ADVERTISEMENT

Yep. Definitely racism...

I don't really know. Are people racists in GA, a lot....most people who aren't from FL...I was born near Lakeland/lived in Orlando/ moved to the west coast 5 years ago and lived their 35 out of 40 years, 3rd generation Floridian. I know people and the state...are their racist in places? Yes, so are some white, black, spanish and other people. I think he just wanted to play and got told BS from who really recruited him. Doubt the racism is the thing. He's a real good player and can ball. I think he was lied too and he's pulling the card again or cant get away from the questions....it worked. Maybe it's happening but he should have sat a year IMO. NCAA are so soft these days. Either way looks like UGA has a bad scheme and I hope you all lose Saturday. What a sad season if you lose to those sorry ass Gators this year. Kirby's a good coach but some of you make him look like a used car salesman.

Last edited:
Abused spouse syndrome. Saw the pretty dress in the pickup truck and ignored the black eye in order to return to what’s “comfortable.” “I know he loves me...”

Justin Fields transfered from UGA because he didn’t like the depth chart...

Of course. And it was the right decision. He might play for a title and is on his way to a top 10 draft spot.

These recruits are awake to the fact that years sitting on the bench, or a year sitting out after transferring, could cost a player millions, tens of millions. Players aren’t going to be having that, nor should they.

As far as the negative recruiting, leave the racism bs out of it. I think it’s just as effective to tell a qb recruit: hey look these dumb bastards had Justin Fields and couldn’t figure out what do to with him. Is that who you want to trust your draft status to?

Of course. And it was the right decision. He might play for a title and is on his way to a top 10 draft spot.

These recruits are awake to the fact that years sitting on the bench, or a year sitting out after transferring, could cost a player millions, tens of millions. Players aren’t going to be having that, nor should they.
I'm also sure Fields didn't want to play for an OC named John Ford Coley either.

^This.

Although people in Ohio are racist, just not openly so. I prefer my racism out in the open.
I find that people from 98% white towns in the Midwest are the most racist people of all.

Fields is from Kennesaw, he has a sister at uga, the NCAA allowing him to transfer penalty free by claiming racism is the joke here. It sets a bad precedent.

I find that people from 98% white towns in the Midwest are the most racist people of all.

Fields is from Kennesaw, he has a sister at uga, the NCAA allowing him to transfer penalty free by claiming racism is the joke here. It sets a bad precedent.
Don't forget Michigan. Although I can look the other way on that one because, Muslims.

Actually, the joke is that an enterprise like college football, with revenue at $1.1 billion, restricts where these guys can play on top of not allowing them to earn the market rate for their talent and work.

Absurdities like these transfer waivers are necessary to keep someone from filing a lawsuit that blows up the whole system. Like the Governor in Blazin' Saddles put it: Gentleman we've got to protect our phoney baloney jobs!

^This.

Although people in Ohio are racist, just not openly so. I prefer my racism out in the open.

I've been all over the U.S., and a good part of the World.
Racism is universal, and so are all the other human traits. o_O
Universal is what makes something a trait... :rolleyes:

I've never needed a special skin color to dislike anyone. :cool:
A flaming asshole designation is all I need. ;)

Actually, the joke is that an enterprise like college football, with revenue at $1.1 billion, restricts where these guys can play on top of not allowing them to earn the market rate for their talent and work.

Absurdities like these transfer waivers are necessary to keep someone from filing a lawsuit that blows up the whole system. Like the Governor in Blazin' Saddles put it: Gentleman we've got to protect our phoney baloney jobs!
I hear you, but paying college athletes is a slippery slope and would eventually ruin college athletics. There may be a way to add a stipend to athletics scholarships. But doing so would mean that we would depend on NCAA oversight to keep people from cheating.

Don’t lose sight of the fact that a scholarship is a contract. School pays for your overpriced education and you play ball for the school. The school profits in this endeavor, it’s capitalism. Just like a big company that contacts it’s workers for a salary and then makes a profit from its employee’s work product. If you have signed a non compete contract then you can’t just run to the competition at will. Same with athletes.

Now you may argue that the athletes “salary” is too low. But we can’t just let schools pay whatever they want. It would be the Wild West, and would destroy competitive balance and soon thereafter the game as a whole. We all love college football BECAUSE they are amateurs. Playing for money changes everything....Exhibit A : the NoFunLeague

I hear you, but paying college athletes is a slippery slope and would eventually ruin college athletics. There may be a way to add a stipend to athletics scholarships. But doing so would mean that we would depend on NCAA oversight to keep people from cheating.

Don’t lose sight of the fact that a scholarship is a contract. School pays for your overpriced education and you play ball for the school. The school profits in this endeavor, it’s capitalism. Just like a big company that contacts it’s workers for a salary and then makes a profit from its employee’s work product. If you have signed a non compete contract then you can’t just run to the competition at will. Same with athletes.

Now you may argue that the athletes “salary” is too low. But we can’t just let schools pay whatever they want. It would be the Wild West, and would destroy competitive balance and soon thereafter the game as a whole. We all love college football BECAUSE they are amateurs. Playing for money changes everything....Exhibit A : the NoFunLeague

I probably shouldn't add to this because it was well thought out and well written but I think at the very least, athletes should be able to profit from their likenesses. Even though Tim Tebow disagrees with me vehemently.

Of course it would (WILL) ruin college athletics. But the fact remains that marketable college athletes are treated differently, contractually, then in just about any other money making enterprise that you can think of.

The model is about as far from capitalist as it gets. Everybody gets the same compensation (scholarship to the school) regardless of whether you're a star quarterback, whose skills would be worth a $50 million contract in a professional market, or a backup for the woman's softball team. Add in the fact that administrators and coaches split up the revenue for themselves, and actually you've got a model pretty comparable to communism.

In the market, any contract is reviewed for basic fairness. Contracts that a party has no choice but to sign are called contracts of adhesion, and they are routinely rescinded by courts.

Non-competes are reviewed in court for overbreadth in all areas, geography, duration, scope of restriction on the type of work, etc... If Fields challenged his scholarship agreement under a non-compete standard, I can promise you it would get blown up in Court.

The NCAA doesn't want to have this argument, because it is a loser. So they are allowing the transfers, and granting more and more of these ridiculous waivers, as kind of a pressure release valve to avoid the whole system blowing up, which it will, inevitably. The skills these kids have are worth too much money, and they're figuring it out.

It has to come to an end. The unfairness is too blatant. And it will suck. But when it blows up, and these kids are grabbing cash just like everyone else, then THAT will be consistent with capitalism.

Reactions: keyzer soze
I can't blame Fields. Personally, I think he would have killed it in Gainesville with the style of offense he's built for.

Reactions: bradleygator
I probably shouldn't add to this because it was well thought out and well written but I think at the very least, athletes should be able to profit from their likenesses. Even though Tim Tebow disagrees with me vehemently.

If athletes coming out of HS can profit from their likeness, or on anything else, they are certainly free to do so.

However, if they contract with a school to do a job for the benefits offered in the contract, then that's the deal.

After that contract is over, one way or another, then they are again free to profit in any manner that they are able to. Workers all over the world abide by contracts. They are free to enter into a contract, or free to go it on their own. Choose....

But if they didn't think know that it was a damn good deal to begin, then why sign? And why are so many still competing to get one of those exclusive (ship offer) contracts?

Leave HS, pay your own way to train and develop physically, and when you're old enough go get a F/A NFL workout and see how it goes,,,, without a college education of course. It's still a 'free market' workplace. I'm glad that TT agrees with me and not you... :D:p:D

He never did use the race card even though UGA fans keep speculating he did.

And why is it students on academic scholarship can make money off their likeness? What’s the difference? Students in art school can sell and profit off their works of art. Same for students in music school. If you’re in business school you can go work for a company and make money in school and nobody talks about the college experience being ruined because of it. All of a sudden when it comes to athletes though making money off their likeness is the end of times.

end of the day the NFL is to blame. They need to develop their own minor league system where players can be drafted by franchises directly out of HS like every other sport but they won’t do that because college football is their minor league system and they get it for free and save hundreds of millions because of it. Then we can have the people who actually want to be in college in college and those who don’t want to be don’t have to be and we can maintain this fake ideal of amateurism .

I can't blame Fields. Personally, I think he would have killed it in Gainesville with the style of offense he's built for.

I didn’t realize how big he was. He is a hoss at the goal line. Would have been perfect with Mullen. But he’s doing pretty good up in Columbus.

And why is it students on academic scholarship can make money off their likeness? What’s the difference? Students in art school can sell and profit off their works of art. Same for students in music school. If you’re in business school you can go work for a company and make money in school and nobody talks about the college experience being ruined because of it. All of a sudden when it comes to athletes though making money off their likeness is the end of times.

end of the day the NFL is to blame. They need to develop their own minor league system where players can be drafted by franchises directly out of HS like every other sport but they won’t do that because college football is their minor league system and they get it for free and save hundreds of millions because of it. Then we can have the people who actually want to be in college in college and those who don’t want to be don’t have to be and we can maintain this fake ideal of amateurism .

I think this is a really interesting debate. I actually like the NCAA model. I like that revenue sports subsidize non-revenue sports. And I think that probably in all but a handful of cases (probably limited to athletes that get drafted in MLB,NFL, NHL and NBA, and Olympic/professional level athletes in other sports) the value of a scholarship is probably worth more than any college athlete could negotiate in the market.

But it is objectively an anti-competitive model. The players most responsible for winning big games and getting your team on tv, in most cases guys who will soon sign contracts reflecting an immense market value, are subsidizing everyone else, not just in their sport but in others. And I bet most of the posters supporting it are otherwise supporters of open markets.

Reactions: gatordad3
More like fans and coaches of other schools speculating and outright saying that’s why he left. He just made all of those folks liars.

Your own fans did the same. All over crushing him for playing the race card to get eligible and none of that ever came from that side. I said on this board last year before even mid season he was leaving because I had heard it from people close to him and y’all predictably went awol.

I think this is a really interesting debate. I actually like the NCAA model. I like that revenue sports subsidize non-revenue sports. And I think that probably in all but a handful of cases (probably limited to athletes that get drafted in MLB,NFL, NHL and NBA, and Olympic/professional level athletes in other sports) the value of a scholarship is probably worth more than any college athlete could negotiate in the market.

But it is objectively an anti-competitive model. The players most responsible for winning big games and getting your team on tv, in most cases guys who will soon sign contracts reflecting an immense market value, are subsidizing everyone else, not just in their sport but in others. And I bet most of the posters supporting it are otherwise supporters of open markets.

I’m fine with the NCAA model too. The issue is really the NFL. It benefits the NCAA so they collude with the NFL to have players in school three years before they can turn pro. The NFL gets a free minor league as a result. None of the other leagues will sign high school players either. So the argument that players don’t have to accept a scholarship is disingenuous as shit. There’s no where else to go play after HS to showcase your talent if you don’t want to go to college and it’s strictly due to collusion. It’s always weird how the so called free market folks support that.

Reactions: bradleygator
I’m fine with the NCAA model too. The issue is really the NFL. It benefits the NCAA so they collude with the NFL to have players in school three years before they can turn pro. The NFL gets a free minor league as a result. None of the other leagues will sign high school players either. So the argument that players don’t have to accept a scholarship is disingenuous as shit. There’s no where else to go play after HS to showcase your talent if you don’t want to go to college and it’s strictly due to collusion. It’s always weird how the so called free market folks support that.

And the nfl won’t draft you until 3 years out, is that still correct?

And the nfl won’t draft you until 3 years out, is that still correct?

Right. Still 3 years out before you can be drafted. Same with the CFL and then they can only have a certain number of American players. The XFL played around with possibly offering contracts to high school players and the NFL quickly shut that down too. So the NFL colludes with the NCAA so it's the only place players have to go after HS, the NCAA makes billions and the NFL gets their free minor league system. But hey they don't have to take the scholarship!

For the record, you don't even know what racism is till you've been to Asia. Just about every asian country has national laws limiting the rights of non-ethnic people in their borders, so racism is not only alive and well there, it is state sponsored.

Reactions: EvilWayz
Of course it would (WILL) ruin college athletics. But the fact remains that marketable college athletes are treated differently, contractually, then in just about any other money making enterprise that you can think of.

The model is about as far from capitalist as it gets. Everybody gets the same compensation (scholarship to the school) regardless of whether you're a star quarterback, whose skills would be worth a $50 million contract in a professional market, or a backup for the woman's softball team. Add in the fact that administrators and coaches split up the revenue for themselves, and actually you've got a model pretty comparable to communism.

In the market, any contract is reviewed for basic fairness. Contracts that a party has no choice but to sign are called contracts of adhesion, and they are routinely rescinded by courts.

Non-competes are reviewed in court for overbreadth in all areas, geography, duration, scope of restriction on the type of work, etc... If Fields challenged his scholarship agreement under a non-compete standard, I can promise you it would get blown up in Court.

The NCAA doesn't want to have this argument, because it is a loser. So they are allowing the transfers, and granting more and more of these ridiculous waivers, as kind of a pressure release valve to avoid the whole system blowing up, which it will, inevitably. The skills these kids have are worth too much money, and they're figuring it out.

It has to come to an end. The unfairness is too blatant. And it will suck. But when it blows up, and these kids are grabbing cash just like everyone else, then THAT will be consistent with capitalism.

That's not communism. Theoretical communism states that everyone works to their ability and receives what they need in return, not that they all get the same. Applied communism is a vicious totalitarian system with a small class of elites who reap all the benefits of the system and maintain absolute control over a huge underclass of basically peasants who work until they drop and receive almost none of the benefits.

Hmm. Ok, you are correct, it's applied communism

As someone who has lived there, twice, there are plenty of openly racist people in Ohio.
I lived in Columbus, surprised about how trashy so many of the people were. Maybe it's because the sun is only out about 20 days per year?

Of course it would (WILL) ruin college athletics. But the fact remains that marketable college athletes are treated differently, contractually, then in just about any other money making enterprise that you can think ofThe model is about as far from capitalist as it gets. Everybody gets the same compensation (scholarship to the school) regardless of whether you're a star quarterback, whose skills would be worth a $50 million contract in a professional market, or a backup for the woman's softball team. Add in the fact that administrators and coaches split up the revenue for themselves, and actually you've got a model pretty comparable to communism.

You make some very good points. But I’m not sure there’s any way to fix it. It’s not exactly capitalism or communism. It’s really a unique situation. It’s worked as is for a long time and if we want to keep enjoying college sports, it has to continue to work. Maybe some smart people can get together and find some ways to tweak it, but they better be careful.

I agree with the idea that it’s unfair to athletes in some cases. But what happens if we allow them to profit from their names and likenesses? What happens when Bama has “endorsement contracts” ready to go for blue chippers? What happens when some school like SMU has boosters that decide to use their Dallas oil money and give everybody a million dollar contract to represent their companies? All of which they can write off for advertising or whatever.

I know kids these days are spoiled. Microwave society and all that. They want it and they want it now. But college sports can be a fantastic experience for all the kids on all the teams. And we don’t need to lose sight of the value of an education. Also there is tremendous value in the name recognition and networking that playing sports gives these kids. If it makes you feel better think of it like an apprenticeship program, where everybody is paid the same minimum until they graduate.

Every once and a while a blind squirrel finds a nut

So you can show him some good ole fake love.
Ooh, KraperDick lover coming here for race baiting. Go play in the 305 traffic near the airport. Then again, you're one of those who victimizes those poor victims who make those wrong turns into your neighborhood just trying to get to the airport.
Your posting really late. You must have ended your shift at the Wendy's where you work behind a counter with bullet proof glass.

Reactions: gd15nc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT