ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lebron James son, Bronny James Suffers Cardiac Arrest

Prayers up for him and their family. @gator1776 Can you preemptively post about the increase in cardiac arrests and its relationship to Covid and/or the vaccine?

Really? You have no idea why this happened, and this is where you go?

Prayers to this young man and his whole family. Hope he makes a full recovery!
If Twitter is any indication, it’s inevitable that this is coming, and I thought it’d be nice to get his thoughts in here as soon as possible.

I’m a physician in an unrelated specialty and I’m just genuinely curious what the expert opinion is on this.
I’m not a doctor but I can notice the spike in athletes getting blood clots or dropping like flies while playing their sport has definitely increased. But I’m not sure anyone is allowed to say why even though common sense folk know why

the real issue is that medical related discussions are even a political football (see how I tied that in) in the first place

Reactions: gatorjlm841
I’m not a doctor but I can notice the spike in athletes getting blood clots or dropping like flies while playing their sport has definitely increased. But I’m not sure anyone is allowed to say why even though common sense folk know why
To your point, all cause mortality rose by almost 40% worldwide and Myocarditis has risen sharply in young people in the last few years. Gee, I wonder why.

Can you question elsewhere? Threads get ruined when the politics of incidents like this get involved.
Seems more like a scientific discussion than a political one. I’m very centered politically, I’m liberal on some topics, conservative on others. I’m not sure how questioning the safety of these vaccines (lack of human trials, data, etc) makes this political? A major portion of the population was essentially a Guinea pig for an unproven drug and now we’re seeing the effects.

Seems more like a scientific discussion than a political one. I’m very centered politically, I’m liberal on some topics, conservative on others. I’m not sure how questioning the safety of these vaccines (lack of human trials, data, etc) makes this political? A major portion of the population was essentially a Guinea pig for an unproven drug and now we’re seeing the effects.
Scientific or political, they both can devolve into the same types of madness on message boards. Seen this topic locked on two other UF message boards today. Can we move that conversation elsewhere and keep this one on the basic well wishes and updates about the kid?

Want to discuss the unproven drug and how it affects today's athletes? We already have a board for that and it has a massive thread for that exact topic.

Reactions: dmlgator1
Really.....you don't see how this is political? You been living under a rock?

I am not going to offer my opinion but a quote, "As with blood clots, the incidence of severe myocarditis and pericarditis is MUCH higher in persons who are infected with COVID-19. This can lead to severe neurological, heart and other long-term health complications. Therefore, the benefits far outweigh the risks of receiving the COVID-19 vaccines."

I’m a physician in an unrelated specialty and I’m just genuinely curious what the expert opinion is on this.
What kind of physician does not know how to research "real" scientific data? If you need help, try scholar.google.com and you will get the real scientific data, such as this from the Journal of Cardiology, pretty much the bible regarding the heart.
This article gives exhaustive details of the covid virus and how it can cause cardiac issues. However regarding the Covid vaccine:
"

Myocarditis and COVID-19 vaccine​

Myocarditis has been recognized as one of the rare adverse effects of the COVID-19 vaccine, particularly that of mRNA type COVID-19 vaccines. The mechanism of myocardial injury is not yet determined but thought to be due to molecular mimicry at this time. Several theories have been proposed regarding the mechanism for the development of myocarditis. Molecular mimicry between the spike protein of SARS-CoV2 and self-antigens may cause dysregulated cytokine expression, and immune response to mRNA, which leads to activation and dysregulation of immune pathways in certain individuals [18].

According to the Advisory Committee of Immunization practices of approximately 300 million mRNA COVID-19 vaccines administered through June 2021, 1226 reports of possible myocarditis/pericarditis were filed with VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System). Out of these 1226 cases, nearly 67% were reported after the second dose, with 79% being reported in males mostly below the age of 24 years. Seemingly, there is a clear predilection to males when it comes to mRNA vaccine-associated myocarditis, but the mechanism is unknown currently.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reviewed and characterized 484 possible myocarditis cases in people below 29 years. Most cases had chest pain with the presentation with ST and T wave changes in ECG. Only 17% of these cases had abnormal cardiac imaging [19]. Per VAERS myocarditis cases reported a week after 2nd dose of mRNA vaccine was administered, crude reporting rates were calculated using national COVID vaccine administration data as of June 11, 2021. For every million second dose of mRNA COVID vaccine administered in males of 12–29 years there were 40.6 cases of myocarditis reported. In males above the age of 30 years, there were 2.4 cases reported per million of second doses of mRNA vaccine. Reporting rates among females in the same age rooms were 4.2 and 1.0 per million, second doses respectively [19]."
Wow 1226 cases of possible myocarditis in 300 million vaccines.
Read the entire article, incidence of cardiac events are much, much higher in patients who had covid vs those with covid vaccine related events. But it is a personal decision if someone wants to follow "opinions or science".

What kind of physician does not know how to research "real" scientific data?

One that is too busy to search for and read articles that have nothing to do with my clinical practice, and one that understands that no matter how many articles I read on this subject I’ll never have the level of understanding of someone practicing in a related specialty.

If somebody thinks they can't get covid, I have news for you. After 3.5 years of covid free existence and religious vaccinations I was infected. I contracted it through my 35 yo son, my DIL and my grandson, particularly the latter. He likes to spend time in grandpa's lap (who can resist). They should have tested as soon as they had symptoms but they waited and did not have time to isolate. My symptoms were light and it felt just like a regular cold. Thank god for vaccines or they would have been much worse. Lesson learned, test early. My wife did not get it but in the 42 years I have known her she never once had a cold even though I had plenty of colds. Some people are just more resistant.

Reactions: bigg8tr
Really? You have no idea why this happened, and this is where you go?

Prayers to this young man and his whole family. Hope he makes a full recovery!

Folks got to run with those anti-vax conspiracy theories.....

Scientific or political, they both can devolve into the same types of madness on message boards. Seen this topic locked on two other UF message boards today. Can we move that conversation elsewhere and keep this one on the basic well wishes and updates about the kid?

Want to discuss the unproven drug and how it affects today's athletes? We already have a board for that and it has a massive thread for that exact topic.

I hear you, but this is a Florida Gator message board, so one could argue that a thread on Lebron James' son who plays for USC doesn't really have a place here to begin with.

And I have no issue with it being posted here, but when we start individually deciding what’s in bounds and what’s not, it’s worth pointing out.

Last edited:
Reactions: robroy6019
not true, wonder where you are getting your facts, I been coaching and my family has been coaching and or trainers for over 60 years. I have been around when kids have unfortunately dropped dead back 15 years ago..my father told me about kids in Florida in the 80s and 90s that were dropping like flies due to cardiac events. Their has been no studies showing their is an increase of any kind. There are a bunch of old white dudes online spreading stories or rumors like it is the truth. You heard from someone else who knows someone else. Just let this crap though

higher risk of myocarditis in those that get covid then those that get the vaccine. Ill side with the scientists on this one over the websurfers.

edit for a few more studies...

not true, wonder where you are getting your facts, I been coaching and my family has been coaching and or trainers for over 60 years. I have been around when kids have unfortunately dropped dead back 15 years ago..my father told me about kids in Florida in the 80s and 90s that were dropping like flies due to cardiac events. Their has been no studies showing their is an increase of any kind. There are a bunch of old white dudes online spreading stories or rumors like it is the truth. You heard from someone else who knows someone else. Just let this crap though
I'm sorry but your isolated coaching experience doesn't speak for the entire world. I'm 43 I can't name one athlete in my lifetime where this happened. Just in the past two years we've had Keyonte Johnson, Damar Hamlin, Bronny, England soccer dude during men's world cup etc....that's 4 off the top of my head. 3 of which I saw on TV in live time. I've watched sports my entire life and never seen 1 dude drop and now I've personally seen 3 scenarios while watching the sporting event.

I know just as many Pubs as I do Libs that got the shot. I don't care what side of the aisle is on, someone needs to speak up and figure out why these are happening. But of course the govt has HIPPA laws that claim to protect the person but deep down really prevent the cause of these scenarios from having to be discussed under the disguise of the players best interest.

I will not get political because that is a no-win situation for anyone. So to stay objective-

Young athletes suffering from sudden cardiac death IS “normal”. In fact, sudden cardiac death amongst young athletes has been the leading cause of death for decades now.

From 2004-2008, 273 NCAA student-athletes died from sudden cardiac death; more than any other cause of death. Heart disease/prevention and screening amongst younger athletes was a major focus of the sports medicine community well before COVID-19.

Here’s a simple article from 10+ years that emphasizes the seriousness of SCD amongst young athletes as a leading cause of mortality-

The only appropriate response right now is to give respect to the James’ family and pray for an expedient and full recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmlgator1
I'm sorry but your isolated coaching experience doesn't speak for the entire world. I'm 43 I can't name one athlete in my lifetime where this happened. Just in the past two years we've had Keyonte Johnson, Damar Hamlin, Bronny, England soccer dude during men's world cup etc....that's 4 off the top of my head. 3 of which I saw on TV in live time. I've watched sports my entire life and never seen 1 dude drop and now I've personally seen 3 scenarios while watching the sporting event.

I know just as many Pubs as I do Libs that got the shot. I don't care what side of the aisle is on, someone needs to speak up and figure out why these are happening. But of course the govt has HIPPA laws that claim to protect the person but deep down really prevent the cause of these scenarios from having to be discussed under the disguise of the players best interest.
now the truth comes out..you want to throw out Libs..Kelly anne I am sure you have a bunch of alternative facts just sitting right next to you

Ever hear of Hank Gathers. If your a big sports fan you should have. My roommate at the time was attending LMU when that all went down.....I had gone to several of their games. Sad times for sure.

Its funny how you knock the other poster for his isolated experience and then use your own isolated experience to back up your POV.

Happy Cracking Up GIF by MOODMAN

the real issue is that medical related discussions are even a political football (see how I tied that in) in the first place

Ever hear of Hank Gathers. If your a big sports fan you should have. My roommate at the time was attending LMU when that all went down.....I had gone to several of their games. Sad times for sure.

Its funny how you knock the other poster for his isolated experience and then use your own isolated experience to back up your POV.
I'm convinced that Hank Gathers had a severe electrolyte issue, which is the same thing my older son had when he played basketball collegiately. The sad thing is that we had to research and figure it out ourselves as most doctors aren't literate in that area. When you're body is really short on Magnesium, it can send you into cardiac arrest. We had our son on a strong Magnesium supplement while he played to prevent that occurrence and it as quite effective

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT