ADVERTISEMENT

Who destroyed college football?

TenderAgonizingCaiman-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: bradleygator
It was a good run for college admins and leagues, basically running a professional sport and pocketing all the cash. They could never figure out how to compensate the players (mostly because they wanted to keep all the money) and the result is the current monstrosity.

A battle of the big boosters to get top ranked players which was already going on in reality at many schools. Once the Supreme Court made NIL legal it just made that legal. Making transfering so easy is what is causing some major issues now when it comes to good players. Someone leaving to possibly be able to start is one thing but the portal is crazy now.

The schools aren't about to give the TV money etc. up so it results in a system where rich boosters determine much of your fate and also a system where the top recruits and transfers can get much more than any real NIL value they truly had. I am just glad we aren't a school like ASU and others etc which are real tight on paying much to good players and it results where most good players you develop just move on once they show they are good players.

Rashada screwed up big time. He’s hardly getting any NIL from Ariz St. He should have just swallowed his pride and took the UF NIL package.

I don't know about that, UFs NIL lied to him and wanst even close to what they offered. You don't go into business with someone like that. What sucks is now UF has their shit together with NIL and he'd probably be making more lol he's making decent amount out there, I heard it's over 100k.

It’s pretty ironic that you say that…and then…Rashada…

Not really. He wasn't worth anything compared to what his crooked agent was saying. What do you think ASU gave him? It's low enough where his agent isn't saying apparently. They refused to pay Pearsall and others hardly anything and then got Emory Jones last season on a cheap deal. Guarantee you the final real offer from our boosters (which was way lower than the numbers floated) was well more than ASU is paying him now.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Not really. He wasn't worth anything compared to what his crooked agent was saying. What do you think ASU gave him? It's low enough where his agent isn't saying apparently. They refused to pay Pearsall and others hardly anything and then got Emory Jones last season on a cheap deal. Guarantee you the final real offer from our boosters (which was way lower than the numbers floated) was well more than ASU is paying him now.
Yep bingo. Rashada screwed up and probably should have just swallowed his pride but in the end it is probably better for both parties.

I don't know about that, UFs NIL lied to him and wanst even close to what they offered. You don't go into business with someone like that. What sucks is now UF has their shit together with NIL and he'd probably be making more lol he's making decent amount out there, I heard it's over 100k.

I blame that on that one drunk idiot that is gone now. Rashada never had a valid insane offer like that from the money people no matter what his agent and father claimed and his foolish pride now has him getting way less from a team that loses the good players they develop to the portal.

12 team playoff is way too many. I said that from the beginning and I stand by that today. Unless you have just about all the teams from the Big 10 and SEC you are going to have some massive blowouts.

12 team playoff is way too many. I said that from the beginning and I stand by that today. Unless you have just about all the teams from the Big 10 and SEC you are going to have some massive blowouts.

Yea I think 8 is way better. 6 would be the best imo but now with conferences going the way they are who the hell knows

😱 Seriously?
sadly, yes.

NFL’s not as good of a game…nor is there any passion in it, but at least there is a certain understanding and level playing field the teams are operating under…

College football has lost control of any sense of order, stability, or equity.

Even when programs were cheating in the past, there was a certain level of decorum that teams were forced to follow given the “appearance” of NCAA control that helped to maintain balance.

Now, all of the governors and pretenses of competitive balance have been completely stripped away such that programs and conferences are not even pretending to be competing fairly.

It is complete lawlessness and chaos, and the money grab is so bad that long-established sacred relationships and partnerships are being destroyed and thrown to the wind without even a half second of thought as to the long-term consequences of any action…

All the while, there is not one iota of consideration as to the meaning behind playing for or representing an educational institution by any party in any way in any of this…

It is sad and depressing…and really, not something sadgator takes much pride in anymore…

It also doesn’t help that we suck now…

Doesn't matter what's best for the game or what the fans want. It's all about what will make the most money. Everything is driven by money. Conference realignment, NIL, TV deals, etc. Tradition, history, rivalries , etc. none of that matters anymore. Everything pure about college sports has been blown up. I hate it and am saddened by it, but that's reality.

Doesn't matter what's best for the game or what the fans want. It's all about what will make the most money. Everything is driven by money. Conference realignment, NIL, TV deals, etc. Tradition, history, rivalries , etc. none of that matters anymore. Everything pure about college sports has been blown up. I hate it and am saddened by it, but that's reality.
Yes agree.

So whatever is left of the PAC12 plus the group of 5 teams added will likely get their champion a bid now in the 12 team playoff just like before. The rules say the highest rated 6 conference champs and now there will only be 4 conferences that are a virtual lock leaving 2 more conference champion spots for the PAC12 and group of 5 conferences.

I’d be surprised if the PAC 10 survives as is. They don’t have a tv deal and won’t get one with 4 teams. Not sure grabbing some mountain west schools is going to do the trick either.

As far as the playoff, you basically have to have 12 teams because these conferences are so big, the teams aren’t going to play each other. Winning a regular season title will be meaningless. They’ll have to sort it out in the playoffs.

I’d be surprised if the PAC 10 survives as is. They don’t have a tv deal and won’t get one with 4 teams. Not sure grabbing some mountain west schools is going to do the trick either.

As far as the playoff, you basically have to have 12 teams because these conferences are so big, the teams aren’t going to play each other. Winning a regular season title will be meaningless. They’ll have to sort it out in the playoffs.

2 spots will go to weak conferences leaving 10 spots to which 4 will go to conference champs and then the other 6 spots will be given out based on rankings. This will probably lead to the ACC and Big 12 combined getting 2 of those 6 non conference champ spots due to their schedules. So the SEC and Big 10 with bloodbath schedules most years will get only 3 teams in with an occasional 4th team possible. Think about how hard it is going to be in the SEC to be the #3 team with Texas and Oklahoma added.

2 spots will go to weak conferences leaving 10 spots to which 4 will go to conference champs and then the other 6 spots will be given out based on rankings. This will probably lead to the ACC and Big 12 combined getting 2 of those 6 non conference champ spots due to their schedules. So the SEC and Big 10 with bloodbath schedules most years will get only 3 teams in with an occasional 4th team possible. Think about how hard it is going to be in the SEC to be the #3 team with Texas and Oklahoma added.
If the SEC and Big 10 are smart, they’ll start negotiating their own championship series. Basically and AFC/NFC type set up with a championship game at the end.

They could offer 2 at large bids to the mid-tier leagues (ie everybody else).

Which set up is going to get the better tv deal?

I’d be interested to see the current BCS contract and how long the SEC and Big 10 are locked into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Fever
If the big 10 and SEC are going to turn into what I think they are then just take 4 teams each from those conferences to get you to 8 and then just go get the next 4 best teams from other conferences that are ok with having zero chance to win it all and likely get blown out at some point.

Reactions: Gator Fever
If the big 10 and SEC are going to turn into what I think they are then just take 4 teams each from those conferences to get you to 8 and then just go get the next 4 best teams from other conferences that are ok with having zero chance to win it all and likely get blown out at some point.

They should force 8 spots in some form.

12 teams is too many if the 12 teams are picked NCAA style (every conference has to have an entry, the small schools need an entry, etc) rather than being the 12 best actual teams. Since the first 4 teams get a bye, the biggest discrepancy is #5 vs #12. If it's a legitimate #12, that could be a game worth watching.

12 teams is too many if the 12 teams are picked NCAA style (every conference has to have an entry, the small schools need an entry, etc) rather than being the 12 best actual teams. Since the first 4 teams get a bye, the biggest discrepancy is #5 vs #12. If it's a legitimate #12, that could be a game worth watching.
100% agree but we now that won’t happen!!

100% agree but we know that won’t happen!!
Yeah, we know it. Stupid NCAA. :mad:

But heck, since the NCAA is determined to have undeserving teams get there, maybe it's better to be 12 than 8. Then the bums can get the boot and we can have a real 8 team playoff, whereas if it were an 8 team playoff from the start then only 6 or so teams would be deserving and we would still have a first round separating the wheat from the chaff at the 8 team level and we would then only have a real 4 team playoff.

Using that logic, maybe we could get away with a 10 team playoff, and the first round would be the bottom 4 teams as a play-in round, like basketball has now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT