ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Baseball & Softball Thread

Yeah well people do improve as they gain experience. You’re probably a much more well rounded person than when you were 19. Someday maybe cags will do as much for UF as you have.
Pretty sure he's 19 right now...or at least his post seem like they are written by 19 year old 10th grade drop out.

I suppose what annoys me is that uf lost despite having more rest, fresher pitchers, and that LSU didn't even need skenes to win.

It would be like having a bye week in football and getting beat by a back up qb.
Yeah it was all set up for us. LSU was just a lot better. Wouldn’t have expected them to outpitch us without Skenes.

Reactions: KingofHedgehogs
Pretty sure he's 19 right now...or at least his post seem like they are written by 19 year old 10th grade drop out.
G8trpaul is not a good or mature UF poster. This isn’t the first time he’s acted like this when it comes to UF baseball. Some people need to get a grip.

Reactions: gatordad3
I suppose what annoys me is that uf lost despite having more rest, fresher pitchers, and that LSU didn't even need skenes to win.

It would be like having a bye week in football and getting beat by a back up qb.
Hurd was average during the regular season, but he's been really good in the postseason. Once they got up 9-2 feels like we packed it in. Easy to pitch in that situation. LSU was better.

Hurd was average during the regular season, but he's been really good in the postseason. Once they got up 9-2 feels like we packed it in. Easy to pitch in that situation. LSU was better.
Yeah. I thought it was weird we never saw Abner. A couple other guys who got innings in the pen in the regular season that never pitched in the postseason. It was weird to see Purnell and Nesbit get innings for the first time in two months. I wonder if there were injuries or even transfer stuff going on. I couldn’t believe it when we ran Purnell out there yesterday to face white, bases loaded up 4.

Yeah. I thought it was weird we never saw Abner. A couple other guys who got innings in the pen in the regular season that never pitched in the postseason. It was weird to see Purnell and Nesbit get innings for the first time in two months. I wonder if there were injuries or even transfer stuff going on. I couldn’t believe it when we ran Purnell out there yesterday to face white, bases loaded up 4.
Word is Abner was sick. But not sure on that. We pitched extremely well all post season right up until the championship series. We couldn't find the strike zone. I believe we ended up with 24 walks and 6 hit batters over 29 innings. That's a free pass per inning.

Word is Abner was sick. But not sure on that. We pitched extremely well all post season right up until the championship series. We couldn't find the strike zone. I believe we ended up with 24 walks and 6 hit batters over 29 innings. That's a free pass per inning.
Yeah it was just Abner missing. Purnell, Fic and Nesbit were next in innings.

National champs in Men's Golf & Men's Outdoor Track & Field; National runners-up in Women's Outdoor track & Field, gymnastics & baseball. Pretty dang good, IMO.
Tough game tonight. Too many free passes and just couldn't get the bats going. That 6 run 2nd inning left us shell-shocked, I think, and we never recovered. Gotta replace Sproat, Waldrep, Langford, Riopelle & Rivera. Got a good core coming back, plus a tremendous freshman class coming in along with some excellent portal guys. We'll be good again in 2024. We won the SEC regular season title, which is always the first objective. Post season accomplishments are icing on the cake. Hate to lose to LSU especially, but it happened. Lick our wounds, celebrate all the good and look forward to next year. It's great to be a Florida Gator!!!

UT stud closer Burns has entered the portal. Guy consistently hit 100-101 on the gun. I believe he wants to be a starter. Heard LSU is his top choice.

• Sad
UF 3 - 4 LSU

UF 24 - 4 LSU

UF 4 - 18 LSU

Timing is everything..... 😏

• Sad
No surprise on any of those. And candidly not huge losses. I do wish them well however.
I'm surprised Deric isn't coming back to try to win the SS job. But his lack of hitting hurt his chances last year and this. He played more as a freshman, primarily at 3rd base, then started this season at 2nd. But once Cade Kurland got his chance at 2nd, he just took the job away. Fabian's natural position is SS and with Rivera leaving, there's an opening. But when Sully signed Colby Shelton from Alabama in the portal, that pretty much solved the SS problem. Shelton was Bama's best hitter as a freshman. He played 3rd there this year and had a lot of errors. He's a natural SS and may get some competition from a couple of incoming freshmen, but Shelton will be in the lineup. And with Halter at 3rd and Cags at 1st, that leaves Fabian the odd man out. Deric was a team guy all the way, always on the dugout steps and often first out on the field to congratulate a big hit or big play. Class act.
Personally, I didn't think Prevesk nor Nesbitt got enough opportunity to prove themselves and when they did play they were usually good. Both are talented guys who will help a team next year. That's 8 guys we've lost to the portal, with a few more coming I would imagine. And 3 pick-ups from the portal, with hopefully a couple more to come, along with a high quality signing class. Although it will be tough to replace Riopelle, Langford, Rivera, Sproat and Waldrep, this team will be very good again next year.

Last edited:

9 Gator Baseball players transferring out (so far)

P Anthony Ursitti
P Tyler Nesbitt
P Joel Tejada
P Karston Finnvold
C Rene Lastres
C Salvy Alvarez
IF Deric Fabian
OF Matt Prevesk
P Clete Hartzog

Last edited:
I'm surprised Deric isn't coming back to try to win the SS job. But his lack of hitting hurt his chances last year and this. He played more as a freshman, primarily at 3rd base, then started this season at 2nd. But once Cade Kurland got his chance at 2nd, he just took the job away. Fabian's natural position is SS and with Rivera leaving, there's an opening. But when Sully signed Colby Shelton from Alabama in the portal, that pretty much solved the SS problem. Shelton was Bama's best hitter as a freshman. He played 3rd there this year and had a lot of errors. He's a natural SS and may get some competition from a couple of incoming freshmen, but Shelton will be in the lineup. And with Halter at 3rd and Cags at 1st, that leaves Fabian the odd man out. Deric was a team guy all the way, always on the dugout steps and often first out on the field to congratulate a big hit or big play. Class act.
Personally, I didn't think Prevesk nor Nesbitt got enough opportunity to prove themselves and when they did play they were usually good. Both are talented guys who will help a team next year. That's 8 guys we've lost to the portal, with a few more coming I would imagine. And 3 pick-ups from the portal, with hopefully a couple more to come, along with a high quality signing class. Although it will be tough to replace Riopelle, Langford, Rivera, Sproat and Waldrep, this team will be very good again next year.
Fabian would've only cracked the lineup if there were injuries. My gut tells me there are 1-2 high quality transfers Sully will nab. But I agree, we should be very good again next year. I doubt we produce the same power numbers, but I would not be surprised to see greater consistency.

Gator signee Pitcher Steven Enchavarria was drafted this morning by the A's in the 3rd round with pick #81, slot value $1.01 million. Good chance he signs. We'll see how many other UF high school signees get drafted today and if any of them decide to go pro.
Meanwhile, Wyatt Langford was drafted with pick #4 by the Texas Rangers, slot value $7.7 million. Hurston Waldrep was drafted by the Braves with pick #24 in the first round, with a slot value of $3.27 million. Brandon Sproat was drafted by the Mets in the 2nd round with pick #56, slot value $1.47 million and Josh Rivera was picked just a few minutes ago in Round 3 with pick #81, slot value $872,400.

Education.
Pretty girls in over-flow numbers.
Time to learn, grow, mature, and enjoy your last few years as a free man.

Or 'get a job' so you can take the money and run....
If your family is destitute and desperately needs the money I can understand.
Otherwise,,,, WTF-over???

Education.
Pretty girls in over-flow numbers.
Time to learn, grow, mature, and enjoy your last few years as a free man.

Or 'get a job' so you can take the money and run....
If your family is destitute and desperately needs the money I can understand.
Otherwise,,,, WTF-over???
I don't totally disagree, but their job would be playing baseball. That's not too shabby of a way to make a living.

I don't totally disagree, but their job would be playing baseball. That's not too shabby of a way to make a living.
Then you need to research how they live and what they are put threw, especially when that's compared to what college baseball players enjoy at a place like UF....

"All of the other draft picks and I were put up in dorms at "Tigertown" in Lakeland. The dorms were worse than any college dorms I’ve ever seen. We're talking tile floors, springy bunk beds, nasty community showers, the smell of mold — the whole nine yards." -- continue at this link...

And the MLB $$$ will still be there for those good enough to make it to the league.

BUT, if pro baseball (actually making it all the way to playing in a pro team's lineup) doesn't work out for someone, it's pretty nice to have a college degree to fall back on....

Reactions: Nicktheslick
No other Gator signees were selected in the first 10 rounds of the MLB draft. That's great news because it was projected that 2 or 3 besides Echivarria would go. Rising junior pitcher Phillip Abner was picked in the 6th round by the Diamondbacks, so we'll see if he signs. But that means Colby Halter should be back. Overall, a good day for the Florida baseball program.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Abner either signs or he transfers. I believe Bradley mentioned he is one of 3-5 players hitting the portal.

Then you need to research how they live and what they are put threw, especially when that's compared to what college baseball players enjoy at a place like UF....

"All of the other draft picks and I were put up in dorms at "Tigertown" in Lakeland. The dorms were worse than any college dorms I’ve ever seen. We're talking tile floors, springy bunk beds, nasty community showers, the smell of mold — the whole nine yards." -- continue at this link...

And the MLB $$$ will still be there for those good enough to make it to the league.

BUT, if pro baseball (actually making it all the way to playing in a pro team's lineup) doesn't work out for someone, it's pretty nice to have a college degree to fall back on....
Sounds like they are describing the life of your average college student. Crappy dorms, crappy food, etc. Again, they get to play baseball for a living and chase their dream. Unless you get very specialized, college degrees don't hold much value in today's employment market.

Sounds like they are describing the life of your average college student.

The dorms were worse than any college dorms I’ve ever seen. We're talking tile floors, springy bunk beds, nasty community showers, the smell of mold — the whole nine yards."

Six Gators and two of Florida’s high school commitments were selected in the 2023 MLB Draft, offering eight players in total the chance to go to pro across the three-day, 20-round event.

1/4 LF Wyatt Langford - Jr

1/24 RHP Hurston Waldrep - Jr

2/56 RHP Brandon Sproat - Jr

3/72 RHP Steven Echavarria - 2024 Commit

3/81 SS Josh Rivera - Jr

6/175 LHP Philip Abner - Soph

17/496 INF Colby Halter - Jr

18/529 SS/INF Stone Russell - 2024 Commit

Each prospect has the option to join the Gators for the 2024 campaign or enter the farm system of their pro teams now, with most of those decisions being influenced largely by the negotiations surrounding the player's signing bonus.

Six Gators and two of Florida’s high school commitments were selected in the 2023 MLB Draft, offering eight players in total the chance to go to pro across the three-day, 20-round event.

1/4 LF Wyatt Langford - Jr

1/24 RHP Hurston Waldrep - Jr

2/56 RHP Brandon Sproat - Jr

3/72 RHP Steven Echavarria - 2024 Commit

3/81 SS Josh Rivera - Jr

6/175 LHP Philip Abner - Soph

17/496 INF Colby Halter - Jr

18/529 SS/INF Stone Russell - 2024 Commit

Each prospect has the option to join the Gators for the 2024 campaign or enter the farm system of their pro teams now, with most of those decisions being influenced largely by the negotiations surrounding the player's signing bonus.
We weren't hit too bad with our recruits. If you are a first or second round pick take the 7 figures. Not worth risking injury unless you come from a well off family. 3rd to 5th round could be a tough decision.

We weren't hit too bad with our recruits. If you are a first or second round pick take the 7 figures. Not worth risking injury unless you come from a well off family. 3rd to 5th round could be a tough decision.

#10 RHP Steven Echavarria (UF commit): Oakland Athletics:​

3/72 --- Slot value: $1.01 million --- O.28 ERA, 96 mph fastball

Echavarria is leaning toward signing with the Athletics but has yet to reach a final decision, according to NJ.com.

Big time get for the Gator softball program. Just need to close the deal on 2 quality pitchers and this team will be set to challenge for titles again in 2024.
Look at her freshman stats. She's going to be a star at UF and can catch, ply first or in the outfield. Very versatile.

Reactions: Countygator1
Big time get for the Gator softball program. Just need to close the deal on 2 quality pitchers and this team will be set to challenge for titles again in 2024.
Look at her freshman stats. She's going to be a star at UF and can catch, ply first or in the outfield. Very versatile.
Good get

The UCLA pitcher wasn't drafted. He signed as an undrafted free agent. Very little, if any, signing money. Makes no sense after committing to Florida just a couple of weeks ago as a grad transfer.
Ocala,

TVM = Time Value of Money

Don't know his economic/family situation

MLB scouts not stupid.
"Little Money" in the here & now has greater weight - especially if you struggling.
That, plus not having to take graduate classes, & a good sales pitch by the team is all it took.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT