ADVERTISEMENT

Well now, we just might be able to....

In a very Un-Michi like manner I will say Mac did some very nice things today. And while year three could have some bumps because of lack of experience, not talent, I think sans QB, we have repaired the roster. Harbaugh is going to see the year 3 bumps as well. Natural for the transition from the previous coaches studs to your own.

Caveat, no love from Michi for Nuss or LDR

Last edited:
IMO the program is progressing and not regressing. It just isn't happening as fast as some want. I believe Mac is doing some very positive things for the program that aren't necessarily seen (facilities, admin, infrastructure, etc.) I think he's trying to build something that is sustainable for the long haul. Last year he went out and improved the coaching staff and I anticipate with the new hires the staff will improve some more.

Even if he doesn't work out I believe things will be better off in the program. As opposed to Muschamp who didn't improve a thing at UF IMO.

IMO the program is progressing and not regressing. It just isn't happening as fast as some want. I believe Mac is doing some very positive things for the program that aren't necessarily seen (facilities, admin, infrastructure, etc.) I think he's trying to build something that is sustainable for the long haul. Last year he went out and improved the coaching staff and I anticipate with the new hires the staff will improve some more.

Not saying you are wrong. And in my personal opinion promoting Randy just helped him a ton. That said, deep down, orange and blue glasses off, do you believe we can take the next step on the field with Nuss as OC?

Also, who do you think starts at QB next year? And if different the year after? (I know you and I are about as far apart on Allen as possible)

You haven't posted in a while, just looking for your opinions here

In a very Un-Michi like manner I will say Mac did some very nice things today. And while year three could have some bumps because of lack of experience, not talent, I think sans QB, we have repaired the roster. Harbaugh is going to see the year 3 bumps as well. Natural for the transition from the previous coaches studs to your own.

Caveat, no love from Michi for Nuss or LDR

I think 99.99% of us agree about Nuss and LDR...though good QB play will hide some Nuss issues.

Also, love that Mac fought for Robinson and Lemmons.

The Admin did NOT want those two signing today.

Without that this class looks a lot different today.

I think 99.99% of us agree about Nuss and LDR...though good QB play will hide some Nuss issues.

Also, love that Mac fought for Robinson and Lemmons.

The Admin did NOT want those two signing today.

Without that this class looks a lot different today.

Agree, to me Robinson completely solidified me seeing this as a VERY good class. He and Conliffe are my two favorite gets.

I am glad the admin gave Mac a shot with Robinson, like him or hate him, Mac has done the 'right' thing on all occasions and certainly deserves a chance to handle this well.

If nothing else, what happened today is it either put Mac on the path to be successful or if he can't fix on field performance over the next two seasons he has established a talented and balanced roster so the next coach wouldn't need to fix it.

Not saying you are wrong. And in my personal opinion promoting Randy just helped him a ton. That said, deep down, orange and blue glasses off, do you believe we can take the next step on the field with Nuss as OC?

Also, who do you think starts at QB next year? And if different the year after? (I know you and I are about as far apart on Allen as possible)

You haven't posted in a while, just looking for your opinions here
I certainly have lots of questions about Nuss but even as poor or as average he may be I still think we can take the next step on the field.

I like Franks potential because he is athletic and can move around a bit. I'm curious to see how the spring goes. I don't think Allen is a star but I don't think he stinks either. So I'm somewhat in the middle on him. People don't know that Allen struggled with injuries just about his entire senior year and was playing hurt.

Need to take the next step with facilities. Still not a able to compete for a national title, but moving forward

giphy.gif

I said this when we were ranked #31 and I still say it today. I LOVE the University of Florida and want McElwain to succeed. But it all comes down to the players he brings in and what he's able to do with them. What he did with this recruiting class, IMO, is to bring in players who should be able to help keep our defense at a championship level. And he brought in some players to add quality and depth to our offense. I'm not sold on our OC and it will all come down to W's & L's over the next couple of years. But I am pleased with this year's class. Hopefully he can build on that and get some 5 stars in next year and get us back in the Top 5 where we belong.

Reactions: sadgator
I certainly have lots of questions about Nuss but even as poor or as average he may be I still think we can take the next step on the field.

I like Franks potential because he is athletic and can move around a bit. I'm curious to see how the spring goes. I don't think Allen is a star but I don't think he stinks either. So I'm somewhat in the middle on him. People don't know that Allen struggled with injuries just about his entire senior year and was playing hurt.

Allen might be alright with a few years learning and developing first.

As far as this upcoming season I hope Franks is coming along but the more you hear he may have a little Driskel in him and Trask may actually end up starting most of the season. I just hope Mac doesn't actually try to go with LDR against Michigan.

Most commentators and so called "experts" that I've listened to, have almost to a man said Trask is the starter next year. I have not heard one person say Franks will start, and several say LDR will never see the field again at UF without an injury situation.

The fact that LDR never sniffed the field against FSU, Alabama and Iowa tells you what you need to know about how the coaching staff feels about him.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Most commentators and so called "experts" that I've listened to, have almost to a man said Trask is the starter next year. I have not heard one person say Franks will start, and several say LDR will never see the field again at UF without an injury situation.

For the amount of positives yesterday brought for Mac and the outlook of the future I truly believe he could reverse almost all of it immediately if he trots LDR out to start v Michigan next year. No more band-aids, he needs to prove we are moving to the future.

And to the contrary, since the initial raving after the spring game, Trask has kind of disappeared. In fact, I believe at one point in the season one of the coaches all but said Franks was moving ahead. I do not believe either is the ling term solution here. I would not at all be surprised if Toney ends up our QB sooner rather than later. I also read that Mac has significant interest in trying to flip DT-QB Emory Jones (class of '18) away from OSU.

"And to the contrary, since the initial raving after the spring game, Trask has kind of disappeared. In fact, I believe at one point in the season one of the coaches all but said Franks was moving ahead."

I completely agree...I was simply stating what I've heard from numerous analysts since the end of the season. I have no clue why they feel that way, because like you I thought the coaches were leaning heavily towards Franks.

The fact that LDR never sniffed the field against FSU, Alabama and Iowa tells you what you need to know about how the coaching staff feels about him.

Which is good news, but also makes you ask WTF they were looking at to name him starter to begin with. Especially with the reports that one of the reasons they fought so hard to make him eligible in 2015 is because they wanted to start him over Grier...that's just a WTF decision because LDR isn't on the same planet talent wise. I wonder how much of the QB choice gets determined by Nuss? If he's responsible, then it suddenly makes sense.

He might be one of those players that looks better in practice than in games

I thunk more likely Mac is learning. I think he now realizes this is not Saban's Bama and our QBs need a little more than playbook knowledge. I do see a lot of signs that Mac is figuring this out and that maybe he needs to change a little, which is a very good thing

Reactions: TennesseeGator
For myself this is the most highly anticipated Spring practice/game I've wanted to see since Wuerfferl graduated. QB position wise anyway.

In the past we pretty much knew Leak would eventually beat out Ingle Martin. We knew Tebow would be a stud. Brantley pretty much had the position sewed up especially after Cam left. We knew Palmer would pretty much start the season but Rex or Brock could unseat him as the season progresses with the way Spur pulled the hook on underachieving QB's.

I hope both Trask and Franks get equal time with the first team. Heck I hope Toney gets more time in the spring over LDR. We've seen what LDR is in all situations. We need to see the other guys.

He might be one of those players that looks better in practice than in games

This... Grier was more of a gamer. It took him heroic efforts vs UT and an awesome game vs Ole Miss to put Treon behind him. He was a gamer and probably not a good practice type player. LDR probably looked in practice like he did in the UK game.

LDR is going to be out of Spring practice.

I find it hard to believe he would start the season.

For myself this is the most highly anticipated Spring practice/game I've wanted to see since Wuerfferl graduated. QB position wise anyway.

In the past we pretty much knew Leak would eventually beat out Ingle Martin. We knew Tebow would be a stud. Brantley pretty much had the position sewed up especially after Cam left. We knew Palmer would pretty much start the season but Rex or Brock could unseat him as the season progresses with the way Spur pulled the hook on underachieving QB's.

I hope both Trask and Franks get equal time with the first team. Heck I hope Toney gets more time in the spring over LDR. We've seen what LDR is in all situations. We need to see the other guys.
Luke Del Rio is out for the spring. He's not starting against Michigan.

Mc can't recruit has been the theme of some here for months now.

Henderson is one of 6 DB's in the class and one of 11 of the top 50 prospects in Florida signed by the Gators, which is the most of any school in the state. The Gators, after signing four of the state's top 50 prospects in 2016, nearly tripled that total Wednesday.
(Florida Top 50 Recruits -- UF 11 - reFSUcks 8 - scUM 8)

So it's time to hear all of those that have been so constantly dissing on Mc for not being able to recruit the state of Florida, to now switch over and begin harping on the scUM Retch and the criminole Jimblow for letting Mc out recruit them.

2017 QB's,,, jmoho's and/or WAG.

1. Trask Fr EE > rsFr - at 6-4 235 4.6/40, he could run, if that's the way they want to go. (not)
2. Franks Fr EE > rsFr - He's a 6-6 PP type, but has yet to show that he can handle pressure
3. Toney Fr EE (wildcat? - only starts if both 1 & 2 go down injured, gets a rs if not needed)
~ The first 3 would have to suck mightily from Spring through Aug for LDR to start vs Mich

4. LDR rsJr - begins the learning process for his coaching career (i.e. Brian Schottenheimer)
5. Allen Fr - summer arrival date, he likely takes a redshirt
~ IF the 1st 3 did suck mightily, then Allen would compete with LDR in Fall practice to find the Mich starter, please gawd no...:confused:
===============

WR's Green and Robinson are both solid UA-AA's.

The #1 Rated RB in Florida HS for 2017 was Lemons.
The other RB is Malik Davis. He broke Ray Ray McClouds (now at Clemson) Hillsborough Co. (Tampa Bay Area) Career Rushing Yards Record by 1,000+ yds. :eek:

#2 Ray Ray McCloud 5-9 175 - 5,765 Yds -- Currently at Clemson.
#1 Malik Davis 5-11 190 - 7,025 Yds -- Incoming Fr at Florida. (+1,260 yds)
Career 8.5 ypc, Senior Season 11.5 ypc.

Gamble is the #1 rated TE from Florida, #10 in the nation.

QB's Allen and Toney - Better than they are ranked imo, Allen in particular.

OL - The Florida #3 OT Telfort and another solid 4 star in T.J. Moore

DL - 4 Studs: DE Carter, DT Slaton - DT Campbell - DT Conliffe

LB - Randy Shannon brought in 4 mostly under the radar LB's, but given his past history with LB'ers, and his recent history with UF LB'ers (K.Johnson-Reese-Joseph), I'm pretty happy with the 4 that he got.

DB's? Lay-O-Ded!!!
Marco Wilson 6-0 185
C.J. Henderson 6-0 174
Brad Stewart 6-0 194

Brian Edwards 6-2 188
Donovan Stiner 6-2 185
Shawn Davis 6-1 195
--------
Mc - "I think we'll enjoy a nice evening with a great class. What was it? A strong finish,'' he said, alluding to a question earlier from a reporter. "Is that what it was? Appreciate it." -- And off into the late afternoon sun he went. Still smiling. (me - iG - too)

http://floridagators.com/news/2017/...s-close-strong-mcelwain-pleased-by-surge.aspx
==============
==============

Pickin' da bone....

Hillsbouough County (Tampa Bay Area) All Time Career Rushing Yards Records:

#2 RB Ray Ray McCloud 5-9 175 ***** - 5,765 Yds -- Currently at Clemson.

#1 RB Malik Davis 5-11 190 *** - 7,025 Yds -- Incoming Fr at Florida.
Career 8.5 ypc, Senior Season 11.5 ypc.

Davis had 1,260 more yds than Ray Ray had in his HS career.
=================

QB Hunter Johnson 6-2 201 ***** Sr Season:- Brownsburg, IN
166 of 318 for 52.2%, 2,233 yds, 7.02 yds/att, 25 TD's, 12 Ints, L-67, QBR 85.3

QB Jake Allen 6-3 203 *** Sr Season - Fort Lauderdale, FL 7A - 3x State Champs
157 of 258 for 60.9%, 2,311 yds, 8.96 yds/att, 27 TD's, 7 Ints, L-59, QBR 113.7
==================

I don't G-a-S what stars that rivals ranking hands out, I wouldn't trade UF's 3 Star's Davis and Allen, for Clemson's 5 Star's McCloud and Johnson.
WTF did the freakin' rivals twits base their rankings on anyway??? o_O

Both of UF's guys are bigger and stronger with better stats.
So unless the rivals twits have some secret 'magic' formula for basing their star ratings on, I'm calling BS.... :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: rdgtr
[

He did not sniff the field because he was the emergency backup. It is the reason why he is out for Spring. He could have had his surgery a few months ago, but took a bullet for the team and would have been called in to at least hand off, if needed. He was not needed so after the bowl game he is taking care of the injury.

He may not be the starter in '17, however don't count him 100% out for the Fall. Mac knows what LDR did for the team the last couple of months.

Agree, to me Robinson completely solidified me seeing this as a VERY good class. He and Conliffe are my two favorite gets.

I am glad the admin gave Mac a shot with Robinson, like him or hate him, Mac has done the 'right' thing on all occasions and certainly deserves a chance to handle this well.

If nothing else, what happened today is it either put Mac on the path to be successful or if he can't fix on field performance over the next two seasons he has established a talented and balanced roster so the next coach wouldn't need to fix it.

Ah, so now you are officially on the four year train, I like it!

Reactions: instaGATOR
Nothing really changes. :cool:

Haters gonna hate. :mad:

Whiners gonna whine... :confused:

(91 > 21 > 12 > 9....) :p

Well, Robinson, Lemmons and Slaton are all on the bubble still to qualify. The university accepted their LOIs, but as Blake stated, all of them still have work to do and there is a lot of time between now and June. There are reasons all other schools cooled on them and UF ended up being the only real P5 option.

I think at least one will not be enrolled by fall camp.

Well, Robinson, Lemmons and Slaton are all on the bubble still to qualify. The university accepted their LOIs, but as Blake stated, all of them still have work to do and there is a lot of time between now and June. There are reasons all other schools cooled on them and UF ended up being the only real P5 option.

I think at least one will not be enrolled by fall camp.

Ignore him, if the class was rated #18 he would be calling top 5

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT