ADVERTISEMENT

Is Donovan leaving?

It is time to be "foxhole priests" all.

BILLY, IF YOU STAY I SWEAR I WILL BUY SEASON TICKETS FOR MY ENTIRE FAMILY, GO TO EVERY GAME AND DONATE GOBS OF MONEY TO THE PROGRAM!
Sincerely, GatorGray.

For 19 years Billy coached in an empty gym unless Kentucky was in town. You wait till he's gone to show support?

I haven't heard one UK fan happy about this. Billy was so good for this conference. I have zero allegiance to UF, but I'm sad to see him go. Happy for him, but sad for the SEC and the SEC fans.
There are a few over on your board. But your overall point is well taken. Most knowledgeable UK fans like and respect Billy

According to Ian O’Connor of ESPN.com, one of the reasons Billy Donovan accepted the Oklahoma City Thunder job is because he is tired of recruiting against John Calipari in the SEC.

“Billy Donovan told a friend he consulted with this week that a losing SEC recruiting struggle with Kentucky was wearing on him,” O’Connor reports.

Florida has too many resources to suck at basketball. Florida will be fine, but Foley needs to make the right hire. Kruger laid the foundation; Billy built it, and now someone has to maintain it. I wonder if Billy was on his way out during the season; there is no way that Florida should have had the season that they had. Most of us are sad to see Billy go, but I'll be interested to see how well he does. I remember Kruger vaguely, but have really only known Donovan as the coach of the Gators.

Reactions: cnewz
Billy lost some good players to Kentucky: Patterson, Bledsoe, Brandon Knight and Poythress just of the top of my head. But he got some good players too post 07: Calathes, Parsons, Boynton, Pat Young, Beal, Wilbekin, and he did beat Kentucky 3 times last year and go to the Final 4.

He went to the NBA because he wanted to coach in the NBA, period.

Billy lost some good players to Kentucky: Patterson, Bledsoe, Brandon Knight and Poythress just of the top of my head. But he got some good players too post 07: Calathes, Parsons, Boynton, Pat Young, Beal, Wilbekin, and he did beat Kentucky 3 times last year and go to the Final 4.

He went to the NBA because he wanted to coach in the NBA, period.

Billy finished his Florida career with a 15-29 record vs UK.

because half of the games were played in mobb boss haven with no chance to compete

Billy owes us nothing, and he gave us some of the best memories ever. If he wants a shot at the big time, well then, sadgator says "Thanks a bunch and good luck!"

Well said, sad. I agree 100% If Billy doesn't ever return to coach, I hope he at least returns to retire a Gator and see our court named after him,

Billy went to the NBA because it was a "challenge" that he wants to take on and something he has always wanted to do. Nothing more, nothing less. He's already one of the greatest college basketball coach's of all-time. I wish him nothing but success in the NBA. He's a great coach, but an even better person.

Only Kentucky fans could make Billy Donovan leaving Florida about UK and the NBA development league team that the school sponsors.

Reactions: cnewz
Your right. You'll be starting from scratch. There's no "brand" in UF hoops before/without Donovan. Tremendous coach and that's that.

I don't totally agree with this. While it is mostly Donovan, he was here long enough for it to "spread" to UF. That is why the four signees are sticking (pending the announcement of the new hire). In addition, there will be no shortage of quality coaches wanting the job. Foley just has to pick the right one.

I'm concerned that Foley will once again go for the diamond in the rough and take a largely unnecessary risk. He's all about the hires that will make him look like a wunderkind if they pan out - his ego won't let him go after the proven winners, of which there should be plenty interested. Gregg Marshall would be a great one.

If he whiffs on this, we'll probably be back to being a football school. Softball school rather.

If he whiffs on this, we'll probably be back to being a football school. Softball school rather.

Softball and Gymnastics -- don't disrespect the gals who have now won 3 National Championships in a row.

Billy Donovan did things at UF that probably only a few coaches could do. He was THAT good. He will be missed just not on the court, but off the court as well. We knew at least I did that this day would come at some point. I wish him the best and will root for him. I'm a little concerned for him that neither Durant nor Westbrook will resign with OKC though. I see those two going to bigger market franchises.

Just watched his farewell presser. What a classy guy. I will certainly miss him.

Looks like we're going to lose Kevaughn Allen. Bummer. I'm still for holding out to find the right guy, but if Archie Miller is interested, I'd like to wrap it up sooner rather than later.

According to Ian O’Connor of ESPN.com, one of the reasons Billy Donovan accepted the Oklahoma City Thunder job is because he is tired of recruiting against John Calipari in the SEC.

“Billy Donovan told a friend he consulted with this week that a losing SEC recruiting struggle with Kentucky was wearing on him,” O’Connor reports.

Yeah, because there are only 5 basketball players available every year and he was tired of Kentucky getting them all.

Idiot.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops · 2h2 hours ago
Hearing reports that KeVaughn Allen wanting out of LOI at UF may be a little premature. May be in wait and see mode w/new coach.

Obviously way more important that we hire the right guy, but it would be nice to keep Allen. In the Rivals article, his stepdad said they had to wait until a new coach was hired to get out of their LOI, which doesn't sound right to me, but hopefully he gives the new coach a chance.

Obviously way more important that we hire the right guy, but it would be nice to keep Allen. In the Rivals article, his stepdad said they had to wait until a new coach was hired to get out of their LOI, which doesn't sound right to me, but hopefully he gives the new coach a chance.

The Rivals article was written by the Arkansas affiliate. They (Brockway & the Rivals guy) are getting the same information, it is just their individual biases that cause them to word it slightly differently. Note they both say he will wait until the new coach is hired. If he is going to ask out of the LOI regardless, why would he wait? To me that says 'let's see who is hired, talk to them and THEN decide'. It is probably still an uphill battle for UF to keep him unless we happen to hire someone that he already knows (e.g. someone who recruited him previously).

We averaged over 10K in a 12K seat stadium.

Idiot.

Oh, wait, already used that one.

Moron.

Stay classy. Expect Tenn, Miss St, Auburn, and Arkansas to all pass Florida in the basketball pecking order. Florida basketball as you and I know it, is Finito.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT