ADVERTISEMENT

This is the Deal: PLEASE READ

Still have cousins in Lindsay. Uncle owned a small engine repair business for decades...worked on oil well pumps
It’s really God awful country.

I have people I love that live there, and nostalgic to go back, but when I get there it’s woof compared to where I live now.

Rivals is weird. Navigating to this site is strange. I log into Rivals, and this site's board isn't there sometimes. At times doesn't even exist. Maybe I have the same login and screen name there as here? I have no idea. This might have occurred in the way way back machine years ago during a transition. I believe I've been here for 3 or 4 ownership changes, I never even read the Rivals boards.:rolleyes:
Then you are missing out. The swamp is a great football forum and the main board is a ton of fun ...

Reactions: Capt Ron 1
Then you are missing out. The swamp is a great football forum and the main board is a ton of fun ...
BEST Gator board in history. Jason higdon is BY FAR the best concerning Gator football and the way he runs the ship. Have followed him since early Urban days. Honestly...when Jason left for the Texas board...I had the same gut punch feeling I had when Spurrier and Urban quit.

BEST Gator board in history. Jason higdon is BY FAR the best concerning Gator football and the way he runs the ship. Have followed him since early Urban days. Honestly...when Jason left for the Texas board...I had the same gut punch feeling I had when Spurrier and Urban quit.
It's 2:28EST, Wednesday October 25th. 2023...and Texas still sucks.

Charlie was/is an awesome guy, just not a great fit for the tea sips at Uterus.
The reality is that defensive coordinators do not normally pan out as successful head coaches. The game has changed, and many of them are not willing to give up the reins of the offense. We experienced this with Muschamp and Zook, and Zook wasn't even a DC, he was special teams. It's a control issue that doesn't work in their favor, in 90% of the cases. There are exceptions but not that many.

The reality is that defensive coordinators do not normally pan out as successful head coaches. The game has changed, and many of them are not willing to give up the reins of the offense. We experienced this with Muschamp and Zook, and Zook wasn't even a DC, he was special teams. It's a control issue that doesn't work in their favor, in 90% of the cases. There are exceptions but not that many.

Right about now, I'd take Ron Zook back as special teams coach, even as he turns 70 next season. He is currently in the XFL as a DC in Seattle.

OU is much better off with Venables that Riley.

But that’s more than scheme, its character, experience, pedigree, and passion.

OU plays better fundamental defense, tackles better, is more physical on both sides, but doesn’t have the transcendent QB’s that Riley drew.

Mayfield - CFB Stud
Murray - one of the best CFB QB’s ever?
Rattler - one very good season then regressed, but the talent was there
Caleb - generational talent at QB; Cam Newton mixed with Aaron Rodgers

Aaand zero playoff wins…

Now we have DG who is a solid player - but he’s hampered by average skill position talent. He doesn’t have a RB. Some decent WR but no next level dudes.

And OU is a fringe playoff team.

A DC/HC can get it done, but it’s rare…as you say. And Lebby isn’t garbage, but he’s not Lincoln Riley either.

Reactions: RussellCasse
Sorry about your thread getting locked @BSC911 - I honestly am.

I didn't think a sports jab was going to be the catalyst for that, if that's indeed what it was.

I grew up in OK and Texas, went to school at OU and lived in Texas for over a decade before moving to NoVA...point is my teams are Sooners/Cowboys/Mavs/Rangers and Stars in that order. I wasn't just being an ahole for the sake of being an ahole. If some other team had won that series I wouldn't have said a word.

Apologies to @JasonHigdon for any disruption of your time on your revenue forum as well.
I’ve been on vacation over in Europe; just got back late Tuesday night. What happened exactly???

I’ve been on vacation over in Europe; just got back late Tuesday night. What happened exactly???
I don't really know, but my guess is:
- I called BSC on his "Astros are kicking a$$" comment the moment the Rangers won
- He clapped back, pretty predictable response
- Jason came in and locked the "GOAT" thread then deleted Navi's 'BSCuck' thread
- Jason then called us all toddlers

I'm guessing BSC reported me for trolling and Jason was irritated enough to take some action. That's the only reason I can come up with for the toddlers (or 12 year olds?) comment he made.

Reactions: ghost_of_ukalum1988
I'm guessing BSC reported me for trolling and Jason was irritated enough to take some action. That's the only reason I can come up with for the toddlers (or 12 year olds?) comment he made.
If @BSC911 got his own thread locked for reporting others, after claiming this entire time that OTHERS were reporting HIM....then that's just about perfect.

OU plays better fundamental defense, tackles better, is more physical on both sides, but doesn’t have the transcendent QB’s that Riley drew.

Mayfield - CFB Stud

Aaand zero playoff wins…

Now we have DG who is a solid player - but he’s hampered by average skill position talent. He doesn’t have a RB. Some decent WR but no next level dudes.

A DC/HC can get it done, but it’s rare…as you say. And Lebby isn’t garbage, but he’s not Lincoln Riley either.

This^^^^. And, our last d coordinator turned head coach, turned out pretty well as well. TY Spurrier. There are plenty of good ones as well. Saban, Kirby, and that asshat up in Oregon are all doing pretty well.

Brent has OU on a much better course than Riley. One thing folks outside of OU don’t talk about? OU had 5 straight years of decline under Riley. He looked great on paper (overall record), but I think one reason he left is that he knew what he had done.

The Program was in decline. Roster management was atrocious, culture was Soft AF, and he just didn’t know how to manage it all. Great offensive mind, not a good head guy. We are seeing that bear out at USC. Him leaving and getting a guy that could build culture was huge for OU headed to the SEC. Riley would have cried in the SEC.

Give brent Riley as a playcaller? Deadly.

And honestly, Riley needs a mentor that isn’t Mike Leach. Guy is lost with culture building.

One only needs to see how USC handles the press and adversity to see how soft he is.

Mayfield - CFB Stud

Aaand zero playoff wins…

Calling Caleb Williams, a generational talent made me laugh. He's good and not great.. and the fact that he wants ownership in whatever team selects him in the NFL is about the funniest thing I've ever heard ...

Calling Caleb Williams, a generational talent made me laugh. He's good and not great.. and the fact that he wants ownership in whatever team selection in the NFL is about the funniest thing I've ever heard ...
I watched that kid as a true FR come into week 4 and nearly win the Heisman.

His combination of strength, speed and arm talent is insane.

Start this at 0:40 and tell me that kid wouldn't make 10 NFL teams better as a 18YO. By TCU he was progressing through reads...and the throw to Mims against Texas was an NFL throw.

I get that this year things went off the rails for USC and Williams (despite a 170 Passer Rating), and maybe his worst enemy is between the ears, but the guy is a freak skillset-wise.

Reactions: FresnoGator
I watched that kid as a true FR come into week 4 and nearly win the Heisman.

His combination of strength, speed and arm talent is insane.

Start this at 0:40 and tell me that kid wouldn't make 10 NFL teams better as a 18YO. By TCU he was progressing through reads...and the throw to Mims against Texas was an NFL throw.

I get that this year things went off the rails for USC and Williams (despite a 170 Passer Rating), and maybe his worst enemy is between the ears, but the guy is a freak skillset-wise.
OK I will give you that he was great at Oklahoma. He has been less so at USC especially during crunch time. The last several games I've watched him play. He has been less impressive, and in some of those games largely out performed by the other quarterback ...

OK I will give you that he was great at Oklahoma. He has been less so at USC especially during crunch time. The last several games I've watched him play. He has been less impressive, and in some of those games largely out performed by the other quarterback ...
I think he's a mental midget. He's been the best at everything his whole life.

Since that second loss I agree, he's been less motivated and hasn't looked as engaged. Feels like he's biding time and regrets following Riley.

I think it's entirely possible the NFL chews him up and spits him out. We'll see if he grows up or not.

Reactions: FresnoGator

Since that second loss I agree, he's been less motivated and hasn't looked as engaged. Feels like he's biding time and regrets following Riley.

I think it's entirely possible the NFL chews him up and spits him out. We'll see if he grows up or not.
It is amazing how a player can do so well...or so poorly at one school, and then do the exact opposite at another. Bo Nix was HORRIBLE at Auburn, and is KILLING it at Oregon. Graham Mertz was very average AT BEST at Wisconsin...and did a GREAT job at UF. Such big swings w change of scenery

It is amazing how a player can do so well...or so poorly at one school, and then do the exact opposite at another. Bo Nix was HORRIBLE at Auburn, and is KILLING it at Oregon. Graham Mertz was very average AT BEST at Wisconsin...and did a GREAT job at UF. Such big swings w change of scenery
Same with coaches. How often are we gleeful over some 'homerun' hire then end up calling for the guy's head.

I guess ya never know when the chemistry is going to work.

Pretty sure he had horrible coaching at aubarn.

Nix is due to scheme / level of comp / coaching / decision making / maturity ...

Yep. Athletically he checks every box.

But he has been coddled by his parents and Riley. Watching this year he lacks leadership, toughness and decision making.

He holds the ball way too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatman76
Yep. Athletically he checks every box.

But he has been coddled by his parents and Riley. Watching a his year he lacks leadership, toughness and decision making.

He holds the ball way too long.
He could be coached to get rid of the ball.

Probably couldn't be coached to not bawl in mama's arms after the Packers pack his sh!t in though...

He could be coached to get rid of the ball.

Probably couldn't be coached to not bawl in mama's arms after the Packers pack his sh!t in though...

Yeah, that and not doing postgame pressers when they lose, but doing them when they win…chickenshit.

Yeah, that and not doing postgame pressers when they lose, but doing them when they win…chickenshit.
Bailing on a team you claim you loved and were close to, only to follow a snake oil salesman to the PAC12 on the LAST DAY HE COULD ENROLL to ensure your old team can't attract top talent at your position..chickenshit indeed.

He knew the second Riley announced what he was going to do.

Riley and CW ruined two programs at once because they both knew they were too soft for the SEC.

The best game I've seen in a long time was last season when USC lost to the Green Wave of Tulane!!! Oh how satisfying that game was. I watched the last 4 minutes over and over, night after night, and it made sleep solid.

I have a feeling you are correct. When things just don't fall into place, he'll struggle. And as far as OU goes, I may be in the minority here but I HATED Lebby's play calling. He lost those 2 games for us. So many times he's got guys running all over the backfield to confuse the defense who seemed to only laugh and make a stop, most of the time behind the line of scrimmage. Sure he got 11 wins, it's Oklahoma. But they could have been so much more dynamic. I'm glad he's gone.

I have a feeling you are correct. When things just don't fall into place, he'll struggle. And as far as OU goes, I may be in the minority here but I HATED Lebby's play calling. He lost those 2 games for us. So many times he's got guys running all over the backfield to confuse the defense who seemed to only laugh and make a stop, most of the time behind the line of scrimmage. Sure he got 11 wins, it's Oklahoma. But they could have been so much more dynamic. I'm glad he's gone.
I'll only be glad once I see the replacement.

JJF does not make my football pants excite.

Because a few years ago, when the old Scoop crew was running the SoonerScoop site, they were extremely biased against conservatives and let libs say nearly whatever they wanted. A lot of non-football posting in the offseason.

Someone, can't remember who, discovered the Parking Lot and DM'ed some of the more active posters.

Several posters here are originally from SoonerScoop.

Also because this forum isn't football-related, even if the site is. Don't we also have a Kentucky and a Bama fan posting often here?

Wtf. Just go to the Main Board. Good grief.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT