ADVERTISEMENT

Is Donovan leaving?

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
If Brooks is really gone I think Donovan is probably leaving. He won't get a better situation than that probably to make the jump.

Them firing Brooks is bad news. I've read that their GM Presti is a big Donovan fan. Donovan and Kevin Ollie are the two guys they're talking about. Ollie played with KD and Russ, but says he is staying at UCONN. If KD comes back healthy, Donovan might be able to win a ring next year with OKC. But he would only have KD for one more year (maybe less if they have to trade him) and Russ for two more.

I'm sure it will get interesting.

Sounds like he's gone. Greg Swaim just tweeted that his agent and OKC are meeting this very moment. A big blow to the SEC if so.

Sounds like he's gone. Greg Swaim just tweeted that his agent and OKC are meeting this very moment. A big blow to the SEC if so.

Greg Swaim is an idiot who routinely flat out makes stuff up. I have no idea what is going on with the Thunder but Greg Swaim would be one of the last people on earth to have any kind of clue.

I really don't understand why a good coach like Billy would ever want to coach in the NBA. In the NBA you have overpaid prima donna players who loaf half of the time and rarely listen to a coach. In comparison if Billy stays at UF which he built he has the chance of going down within a very small group of all time greats. The biggest difference is that in college if you're a great coach you can recruit your players and have a talent advantage. In the NBA you have to work with the talent you're dealt and if you can't get a top line star you simply cannot challenge for a title no matter how good of a coach you are.

Doesn't seem like much of a choice.

The stuff I've read says that Billy's sick of recruiting. And he's consistently said that the NBA appeals to him, because you don't have to think about anything but basketball. Supposedly he'd make $5 million a year, and obviously he'd have his pick of jobs if the NBA didn't work out. If he works with a GM that can get and keep players, I would bet on him being extremely successful in the NBA.

If he does leave, I wonder if we'll go with an interim Pelphrey or Grant for a year. It would be nice to keep the incoming class together. Kevaughn Allen is real good. He might be the best freshman we've had since Beal. I'd like them to take their time to find a successor. If we hired the wrong guy, we'd be a mid-level SEC team within 2 years.

I can see this being another Spurrier situation...leaves us, our program falls, he doesn't succeed like he thinks he will, comes back and coaches a rival...

Definitely a possibility. I think the only SEC programs he'd come back for though would be us or Kentucky, god forbid.

The Thunder job is about the only NBA job that would be reason to leave. Most college coaches get offered terrible teams. This job is definitely not one of those.

The internet is blowing up with rumors he has been contacted by OLK. And that if offered, he will accept.

If true, God Speed Billy. You deserve any opportunity that comes your way

I really don't understand why a good coach like Billy would ever want to coach in the NBA. In the NBA you have overpaid prima donna players who loaf half of the time and rarely listen to a coach. In comparison if Billy stays at UF which he built he has the chance of going down within a very small group of all time greats. The biggest difference is that in college if you're a great coach you can recruit your players and have a talent advantage. In the NBA you have to work with the talent you're dealt and if you can't get a top line star you simply cannot challenge for a title no matter how good of a coach you are.

Doesn't seem like much of a choice.
he has been great for you guys it would be a shame to loose him. At South Carolina we dont anything like what you guyshave and my wife is a flordia gator I pull for you guys always except when you are kicking our fannys.

I see the draw. Usually a coach moving up is taking over a bad situation, but OKC has two of the top 10 players in the league. They'll be competing for championships as long as KD and Westbrook are there. That said, if it was me, I wouldn't take the job. The championship roster is great, but if they don't win it in the near future then all the blame falls on Billy because it for sure won't be blamed on Durant or Westbrook. And then there's job security. He won't ever have a problem finding another job, but at UF he has a job until he retires whereas he might have to move around a bit at other spots. It's really all on what you prefer, neither is a bad choice really.

ok_abandoned_farmhouse_hdr.jpg

OKLAHOMA? WTF?

Oklahoma is so friggin desolate that it reminds me of OKLAHOMA.

The bad thing about any professional sport is there is no job security. If Billy leaves, then after 3 years is fired then he just dug himself into a deep hole. He has job security at UF.

The bad thing about any professional sport is there is no job security. If Billy leaves, then after 3 years is fired then he just dug himself into a deep hole. He has job security at UF.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think Donovan would have a hard time find another job if necessary.

This is a tweet from the sports reporter at the Norman Transcript, a suburb of OKC.

Michael Kinney @EyeAmTruth · now5 minutes ago
Word is Coach K was at Charlestons today for lunch. Also hearing he met with Kevin Durant. Interesting going ons with the #Thunder and #OKC

Another reporter just tweeted this.

Alex Roig‏@ThatsOKCBball
Hearing a lot of rumors that Coach K may be in play for the Thunder job. Bennett and McClendon in Durham last wk, Coach K in OKC today.

Coach K and his one and done factory is ruining college basketball so the pros would be a perfect fit for him. On a more serious note, I would be less surprised to see Jesus returning on a white unicorn that I would be if K announced that he is leaving Duke.

While I agree with this in theory, you DO realize he could never work another day in his life and live like a King, right?

Plus while he may bit get another job in the NBA if he bombs, there isn't a college program out there that wouldn't hire him if he came back. This is win-win for him either way. If he goes and wins big at the NBA level he goes down as a legend. Bombs and he comes back I cokk

Reactions: ArmyWildcat81
if Billy leaves I will not watch sports of any kind for 5 years. WTF is going on?

Did we cash in major karma point with Urban?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT