ADVERTISEMENT

What gives Kirk Herbstreit the right to castigate Feleipe Franks on College GameDay

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I read this & some similar articles on various websites.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...florida-qb-feleipe-franks-on-college-gameday/

I suddenly asked myself, what did he do in college and/or the pros that allows him to make such remarks ?

How good was Kirk Herbstreet at tOSU? Was he even drafted by the NFL ?

Kirk only started one year, as a senior. He was not drafted by the NFL; he did not sign a free agent contract. He did not sign with MLB. He wasn't good enough !

1992 his Senior year, his 1 year as a starter - priceless !

att.........comp..........yards..........TDs............Int

Sr year - Four freaking TDs and 6 INTs;
Career - 5 TDs and 11 INTs !!!

This is the idiot people are listening to on Game Day !

If you can't do it; teach it !

I can't believe he wasn't an NFL 1st round pick !

Go Kirk ! Share your expertise with us, please !

Here are his glorious stats for his entire four year college career !
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kirk-herbstreit-1.html

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...florida-qb-feleipe-franks-on-college-gameday/

I suddenly asked myself, what did he do in college and/or the pros that allows him to make such remarks ?

Kirk only started one year, as a senior. He was not drafted by the NFL; he did not sign a free agent contract. He did not sign with MLB. He wasn't good enough !

So you're not saying he's wrong you're just saying you don't like him?

Herbstreit is correct. However, cfb performances are fluid.. Teams can change, players can change, and situationally week to week, every game is a reset of sorts (especially early on). sadgator wouldn’t write off Franks just yet...let’s see what happens the farther we get away from the toxicity of the Miami match-up before we come to absolute conclusions on Frank’s development and growth...

1. If you can't do, teach.
2. If you can't teach, administer.
3. If you can't even administer, then comment / report on those other 3 things.
(the media-moron mantra) :cool:

Herbie has a right to his opinions, just like the Mc-El'roy does, just like recruiting dweebs do.
Rival trolls will use this crap when slinging it, but nobody (that's not brain-dead) really gives them credit for their authenticity or their 'accuracy in reporting.' Fake News abounds in both politics and sports. ;)

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
I do think Franks needs to handle himself better on the field. However looking back he didn’t have a bad game against Miami considering it was the first game of the year against a good defense.

His QB rating was a respectable 151

VZDawg,

I'm saying that Herbstreit wasn't a good enough player for me to respect his opinions - huge difference.

Like SadGator & others, I don't believe that 1 game is indicative of what a player will achieve in his entire season.

Reactions: VZDawg
I keep hearing how Herbstreet was "ripping" on Franks but I've watched his comments a couple of times and don't see it. The guy is paid to give his opinion, his opinion is that Franks needs to act with more maturity - many UF fans actually agree with that sentiment.

His comments only come across as negative because he's discribing his reaction to Franks. That's not negative per se. And I don't think he was nasty about it either.

Reactions: GatorNation79
I didn't like:
Kyle Morris
Doug Johnson
Rex Grossman
sCam Newton
Or any of McLame's poor joke xfer-in QB's.

And I'll admit that Franks hasn't impressed me much since his Army AA Bowl game.
Doesn't mean that he-they can't play football at some level, it just means that I didn't like them,,, and I still don't. --- And my opinions won't change a thing for any of them. :rolleyes:

PS
Miami's defense didn't make great plays on the 4 turn-overs, those were unforced errors that I'm laying at Franks feet. .. Muffed hand-off - poor/early pitch - and 2 poorly thrown ./ poor decision Int's. His hen yard rooster strutting and shoulder rolling is just selfish and annoying to me. Others might see it different, each to his own opinions.. :cool:

Reactions: rdavis55
The guy (Herbstreit) is paid to give his opinion, his opinion is that Franks needs to act with more maturity - many UF fans actually agree with that sentiment.

GBO,

See your point & must agree about maturity issue. But Herbstreit not enough of a player for me to respect his opinion on much of anything.

Per Bob Redman -
https://247sports.com/college/flori...-UF-ahead-of-UT-Martin-135123048/#135123048_1

"...A lot has been made about quarterback Feleipe Franks and his sideline antics (lack of maturity - act like you've been there before) during the game and even kicking the football into the stands directly after the game.

I have made it known that the only thing that I thought was out of line was directing his attention to himself at the television camera and not his teammates. All of that other stuff, I could care less.

I also think he could whip it out and urinate on the sideline and Gator fans really wouldn’t care if he had an All-American type night on the field."

Unfortunately, the All-American type night on the field was MIA.

Franks laid his two interceptions off on others causing Redman to add "...That leads me to my last issue. Take ownership of things, even if they’re someone else’s fault. You are supposed to be the leader of the team and leaders don’t do that."

Those national commentators watch a ton of football. Way more than most fans, including probably everybody on this board. All of us have our biases and most on this board are highly sensitive of others criticizing our Gators. It's OK for us to do it, just not others. I like Herbstreit, don't always agree with the things he says, but to me he's very knowledgeable, not nearly as biased as most other national guys and comes across as informed and sincere. At least to me.

If you want to know how much herbstreit knows about college football, go back to 2006 when a substantially-less-puffy herbstreit spent a month bitching about how Michigan and OSU should play a rematch for a de facto national title game, because they were “the best two teams.”

Combined score of 100–35 later...

VZDawg,

I'm saying that Herbstreit wasn't a good enough player for me to respect his opinions - huge difference.

Like SadGator & others, I don't believe that 1 game is indicative of what a player will achieve in his entire season.
Do you think Dan Mullen was a good enough player to respect his opinions?

Reactions: ih8f$u
Those national commentators watch a ton of football. Way more than most fans, including probably everybody on this board.

ocalaman,

I could watch soccer or lacrosse 24/7 forever & would still be un-knowledgeable because I didn't play the game.

Herbstreit played, but looking at his stats (5 TDs, 11 INTs), he was not a passing QB. Handing the ball off was about all he did.

If you want to know how much herbstreit knows about college football, go back to 2006 when a substantially-less-puffy herbstreit spent a month bitching about how Michigan and OSU should play a rematch for a de facto national title game, because they were “the best two teams.”

Combined score of 100–35 later...

Bradley,

2 thumbs up !

I was looking for a good place to drop this little nugget, and here seems as good as any.

Demorats of America,,, in today's world....

If you cheat getting into college, you can go to jail. o_O

If you cheat getting into America, you can go to college at taxpayers expense.... :cool:

Do you think Dan Mullen was a good enough player to respect his opinions?

Taylor,

Talk is cheap & that is all Herbstreit & all the other commentators have to offer.

Mullen puts his "opinions" on the line every game he coaches. His job is NOT based on opinions; it is based on real world results !

Close doesn't count; Mullen must win games - not just talk about it - or he is fired.

Do you see the difference ?

Saban and many others hardly played big time college football

Little relation between that and football savvy

Herbie is ok, he would be better if he commented less. He sees to feel the need to constantly talk and hedge which makes him weaker

But overall he is ok

ocalaman,

I could watch soccer or lacrosse 24/7 forever & would still be un-knowledgeable because I didn't play the game.

Herbstreit played, but looking at his stats (5 TDs, 11 INTs), he was not a passing QB. Handing the ball off was about all he did.

Bradley,

2 thumbs up !
You don't have to play football to know a lot about football. And just because somebody played football at the college level and was only an average player doesn't disqualify that person from having a lot of knowledge and valid opinions about the game. You don't have to have the physical abilities to do something and then exceed at it in order to be an expert, except in some very specialized areas. That concept applies to stuff like brain surgery or astrophysics, but not a game - any game. I'm 67 and have watched literally thousands of hours of football. I don't deceive myself into thinking I'm qualified to coach the game, but I certainly have enough knowledge to express legitimate opinion about player performance and to analyze a game or a team with some degree of accuracy. Will I be wrong sometimes? Of course - just like any other person giving an opinion about anything. I'm entitled to my opinion just like you or anyone else. But I do think Herbstreit or any of those guys who are around the game 24/7, watch tons of film and are able to interact with players an coaches like they do are in a better position to offer more accurate assessments than people like you or I. Doesn't negate what we think, but I do think it gives their positions more credibility.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Jeff:

A lot of guys were not GREAT players in college or the pros but are very good analysts in many sports. They have played the game and know what it takes. They do not necessarily have the skills to execute though.

Jay Bilas was not a great BB player but excellent analyst, imo. I think the same of Herbstreit. I did not think his critique of Franks was too over the top. His focus on maturity lacking from our QB was spot on for a veteran.

BTW, notwithstanding my position that Herbstreit is a swollen twit, if he was criticizing Franks' sideline preening and mean mugging, then I agree with him. In fact, it's concerning to me that Franks seems to think so highly of himself, because he has a LOT to work on. Basically, it looks to me like Franks hits the plays that Mullen serves him up on a platter, both running and throwing, but looks lost where he has to go beyond the first read.

He was on the sideline jawing to the camera like he was Cam Newton or something.

He’s a hack and a hypocrite like most media members and fans. A lot of QB’s have acted the exact same as Franks on the field but because those players were liked their actions are described as intensity and fire. From Tebow to Manziel to Mayfield to Cam. If you tell me they’re allowed to act that way because they were good well you don’t really have an issue with Franks’ antics otherwise you wouldn’t care how well he was playing or not. Your issue is with him.

Tim Tebow has talked shit to rival fans (see LSU in 07’) ran up and down the sideline like a character (see 08’ against FSU with turf in his face mean mugging FSU fans), has gator chomped in a defenders face (08’ against OU), has head butted defenders during games (too many games to count) and everybody loved it. Franks poses for the camera after a TD and he’s immature and incapable of leading a team and his actions weren’t even half as bad as Tebow’s were and haven’t been. The only difference is people like Tebow and they don’t like Franks.

Oh and Brandon Spikes kicked a damn ball into the stands DURING a game and drew a 15 yarder as a result. And again everybody loved it. I guess that wasn’t selfish though. Franks kicks a ball into the UF section celebrating after a win and gets crucified. Hypocritical nonsense.

Oh and Brandon Spikes kicked a damn ball into the stands DURING a game and drew a 15 yarder as a result. And again everybody loved it. I guess that wasn’t selfish though. Franks kicks a ball into the UF section celebrating after a win and gets crucified. Hypocritical nonsense.
Andre Caldwell threw a ball into the stands at the Swamp in 06 after scoring a TD against FSU.

Saban and many others hardly played big time college football

Little relation between that and football savvy

Herbie is ok, he would be better if he commented less. He sees to feel the need to constantly talk and hedge which makes him weaker

But overall he is ok

Agreed - also, guys like Saban or other coaches - they REALLY have to know football. Commentators' biggest value is communicating - not football per se.

From Tebow to Manziel to Mayfield to Cam. If you tell me they’re allowed to act that way because they were good well you don’t really have an issue with Franks’ antics otherwise you wouldn’t care how well he was playing or not. Your issue is with him.

Disagree a little bit here. My issue with Franks acting like he's Cam Newton is that he is nowhere near Cam Newton. And I don't have a problem with Franks. I've said on here that he could be in the conversation for a first round pick by the end of this year, because of his physical talent and Mullen's history with qbs. But that is going to require him to understand how much he has to learn. And he looked to me like a guy who thinks he's a lot better than he is.

GBO,

See your point & must agree about maturity issue. But Herbstreit not enough of a player for me to respect his opinion on much of anything.

Per Bob Redman -
https://247sports.com/college/flori...-UF-ahead-of-UT-Martin-135123048/#135123048_1

"...A lot has been made about quarterback Feleipe Franks and his sideline antics (lack of maturity - act like you've been there before) during the game and even kicking the football into the stands directly after the game.

I have made it known that the only thing that I thought was out of line was directing his attention to himself at the television camera and not his teammates. All of that other stuff, I could care less.

I also think he could whip it out and urinate on the sideline and Gator fans really wouldn’t care if he had an All-American type night on the field."

Franks laid his two interceptions off on others causing Redman to add "...That leads me to my last issue. Take ownership of things, even if they’re someone else’s fault. You are supposed to be the leader of the team and leaders don’t do that."

I do not agree with the theory that you have to have been a great player to judge other players. Or even having to have been a player at all.

I read a book, I can tell if it's a good book, even though I have never written a book.

Reactions: ocalaman
I do not agree with the theory that you have to have been a great player to judge other players. Or even having to have been a player at all.

I read a book, I can tell if it's a good book, even though I have never written a book.

Lizard Grad,

As always free advice is worth what you pay for it !

Your opinion of the book is synchronized to your world view; you evaluate the book based on internal metrics (it's a Playboy and you like the pictures; who cares about the articles !) and in this case you are giving away your opinion.

If this is how you evaluate players, then your opinion, which could be based on how well their uniform fits, their haircut, or anything else, is equally valid here as well.

If you are on a college recruiting staff or a pro teams' draft analysis committee, you will probably need external experience, physical skill, and a much broader base of experience since you are now selling your opinion.

And, if your opinion is contrary to the player's real world accomplishments, you will be fired !

GBO,

Per Bob Redman -

Why did you quote Bob Redman? Was he a great college football player? If not, why would you respect his opinion?

He’s a hack and a hypocrite like most media members and fans. A lot of QB’s have acted the exact same as Franks on the field but because those players were liked their actions are described as intensity and fire. From Tebow to Manziel to Mayfield to Cam. If you tell me they’re allowed to act that way because they were good well you don’t really have an issue with Franks’ antics otherwise you wouldn’t care how well he was playing or not. Your issue is with him.

Tim Tebow has talked shit to rival fans (see LSU in 07’) ran up and down the sideline like a character (see 08’ against FSU with turf in his face mean mugging FSU fans), has gator chomped in a defenders face (08’ against OU), has head butted defenders during games (too many games to count) and everybody loved it. Franks poses for the camera after a TD and he’s immature and incapable of leading a team and his actions weren’t even half as bad as Tebow’s were and haven’t been. The only difference is people like Tebow and they don’t like Franks.
I get your point but I would say all those you mentioned were criticized for their antics.

Disagree a little bit here. My issue with Franks acting like he's Cam Newton is that he is nowhere near Cam Newton. And I don't have a problem with Franks. I've said on here that he could be in the conversation for a first round pick by the end of this year, because of his physical talent and Mullen's history with qbs. But that is going to require him to understand how much he has to learn. And he looked to me like a guy who thinks he's a lot better than he is.

So basically if he played better you wouldn’t care. Right? If that’s the case the antics aren’t the problem. Either they’re ok or they aren’t. Many QB’s including the ‘humble’ Tebow have been far worse on the field and didn’t get the same level of criticism.

Maybe not you but a lot of the Franks criticism from UF fans are people who just want a different QB. And a good bit of the outside noise is just hypocritical. I mean Greg McElroy had the nerve to talk about Franks being immature and was caught shooting birds during games lol. Franks doesn’t come off likeable so he’s an easy target for criticism.

I've been critical of Franks because I just don't think he's an SEC-caliber QB. Keep hoping he'll get better, but haven't seen much evidence. I do trust Mullen and staff in deciding he's the best we've got right now.

The only thing Franks can do to combat this is to work hard and prove him wrong.

Reactions: sadgator
Oh and Brandon Spikes kicked a damn ball into the stands DURING a game and drew a 15 yarder as a result. And again everybody loved it.
That was a great moment...and I agree with the rest too. People have to chill on Franks...it was one game and we'll see what kind of player he's going to be this year over the next 3-4 games.

This isn't a Mr. Popularity contest. I watched the film of the Miami game and we certainly left points to be had out there on the field. EX. If Franks completed pulling the ball from Perine its aTD and we are up 14-3. But he made some questionable decisions in the game also. That all has to do with his play. He is an emotional player and his actions or reactions on the field motivates him. He could care less whether I like it, you like it. or Kirk likes it.When those antics cost us points or penalty yardage then its a problem.

Franks tried to give the game away but hopefully he can go back to last year's play in these big games and at least not turn the ball over at bad times and complete the easy stuff.

This isn't a Mr. Popularity contest. I watched the film of the Miami game and we certainly left points to be had out there on the field. EX. If Franks completed pulling the ball from Perine its aTD and we are up 14-3. But he made some questionable decisions in the game also. That all has to do with his play. He is an emotional player and his actions or reactions on the field motivates him. He could care less whether I like it, you like it. or Kirk likes it.When those antics cost us points or penalty yardage then its a problem.
Agree. Not sure why so many fans are overly sensitive about criticism Franks gets. He brings it on himself with his play and his antics. I doubt he seriously cares whether he gets criticized or not.

Taylor,

Talk is cheap & that is all Herbstreit & all the other commentators have to offer.

Mullen puts his "opinions" on the line every game he coaches. His job is NOT based on opinions; it is based on real world results !

Close doesn't count; Mullen must win games - not just talk about it - or he is fired.

Do you see the difference ?

I understand the difference, but the more info im gathering its becoming more clear that you just dont like Herbstreit. Which is fine because I dont care for him either, but just say that. There are plenty of other commentators that said the same thing as Herbstreit, that have had much better college careers, but you havent said a word about them that i have seen.

Agree. Not sure why so many fans are overly sensitive about criticism Franks gets. He brings it on himself with his play and his antics. I doubt he seriously cares whether he gets criticized or not.

Because the criticism isn’t constructive and has gone over the top already. For example Franks gets called immature for sushing his own fans but what’s more immature a 19 year old telling fans booing him in his own stadium to be quiet or a bunch of grown ass people booing said 19 year old on his home field? Without the boos the sushing never happens.

And then stuff like people going at the dudes mom online after a game we won. UF fans just straight up suck. And it would be one thing if the criticism was at least informed but 90% of the time it isn’t. I mean you still got people blaming him for the Perine fumble when it was an RPO and Perine basically pulled the ball from him and the damn coach even said that. Same with Davis’ fumble which was a pitch right on his numbers he dropped. Franks gets blamed anyway. It’s mostly just ignorant bitching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT