ADVERTISEMENT

Went to see Raines v Trinity Christian spring game

Mark Wheeler

Inside the Gators Publisher
May 2, 2004
First of all, I didn't realize it was being played tonight until roughly 30 minutes prior to kickoff, I had to leave ASAP to get there so I couldn't charge my phone, which is why I didn't do live updates.

Honestly, there wasn't a ton to update regardless.

Some impressions:

* Rick Wells made his name over the pre-spring 7-on-7 circuit. Good thing, because he didn't get many chances tonight. Raines offense looked a mess. Coach Deran Wiley told me they had a center out, which may be the reason their spread offense just couldn't get going. Trinity Christian pretty much applied pressure every play and the Vikings were down 14-7 to the Commanders at the half, with Raines only points coming on a 65-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Wells biggest moment came when he was hammered by TC corner Shaun Wade out in the left flat early in the game. He sat out the second half as Raines played their younger guys.

Though he wasn't able to showcase his skills much by actually catching the ball, you can see why he is so highly regarded (wouldn't be surprised if he is rated four-stars soon). He has a solid build for a wide out, and though he doesn't look like he has blazing speed, he was able to get separation against a pretty good TC secondary and get open, especially over the middle, the quarterback just couldn't get his receivers the ball for the most part.

He said he is a truthful person, and is solid in his commitment to Florida, but he will take some visits this summer both to camp with other schools and to take unofficial visits. He specifically mentioned how hard SOS Jr. is recruiting him for South Carolina.

* Jaquan Bailey isn't quite as big as you hope a defensive end would be, but he is explosive. I thought it was strange that despite his size, they were lining him up down after down with his hand in the dirt. I would have expected him to stand up some and come off the edge. At his size, going up against tackles and guards, he was still able to play the run as well as rush the passer. He overran a couple of plays, but he was incredibly active. I was impressed with him. He consistently pressured the quarterback, and made a couple of stops in the backfield on running plays.

He also sat out the second half.

When I spoke to him, he raved about new defensive line coach Chris Rumph, talking about how much he loved his straight forward style.

Bailey said he is firm to Florida, but is still fielding recruiting pitches from schools, with Virginia Tech being the school after him the hardest.

More on both later on the front page.

Reactions: davy.gator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News