ADVERTISEMENT

What gives Kirk Herbstreit the right to castigate Feleipe Franks on College GameDay

I mean I do personally think it's a bit ridiculous that the guy can be wildly inconsistent and make bad mistakes, pouts about people being mad at his play, but then freaks out and puts on a show whenever he does something good.

His emotional range and attitude are just as eye-roll worthy and head-scratching as his actual on field play is.

Right or wrong, and maybe it's because of what we saw early in his career, maybe it's because of a decade and miserable QB play, but I even find it hard to like him.

I DO think a decade of frustration has a lot to do with it, especially when this punk should have been warming the bench for Will Grier.

Reactions: fsu939913
Definitely think that’s a huge part of it. It’s hard for people to even acknowledge he’s a decent QB now because that shitty 2017 season is still stuck in their memory. First impression is usually the lasting one and the first impression of Franks was a bad QB who pouted after getting benched.

I mean I do personally think it's a bit ridiculous that the guy can be wildly inconsistent and make bad mistakes, pouts about people being mad at his play, but then freaks out and puts on a show whenever he does something good.

His emotional range and attitude are just as eye-roll worthy and head-scratching as his actual on field play is.

Right or wrong, and maybe it's because of what we saw early in his career, maybe it's because of a decade and miserable QB play, but I even find it hard to like him.

I DO think a decade of frustration has a lot to do with it, especially when this punk should have been warming the bench for Will Grier.
Kinda agree, but he’s better than we all think. sadgator still believes that he can become a great one...and that Dan can bring out his best...we’ll see soon...

Because the criticism isn’t constructive and has gone over the top already. For example Franks gets called immature for sushing his own fans but what’s more immature a 19 year old telling fans booing him in his own stadium to be quiet or a bunch of grown ass people booing said 19 year old on his home field? Without the boos the sushing never happens.

And then stuff like people going at the dudes mom online after a game we won. UF fans just straight up suck. And it would be one thing if the criticism was at least informed but 90% of the time it isn’t. I mean you still got people blaming him for the Perine fumble when it was an RPO and Perine basically pulled the ball from him and the damn coach even said that. Same with Davis’ fumble which was a pitch right on his numbers he dropped. Franks gets blamed anyway. It’s mostly just ignorant bitching.
You may be right. I guess I just don't hear most of it unless it is a national guy talking about it. I find his antics very childish but don't really care either way. There is enough about his game to criticize but in my opinion he brings it on himself. Every fanbase criticizes their QB though.

Franks tried to give the game away but hopefully he can go back to last year's play in these big games and at least not turn the ball over at bad times and complete the easy stuff.
Like Mullen said " We thought we had something there and Diaz defendeded it well. Hard to tell a QB to take a sack."
Really was trying to hit them big with something they thought they saw and it was well defended. Should of been running the ball and using clock

Agree. Not sure why so many fans are overly sensitive about criticism Franks gets. He brings it on himself with his play and his antics. I doubt he seriously cares whether he gets criticized or not.
Besides the one time he shushed his own fanbase for booing him during the SCar game...and getting emotional in a rivalry game against one of the most historical shit talking programs in college football. What antics had he really shown?

Besides the one time he shushed his own fanbase for booing him during the SCar game...and getting emotional in a rivalry game against one of the most historical shit talking programs in college football. What antics had he really shown?
Isn't that already way more than most QBs...especially QBs that haven't really done anything special.

I'm not hating on the kid...I think he is following the lead of his head coach...talking trash and not backing it up. As long as they are on the same page I doubt they care about my thoughts. Ha ha. However, he must have really cared about Gator fans booing him to react like that.

Reactions: nail1988
Isn't that already way more than most QBs...especially QBs that haven't really done anything special.

I'm not hating on the kid...I think he is following the lead of his head coach...talking trash and not backing it up. As long as they are on the same page I doubt they care about my thoughts. Ha ha. However, he must have really cared about Gator fans booing him to react like that.
Following the lead of his head coach? Please elaborate..

Kinda agree, but he’s better than we all think. sadgator still believes that he can become a great one...and that Dan can bring out his best...we’ll see soon...

What sticks out to me is when I watch other QBs they literally sometimes hit passes at intermediate range where the WR isn't mostly wide open more times in one game than Franks did in all of 2018. I know Mullen's system isn't conducive to a ton of that type of passing but Prescott in 2014 and 2015 was routinely hitting those types of passes. I know you cant expect Franks to be Prescott but the ability to hit an intermediate pass occasionally where the WR isn't wide open would be nice.

Like Mullen said " We thought we had something there and Diaz defendeded it well. Hard to tell a QB to take a sack."
Really was trying to hit them big with something they thought they saw and it was well defended. Should of been running the ball and using clock

No excuse for what happened there especially with how the defense was playing.

I don't think to much of it...every player has their stuff. Just go and p
Definitely think that’s a huge part of it. It’s hard for people to even acknowledge he’s a decent QB now because that shitty 2017 season is still stuck in their memory. First impression is usually the lasting one and the first impression of Franks was a bad QB who pouted after getting benched.
Agreed...he made a bad throw and that fumble with him and Perine was a mistake...outside of that I think he played well. Franks isn't as bad as some make him out to be...I'll make my judgement after seeing a few more games. No matter what people say...Franks is a player and hears the noise...I would have a chip on my shoulder but he seems to be a lot more mature than last season. I think let's see how it plays out and let's not forgot how ridiculous our fan base can be...if we don't win by 30 points every game the sky is falling.

I understand the difference, but the more info im gathering its becoming more clear that you just dont like Herbstreit. Which is fine because I dont care for him either, but just say that. There are plenty of other commentators that said the same thing as Herbstreit, that have had much better college careers, but you havent said a word about them that i have seen.

For me, Herbstreit's venue on sports center, associated with the games themselves, is more noticeable and thus more irritating.

There is also some truth to your statement. Probably based on Bradley's comment -

If you want to know how much herbstreit knows about college football, go back to 2006 when a substantially-less-puffy herbstreit spent a month bitching about how Michigan and OSU should play a rematch for a de facto national title game, because they were “the best two teams.”

Combined score of 100–35 later...

As I recall, Herbstreit was also on the broadcast of the UF - tOSU title game.

After tOSU ran the opening kick back for a touchdown, Herbstreit lost all objectivity; he literally could not contain himself !

After UF came back to take the lead, & eventually win the game he was totally silent !

Other posters may remember it differently; if so, I'm sure they will pin their thoughts here. shortly.

Reactions: TAYLOR1027
For me, Herbstreit's venue on sports center, associated with the games themselves, is more noticeable and thus more irritating.

There is also some truth to your statement. Probably based on Bradley's comment -

After tOSU ran the opening kick back for a touchdown, Herbstreit lost all objectivity; he literally could not contain himself !

After UF came back to take the lead, & eventually win the game he was totally silent !

Other posters may remember it differently; if so, I'm sure they will pin their thoughts here. shortly.

There’s a photo, maybe a video, of him jumping up and down on the sideline during the kick return, I believe. Maybe he was just doing the pre and post game?

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
I think Franks can be a good SEC quarterback with Mullen drawing up the plays. Actually, he was a good SEC qb last year. His stats were real good. Like 30 TDs and 10 TOs or something like that.

I could really care less how he behaves on the sideline, but the mean mugging on the camera caught my attention because it just struck me as the actions of someone who thinks they are already very very good, and he is not there yet.

I just hope he stays focused and humble enough to continue to listen carefully to Mullen, because that is his (and our) best chance for success.

ESPN overall has went from downing the SEC when they didn't have the SEC contract to now probably over hyping the SEC even though it is definitely the conference with the most talent.

As far as Franks I haven't really listened to a lot of Herbstreit stuff regarding him but fans of opposing teams that aren't even rival teams to UF did have a really big laugh about those Franks Heisman comments and I think looking at it objectively if he was on another team and we heard that stuff the feeling might be the same.

You may be right. I guess I just don't hear most of it unless it is a national guy talking about it. I find his antics very childish but don't really care either way. There is enough about his game to criticize but in my opinion he brings it on himself. Every fanbase criticizes their QB though.
I do have a serious question... what QB do you remember your fan base criticizing the most? Granted I don’t follow you guys that closely, but I do recall thinking that I couldn’t believe mike bobo got a D1 scholarship. And I know he played for bama, but I can’t remember Brody Croyle ever completing a pass, and he played in the nfl. Granted, he’s considered the worst starting QB in the history of the league, but still.

I do have a serious question... what QB do you remember your fan base criticizing the most? Granted I don’t follow you guys that closely, but I do recall thinking that I couldn’t believe mike bobo got a D1 scholarship. And I know he played for bama, but I can’t remember Brody Croyle ever completing a pass, and he played in the nfl. Granted, he’s considered the worst starting QB in the history of the league, but still.
Read our message boards....David Greene, Matt Stafford, Jake Fromm, Aaron Murray, etc. They all get criticized. They're QBs for a Top 10 team. That's what fans do.

Read our message boards....David Greene, Matt Stafford, Jake Fromm, Aaron Murray, etc. They all get criticized. They're QBs for a Top 10 team. That's what fans do.
I’m not curious enough to go to a rival’s board lol. I know they all get criticism. We’re not the only team with armchair QBs. I am curious to know what other teams QBs get hit with and can’t shake. I remember watching Stafford and thinking the kid had a great arm, but even his pre game highlights would be him overthrowing receivers by 10 yards. I can’t remember anything specifically that any of the rest that you mentioned might have consistently had to deal with. I can maybe imagine Quincy carter and zeier getting dinged for INTs, and I know I have to be remembering bobo worse than he was, bc I can’t remember him ever doing anything but making terrible throws and getting sacked, and if they gave scholarships for that I could have played in the SEC, and I didn’t even play football in HS. I’m just curious to hear what other fan bases might have to say about their guys (although, as I mentioned, not curious enough to wander over there)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT