ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Panic??

UF_GATOR_FAN

Green Machine
Apr 2, 2009
http://andreu.blogs.gatorsports.com/11275/gators-losing-florida/

While I think most would agree that recruiting didn't hit the heights we were used to with Urban, I really think the gloom-&-doom crowd is being premature. We had a solid, if unspectacular, season on the field, with hope for the future. I also thought we did a good job of filling needs on both sides of the ball (a few positions notwithstanding).

The future is looking bright under CJM, and I think next year will be even better. If we don't show signs of improvement over the course of next year, with the objective to be in the national title hunt by 2018 at the latest, then I agree we have to take a long look at whether we need a change in leadership.

Here's the thing - next year's class better be Top 5 or Mac may not be able to win here. We had a good class, not great and that's okay right this second. But if you are going to beat people in August you have to win those same battles for talent in Feb. You can't get out recruited year in/out.

Right now I'm content enough but we have work to do.

While I think most would agree that recruiting didn't hit the heights we were used to with Urban, I really think the gloom-&-doom crowd is being premature. We had a solid, if unspectacular, season on the field, with hope for the future. I also thought we did a good job of filling needs on both sides of the ball (a few positions notwithstanding).

The future is looking bright under CJM, and I think next year will be even better. If we don't show signs of improvement over the course of next year, with the objective to be in the national title hunt by 2018 at the latest, then I agree we have to take a long look at whether we need a change in leadership.
Off season with Spring practice will give us a good idea where we are heading. I think the future will be real bright as the offense comes along next year.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Enjoy this time of year. Everyone has new recruits and spring ball is on the way. EVERYONE is optimistic about their team right now. It's months before anyone loses a game.

Reactions: TNole902
Here's the thing - next year's class better be Top 5 or Mac may not be able to win here. We had a good class, not great and that's okay right this second. But if you are going to beat people in August you have to win those same battles for talent in Feb. You can't get out recruited year in/out.

Right now I'm content enough but we have work to do.

I agree with this, with the caveat that having the best recruiting class doesn't necessarily equate to having the best team. I would like to have more beef on the lines, but 90% of all teams have that complaint.

Yes, the gators got worked down the stretch. 2017 is shaping up for a huge drop off in the defense. Linebackers, defensive tackles, blue chip talent in the secondary...these will all be issues.

Reactions: FSU4545

The Problem is the class just signed is for 2018 and the got no elite defensive tackles Again and one elite DB. The elite upper class won't be there in 2018, that's already done and signed off on.

Just what we need. Noles telling us how to feel.
What are they supposed to say? Lol. Everybody is 0-0 right now and everybody has a new team that has a 1 year life span. As for UF, Jim McElwane definitely has a recruiting problem in my opinion. But he still had a pretty good class. I just think he doesn't have a whole lot of experience recruiting the state of Florida considering he went from OC at Fresno State to OC at Bama to HC at Colorado State to HC at Florida. He has never had to recruit predominantly in Florida. He is losing a lot of the in state recruiting battles to us and some to out of state schools. But I think he is recruiting enough talent to win with even in the SEC.

What I'll be interested in seeing is how good UF's defense is when Muschamp's recruits are gone. Muschamp recruited pretty good on the defensive side of the ball. No doubt McElwane will recruit the QB's that can play and pretty good skill players. Only getting 3 Olinemen this past cycle wasn't what I'm sure he had in mind though.

Yes, the gators got worked down the stretch. 2017 is shaping up for a huge drop off in the defense. Linebackers, defensive tackles, blue chip talent in the secondary...these will all be issues.

The Gators got worked when they lost their starting rsFr QB.
This proved that neither TH nor Claribel is good enough to play as an SEC QB.

In BOLD (6) are the few 2016 Sr's and possible early departure Jr's. The rest and the entire 2017 freshman class will be on the 2017 roster.

#2 CB Jalen Tabor 6-0 191 4.45/40 Jr *****
#2 CB Chauncey Gardner 5-11 197 4.50/40 Fr ****
#15 CB/FS Quincy Wilson 6-1 209 Jr ****
#16 CB Duke Dawson 5-10 204 Jr ****
#58 Ath/CB Chris McWilliams 6-0 161 4.63/40 Fr ***
NR CB (jc) Joseph Putu 6-1 190 Jr *** (10 Ints in 2015 - Ark flip)

#5 FS Marcus Maye 6-0 207 rsSr ****
#7 SS Marcel Harris 6-1 211 rsJr ****
#11 FS/Nic Nick Washington 6-0 195 rsJr ****
NR SS Kylan Johnson 6-1 220 rsFr *** (wildcat-QB/KR - 36 TD's to Zero Ints)
#21 S Quincy Lenton 6-0 190 Fr ****
#39 S Jeawon Taylor 6-1 195 Fr ***
DB - M.Iorio, M.Norvelis, G.Stephens, DL. Powell, K.Francois, E.Giles, I. O'Neal,

#1 ILB Alex Anzalone 6-3 244 Sr *****
#3 ILB Daniel McMillian 6-1 219 Sr ****

#5 OLB Mat Rolin 6-3 216 rsJr ****
#17 OLB Vosean Joseph 6-2 207 5.0/40 Fr ***
#24 OLB Jeremia Moon 6-4 210 4.7/40 Fr ****
#26 ILB David Reese 6-0 240 4.8/40 Fr ****
#47 OLB Jarrad Davis 6-2 230 Sr *** (way underrated - starter)
Plus - S.Stipe, C.Garcia, I.Brinson, R.Jackson, RJ. Raymond, D.Singletary, J.Lawrence that are still in the development stage.

RUSH Jordan Sherit 6-4 250 rsJr ****
RUSH Justus Reed 6-3 240 rsSo ****

#2 DE CeCe Jefferson 6-1 275 So ***** (Freshman All SEC Team)
#2 DE Antonneous Clayton 6-3 217 4.70/40 Fr *****
#29 DE Jordan Smith 6-5 225 Fr ****
#47 DE Jachai Polite 6-3 248 Fr ****
#62 DE Bryan Cox Jr 6-3 268 rsSr ***
#138 DE Keivonnis Davis 6-4 230 So ***
#148 DE Like Ancrum 6-5 251 rsFr ***

#2 DT Thomas Holley 6-3 320 rsSo *****
#6 DT Caleb Brantley 6-2 314 rsJr ****
#12 DE/DT Joey Ivie 6-3 295 Sr **** (DE that grew into starting DT)
#21 DT Khairi Clark 6-2 325 rsSo ****
#35 DE/DT Taven Bryan 6-5 292 rsSo *** (DE grew into DT)
#44 DT Andrew Ivie 6-1 302 rsFr *** (Joey's younger brother)
#45 DT/DE Jabari Zuniga 6-3 263 rsFr *** (many consider him under-rated)

Reactions: rdgtr
UF's 2016 D will only have 5 players that were 5 Star rated (CB, LB, DT, 2 DE's). o_O
To go with 16 more 4 Stars that were all rated in the Top 25 in the Nation at their positions, including three Top 5 LB'ers and 3 more Top 25 LB'er.
Showing that indeed, UF has no Blue Chippers on the defense... :rolleyes:

Doomed for sure, especially considering that without musclecramp and his defensive staff, UF was only #8 in the Nation and #2 in the SEC in Total Defense for 2015.... :cool:

Because of that, it was difficult for a true Fr to get on the field unless injuries or other stuff reduced the depth at a position. Only 3 true Fr played on the 2015 Def.

DE/DT CeCe Jefferson ***** GP 14 - Freshman All SEC
CB Chris Williamson *** GP 5 - ST's and backup CB
DE Keivonnis Davis *** GP 4 - ST's and backup DE/Rush

The total number of previously red-shirted players that are on the 2016 Gator team:
(speaks to the experience level)

Defense = 29
Offense = 29
ST's (K-P-LS) = 9
Total 2016 Team Redshirts = 67 :eek:

While 7 true Fr played on the offense (3 OL, 2 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, and 1 ST's LS played.
More than twice as many on the O as on the D (shows the difference in quality/depth).

As to how the 2017 early class is shaping up. Recruiting Update:

2017 Class - Will likely be a Top 5 class IMO, as they're off to a good start already:

#6 QB-PP Jake Allen 6-3 195 **** 5.8 - Fort Lauderdale, STA - 7-2-15. Invited to Elite 11.
Offers: UF - Miami, UCF, FL-Atl - Iowa, ColoSt, NCSt, Pitt, Rut, Cincy, etc.

#7 WR Daquon Green 6-1 186 **** 5.8 - Tampa - 7-24-15
Offers: UF - AU, UGA, MS, SCa, TN, UK -- Mia, USF, UCF, Mich, tOSU, VaTech, etc

#32 OT Kadeem Telfort 6-6 323 **** 5.8 - Miami - 7-7-15
Offers: UF - AU, LSU - Miami, USF, UL, NCSt, WVa, Syr, etc.

All three are on the ESPN Jr Top 300 List, and all 3 are already consensus 4 Stars.

ESPN's Gator 2017 Offers List is pretty long already - http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/57/class/2017/page/offers

It's a long time to Feb 2017 NSD, so I'll just sit back and watch them come on in... :cool:

Last edited:
2015 Football season is over.
2016 Recruiting is mostly over.
Spring, O&B Game, and Fall before the 2016 season begins.
=============

So, why don't we take a quick look at the Gator's freshman Baseball class?
(cause Florida is the absolute opposite of a one pony show)

What can a true freshman do against a monster Gator SoS that includes the SEC plus some OoC Top 25 teams? Go ahead and check out what these 9 true freshmen have done so far in UF's 6-0 start to their 2016 season. :)

• UF started a pair of freshmen in its season opener: Deacon Liput (2B) and Jonathan India (3B). India has since been moved from 3B to SS.
  • Freshmen play at UF,,, IF they are good enough... :cool:
Pay particular attention to:

2B Liput - Batting Ave .500, 15 total bases, 10 RBI's, 3 doubles, 2 triples, with a .938 slugging %, and a .600 on base %. :eek:

RHP Singer - Made 2 scoreless appearances, 4.1 innings with 1 hit and opponents have a .071 batting average against him. :eek:

Last edited:
2015 Football season is over.
2016 Recruiting is mostly over.
Go ahead and check out what these 9 true freshmen have done so far in UF's 13-0 start to their 2016 season. :)

I think it is 5-0. Yet you are right that freshman have typically done well under Sully. We are having more errors, but that is to be expected when we had to replace Tobias and Martin, both excellent in fielders.

=============

So, why don't we take a quick look at the Gator's freshman Baseball class?
(cause Florida is the absolute opposite of a one pony show)

What can a true freshman do against a monster Gator SoS that includes the SEC plus some OoC Top 25 teams? Go ahead and check out what these 9 true freshmen have done so far in UF's 13-0 start to their 2016 season. :)

• UF started a pair of freshmen in its season opener: Deacon Liput (2B) and Jonathan India (3B). India has since been moved from 3B to SS.
  • Freshmen play at UF,,, IF they are good enough... :cool:
Pay particular attention to:

2B Liput - Batting Ave .500, 15 total bases, 10 RBI's, 3 doubles, 2 triples, with a .938 slugging %, and a .600 on base %. :eek:

RHP Singer - Made 2 scoreless appearances, 4.1 innings with 1 hit and opponents have a .071 batting average against him. :eek:

All these guys are monster recruits. If Mac starts to recruit like Sully, he'll be just fine.

The Gators got worked when they lost their starting rsFr QB.
This proved that neither TH nor Claribel is good enough to play as an SEC QB.

In BOLD (6) are the few 2016 Sr's and possible early departure Jr's. The rest and the entire 2017 freshman class will be on the 2017 roster.

#2 CB Jalen Tabor 6-0 191 4.45/40 Jr *****
#2 CB Chauncey Gardner 5-11 197 4.50/40 Fr ****
#15 CB/FS Quincy Wilson 6-1 209 Jr ****
#16 CB Duke Dawson 5-10 204 Jr ****
#58 Ath/CB Chris McWilliams 6-0 161 4.63/40 Fr ***
NR CB (jc) Joseph Putu 6-1 190 Jr *** (10 Ints in 2015 - Ark flip)

#5 FS Marcus Maye 6-0 207 rsSr ****
#7 SS Marcel Harris 6-1 211 rsJr ****
#11 FS/Nic Nick Washington 6-0 195 rsJr ****
NR SS Kylan Johnson 6-1 220 rsFr *** (wildcat-QB/KR - 36 TD's to Zero Ints)
#21 S Quincy Lenton 6-0 190 Fr ****
#39 S Jeawon Taylor 6-1 195 Fr ***
DB - M.Iorio, M.Norvelis, G.Stephens, DL. Powell, K.Francois, E.Giles, I. O'Neal,

#1 ILB Alex Anzalone 6-3 244 Sr *****
#3 ILB Daniel McMillian 6-1 219 Sr ****

#5 OLB Mat Rolin 6-3 216 rsJr ****
#17 OLB Vosean Joseph 6-2 207 5.0/40 Fr ***
#24 OLB Jeremia Moon 6-4 210 4.7/40 Fr ****
#26 ILB David Reese 6-0 240 4.8/40 Fr ****
#47 OLB Jarrad Davis 6-2 230 Sr *** (way underrated - starter)
Plus - S.Stipe, C.Garcia, I.Brinson, R.Jackson, RJ. Raymond, D.Singletary, J.Lawrence that are still in the development stage.

RUSH Jordan Sherit 6-4 250 rsJr ****
RUSH Justus Reed 6-3 240 rsSo ****

#2 DE CeCe Jefferson 6-1 275 So ***** (Freshman All SEC Team)
#2 DE Antonneous Clayton 6-3 217 4.70/40 Fr *****
#29 DE Jordan Smith 6-5 225 Fr ****
#47 DE Jachai Polite 6-3 248 Fr ****
#62 DE Bryan Cox Jr 6-3 268 rsSr ***
#138 DE Keivonnis Davis 6-4 230 So ***
#148 DE Like Ancrum 6-5 251 rsFr ***

#2 DT Thomas Holley 6-3 320 rsSo *****
#6 DT Caleb Brantley 6-2 314 rsJr ****
#12 DE/DT Joey Ivie 6-3 295 Sr **** (DE that grew into starting DT)
#21 DT Khairi Clark 6-2 325 rsSo ****
#35 DE/DT Taven Bryan 6-5 292 rsSo *** (DE grew into DT)
#44 DT Andrew Ivie 6-1 302 rsFr *** (Joey's younger brother)
#45 DT/DE Jabari Zuniga 6-3 263 rsFr *** (many consider him under-rated)

All I have to say is that Polite is a three star. Period. Half Your guys are rated wrong like that. If Polite is a four star, almost everybody would be one. Do you just seek out the highest grade each service has for each kid?

If Mac starts to recruit like Sully, he'll be just fine.

Well, Mc has a pretty good start on his first complete Recruiting class (2017).

QB-PP Jake Allen 6-3 196 **** - Ft. Lauderdale (Invited to Elite 11)

WR Daquon Green 6-1 186 **** - Tampa (already with a very long offer list)

OT Kadeem Telfort 6-6 323 **** - Miami (another quality big body for the OL)

* Most intelligent people realize that it takes 2-3 years to fully develop relationships with HS coaches and their players.

Last edited:
The board is showing 'ignored posters' have chimed in.

I'm betting that my ' usual stalkers' have added nothing useful to this thread,,, as usual... :rolleyes:

Reactions: nail1988
Top 2017 recruits in the state of Florida are still not showing a ton of interest in UF. I know its a long ways to go but we have to do something to change the in-state kids perception. 10 wins apparently didn't do it.

iG's Ignore List:

93nole99
alaskanseminole
Dunnygator1989
EvilWayz
Nuttless I-wish26
IrishDogPoker
JWtwitsquad
MDM9093
METSLOSE
Meatchicken-Gator
MJWilliamson
Nolick
oozy7
TNole902
ZZzzzz1059

Just so you and they will know why I'm not responding to their usual twit stalker bs.

While I mostly ignore them, they never miss a single thing that I post. They read every word while denying that they do, and then they stupidly critique what they supposedly aren't reading..... Too funny! :D:cool::D

Reactions: 93nole99
So Insta won't answer my question about the 2017 class?

Obviously I should be ignored for such heresy.

Well, Mc has a pretty good start on his first complete Recruiting class (2017).

QB-PP Jake Allen 6-3 196 **** - Ft. Lauderdale (Invited to Elite 11)

WR Daquon Green 6-1 186 **** - Tampa (already with a very long offer list)

OT Kadeem Telfort 6-6 323 **** - Miami (another quality big body for the OL)

* Most intelligent people realize that it takes 2-3 years to fully develop relationships with HS coaches and their players.

I thought this was his second "complete class"? Wasn't 2016 is first complete class? He does get a bit of a pass for the 2015 class since he was only around for a fraction of the recruiting year.

I thought this was his second "complete class"? Wasn't 2016 is first complete class? He does get a bit of a pass for the 2015 class since he was only around for a fraction of the recruiting year.

Yes, 2015 was a full calendar year class, but as many here have pointed out, (and then quickly discounted), his first full year as UF's HBC ended in Jan of 2016.

McElwain was hired by UF on Dec 4, 2014 and arrived on Dec. 5th.
He did not take part in UF's bowl game. It was after the bowl in Jan that he stepped in to take over the team as the new HBC, with 2015 NSD 5-6 weeks away.
By NSD of 2016 he had been at the job for just slightly over 1 year and he had his first year as the HBC behind him with a 10-2 regular season record (10-4 overall). So while the 2016 NSD class was officially and technically his 1st full calendar season and his 1st recruiting class, it was just barely so.

I'm willing to give him a break and call the NSD Feb 2017 class his first 'real' recruiting class, with his staff finally solid and complete, and his Gator recruiting contacts now fully in play. Hatters will obviously disagree, which is fine with me, opinions vary.

Yes, 2015 was a full calendar year class, but as many here have pointed out, (and then quickly discounted), his first full year as UF's HBC ended in Jan of 2016.

McElwain was hired by UF on Dec 4, 2014 and arrived on Dec. 5th.
He did not take part in UF's bowl game. It was after the bowl in Jan that he stepped in to take over the team as the new HBC, with 2015 NSD 5-6 weeks away.
By NSD of 2016 he had been at the job for just slightly over 1 year and he had his first year as the HBC behind him with a 10-2 regular season record (10-4 overall). So while the 2016 NSD class was officially and technically his 1st full calendar season and his 1st recruiting class, it was just barely so.

I'm willing to give him a break and call the NSD Feb 2017 class his first 'real' recruiting class, with his staff finally solid and complete, and his Gator recruiting contacts now fully in play. Hatters will obviously disagree, which is fine with me, opinions vary.

Right, so he was only around for a little over a month to recruit for the 2015 class. He was around the entire 2016 recruiting cycle and that class was inked last month so that is his "1st complete class". 2017 will be his "2nd complete class",,,,not his first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT