kiffin or Sanders. Kiffin will be no more than Mullen 2.0. I also can't imagine Sanders hiring great assistants as well as recruiters who want to work under him. He has a failed DC who was DC at FSU under Fisher.

Reactions: Countygator1
Shane Matthews makes a solid point about getting a new coach. Who you going to get? In 100 years of football UF has had 2 elite coaches. Says the same thing about Bama - like 3 coaches have been great there.

So coaches that win Nattys aren't just easy to get. I hope Napier can figure it out but he should get a full 3 years to do so.

Shane Matthews makes a solid point about getting a new coach. Who you going to get? In 100 years of football UF has had 2 elite coaches. Says the same thing about Bama - like 3 coaches have been great there.

So coaches that win Nattys aren't just easy to get. I hope Napier can figure it out but he should get a full 3 years to do so.
I would give him 3 years if he would stop being stubborn and hire a competent SEC OC, QB, OL and ST coach, and run the program as the CEO.

I believe the NIL misstep was not his fault and going forward we will do better.

I'm not against a small army of analysts but this is big boy football and you need proven game day staff.

I would give him 3 years if he would stop being stubborn and hire a competent SEC OC, QB, OL and ST coach, and run the program as the CEO.

I believe the NIL misstep was not his fault and going forward we will do better.

I'm not against a small army of analysts but this is big boy football and you need proven game day staff.
I agree on the NIL misstep - but it also kind of doesn't matter. I mean, everyone was going thru NIL being a brand new thing and we were a year late.

End of day - you have to win games and we're not there.

I agree on the NIL misstep - but it also kind of doesn't matter. I mean, everyone was going thru NIL being a brand new thing and we were a year late.

End of day - you have to win games and we're not there.
Echoing this, you simply must have staff that can interact with players on game day. Not only do we not have one on special teams, we somehow managed to have two incompetents coaching the offensive line. And while I'm sure that CBN could call winning games in his old conference, he's clearly out of his depth in his new one, and this is not a place where you can learn on the job.

I hate the argument “who are you going to get?” Fans all have regular jobs. Give me Stricklin’s job and salary and I promise you I’ll have a list of top candidates. Off the top of my head, how about the guy at Arizona?

Not that I’m saying Napier should be fired this year. Let him get this class in and let’s see what he can do. But next year excuses are over. We should be on the way to competing in the SECE or Napier should GTFO.

I'm not defending Napier and trust me, I want him to succeed here. Like I said, if Napier goes, so does Sticklin. He hired Napier and Mullen. At the time of the hiring, Kent (dumb) Fuchs was the President and I doubt Sasse will give Stricklin another chance to screw up hiring another football coach.

I've never been a Stricklin fan. To me he seems more interested in fund raising than in being the CEO of the athletic department, making sure we have the best coaches, facilities and other resources to compete for titles year in and year out.

Let me start by saying that Napier should, and will, get 5 years to succeed, and you can take that to the bank. However,,, saying that doesn't and won't stop any and all outside criticism, both the solid and the weak.
Moving on..........

"While Mertz is completing an impressive 73.9% of his passes on the year, almost one-third of his passing attempts (94 out of 301, per Pro Football Focus) have targeted a pass-catcher behind the line of scrimmage. 62.8% of Florida's passing yardage has been generated after the catch." (that's not a QB, that's a game manager)

"Napier's offense has not worked in Florida's matchups with respectable defenses. Napier would likely benefit in his role as a football program CEO by removing the responsibilities of calling plays and scheming the offense from his plate by hiring a legitimate offensive coordinator this offseason. In turn, Florida's offense could put new ideas to good use."
(as the iG suggested, a Spread Offense OC/QB's that knows now to game plan and get the most out of a dual threat QB)

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...rs-three-questions-following-devastating-loss

Let me start by saying that Napier should, and will, get 5 years to succeed, and you can take that to the bank. However,,, saying that doesn't and won't stop any and all outside criticism, both the solid and the weak.
Moving on..........

"While Mertz is completing an impressive 73.9% of his passes on the year, almost one-third of his passing attempts (94 out of 301, per Pro Football Focus) have targeted a pass-catcher behind the line of scrimmage. 62.8% of Florida's passing yardage has been generated after the catch." (that's not a QB, that's a game manager)

"Napier's offense has not worked in Florida's matchups with respectable defenses. Napier would likely benefit in his role as a football program CEO by removing the responsibilities of calling plays and scheming the offense from his plate by hiring a legitimate offensive coordinator this offseason. In turn, Florida's offense could put new ideas to good use."
(as the iG suggested, a Spread Offense OC/QB's that knows now to game plan and get the most out of a dual threat QB)

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...rs-three-questions-following-devastating-loss
We lost 39-36...gave up 39 at home to a team that barely had an offensive pulse. Crazy thing is our offense is averaging 33 points per game over the last 4 games with a horrible offensive line. Should win 90% of the time when that happens. Problem is our defense has surrendered 35 per game during that same stretch. We are struggling along both lines of scrimmage. Need a serious infusion of talent there or it won't matter if Lamar Jackson suits up at QB.

I hate the argument “who are you going to get?” Fans all have regular jobs. Give me Stricklin’s job and salary and I promise you I’ll have a list of top candidates. Off the top of my head, how about the guy at Arizona?

Not that I’m saying Napier should be fired this year. Let him get this class in and let’s see what he can do. But next year excuses are over. We should be on the way to competing in the SECE or Napier should GTFO.
It's hard to answer and makes a point at the same time. First it's hard because just firing the current guy doesn't solve the issue and it's a reasonable question - who are you going to get?

Secondly - what makes you think the next guy will be only the 3rd coach in UF history to be elite? Coaches are hired every year and almost none win a natty. The point is it's kind of an unreasonable take 1.5 years in.

Reactions: instaGATOR
And he's the MVP of our team. If we had any kind of defense, OL and special teams then he would be a game winner.

It's hard to answer and makes a point at the same time. First it's hard because just firing the current guy doesn't solve the issue and it's a reasonable question - who are you going to get?

Secondly - what makes you think the next guy will be only the 3rd coach in UF history to be elite? Coaches are hired every year and almost none win a natty. The point is it's kind of an unreasonable take 1.5 years in.
Nobody is calling for Napier to be fired. For me, I’m just saying a year and a half in I don’t see it. I think pretty much everyone is on board with giving him another year.

And I don’t think anyone is asking for national titles at this point. I’d settle for competence to start with.

I don’t think it is a reasonable question to ask fans who you’re going to get because that’s not a fan’s job to know. If you’re getting paid $10m/year to run an athletics program that’s your job. If an AD can’t hire someone capable of succeeding at a place like Florida, then he should be the one out of a job.

If Napier is fired next season, then Stricklin should be fired as well. The only coach I can see out there who can and will fix this is Urban Meyer. There are no other proven P5 coaches other than Harbaugh and Saban.

I also don't want to hear about Kiffin or Sanders. Kiffin will be no more than Mullen 2.0. I also can't imagine Sanders hiring great assistants as well as recruiters who want to work under him. He has a failed DC who was DC at FSU under Fisher.

I think Kiffin was my top choice early of the realistic candidates last time. Won't happen here though but think if he was at a place where you could have the defensive players that he would be able to realistically compete for a championship. It's pretty impressive what he has done on offense there with the limitations of Ole Miss. I want no part of Sanders. On paper the Oregon coach looks like a good fit but I doubt they let anyone snatch him away.

You could also say what is the chance another coach goes roughly 6-6 their first 3 years at UF if that happens.

Well if the Gator standard is to win Nattys and SEC championships then he'd be a failure. I have it on good authority you either win championships or should be gone year 2 lol

The people saying he has to go after this year are wrong imo. He has a good class going and with that you have to give him the 3rd year to show if he can figure things out or not. At least the next coach will have a nice roster if he doesnt get his act together.

The people saying he has to go after this year are wrong imo. He has a good class going and with that you have to give him the 3rd year to show if he can figure things out or not. At least the next coach will have a nice roster if he doesnt get his act together.
He ain't going anywhere at least until after the 2025 season, IMO. THE University of Florida should expect all of their athletic programs to be in the hunt for an SEC title on a regular basis. With the money, facilities, resources, recruiting base, etc. at our disposal there is no reason why that isn't a normal and reasonable expectation. And when a new coach, they come in knowing those expectations full well. With the football program, the sport that drives the money machine and is THE high profile sport of the university, this is especially true. I think Billy Napier understands all this, but it is concerning that the same mistakes that plagued his team last year are still happening through year 2. You expect to see consistent growth and improvement in performance from year 1 to year 2 and it hasn't happened. Next year's schedule is brutal as well and so the heat will be turned up even more if significant improvement in results doesn't show in 2024. In spite of all that, he'll be given at least 4 years to get us back in the hunt.

How about are there three coaches nationally who can get the right amount of players on the field on special teams? This explanation is ridiculous.

• Wow
Reactions: sadgator
If an AD can’t hire someone capable of succeeding at a place like Florida, then he should be the one out of a job.
Joe Biden is not making ANY of the decisions on running the USA.
The people behind the closed doors are doing that.
They just keep Joe and the Border-Ho around for scapegoats to blame the failures on when that becomes necessary.....

The AD at UF is not making,,,,,,,.......

Joe Biden is not making ANY of the decisions on running the USA.
The people behind the closed doors are doing that.
They just keep Joe and the Border-Ho around for scapegoats to blame the failures on when that becomes necessary.....

The AD at UF is not making,,,,,,,.......
You're actually posting that crap on a sports board, Primo.

• Haha

Ehhh…sadgator’s seen more than enough…at this point, sadgator’d be willing to let Lance Leipold show us if he can be “elite” or “great.”

Last edited:
  • Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT